The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Piston killing the harvester at the start of the match shouldn't be a thing

Dreamnomad
Dreamnomad Member Posts: 3,847

There simply shouldn't be a way for map makers to auto kill harvesters. If the raider kills the harvester, cool. If the harvester dies from a trap triggered by the raider, cool. If the harvester dies as soon as the match starts, not cool. I can't even begin to understand why this isn't fixed yet. So easy to do to. Just move the start destination of harvester back one tile.

Comments

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 9,197

It seems pretty cheap, but Harvey dies so easily anyway, I don't really think it's an issue. The important thing is that a valid path does exist, is has to to be active, you shouldn't have to rely on following Harv's to find it, outposts are only so big.

• HangryMogwai
    HangryMogwai Member Posts: 36

In agreement that the HRV Piston Glitch needs to be fixed. Starting to see it in back to back matches and don’t really want to spend more time finding the entrance than it’d take to complete the outpost (especially on a 4500+ capacity outpost). Hate seeing it too as some of the folks using it have really original looking bases (saw a pirate ship this morning), but I’m not about to give accolades for using annoying exploits.

• TragicSolitude
    TragicSolitude Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 7,127

I understand maze creators not wanting the HRV to completely negate their work. Some people enjoy mazes. (Me, I've learned if I don't want to spend 30+ minutes wandering lost, then I should just hug the wall because then at some point I have to arrive at the GenMat. Mazes without some sort of hint/puzzle are not my thing.)

The game needs a tagging system so Builders who create mazes or any type of multi-path layout can tag their bases as such and people who want to play on them can and people who don't want to can avoid them.

I can't even begin to understand why this isn't fixed yet.

Was killing HRV a big issue during the beta?

• Darkyan
    Darkyan Member Posts: 122

I'll make harvey walk in circle around the base for 5 minutes with just blocks and wedges and get it killed by irregular piston at the end don't tempt me.

jkjk, I'm not that evil.

but I do kill harvey because I make pitfalls on small maps and harvey just makes them redundant since they're directly at the entrance. And it's super obvious if harvey takes a hard right turn at the beginning, that something shady is going on.

• Varzin
    Varzin Member Posts: 12

Might be simpler to just allow Harvey to "respawn" (deliver a new one) after a set amount of time if the current one dies. Like if it dies there's a 30 second timer before a new one is delivered at the start or something like that. If there's a piston or other trap at the start killing Harvey you can break it to save the next one.

• wydyadoit
    wydyadoit Member Posts: 1,145

so... i don't use the piston trick, but i DO put a ton of ranged eagle eye units at the front of some of my bases and then utilize explosives throughout the path. so in most cases the harvester dies anyway or you lose him because you take too long messing around at the start. and if you wait for him to go down, come back and restart his path... you'll be sitting in at least... one of my maps for nearly thirty minutes.

which if you'd just tried to figure it out on your own you'd probably have finished it in less than 5. because it's like... 5300 capacity... and there are 4300 capacity in blocks.

• drsoontm
    drsoontm Member Posts: 4,572

Agreed. That's why I report & block such outposts.

• Redbeard_Steel
    Redbeard_Steel Member Posts: 32

I never ran into this in the Beta, but it's possible I just missed it I suppose? It came on like a wave for me a few days ago. Saw it once, then next day it was just every other base.

Someone else suggested a button that respawns HRV, I agree that's likely the easiest fix all around.

• TragicSolitude

I don't remember it being a problem in beta, but I thought maybe I'd just missed it or something. OP made it sound like it's a long-time ongoing issue, but until today they've only done the Launch Day patch (which would mean it was an issue in the beta) and a patch to help with stability (and I don't remember much if any talk about Harvey dying before that patch released, either).

• Dreamnomad

Oh, let me clarify something. I only started playing this game 2 weeks ago. I don't even know how long this game has been online. I just started playing since it was a free game with playstation network. Maybe it's a new thing that's spreading like a virus. I just know that it shouldn't be a thing at all. Clearly it goes against the spirit of the game.

• chezpizza
    chezpizza Member Posts: 120

Harvey killing wasnt a big thing i saw in bases I played during the beta nor was the corresive block exploit.

I agree builders should have the ability to tag their base as a mazes perhaps even 2 player raids. Maybe depending on the tag hrv will react differently or not at all.

Personally mazes are frustrating simply because there is no payoff or reason for it. Some have created mazes that venture toward tombs but many other have not.

• Dreamnomad

Yeah, mazes as a rule suck. I came across a unique dungeon recently that was a reverse maze. The dungeon was a large box with a clearly marked route to the roof. On the roof was a plasma cube entrance and the raider could safely drop down next to the gen mat. Once you pick up the gen mat, there are more plasma cubes that activate near the roof entrance making it impossible to grapple back out. Then you just go down the only path back towards the entrance which naturally has guards and traps.

The interesting thing was when you get to the entrance there are multiple dummy paths so if you don't follow the dungeon builders design you could get lost and waste a bunch of time finding the gen mat. This dungeon also had a piston killing harvester at the start of the match. This was the only dungeon I've come across where I felt killing the harvester was actually functional. Now with all that said, I still stand by my opinion that it is for the greater good that this practice is abolished.

• AMOGUS
    AMOGUS Member Posts: 482

I love it when people deliberately being smart is somehow a "glitch", really shows that the DBD crowd is coming to MYM with their mindsets. Something tells me you all would hate games like Mario Maker.

And finding the entrance takes under a minute, if it's not at the start of the base. Harvey's route logic is a thing, just search a base with the pathing in mind and you'll find it quickly.

• Dreamnomad

Just to be clear, I'm not searching jack. If the outpost builder wants to kill Harvey then I'm abandoning that raid and going elsewhere. If they want to lose out on kills then so be it I guess.

• MadMoeZel
    MadMoeZel Member Posts: 685

okay, lets say they patch harvey killing with a piston (which they should, every other piston pauses to let harvey pass) i can still kill him with deadman switch timed patrols. and thats 100% legal, not a bug. why is it that only the raider is allowed to kill harvey? seems a little entitled. harvey's job is to verify the path, he did that. i'm allowed to take information from you as a builder, i'm also allowed to give you false information. i agree the piston method shouldn't work but that doesn't remove the ability to kill harvey. and in a side note, you can break that piston before harvey dies if you're fast enough. you can't stop my dead man switch kill.

• OogieBoogie
    OogieBoogie Member Posts: 190

Because it's very obvious that it's a glitch. The devs went out of there way to make pistons stop when the HRV approaches, so they clearly don't want them killing it. It's an oversight (i.e. bug/glitch) that the piston won't stop if the HRV is already in its path at the start of the raid.

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 9,197

Glitch or not, I haven't once had an issue with an outpost that kills harvey. I havent come across a 'maze' outpost that has taken more than 10 minutes to complete in total, and a few of the harvey killing outposts have been genuinely well made and fun.

• MadMoeZel

and i don't play maps over 250 meters. so if you make those you won't see me. everyone has a prefered playstyle. some of us like to challenge the raider's wit rather than having them play follow the ai leader.

• Nahasno
    Nahasno Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 48

What's the problem? I can build you an entrance where the traps kill harv for sure even if the player survives. Unless the raiders wait with entering the outpost until harv is deeper in the outpost. The outcome is the same, and i limited your choice - you have to wait with starting, for harv to survive. Flamer Bombdispenser combo and a rampdown with an u-turn at the end does the trick nicely. I followed all the rules and still can be almost 100 sure that you have to play the outpost without harv. The means are different but both get the raider stranded in an outpost without guide. The only way except for waiting til the danger is over is to try to shield the hary with a consumable... which would be ideal from my( the builders) point of view.

• Dreamnomad

Honestly, I'm far more accepting of all the options you mentioned. If you want to spend a bunch of resources pathing a deadman's trap guard to try and kill it then cool, go for it. I at the very least have the opportunity to defend the harvester that way. All of those options you mentioned also cost substantial more resources than a single piston.

• Ilya_Lizard
    Ilya_Lizard Member Posts: 26

Just for a protocol - the most exciting bases I met lately, ones that offered not just a straight route with some traps but a real little adventure in a dungeon - all were of the kind where Harvey gets killed initially.

• MadMoeZel

the piston can be broken before it kills harvey, DMS can not be stopped even with a shield if it is built properly.

• AMOGUS

These people really are laughable, they don't want to even think on how to approach a base, they just want bases to be easy and short and it shows. Something, something on how "their time is valuable" (why are you playing games then???) when it really isn't (you probably work at McDonalds) and they're just impatient and making excuses.

If you don't want to deal with these "maze" bases, play on Dangerous or Normal where you CAN get your little 1 minute wins consistently. Problem solved.

• AMOGUS

Nah, you can try playing without a guide + meat shield instead of getting your hand held for a change.

• DirtyJanitor
    DirtyJanitor Member Posts: 20

Dreamnomad: completely reasonable reply that shows they appreciate hard maybe even "maze like" bases.

AMOGUS: A basic childish response in attempt to make OP feel inferior.

Username says it all, almost EVERY among us user I've come across has been... Suss

• DirtyJanitor

I came across one outpost so far that did this and I was caught Waay off guard, I thought Harvey respawned after some time but never really noticed aha

So I did a lil death dance around him(hoping the builder gets a kick outta of it) and pushed through the dungeon.

It was SO much fun, I appreciate a good dungeon and that's what initially brought me to this game. The idea of people making me free dungeons to raid whenever I want haha

The funny(and cool) thing is, I died soo many times... but it wasn't even THAT big or Hard aha when I finally reached the end I realized there was even a BACK ENTRANCE D:

This builder got me so good man aha I gave them the "Fun" and "Ingenious" accolades because that felt like a REAL dungeon crawl albeit a very short one.

They should really allow you to give more accolades tbh, don't know why games always do this...

• DirtyJanitor
    edited April 2023

That being said, I was a lil disappointed when I found out that a lil box man would basically just... show you the way. But at the same time these are really just meant to be bases to raid, not really mazes.(so I appreciate them when I see em)

It IS an exploit that should be fixed like any other but I am actually very glad he does Not respawn upon death, as I orginally expected to have to find my way to the genmat myself.

I enjoy the challenge but that IS just my personal preference.

Post edited by DirtyJanitor on
  • Dreamnomad

9 times out of 10, I kill the Harvester myself. He's almost gotten me killed a few times where I trigger a trap and try to back up out of the way only to bump into him. But that is my choice. If a base builder auto-kills Harvey then you generally know you are in for a bad time. Not because of difficulty. Just about every maze map I've run into wasn't especially hard since they generally spread their traps out. It just turns into a huge time suck that isn't worth it. So you know what? I'm going to do a 180 on this issue. Go ahead and kill Harvey. That way I know to immediately abandon that mission and get on with a mission that is worth my time.

• TragicSolitude

Well, it sounds like BHVR agrees that the HRV's death should be the Raider's choice/fault:

Q: Will anything be done about players killing the Harvester on spawn with the Death Piston trap? 

A: There are ultimately two categories of “killing the Harvester”. What is considered fair game and what is considered unfair. Ideally, we want to prevent any situation where the Harvester is killed without the Raider having any chances to prevent it from happening. As an example, we are looking into fixing traps that are placed directly where the Harvester spawns.  

However, it is a dangerous world out there and poor Harvey will still succumb to devious Builder contraption if Raiders are not careful. 

From today's AMA, for anyone who missed it: https://www.reddit.com/r/MeetYourMakerGame/comments/1327rv3/qa_with_the_dev_team_april_2023/

I still think it'd be nice to have a tagging system where "maze" or "multi-path" is an option and Outposts with that tag can choose not to spawn the HRV in at the beginning, so Builders can still do that and any Raider who goes to one of those Outposts wants to be there. That's my own personal feeling on the matter, though.

• Dreamnomad

I actually like your idea. If it was information that was available before hand then it's fine. Though, I do think the raiders should have the option to abandon that mission without playing in case they are trying to work towards a particular advisor buff and the option they want is blocked by maze map. Though if you build a maze and that information is available before hand then you might as well plan on having close to zero raiders enter your base.

• AMOGUS

It's funny how you focused on the one response where I decided to not waste time on entitled reasoning. And not the other ones where I elaborated. And that's also completely false, their reply isn't reasonable, Dreamnomad actually said they want Builders to spend a fuckton of resources trying to kill Harvey and that they should, basically, "have the chance to defend Harvey even then".

Because Raiders have "places to be", and "their time is valuable" (Why are you playing a game then?), according to this community, so therefore they shouldn't be expected to use their eyes to find an entrance and should have a "get out of a trap free" card available.

Your username says more btw, you tried to step in and clean up for OP and failed. lmao

• chezpizza
    chezpizza Member Posts: 120

Why is killing harvey for maze outpost a bad thing? Plain and simple, many people are bad level designers and having too many of them may turn folks off the game.

A lot of the maze outpost I have played are not good. Ill give outposts that use the harvey death trick a try but ill quit if it drags on.

A problem i see is these maze builders have all thier hallways looking the same and give no frame of reference for the player. So you end up with the raiders just aimless wandering around the outpost until they quit. This is the biggest reason why the glitch needs to be fixed.

So to all those maze builders, please use the cosmetics or different blocks to give the raider either hints or at least a frame of reference. Something the raider can use to learn your base, "ok, not the red hallway perhaps it's the blue corridor." I do enjoy a well designed maze every now and then.

• Dreamnomad

What's up with the hostility? You need to just relax dude. I'm over the whole harvester thing. Kill it. Don't kill it. No skin off my back. I just abandon maps with pistons killing harvester now.

• DirtyJanitor

Haha I can't believe you want to kill Harvey Dead soo badly.. even the Devs disagree with your "logic".

I read the whole chain and halfway agreed with you untill you chose to comment like a lil kid.. XD sorry bruh but actually no

Learn how to Speak without insulting others and then Maybe I'll respond to you in kind.. until then Sit Down please..

Your opinion means absolutely NOTHING hahahah XD

• DirtyJanitor

I understand what you mean but that IS the point of exploring a good maze right? Wandering around only to realize, "ugh! I should've turned there!" But I realize to each there own.

A bug is a bug and should be fixed like any other, but literally the LAST two bases I raided It didn't matter cause I wasn't getting through the front without Harvey dying anyway haha

If you actually TRY and or have a BRAIN, you can actually get around Harvey showing the raider the way WITHOUT spawn killing him like a low class, Jackass..

That is why I think this game has SOO much potential haha

• Amaroq64
    Amaroq64 Member Posts: 109
    edited May 2023

You could also just build your maze in such a way that harvey has to traverse the entire thing in a roundabout way that takes 20 minutes to complete his route, but the player has access to just jump over blocks to whatever path they intend to explore. Or put a 2nd wave cube at the junctions so the player can see their choices but Harvey has to go all the way around.

• AMOGUS

"What's up with the hostility when I'm posting bad takes? Anyways, I'm totally over the whole harvester thing... except I insta abandon bases that kill Harvey with pistons."

• AMOGUS

Ironic how you say I'm choosing to comment like a child, yet here you are clearly mentally collapsing and doing the same thing?

And yeah, I already noted that the devs are listening to the wrong complaints and not addressing source issues. Your point?

• DirtyJanitor

"Learn how to Speak without insulting others and then Maybe I'll respond to you in kind.. until then Sit Down please..

Your opinion means absolutely NOTHING hahahah XD"

• DirtyJanitor

I'm halfway inclined to believe this is a double account.. bawhahaha XD

What no life, basement dweller goes this hard over a basic glitch in a video game that simply should be fixed? Aha

Especially when I essentially agreed that Harv showing the path was too easy ahaha XD somebody needs to punish their freakin children.

Now child, Sit Down please, your opinion means absolutely NOTHING haha XD

• MadMoeZel
    edited May 2023

LMAO this guy thinks people care enough to make an account just for him. you're special my guy. my post pointed out that you told someone not to insult others, then insulted someone, then i gave you back the exact energy you gave to everyone else. and you got so offended you had to defend yourself by doubling down. thanks for being a toxic individual. i'm gonna continue to laugh at your hillarious hypocritical nonsense and making fun of it.

edit - and apparently the account i made just for him somehow has more posts than his origonal account. man i really worked hard to try and hide that i made this account JUST FOR YOU dirty janitor, you caught me. HAHAHAHA

edit 2 - Now child, Sit Down please, your opinion means absolutely NOTHING haha XD

cause i figure copying his tag-line will make him even madder.

• DirtyJanitor
    edited May 2023

Ooh noo, I would never consider myself so special aha

I'm sure you made this important account just to attack and insult whoever disagrees with you aha especially considering "AmOgUs" has over 800 post(excuse me 400 XD) so far on a Fresh video game forum aha XD

BUT even if this isn't a alt account and I'm COMPLETELY wrong and ignorant...

"Now child, Sit Down please, your opinion means absolutely NOTHING haha XD"

"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery that mediocrity can pay to greatness." - Oscar Wilde

Thx lad

• MadMoeZel
    edited May 2023

oh no, imitating oscar wilde

what a way to publicly declare that you're mediocre.

• DirtyJanitor

"Now child, Sit Down please, your opinion means absolutely NOTHING haha XD"

• Dreamnomad

Can we just lock this thread already? It clearly isn't serving it's purpose anymore.

• MadMoeZel

that would require behavior to actually have staff on this forum. they don't.

• DirtyJanitor

More than agree, I just got through playing another base actually aha I couldn't get through with Harvey cause sub clones we're shooting at me haha

Then he died to a trap... this game has great potential so far, hope it gains more traction and grows in a positive way.

If a toxic community dosen't grow out of it first aha

• DirtyJanitor

(My comment deleted?)

More than agree, I just got through playing an outpost actually, I couldn't even get through the front with Harv because sub clones kept shooting at me aha

Then he died to a trap... and I found a backroom with NO traps and found the genmat without dying haha XD

This game has So much potential and I hope it continues to grow and progress in a positive way.

That is, if a toxic community dosen't get to it first hah (inevitable)