Plasma sentinel shouldn't be only 50 points (details inside)

MadMoeZel
MadMoeZel Member Posts: 685

Plasma sentinel has the largest range of any trap, fires a homing missile, and applies an area denial affect.

lets compare this to other ranged traps

Incinerator 70 base cost, range 4, non-tracking, continuous fire.

Boltshot 50 base cost, range of 7(threatens 10+4with tracking potential), non-tracking(65 with tracking), single use (80 for 2x and tracking)

Bomb ejector 70 base cost, range 5, non-tracking, destroys nearby traps, single use, slightly unpredictable.

Plasma Sentinel 50 base cost, 5.25(spherical), tracking, continuous fire, area denial at cost 65.

Plasma sentinel in their current state when staggered create a machine-gun style firing pattern of area denial fireballs. these fireballs pierce flash barrier if they activate before it's deployed or if they are triggered at the edge of the barrier. while both the projectile and cloud can kill a raider, the cloud can not kill a guard. I have no issue with their functionality but i believe their power makes them at minimum a 70 base cost trap if not possibly 80.

Comments

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 9,236

The 'area denial' is a mod. Without the mod, it's basically a static Hornet with a massive hitbox.

• MadMoeZel

it provides area denial for less cost than an incinerator which has area denial built in along with increased range.

• MadMoeZel

to clarify i mean the sentinal has increased range over the incinerator

• MythicMikeneto
    MythicMikeneto Member Posts: 69

Some intersting thoughts here. I like the idea of it costing a bit more and the reasonings. It may not sovle the issue with 4000+ capacity bases out there.

Ive recently noticed a limiter bar in the build editor for the max number of a singke trap that can be used. It may have just been for the small base I was working on, but it may be a better answer than increased cost.

I have yet to run into real issues facing the plasma cube, and moreso find a way to use them effectively.

I ran one build that had a masive room of them with other traps. Ended up winning as a speed run only having to break one arrow trap on my way out.

Another was just a long halway of plasmas on all four surfaces. A few grenades to get started and 3 bolts, a melee, and some forward and back footwork and I beat it with 0-1 death.

Both were not the best builds in my opinon, but hey I got my gen mat and resources, so I am satisfied.

• Amaroq64
    Amaroq64 Member Posts: 109

I feel the opposite way about them. They're useless and I don't understand why they're in the game. I have never been killed by one, not even by killboxes made out of them, and I have never seen anyone else killed by one either.

• magic1236
    magic1236 Member Posts: 106

Something I have notice is they don’t have homing, they have predictive leading but not homing. Once that shot is in the air it will not change direction. But they do try to shoot where the raider will be or was

• MadMoeZel

the issue isn't they kill people, it's that they're spammed with plasma cloud for area denial which only has the purpose of making the raider sit in the other room waiting for it to end. the function that they provide for the cost isn't balanced well. they do the same thing as an incinerator for 5 cost less with larger range. the only drawback being their massive hitbox, but lets be honest, all traps have hitboxes that are more than sufficent to kill them before they can do their damage.