The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Why the game is not retaining players? BHV needs to work out why.

noggieB
noggieB Alpha Surveyor Posts: 63

https://steamcharts.com/app/1194810#1m

My suggestion to BHV:

• When someone eXits the game, THIS is the moment to offer the player a survey. (Not when the game opens.)
  • Surveys are especially important for new players, or players who haven't played in a while, and have come back but only played a short session (this might indicate frustration).
  • We need to find out what bothers them about the game. So we can fix it, and retain them!
  • (The Cycle: Frontier offers their survey on the "Are you sure you want to exit?" dialog. Their season 3 launch has not gone too badly.)

We on the forums might have opinions. But we are regular players. So we don't have the same experience as new players who quit the game. Our issues can be addressed eventually. But most important is to build a player base of regular raiders, otherwise the fine details won't matter!

Comments

• noggieB
    noggieB Alpha Surveyor Posts: 63

My theory is:

• Early bases are a bit too punishing for new players. Like some "Normal" outposts are fine, but some are a bit too tough for new players.
    • After a couple of weeks, there is not so much feeling of progression, loss of incentive. I don't think grinding for bronze/silver/gold cosmetics will do it. But perhaps a model like Apex Legelds, where there are tonnes of cosmetics, and with enough grind you can get the ones you really want. That might keep people playing?

But as I say, it's difficult for a regular player to imagine the issues of someone who quit the game. We really need to hear from the people who aren't here!

• MadMoeZel
    MadMoeZel Member Posts: 685

my theory is the game was populated largely by players who got the game for free. those players felt they deserved free loot and easy bases. they also play on controler, this game is SIGNIFIGANTLY harder on controller i feel. the game was only really sold to the DBD community, who we know from experience are toxic and get malding just because a specific ability got used (imagine if a builder blocked a raider because they use shields), that kind of "behavior" pun intended.

They then gave the ability to those players to block one another. BUT, these people likely didn't read that when they block a builder, that builder also can't raid their bases. So players ended up in difficult outposts, or content they don't like (i don't like mazes) and instead of just leaving and abandoning they would block the builder, reducing the number of people that were able to raid them. this lowered the raid count for a lot of people leading to editing matchmaking which caused bugs that led to ZERO raids for many players, more than once this has happened.

there was little advertising done for the game that i saw. the only time i encountered an ad for MYM, was on twitch, while in MYM streams. I really think we should be trying to get this game in front of the eyes of the darksouls, sekiro, and D&D communities. Mindsets like that are what will push the game forward. more "free" will just lead to a childlike reduction in difficulty.

• chezpizza
    chezpizza Member Posts: 120

So it's been a couple of weeks since I last played. Why? Well I have been playing since the beta and I feel burnt out.

Raiding in mym was fun. Lot of creativity out there but user-generated content games regardless of difficulty kinda feel samey after awhile i.e. Mario maker, spore galactic adventures, or xbox's short-lived "project spark". So unless you are a dedicated builder, you will probably just get bored. This is just my experience with these types of games.

I believe once the devs allow folks to search for outposts it would help keep retention up as well as adding things for the raiders to do other than raiding, like more weapon crafting, base upgrades, etc.

• Varzin
    Varzin Member Posts: 12

I view MYM as kind of an unfortunate scenario because I really do think the devs are trying to make this a good game and I really do think they've done a good job so far. I think that MYM does what it does (base raiding/building) very well...but that's really all it's got going for it. This is a game that is in desperate need of more content, namely game modes, social features, and unlockable cosmetics outside of DLC and season rewards.

Trying to implement new modes given the current design of the base builder system is tough since you either have to work within the bounds of the current system (which doesn't leave much room for different gameplay styles) or overhaul it to support new features which at this stage of development would be a very heavy lift.

Even as a strictly solo player I can see that MYM needs more on the social side. Matchmaking for multiplayer raiding comes to mind. I've seen people ask for the ability to search for different bases to raid as well. At the moment it feels like there's nothing connecting players in this game.

It's borderline inexcusable that there are so few cosmetics in the game and that NONE of them can be acquired through normal gameplay. Most weapons don't even have an alternate skin yet. I know some people don't see cosmetics as being very important but for many others getting to make your character look cool is part of the fun and therefore an integral part of the game. End of season rewards are simply not enough, especially if those rewards are just a recolor of an existing skin. Plus this gives players something more to strive for beyond unlocking all the mods, something like a sword skin that unlocks after you loot 100 forsaken tombs gives players a goal to chase. That's a pretty basic example but you get my point.

MYM gives me a strong Deep Rock Galactic vibe. You load into a home base where you can change your loadout and unlock stuff, select a mission from a set of randomly assigned options, go into the mission, return to home base after, rinse and repeat. There's different "classes" and weapons to choose how you approach missions which can be modded to suit your playstyle. The thing is that DRG, on the day of its official launch, already did everything better, there's more to do, more to see, more to get. MYM, even now, feels like it's still in beta by comparison. It's a very good beta, one I still sometimes enjoy playing, but it's just not ready to be called a complete game yet.