The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Problem with the new Pantheon of builders

I'll put this here, because it's not directly talking about the in game stuff:

Problem: an "enjoyable experience" can be everything, so a "deathbox", despite being very "Brutal". Usually every base that is 7+ kill ratio, which is or should be a very "Brutal" accolade, IS a "Deathbox"/"Killbox" usually, because every super cool trap combination just gets countered by Arc Barrier with Nautilius perks, Phoenix Pod, or Falconic Plasmabow.

Also about the "Ingenious": a giant disjointed maze with 5/6 floors with a little death box at the end is VERY Ingenious and Brutal. So what defines fun, as always?

Comments

• Dreamnomad
    Dreamnomad Member Posts: 3,850

I think you are overthinking it. When you come across an outpost that is really difficult but fair, you know it. It is absolutely possible to make a "brutal" outpost that isn't a killbox. Likewise, you can make some really ingenious outposts that aren't garbage mazes. I'll give you an example. I saw a youtube video from a streamer called Dakkabooms raiding an outpost from Pigeon_Chest. The builder made a "golf" outpost with an intended spot for the raider to use the cannon to launch their bombs. There were clearly marked holes. If the raider successfully landed their cannon shots into the holes they would go down and blow up areas of the inside of the outpost making it easier to go through. If that isn't ingenious then I don't know what is.

• Leonardo1ita
    Leonardo1ita Member Posts: 2,277

I'd say that is more Artistic that Ingenious, maybe a wild card, because the point of Ingenious is who has the most Ingenious combo that kills you, not that advantages the raider. Or at least that seemed the definition.

• Dreamnomad

Ingenious - clever, original, and inventive.

Rethinking how the game is played is the very definition of ingenious. If someone came up with a really cool, clearly marked parkour course for the raider to get to the gen mat or they could follow a 2000 meter harvest trail, I would call that ingenious too. I've seen some really clever use of splash mods on acid cubes lately that I found ingenious as well. Coming up with very clever dead man switch traps is also ingenious. Really cleverly done false entrances can be ingenious too. I would argue that dangerous isn't a necessary component to being ingenious though. I would also argue that you can come up with something super clever but if it is just plain annoying or tedious for the raider that it shouldn't and most likely won't win.

• Leonardo1ita
    Leonardo1ita Member Posts: 2,277

The problem is that we need something to objectively evaluate difficulty, and mazes apart (which are annoying), if a base is super "Brutal", then by definition it will kill you. If without exploit, you don't find it fun for a personal reason, not an "objectivable" reason like a maze, then that doesn't matter, fun or not the toughest base to beat must win that prize. Especially IF it's a base that able to counter every raider defence, force you to use every equipment possible, etc.

• Dreamnomad

Again, I think you are overthinking this thing. Realistically, there will be thousands of entries and only a handful of judges with limited time to go through them. If we are lucky, maybe 20% of the entries will even be seen by the judges. Just temper your expectations.