Should builders be given more decorative options to add letters and messages on walls?

rootisonfire
rootisonfire Member Posts: 38

Please choose the option that best represents your opinion. Feel free to comment if you don't think the answers I provided with rationale reflects your reasoning entirely.

Should builders be given more decorative options to add letters and messages on walls? 9 votes

Yes, it would enhance the interactive and immersive experience of the map by allowing builders to communicate with raiders through helpful, deceptive, riddles, and warning messages.
33%
Leonardo1itahastarkisWarlord1981NL 3 votes
No, builders do not need to communicate with raiders. The existing elements in the map are sufficient.
33%
MadMoeZelnoggieBzbord 3 votes
Maybe, but there should be restrictions in place to prevent cluttering the map with useless or inappropriate messages.
22%
Seraphorrootisonfire 2 votes
I'm not sure/Undecided, does the ability to add letters have limitations on the words or messages that can be used?
11%
GhastlySkull 1 vote

Comments

• zbord
    zbord Member Posts: 18
    No, builders do not need to communicate with raiders. The existing elements in the map are sufficient.

While I'd love to have such options, the immaturity of so many people as a whole would undoubtedly bring a lot of unwelcome letter combinations into play. Setting limits would be close to impossible and, ever the creative ones, players would find workarounds. Localizing for other languages adds even more difficulty to such a task.

I know one of the AMA developer sessions on reddit had a question like this answered. I vote no, but not because the existing elements are sufficient. There could be improvement on that front.

• rootisonfire
    Maybe, but there should be restrictions in place to prevent cluttering the map with useless or inappropriate messages.

@zbord

I completely understand and share your concerns regarding the potential misuse and immaturity of players when given the ability to add letters and messages on walls. It's crucial to ensure that any feature introduced maintains a safe and positive environment for all players.

Taking your concerns into account, I'd like to propose an idea that could address these worries while still providing a means of communication for builders. What if we limit the available words to a specific set that is generally universally understood (so translating them by language settings could be more straightforward) and lacks nuances that could be combined into anything inappropriate?

I suggest considering words like "Danger," "Exit," "Welcome," "Stop," "Help," "Go," "Explore," and "Quest." These words have clear meanings and are less likely to be misinterpreted or combined into inappropriate phrases. By restricting the options to this specific set of words, we minimize the risk of unintended messages while still enabling builders to communicate and enhance the interactive experience of the game.

By implementing this limited word selection, we can focus on simplicity and universality, ensuring that the messages shared by builders remain within safe and acceptable boundaries. However, it's important to note that effective moderation and reporting mechanisms should accompany this feature to promptly address any concerns that may arise.

Thank you for raising your concerns, and I believe this proposal strikes a balance between enabling communication and mitigating potential risks. I'd love to hear your thoughts on this approach.

rootisonfire

• rootisonfire
    edited May 2023

• Warlord1981NL
    Warlord1981NL Member Posts: 262
    edited May 2023
    Yes, it would enhance the interactive and immersive experience of the map by allowing builders to communicate with raiders through helpful, deceptive, riddles, and warning messages.

Completely unrestricted letters, words, sentences are the way to go. The game is rated 16+ and there is as such no reason to not allow for it despite what less savory figures might write. Grow up and deal with it.

• rootisonfire

It is true that the game is rated for mature audiences, and freedom of speech is important. However, I think it is crucial to consider the overall gaming experience for all players, including those who may be younger or prefer a respectful environment. We all know kids play games they really shouldn’t. Do you or I really need to be able to graffiti cusses and bitterness just so we feel unrestrained?

Instead of focusing on others growing up to accommodate our desires, I think we should strive for collective growth as a gaming community. By implementing some restrictions on the content that can be added to map decorations, we would demonstrate more maturity. It would ensure that everyone can enjoy the game without questioning why developers allowed players the ability to write lewd or unrestricted things on the wall simply because they can. It's also worth mentioning that developers need to consider legal aspects, such as potential lawsuits, when designing or adding things into the game.

Achieving a balance between creative expression and maintaining a respectful and lore accurate environment is key. While we have the freedom to express ourselves in our own private property, on Twitter, and with our voices. I think it's important to recognize that when we engage in a shared gaming environment, the developers have the ultimate say in what is allowed or not allowed. And it may not be as simple as we think it should be. For the sake of maintaining the overall game and ensuring the well-being of the player base as a whole laws and order makes for a better society. The servers that enable us to play were made and kept alive by the developers, and they have a responsibility to create an environment that is enjoyable and inclusive for all players.

Thank you once again for sharing your thoughts.

• MadMoeZel
    MadMoeZel Member Posts: 685

simply put there is no reason to talk to the raider. i have nothing i wish to tell them. when i'm raiding, i really don't care what the builder has to say. i'm not in their base for them. they're not in my base for them.

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 8,706

Even if players are adults, they shouldn't have to put up with racial or homophobic slurs plastered all over the game. The ones who should grow up are those who would do that, they won't, so they end up being treated as the adult babies they are and censored.

• noggieB
    noggieB Alpha Surveyor Posts: 63

Based on behaviour observed in other games, kids throwing insults and racial slurs tend to be louder and more spammy than normal people. So they might be a minority, but they can be disproportionately disruptive. This is not speculation. It's the reason why so many games have removed chat. https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=why+do+games+remove+chat

But this post isn't about free chat, it's about painting on bases. That is a form of speech which is relatively expensive in time and insynthite, so it would be less likely to be misused. :-)

Anyway, regarding the original question, I think the existing paint sets provide sufficient room for short messages.

A restricted set of words as suggested by root could work. But I also don't see a huge need for it.

Personally I might like to write "2 secrets" meaning "There are 2 secrets to find in this outpost". But then again, someone could easily write that, and then put 0 secrets, just to troll raiders.

For me, I wouldn't object, but I don't need the feature.