Block Count Limit Within Range

worldnamer
worldnamer Member Posts: 26
edited May 2023 in Feedback

I believe that it would be really healthy to limit the number of copies of a single trap within a certain distance. While I know this would somewhat limit player creativity, it would also greatly reduce the number of low-effort bases that simply place as many plasma sentinels as they can.

Alternatively, greatly increase the threat of a trap once more than a specific number within a given range exist. (This may prove challenging, as I know that the threat calculation function is already running pretty long.)

Alternatively, greatly increase the threat of the Plasma Cloud mod. A flat increase that doubles their threat with this mod seems completely justified.

Alternatively, increase the cost of the Plasma Cloud mod. All high-end bases are using it excessively and that very much indicates a balance issue.

Comments

• MadMoeZel
    MadMoeZel Member Posts: 685

"Alternatively, greatly increase the threat of a trap once more than a specific number within a given range exist. (This may prove challenging, as I know that the threat calculation function is already running pretty long.)"

• this is already in the game

"Alternatively, increase the cost of the Plasma Cloud mod. All high-end bases are using it excessively and that very much indicates a balance issue."

• the mod cost honestly is fine. the base cost is what we need to adjust. it's not a 50 point trap. it has 5.5 block SPHERICAL range base. it has the ability to become area denial for 20 additional points. the other go to area denial trap is incinerators which are base 70 cost for 4 block range in a LINE, it's not a fair balance of their cost to ability to deny areas. i have a post regarding raisng the base cost of plasma if you're interested in looking at it and giving it some traction. but i think that 20 points for a mod is good, 25 would be the absolute highest i'd want to see.

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 8,706

While proximity to other traps does have a difficulty multiplier, proximity to other traps of the same type doesn't increase that.

I'm not too bothered with the Plasma Sentinel. For 70 is provides area denial, much the same as an Incinerator.

• worldnamer

Regarding this already being in the game, I would suggest that whatever algorithm there is is not doing a good enough job, to the point that it doesn't feel like there's a modifier. This comes from experiencing a room with roughly 16 plasma sentinels in the same room.

I completely understand about trying to keep the mod cost under 25. That's a pretty good point. Maybe instead of increasing mod cost, something like duration of cloud could be looked at. Or, as you mention, increasing the base cost of the sentinel. I'll look at your post.

• worldnamer

Incinerators are also a little bit more overpowered than I'd like, but despite that, Plasma Sentinels are just better than flamethrowers. They have full directional range and cover a radial area that's larger than the linear area of a flamethrower. Plasma Sentinels have projectiles that go through magnetic shields and have more range. This isn't to say that incinerators aren't also great, but if you're going pound for pound, the Plasma Sentinel is the winner.

I think it's worth noting that Plasma Sentinels without the AoE modifier aren't NEARLY as bad, and are absolutely 50 point traps. The issue is this specific mod. I would hazard that the vast majority of Sentinels are using it. And I think the trap (and even the mod) is doing something interesting in the game, I just think they need balancing to reduce low-effort "just throw a bunch of second-wave Sentinels in a room and call it a day" bases.

But even if you think the Sentinel is just fine as it is, my larger point is that the more copies you have of a single trap in the same area, the more likely there's a game balance issue. I've seen broken rooms that are just 20 Enforcers with armor in a large flat room, and that was just as busted.

• MadMoeZel

the main thing with rooms stacked with a specific mechanic, is that the mechanic has a counter. mixing the types of traps gets more kills because you can increase the number of mechanics they are reacting to. the more of one trap or guard you deal with, they less complicated the work you need to do to beat it. i actually have a weapon suggestion in the feedback area called Lash Blade that would make a great counter to the 20 monger stack, i'd love if you wanted to take a look at it.

i also agree the base sentinel isn't as toxic towards fun as plasma cloud, and i don't even have an issue with plasma cloud in open spaces or when there are choices. but we almost exclusively see it in use on single entrance rooms with few exceptions. i even think the current prices WOULD be fine, if we had another 8-10 traps that gave us much wider variety. but plasma + cloud has the highest bang for buck with highest potential to cuck a raider.

• MadMoeZel

it's 70 for fire denial at range 4 linear vs 70 for fire denial at 5.5 blocks spherical