New Equipment Ideas

Dreamnomad
Dreamnomad Member Posts: 3,591
edited September 2023 in General Discussion

Like they say, necessity is the mother of invention. Ever attempted to raid a base and though "man, if only I had this item, this base would be much more doable"? Here are a couple I've come up with. Feel free to add to the list.

Sticky Grenades - Everyone knows what these are. They are in just about every FPS game. Would be a great addition here against rooftop traps and the like.

Ammo Restock - Ever come up against a base designed to eat your bolts? An equipment that returned all spent bolts back to your magazine would be great.

Teleporter - Just another safety net option. Throw the device down and then when you are in trouble activate to teleport back to the device. Similar to Phoenix pod but you don't have to die first. Obviously this would have to self-destruct when picking up gen mat. Why not just use Phoenix Pod? There should be some advantage to the higher risk like 2 charges or something.

Drone - Want to quickly scout an outpost? Flying equipment that doesn't trigger traps. Explodes after 9 seconds. Capacity of one.

Remote Control Car - Harvey died and you're sad? Drop a single use remote control car that automatically follows HRV path. Triggers traps and guards. (moves faster than HRV but slower than player run). Explodes on death or after 12 seconds. (Unnecessary now that there is pathfinder perk)

Plastic Explosives or Satchel - Small room full of stuff giving you trouble? Short throw range, detonates upon activation, large explosive range. Run in, toss satchel, run out and explode from safety.

Post edited by Dreamnomad on

Comments

• Dreamnomad

Plastic Explosives or Satchel - Small room full of stuff giving you trouble? Short throw range, detonates upon activation, large explosive range. Run in, toss satchel, run out and explode from safety.

• cubanchris
    cubanchris Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 26

these are actually really creative. A teleporter would be pretty sick lol i need a portal gun now

• wydyadoit
    wydyadoit Member Posts: 1,131

i've already made like 200 items that i've commented in various posts about. might as well give you one.

demo charge - destroy 1 block.

• Dreamnomad

That would break the game. Base builders shouldn't have to build around their blocks being broken.

• wydyadoit

1 block being broken wouldn't break the game. 2 blocks? maybe. but 1 block? i think there would be an incentive to make double layered walls which could allow for some interesting trap baits.

• Dreamnomad

Okay, a couple counter points. Players shouldn't be forced to double layer their walls because one equipment exists. That takes a monumental amount of time and resources for no benefit. This is particularly troublesome for new bases with lower build counts. Try double layering walls and building traps with a build count of 750. And btw, coop exists in this game. So if you don't want 2 players with explode block ruining your map then you have to TRIPLE layer your outpost. Raiders should simply never have the ability to break blocks in this game. It feels crazy to even have to have this conversation. Why would you even want to completely bypass a level? If you don't want to actually play the game then don't play the game.

• wydyadoit

coop is broken to begin with. you have a free infinite phoenix pod. tell me how that's fair?

the solution is simple. make bedrock a placeable block in build mode and make it so that the item can't blow up bedrock. and bedrock will cost more than 1 point, but less than 10. so maybe 5?

• Nahasno
    Nahasno Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 48

The problem is that you need much more capacity if you double wall everthing - it's bad enough that you can destroy traps/mobs/players in a room build out of halfblocks - without you or the projectile/grenade ever entering it.

Build such a room put some traps in it it doesn't even have to have an entrance or exit, and grapple around on the outside and your threatdetection will go off...

• Nahasno
    Nahasno Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 48

What's broken, what's unfair?

Builders standpoint:

Yes they can revive so what - more revives equals just more opportunities to kill 'em. The better for me.

Only with the overdrive mechanics you can make a loss on coop runs. Else they are a net gain if they don't exploit.

Raiders Standpoint:

The ranking! Coop is much better than solo for the ranking. Is it, truly? Because there is no skill based comparison in this ranking it's futile to compare solo and coop.

You can't even compare solo raids on the same map with each other - because, they get constantliy modified which is intended by the same rankingsystem.

And don't forget in a room full of traps 2 people can trigger more of them than one and the same time and in different places. So maybe that's the reason for the revives.

• Dreamnomad

Drone - Want to quickly scout an outpost? Flying equipment that doesn't trigger traps. Unlimited use/duration. Has option to explode. Capacity of one.

• MadMoeZel
    MadMoeZel Member Posts: 685

as a builder, i don't want infinite co-op revive. as a raider, i don't want infinite co-op revive.

this is my builder and raider standpoint.

• MadMoeZel
    edited April 2023

Beacon equipment, bring in 5 they can be dropped, last for that raid attempt, they can be seen through walls and will draw a path between them and any other beacon that can be reached via harvey pathing, this could be very helpful in mazes without trivializing them completely.

edit - maybe bring in 3?

• MadMoeZel

Sonic Scout, emits a frequency that can detect hollow spaces behind walls (think being able to tell theres a hall, or a guard room on the other side of a wall or ceiling. single use, scouts everything in, 5-8 blocks?

• MadMoeZel

smoke grenade - Blocks trap and guard line of sight at range while active. (reduced vision to one block would probably be best way to use this)

• MadMoeZel

Cryo bomb - large radius than standard grenade, freeze guards within 3-4 blocks"

• MadMoeZel
    edited April 2023

auto-retractor. throw it at a wall, interact with it to connect, the next time a red danger sign comes up, it reels you in automatically like a chain hook (can not be repositioned)

edit - wall, floor, ceiling, whatever!

• Dreamnomad
    edited April 2023

Similar concept to the teleporter I suggested. Only this is very limited in application and runs the risk of pulling you through acid cube. I think the player should be shielded while being reeled back and I also think the carry capacity should be high and cost to buy should be very cheap considering all the drawbacks. Could be useful in clearing certain rooms though.

• MadMoeZel

i'm firmly against adding any additional "shield" mechanics to the game.

• MadMoeZel
    edited April 2023

Hologram - Chuck it into a room at it activates traps/guards as if it were a player. lasts 8 seconds?

• MadMoeZel

(this one is a meme/joke) Pocket sand! ,1 charge infinite uses, refill by going out into the desert, blind enemies in front of you so they can't attack for a few second

• MadMoeZel

The "HRV<3" a single use object that protects HRV from 3 fatal damage events.

• MadMoeZel

GPS - Smack HRV with a GPS token that allows you to track him through walls.

• MadMoeZel
    edited May 2023

Hijacked Flameshield - Equip HRV with a fireproof shield salvaged from a vanquished warmonger.

edit - our first in-raid collectable? get loot from an enemy guard?

• Dreamnomad

Remote Control Car - Harvey died and you're sad? Drop a single use remote control car that automatically follows HRV path. Triggers traps and guards. Explodes on death.

• MadMoeZel

how does the car get the HRV path if the HRV works for the outpost builder?

• worldnamer
    worldnamer Member Posts: 26

Honestly most of these ideas are a no from me but I'd love to get an impact grenade. The current grenade is great but many room designs exploit the way they have a delayed explosion. Impact grenade solves that issue. (This is similar to the "sticky" grenade above.)

If I had a second item to add to the game, it would be a set of infinite use goggles that let you see the HRV path. I don't think it would be an incredible item but I think some people would use it and it gives BHVR a lot of latitude to ignore scripted HRV deaths. After that, I'd say a flash bang that dazes all guards in line of sight.

I think there should be a lot of upgrades for stuff that doesn't currently have upgrades - increasing the duration your grappling hook can grab, the speed at which it reels you in, adding fire or acid resistance to your suit (which you would have to swap out). There's a few really interesting possible angles.

But all that has to come with a decent number of new threats for builders. I have a feeling this new laser trap won't shift the meta much. Builders need switch activated traps, time delayed traps, more types of effective traps, and frankly, more block types before you can get too wild with equipment. But the future is very bright for the extensibility of the game.

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 8,707
    edited May 2023

Some good ideas.

I think the Ammo Restock would have to be a single charge to balance it properly.

Teleport is a neat high-risk alternative to Phoenix, after all you want to use it a split second before you die. It could have 2 charges because of that, but you'd also be able to combo them for 3 second chances. Not sure if that's balanced or not, on one hand, it would make Solo raiding a little more comparable to Duo. (maybe Duo raiding should come with a -1 hardware capacity as standard to balance it, so 2 grenades each, 1 shield, 1 teleporter, etc. but 1 capacity items remain at 1.) Or maybe just give the Teleporter 1 charge like Phoenix, you can use up both slots for 2 second chances, or just bring the Phoenix as default.

Impact/Sticky Grenades are a no-brainer, but would probably have a capacity of 2 rather than 3 due to their higher accuracy. Particularly as you can combo them too, and 6 grenades would probably be too much.

Cluster Grenade would be neat too. Single charge, but it explodes like a Bomb trap, potentially taking out a much larger group of traps/guards.

Not on-board with the 'destroying blocks' however, I think that's too far.

I don't think the Drone is a fair addition though. It's essentially giving you a free trial run of the outpost with no risk of death, particularly if it can explode and disarm traps.

I would fuse the Drone and 'RC Car', make the Drone follow HRV's path automatically, you can place it as long as HRV is dead and anywhere on the path too, so you can 'check' the path if you're on it, by whether or not your Drone is able to be placed. Once placed it follows the path once to the Genmat, holds there for a period of time, say 20 seconds, at which point you can see its 'aura', then deactivates.

• Dreamnomad

Some good points about RC car and drone. Changed them to explode after short amount of time.

• MadMoeZel
    edited May 2023

If I had a second item to add to the game, it would be a set of infinite use goggles that let you see the HRV path. I don't think it would be an incredible item but I think some people would use it and it gives BHVR a lot of latitude to ignore scripted HRV deaths. After that, I'd say a flash bang that dazes all guards in line of sight.

• i again need to point out that HRV works for the builder, why do your goggles give you the ability to see where an enemy unit is going to go in the future? there needs to be some form of interaction like needing to touch the HRV to hack the path from it before these goggles have the data they need

• Dreamnomad

You seem to be really hung up on this whole "HRV works for the builder" thing. I have several responses. First, who cares? Gameplay trumps lore, logic, physics or reality. I doubt you are particularly worried about objects floating in the air or whether the foundation of an outpost can support the weight. But even if you want to worry about the lore of the game it isn't hard to think of some way to work around it. The raider "hacks the HRV receiving point for the HRV route". Uploads said data to the goggles or whatever. Now the equipment has a lore excuse as to why it works. Happy?

• MadMoeZel
    edited May 2023

yes, yes i am. because you have to touch the enemy harvester for it to work and i actually do care about the fact that things can float in this game. super immersion breaking.

you seem hung up and wanting your hand held so you don't get lost. sorry if just seeing my way to the enemy outposts main objective from the start for free seemed imbalanced and broken. oh wait, i'm not sorry. it wasn't well thought out.

for the record - GOOD games, have lore reasons for why things work how they work.

i also haven't given me opposition to it based on the fact it completely trivializes ALL mazes, 100% no maze can be a maze anymore. kind if a slap in the face to every builder who built one, but hey if you want to have an easy win, thats up to you.

i see a future where raiders are blocked for their hardware selection if that got added.

• MadMoeZel

"First, who cares?"

i reply to you with you

"You seem to be really hung up on this whole "HRV works for the builder" thing."

seems pretty obvious i care.

also, i do care about floating structures. super breaks immersion, and when i build elevated buildings i give them support legs or towers.

"Gameplay trumps lore, logic, physics or reality."

yeah it does, much in the way a dungeon master trumps the rules as written in the book. but every GREAT game has a lore reason for WHY things work how they do. i'd like this to be a GREAT game.

"But even if you want to worry about the lore of the game it isn't hard to think of some way to work around it. The raider "hacks the HRV receiving point for the HRV route". Uploads said data to the goggles or whatever. Now the equipment has a lore excuse as to why it works. Happy?"

yes, immensely. you have a reason for why things are how they are and aren't waving a magic hand at it. I could accept this as a reasonable logical addition, we live in a high tech post-apocalyptic world where we can create clones and custodians, hacking an enemy computer should be simple enough.

but seeing as this object literally removes the maze aspect of the game, i forsee MANY builders who make mazes because they enjoy them blocking raiders for their hardware choice if this gets added.

personally, i hate mazes, so i don't care, i don't play them to begin with. but path obfuscation is an intended mechanic meant to disorient speed runners when they go into rooms and the ability to see the path freely makes that impossible, thus removing a core mechanic.

you'd probably have a similiar opposition if somoene were to suggest something that just arbitrarily lets them mind control guards around them so they don't shoot. you'd wonder "well how did you mind control my guards?"

• Dreamnomad

Just to be clear here, I don't even like the idea of goggles that let you see the HRV path. I just don't like "lore" to be an excuse as to why an equipment idea can't be used. You can always change the lore to suit the needs of gameplay. If you don't like an equipment idea because you feel there is an issue with balance then I'm all ears. Like my RC car idea earlier. It addresses the same issue as these goggles would and someone made some pretty good arguments as to why it would be an issue so I changed the item accordingly.

• MadMoeZel

"If you don't like an equipment idea because you feel there is an issue with balance then I'm all ears. Like my RC car idea earlier. It addresses the same issue as these goggles would and someone made some pretty good arguments as to why it would be an issue so I changed the item accordingly."

kinda like where i said it would trivialize all mazes and path obfuscation which are both intended parts of the game?

• Dreamnomad

I'm bringing this thread back to life as it is still relevant today as it was when it was posted. It's funny looking through the comments now that there is a custodian suit perk that lets you see the HRV path. It makes a number of suggestions irrelevant now. Anyway, Hylpmei on Reddit mentioned Trip Mines as an option. Place them at the entrance to blow up any guards running in behind you.

• eyedeeoneohtee
    eyedeeoneohtee Member Posts: 34

Plating: Similar to what guards have, but adjusted for the raider. It takes up one of your hardware slots, and if you take a hit then it's automatically consumed and gives you a moment of invulnerability.

Pulse Disruptor: An energy weapon that leaves no projectile and automatically regenerates ammunition, but deals no permanent damage. Hitting a trap or guard only disables it for a few seconds.

Peregrine Suit: A lightweight suit designed for aerial mobility

-Extended Tether: Increases grappling hook range by 10/20/30%

-Turbo Motor: Increases grappling hook speed by 10/20/30%

-Soft Landing:

--Level 1: No slowdown after falling long distances

--Level 2/3: Movement speed increased by 10/20% for 5 seconds after falling long distances

• MadMoeZel
    edited September 2023

"peregrine + turbo motor" - https://forums.bhvr.com/meet-your-maker/discussion/374369/new-suit-idea-hawk#latest

"Extended tether & soft landing level 1"- https://forums.bhvr.com/Meet-Your-Maker/discussion/374368/new-suit-idea-arachne#latest

i like your pulse disruptor, i've been asking for a grenade version for a while.

plating needs a bit of adjustment i don't think that a single shot block should be a hardware slot. maybe a 1 time oopsies as base kit but to make it cost a hardware seems punishing to a lot of players.

notably, plating also doesn't protect guards from flire, lasers, or enviornemntal effects like splatter of plasma cloud.

• eyedeeoneohtee
    eyedeeoneohtee Member Posts: 34

Volt Ripper: Very similar to the Volt Lancer, but instead of a bolt that sticks into surfaces it fires a sawblade that bounces off of surfaces until it runs out of momentum. You can't pick up the blade until it stops moving and you will die if it hits you, so it's important to work out the angles before firing.

Plasma Missile: Fires a reusable missile that tracks your crosshair, even through walls, and upon hitting a surface it sticks and explodes. It only holds one shot and can't be upgraded to hold more, so the Demolition Cannon still has a lot more firepower.