Suggested trap quality of life changes

MadMoeZel
MadMoeZel Member Posts: 685

In the current state of the game it is possible for a raider to move forward without stopping and pass through a trap before it's activation timer can expire.

I don't think it should be IMPOSSIBLE to pass a trap before it triggers but with speed stims, the melee suit's speed increases, and the grappling hook being base kit. i think it should be fair that someone using NONE of these speed increases shouldn't be able to just WALK through traps like they don't exist. i believe they should have enough time to step in, notice it's active, and step back.

My suggestion is to halve the delay on activation after triggering a trap, if not as base kit as a mod.

additionally there is no real element of surprise to traps with all the warning sounds and lights that are given to a raider. It would add a lot of suspense to have a silent mod that removes the sound and red warning (yes i understand how strong this is, i think it would be a good idea to start it at costing the same capacity as the trap it's being applied to and see where to move it from there)

The elephant in the room - Corrosive Cube

OPAQUE SHOULD NOT ALLOW TAGETING

i'm fine with 2nd wave acid allowing targeting, i think 1st wave acid should allow targeting also for consistency, but it's a TRANSLUCENT fluid, you do not have clear line of sight, nerf targeting range if it goes through acid. reduce the range by a percentage down to minimum 3 (the block behind the acid the trap is in, the acid, and the block you're in to trigger it) and it will make it a real tradeoff to use acid in that manner.

Pressure plates

Trip wires

This is rather self-explanatory. we need things that allow us to activate a trap BEFORE a player sees it.

Trap-linking

Very simple Trap A is activated or destroyed, Trap B activated regardless of raider location, either as a base mechanic, or a mod. PLEASE

we really want bomb drop chutes <3

Comments

• TragicSolitude
    TragicSolitude Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 6,683

The elephant in the room - Corrosive Cube

OPAQUE SHOULD NOT ALLOW TAGETING

i'm fine with 2nd wave acid allowing targeting, i think 1st wave acid should allow targeting also for consistency, but it's a TRANSLUCENT fluid, you do not have clear line of sight, nerf targeting range if it goes through acid. reduce the range by a percentage down to minimum 3 (the block behind the acid the trap is in, the acid, and the block you're in to trigger it) and it will make it a real tradeoff to use acid in that manner.

According to the Launch Day Patch Notes, traps aren't supposed to be able to target through Corrosive Cubes:

Bolt Shot Traps will no longer detect Raiders through Corrosive Cubes.

https://support.meetyourmakergame.com/hc/en-us/articles/14596921595796-Patch-Notes-Launch-Day-1

It seems they fixed the issue in first wave and forgot second wave.

• MadMoeZel

That patch note only references bolt shot traps. Incinerators, and claw traps also have 2nd wave targeting. again, i don't mind targeting through acid unless it's opaque. if i can see it to shoot it, it should be able to see me and shoot me. that's fair.

• Mellcor
    Mellcor Alpha Surveyor Posts: 40

Second wave corrosive cube being seen thought is a bug/exploit.

Any map that uses it u should just leave and report

• MadMoeZel

this doesn't participate in the conversation. the topic is on potential changes. calling it an exploit but not debating the pros or cons of any possible changes is not conducive to positive change.

• Oh_Bob_Saget_86
    Oh_Bob_Saget_86 Member Posts: 15

Correct, "Something" needs to be done about how traps work. I only activate a trap if:

A: I dont feel like wasting ammo and let it destroy itself

B: Im tired and bored of the outpost and i aimlessly run just to see how far i can get

C: The entire base is holocube filled traps

Other than that, you just walk slow, look, shoot, continue.

Your recommendation for trip wires/pressure plates is exactly what is needed! When i started playing and noticed these were not in the game, i immediately knew the game was not going to be what i thought.

And the trap linking is a must also!

• Midnght
    Midnght Member Posts: 65

The corrosive cubes second wave also needs to count the cubes in the game and look like the most used or we get to choose the disguise as it is they are always stoneish blocks so they're easy to identify.

• Bombzaway8222
    Bombzaway8222 Member Posts: 26

In my opinion there was some reason they made 2nd wave for all of the traps, and if you play the game long enough you know that acid cubes holo cubes and sentinels all look like bedrock blocks, and if you have a sense that the bedrock seems out of place, most likely if you go back that way it will be one of those traps. Also they made it pretty clear that 2nd wave traps are not meant to be seen until Gen mat is picked up and many builders utilize this for element of surprise.

• Bombzaway8222

Also traps activation being cut in half seems like a good idea but we may have to settle for a mod on that. Trip wires would be extremely useful. And trap linking would be cool.

Not sure what you meant by bomb drop chutes, like a tunnel for bombs to go down and the trap itself being out of sight?

• MadMoeZel

Not sure what you meant by bomb drop chutes, like a tunnel for bombs to go down and the trap itself being out of sight?

a bomb trap that ejects it's bombs down a tunnel of ramps either from above or the side being activated from a location out of line of sight.

after playing a bit longer, trap activation reduced by half is something i no longer support. i realize that it was based off a biased reaction time after having seen many replays and livestreams. at most i'd reduce the delay on trap activation 20% and i think 10% would be sufficient.

• MadMoeZel

i agree on the part thing. i'm currently trying to find out if there is a limit on consumables stockpiled

• Bombzaway8222

I'm not sure if there's a limit but the devs did mention something about monitoring the economy to find a better balance of giving out more or less of any given currency in game

• MadMoeZel

100k is the currency limit. checking on consumables still