New Trap Idea + Mods: Moving Wall

CcPicci
CcPicci Member Posts: 32

Harmless trap used alone, moves the raider 1x in range in one direction. Can be destroyed, continuous move. MODS: range 2x, range 3x, fast move, activation on detection . Can't be used to trap or press player. The place where the raider is moved on must have an open path to use.

Great for combo and surprise the raider with new ways to suffer... Wonderful architecture addition.

Comments

• MadMoeZel
    MadMoeZel Member Posts: 685

needs more fleshing as to placement orientation, how much space it takes up in a block, etc. i'm having trouble imagining how this would function based on the description

• CcPicci

Traps can move up to 3 blocks with mods; 1 block in basic mode. It can be put on walls ceiling and floor (elevator solution maybe). Raider can't be pressed from moved wall. So, for example, putting a standard range moving wall on left side, move the player 1 block to the right. This scenario needs at least a corridor 2 blocks large to place the trap. Hope Is more clear.

• MadMoeZel
    edited May 2023

that helps a lot for my visualization. how would this interact with the HRV path? can we put traps on the wall that moves so we could slide a trap into position? whats the activation range, does it detect in one direction, on 2,4,6 axis or spherical?

Post edited by MadMoeZel on
  • CcPicci

Basically no traps upon a trap. HRV doesn't activate traps so It should be ok and no rule changes. It detects in one direction, 2 blocks detection.

• MadMoeZel

"HRV doesn't activate traps so It should be ok and no rule changes."

HRV can walk on top of 2nd wave acid and holo blocks during first wave but not second, they can never be considered a valid path.

The trap as suggested has the potential to block the HRV path unless precautions are implemented against it, would all routes that include this trap be inelligble as a valid route? could they be used as a floor with moving tiles, if so will HRV route over them, how will this change if the tiles move?

seems activation functions like an impaler with +1 range and then does it shift in ANY direction? or any direction excluding the detection face? like could a moving wall "charge" you and make a large room smaller by advancing several of them? what happens when they're destroyed? empty space? or does the wall just stay where it broke? if the latter, how do we handle this trap being broken mid-transtion

• CcPicci

Your point is very precious. I posted this idea on reddit before writing here with the trap available only on walls. Then a user pointed out that It can be used on floor and ceiling too. Thinking about how it works, using on floor and ceiling might be a problem with HRV. So It can works only on walls, HRV doesn't activate It and the trap can be broken only before It activatation. Once on, the wall remain at new position, so HRV can use a second Path, maybe using the new wall as part of the new Path. Or the Wall return to his position when the raider takes matgen.

• MadMoeZel

it seems like you have a core mechanic you want to add of moving a wall, but i think that it needs a bit more detail into how it interacts with it's various environments. example. masquerade says that a holo block acts a normal block to guards, yet they can not walk on it, and if they fall on it they phase inside it. I have that filed as a bug because that not how "normal blocks" behave with guards. interactions like that could be hard to forsee but need to be considered especially in future implementation. you've stated the trap can't crush a player, if a player activates said trap and slips into the space that the wall is supposed to move into after activating it, what happens? does the same crushing protection apply to guards? if the wall can be moved INTO the HRV path can it crush the HRV? in order for it to allow pathing to change it would need to open a shorter route, or block the shorter route while accessing a longer route. how would this function when combined with the 1 way no-pass doors? could it be used to trap people in inescapable halls?

just a lot to look into in regards to how a trap that physically moves location works.

• CcPicci

Ok. I understard your point. It sounds a bit too tricky to make it work properly with such variables. And if we reimagine its use and activation?

An harmless wall long 1x (mod 2x, 3x) triggered fast only from its sides at 2x distance. This to prevent enemy and HRV to be killed. Enemies can't go or stand upon triggered walls. Taking matgen revert the state of ALL the moving walls in the outpost, so triggered walls goes off. I've thinked about ALL and not single choice to limit useless maze creation. Thinking also on a mod that add a new trap on side, to surprise players.

Hope this solutions fits Better.