The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

hey dbd community! do you like steve harrington's voice?

Walker_of_the_fog_96
Walker_of_the_fog_96 Member Posts: 1,238

Hi all! well, I've been browsing the internet (reddit, twitter, youtube, etc) I have found different opinions on this topic.

So, do you like Steve's voice?

would you like bhvr to contact joe kerry or someone else?

(It wouldn't be weird, after all, they did the same with Kate)

hey dbd community! do you like steve harrington's voice? 93 votes

Yes, I like Steve's voice.
58%
FatelanceAdelooMat_SellaTapeKnotFeraMistBunnyTheHuttTheRockstarKnightdoitagain_TaigaN1GHTSH4DOWSpichumudkipMooksSebaOutbreakScary_Punk_GhostnimesulidebjorksnasHexNoedHannonanimalmakAwkward_Fiend 54 votes
no, i don't like steve's voice.
41%
Science_GuyWhite_OwlSeiko300GHERBEARRULESCool_UsernameHoodiedDeadeyeWalker_of_the_fog_96Boosted_Dwightmusstang62XxkuroxshiroxXUistreelSunaIIanuRoboMojozmassaniYanthegamer558ThePoliceOwlzeyMadLordJackbm33 39 votes

Comments

• Pior_Morte
    Pior_Morte Member Posts: 526

I liked on Steve, but hated on Felix lmao

• Elcopollo
    Elcopollo Member Posts: 768

I like it, it has its own charm. Having Joe Keery voice Steve and Natalia Dyer voice Nancy would've been very cool, though.

They have OG Bruce Campbell's voice for Ash after all, so it isn't impossible, I think.

• EntitledMyersMain
    EntitledMyersMain Member Posts: 832

Congratulations, you are worse at identifying a joke than William Buckner is at soccer.

Everyone loves it for the same reason they love Mikey's stun sound. It's so hilariously wrong that it's fantastic.

Both need a change, but nobody wants them to go.

• CheeseAnton
    CheeseAnton Member Posts: 882

To put it in my own, original words, that I didn't copy, "It's so hilariously wrong that it's fantastic."

The only reason I don't main Steve is because I wish he has just a few more outfits (maybe 2) to customize with.

• Rockatansky
    Rockatansky Member Posts: 32

I remember hearing a Steve scream and it sounding so much like Joe Keery I googled it to make sure it wasn't him. For the meme I'll pretend it's bad and worth Behavior shelling out $40k+ to get Joe Keery and Natalie Dyer into the studio for 45 minutes to record screams and grunts.

• Seiko300
    Seiko300 Member Posts: 1,862

And yet you see how easily people at BHVR would mistake your response? How quickly they'd probably go: "Ah, well it looks like people like it after all! Let's have the same VA do 10 more voices for the next few survivors because people are so supportive!"

I'm not at liberty to make or acknowledge jokes about the subject matter because, at least to me, it is intensely frustrating for someone who was a genuine fan of the show.

I just can't get behind that logic. It sounds similar to how Tachanka was memed into godhood within the R6 community to the point where eventually people didn't want him to be changed even though he sucked.

Thing is, eventually he was changed for the sake of the overall quality of the game.

• CheeseAnton
    edited September 2020

Thing about it is that it would cost TONS to redo the voices. I'm a genuine fan of the show as well, but I'm just really happy they managed to get BOTH Steve AND Nancy. I guess I would rather have Joe Kerry than whoever voiced this Steve, but that would take around thousands to fly Joe himself, just to do 45 minutes of grunting.

"It sounds similar to how Tachanka was memed into godhood within the R6 community to the point where eventually people didn't want him to be changed even though he sucked."

We're talking about a Survivor in DBD, not an unique operator in R6S.

"Thing is, eventually he was changed for the sake of the overall quality of the game."

Thing is, is that Joe Kerry isn't just near wherever BHVR is, and it would be convenient enough to do. The best they could do is get another person in the office to VA Steve. I highly doubt changing one survivor would make that much of a difference, especially because of the mountain-sized plate BHVR already has going on. Changing Steve's voice for the better isn't even a small dent into that plate, and should be one of the last things they do. Imo, it's better to just laugh it off then be upset.

• SebaOutbreak
    SebaOutbreak Member Posts: 399
    edited September 2020

Funny voice.

• doitagain_
    doitagain_ Member Posts: 723

Uh yeah. It turns me on.

• Seiko300
    edited September 2020

The one thing that you forget is that BHVR got and worked with the Legendary Bruce Campbell himself. An infinitely more experienced, well known, and successful actor than Joe Keery who is only now at the very beginning of his acting career and needs all the exposure he can get.

To put the vast disparity in monetary terms, Joe keery is worth only about a FIFTH of Bruce Campbells estimated net worth, the former having a net worth of 2 million and the latter having a net worth of 10 million. Comparing the two side by side logically Joe Keery should be much easier to get into contact and work with than Bruce Campbell and it's likely he'd have less negotiating power over how much he got paid given his limited experience and younger age. In short, Joe Keery needs the exposure and needs more to put on his list / resume / profile beyond just Stranger Things, although far be it for me to give advice to Hollywood stars, celebrities, and millionaires 🙄

Not only this but you'd think just generally speaking given his younger age he would be more excited and willing to lend his voice to be put into a Video Game than Bruce Campbell would be.

P.S. Every Survivor is unique. Each one with their own backstory, their own voice, their own personality, their own clothes which reflect that personality, etc. So on and so forth. This is an objective fact regardless of whether or not they speak, even in silent films there are attributes and characteristics that a person can point to and identify as key factors that create characterization. The point is that the effort should be put in to make theses aspects of the characters as quality and believable as possible. Dead By Daylight does have the money and the resources for this, if they can continue to make deals with big licenses and huge celebrities, if they can complete a full graphic overhaul, if they can port the game onto next generation consoles like the PS5 and Xbox X (which have not even released yet), they have plenty of resources to redo a voice that they royally screwed up in the past.

Much like how they need to get to work on that Quentin Face Rework.

•  Antares2332
    Antares2332 Member Posts: 1,088

does not match the character

• CheeseAnton

Eh, I guess I agree with that. There's one thing I wanted to point out though.

"Not only this but you'd think just generally speaking given his younger age he would be more excited and willing to lend his voice to be put into a Video Game than Bruce Campbell would be."

From my knowledge, Bruce actually wanted to work on DbD. That's one of the major reasons he has actual voice lines, it's because he wanted to be there. He was even in Ash's reveal trailer. I'm not saying Joe Keery hates DbD, I just think Bruce likes it more.

• Elcopollo
    Elcopollo Member Posts: 768

@Seiko300 I mean, it's kinda funny, he would be a great singer. So yeah, it has its own charm. Just like Tommy Wiseau has his own charm.

• herrik666
    herrik666 Member Posts: 191

Summary of both arguments:

-Yeah I like it its funny xd

-NO HOW COULD BHVR HAVE DONE THIS I'M A FAN OF THE SHOW SINCE 1987 AND THE CHARACTER HAS BEN ABSOLUTELY AND UTTERLY BUTCHERED

• TheRockstarKnight
    TheRockstarKnight Member Posts: 2,171

I just love how goofy it sounds and, like, it's not like DBD is trying that hard to be creepy anyway.

This.

• kylerabdcgamer10
    kylerabdcgamer10 Member Posts: 279

I couldn't agree more with everything you have said dude, they should really get on fixing the voice, right now it sounds like a joke voice

• Acromio
    Acromio Member Posts: 1,737

It screams "I'm a bad character from a bad Netflix show," so i think it suits him.

• Taiga
    Taiga Member Posts: 368

I actually like it because I watched Stranger Things in german and it sounds similar to Steve’s german voice actor.

• Seiko300

Fair enough, that's what I was thinking as a possibility as well. Maybe I have them mixed up in my mind and Bruce is the humble person who is excited to be part of most any project, and Steve is the one who's already gotten full of himself and his fame and is deeming certain work "beneath him".

Obviously they could both be great people and I'm clearly speculating, but at the same time speculation is all we have to go off of because BHVR is never clear or transparent with us about their thoughts on these things. At the same time Joe Keery hasn't said anything about it or even mentioned anything DBD related at all from my knowledge.

Compared to Kyle Gallner (Quentin Smith's actor in NOES 2010) who actually reached out to the DBD Devs / Mathieu Cote / BHVR asking them to please use his likeness, and Mat Cote did actually respond to that tweet. So we know at least one party in that situation who is completely on board with making the change and because of that it's at least possible to happen. In Steve's situation neither party have come forward to even announce their attitudes on the topic

What a horrible analogy, considering that regardless of whether or not you believe DBD is a horror game it still takes itself seriously as a game which is horror themed. A Tommy Wiseau-esque performance or style is not something they ever intended to go for

Big facts.

• White_Owl
    White_Owl Member Posts: 3,786

Nope. It doesn't feel very genuine compared to all the other voices in-game.

• DetailedDetriment
    DetailedDetriment Member Posts: 2,632

I feel like the original actor usage was a one-and-done thing with Ash.

• Seiko300
    edited September 2020

I feel differently, that it was just the beginning, with Ash potentially being a springboard to other celebrities and faces like Joe Keery as Steve, perhaps Tony Todd for Candyman, Maybe even Robert Englund as Freddy as a legendary Freddy skin, etc. so on and so forth.

I don't see why it should be any other way, again DBD has the resources to make this happen as an immensely successful game in its own right. Certainly far more than they or even we as the community originally anticipated back in 2016, and bringing these famous faces and voices to their characters would make the game even more well known in public circles beyond the gaming industry, more so than it already is.

• DetailedDetriment
    DetailedDetriment Member Posts: 2,632

Paying professionals such as Bruce Campbell costs several times more money than bringing in someone unrecognized. They also probably only got Bruce to voice Ash since Mathieu had wanted him in the game from the start.

• Seiko300

Yes, I aware of this, it's a very simple concept "big names cost big money" and have acknowledged this and my statement still stands because of it, in part because I was already subtly addressing that exact issue before anyone brought it up. So I will just copy and past what I wrote.

"Dead By Daylight does have the money and the resources for this, if they can continue to make deals with big licenses and huge celebrities, if they can complete a full graphic overhaul, if they can port the game onto next generation consoles like the PS5 and Xbox X (which have not even released yet), they have plenty of resources to redo a voice that they royally screwed up in the past."

"I don't see why it should be any other way, again DBD has the resources to make this happen as an immensely successful game in its own right. Certainly far more than they or even we as the community originally anticipated back in 2016, and bringing these famous faces and voices to their characters would make the game even more well known in public circles beyond the gaming industry, more so than it already is."

• Mozzie
    Mozzie Member Posts: 618

I love it, everytime I hear AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH across the map I die laughing.

• BriccsMe
    BriccsMe Member Posts: 5

I don't let anybody in my 4-stack play Steve because his hook scream sounds so ######### ANNOYING

• ScaryCat
    ScaryCat Member Posts: 49

I run Iron Will every match just to shut him up. 😂 Sorry if it's offensive to anyone, I just can't--

• RoboMojo
    RoboMojo Member Posts: 1,326

I think it’s really whiny and annoying, lol.

• Eddie1250
    Eddie1250 Member Posts: 1

Steve’s voice could use some tweaking and instead of getting joe Kerry on the line just find a more suitable person to voice act Steve but would be awesome if BHVR got joe Kerry to voice act his own character, I’m a Steve main

• Mat_Sella
    Mat_Sella Member Posts: 3,553

wont ever beat this tho: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oy-7qNvIEaQ&has_verified=1

• DudelPumaAce
    DudelPumaAce Member Posts: 305

nancys voice is ok, steves voice is for me realy bad xD its annoying

listen cheryls voice is so noice, especially when she is hung up on the hook, you hear the pain xD

• Bwsted
    Bwsted Member Posts: 3,452

I do! As killer, his screams and grunts are super funny.