Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Anyone else feel like dbd's identity is all over the place right now?

2»

Comments

• wildcardyo
    wildcardyo Member Posts: 125

killers are not scary in this game because they are weak.... only am scared as a noob survivor... unfortunately this doesnt look like it will change anytime soon, so us veterans get mild thrills

• SunaIIanu
    SunaIIanu Member Posts: 815

I mean Jane isn't blond but she isn't small breasted either.

• Kind_Lemon
    Kind_Lemon Member Posts: 2,559
    edited January 2021

As soon as the Trapper lore released in the rift, I immediately realized that they have no idea what they're doing when it comes to telling a story.

Their writing suuuuuuuucks.

So, yes, I agree with you.

• EvanSnowWolf
    EvanSnowWolf Member Posts: 1,583

Those are small to me. Certainly not stereotype worthy.

• Halbix
    Halbix Member Posts: 42

Jane got a phat ass. That's her character

But seriously, I think Yui and Felix they did a pretty good job on. Also worth mentioning is the paragraph long bios of the first survivors vs the novels that are the later ones. No room for imagination

• Halbix
    Halbix Member Posts: 42

Ganondorf is the most fateful of all Smash Bros representations

• White_Owl
    White_Owl Member Posts: 3,786
    edited January 2021

That is true, but you forget that The Observer, Felix and Elodie's lore make clear there are people who investigate on the matter. That is what makes me think the Entity didn't really care and wasn't careful in its kindappings.

Besides, if the Entity was really interested only in lone people whose disappearance wouldn't be noticed, it would have a buffet made of the countless homeless people in the world. But as far as we know there aren't homeless people in the Realms, because they don't fit the Entity's strict requirements.

• Kind_Lemon

omg yes, PvZ 2 is another great example of the quality of storytelling dropping like a lead weight. I hadn't seen your comment before, but after I had, I realized I needed to respond.

Have you seen Stromae's video that helped inspire the Entity? It's insightful as to what the devs intended for their creation to be. (I've linked it below if you haven't and were interested.)

• ProfoundEnding
    ProfoundEnding Member Posts: 2,334

I'm still upset over Kate's Tome lore. Ooh she was almost kidnapped by the Entity once before but escaped. Nice, but...that's it? Pretty lackluster.

• DrStone
    DrStone Member Posts: 132

I’d take more characters like Jane than Dwight. Having too many stereotypes isn’t good as well. You come into different games but are bombarded with same types of people all the time.

And tbh I just don’t get what freaking stereotypes have to do with DbD’s identity. It’s identity is a horror cat-amd-mouse game, a collaboration of different horrors.

This forum really surprises me sometimes with stupid things like this. I get that there’s a lot of things there can be improved but saying the game doesn’t have an identity because you are too bothered with characters and their skins. Skins that are meant to be just that, skins. That explore different fantasies.

And you go on a rant about killers and them not being a perfect representation. What? Maybe Pyramidhead doesn’t work exactly like in SH games but he definitely takes traits from there. And do you know that there’s plenty of pyramidhead variations in SH as well?

Ofc a character like that which is gonna be carried over to a whole other game will need to be changed a bit. Damn

• SirCracken
    SirCracken Member Posts: 1,414

Wow. The resemblance is uncanny. I had no idea this video was a thing! Thanks for mentioning it to me. The themes that it expresses are almost an exact copy of the original entity.

In the video the monster that, is a clear inspiration for the entity, is cancer. It is capable of taking anyone it chooses, seemingly at random. And is extremely hard to fight back against. Especially people who are caught in the addictive grasp of cigarettes. Most people that smoke know the health risks but do it anyway, giving up hope for a longer, potentially happier life in exchange for momentary stress relief. Almost exactly like how a killer in dbd has given up hope for escape and sacrifices others for a brief end to their suffering until another hunt begins.

Really highlights how promising the original vision for the game was.

• SirCracken

The people who investigate only exist as a shallow replacement for Benedict Baker. They serve the exact same narrative purpose as he did, (before he was most likely forgotten about) but instead of having the relatability of a single person stumbling across a threat bigger than they can deal with and understand, they're an entire organisation devoted to investigating the entity. Severally removing the "unseen and lurking threat" trait that the entity had before their inclusion.

There's no evidence to suggest it hasn't made a habit of stealing away the homeless. They would probably be the first to be taken out of a society because no one would miss or look for them. And just the thought of that, of being taken away to a dimension of horrors forever without any soul still in reality caring, is far more terrifying than the entity we have now, that has started collecting celebrities like they were limited edition barbie dolls.

• SirCracken

Ah yes, how stupid of me. Thinking that in dbd, a game that I have mentioned multiple times now is directly inspired by classic slasher films which are know for their character architypes and villain designs that making character personalities recognisable just at a glance would be important. Like say, having characters wear different skins that express their personality in different ways, rather than take away from the horror atmosphere for the sake of cheap fan fare?

Or how about me having the sheer GALL to suggest that (Giant Metal) Pyramid (On) Head shouldn't be capable of being blinded because of basic logic, or expecting killers like Demogorgon to not use the one thing they were known for in their only iteration before being added to the game?

Clearly, you have the true master of the forums. And have graciously taught uneducated peasants, such as myself, that logic and reasoning aren't necessary to be proven correct.

• Phasmamain
    Phasmamain Member Posts: 11,531

While I love Jane your point makes a lot of sense.

This is also why I love Jeff so much. When you look at him you think “Some kind of biker or metal head?” And you’d be right. All his cosmetic show him at different points in his life from his roadie days to him being a biker. This really adds to his story imo

• SirCracken

I appreciate you considering my arguments despite my criticisms against a character you like.

I really wish more people had your attitude.

• DrStone
    DrStone Member Posts: 132

Because you’re nitpicking the things that don’t need to be nitpicked.

Your complaining about PH being able to be blinded is similiar to people being able to withstand jumps from idk how many feet in the air, or people in shooters getting healed right back up after being shot at.

sometimes you have to suspend your disbelief to make things work. This after all is a horror game with fictional killers and a lot of logic thrown out the window. And right so. Because as soon as you’d put too much realism in, it wouldn’t be the same game.

It revolves around cat and mouse chase and there need to be some rules put into place to make that work.

• SirCracken
    edited January 2021

There is zero logic in your arugments.

PH being blinded makes no sense because it heavily conflicts with his design. "Blinded" implies something that obscures sight and unless PH's eyes are his entire head there's no reason to assume that flashlights would affect him in any way. Survivors falling from great heights unscathed do make sense because there wasn't a single point in dbd's development where fall damage was a thing.

What on earth makes you think any of my problems with the game would just vanish if I chose to not believe in them? Shall I cease to believe in the game's rampant balance issues and bugs to make them disappear too? Believe it or not, a lot of movies and games disavow most of traditional logic so their stories can be told and instead follow their own logic so the story is still believable within the confines of the fictional the world the players/viewers are entering. Dbd's internal logic has grown so nonsensical it's starting to unravel itself and the flaws I mentioned with the killers are just the tip of the iceberg.

What you falsely label as "nitpicking" are legitimate problems with the game that you're choosing to ignore or simply don't care enough about to bother complaining. I, as someone who plans to actually make a game some day, am very critical of design and feel a need to point out flaws and mistakes so even if the devs don't fix them I can remember what not to do.

I find your contentment disturbing. It encourages complacency in developers and leads to boring updates within games, and boring games themselves.

Post edited by SirCracken on
  • Phasmamain
    Phasmamain Member Posts: 11,531

Most of Jane’s outfits are just “Jane on the beach” “Jane in designer clothes” “Jane in designer clothes again”. That’s why I love her painter outfit the most

• BioX
    BioX Member Posts: 1,378

pretty disgusting how you just assume all this stuff based on someone's look tbh.

Way to judge a book by its cover.....

• tactic
    tactic Member Posts: 356

I do feel like it’s a bit unfair to compare this game to Smash Bros.

while yes, both have crossovers with other brands, smash bros is a fighting game. With that you can do literally anything with a character because as long as it lets them hit someone or move around the map it works.

Whereas DBD has strict rules that must apply to all killers. Chases cannot be too short, you must loop or mind game around loops, etc etc; you can’t have a killer who flies because that would be unfair.

Pyramid Head being blindable would make sense, but would be a pointless buff to an already strong killer. Even smash bros doesn’t have characters who are passively immune to certain attacks, I don’t see why this game should either.

• SirCracken

How dare I judge fictional characters by their looks. It's not some of the best characters that are celebrated and remembered for years after their creation have a unique look that accurately displays their personality-

• Kind_Lemon
    edited January 2021

It's extremely uncanny. You can even see the sacrifice animation almost frame for frame at 2:00 (The stab, the removal of a white silhouette from the chest, the camera pan up into a spiral of black, expansive protrusions, etc.) -- it's pretty wild.

• danielmaster87
    danielmaster87 Member Posts: 9,096

I mean you can literally tell that just by the different cosmetics, balance changes, and survey's that word for word ask "What genre of game do you like?"