Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

How should the game be balanced in an asymmetrical?

I've been thinking for a while but shouldn't the minority hold slightly more capability in an asymmetrical game? Or should it be balanced out by just separate abilities?

I feel like inherently, the nature of a game like that isn't really possible to fully balance. Just food for thought, not trying to pull an us vs them.

Comments

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,590

The game will never be totally balanced of course, but it could be much better. It should be balanced top down rather than what we currently have which is bottom up. There's some misconception that this would hurt the bottom level of players but this really isn't the case. All it would do is shift their "rank/MMR" around until they were winning/losing exactly as much as they were before. However now we'd actually have much more balanced high rank matches.

• ThiccBudhha
    ThiccBudhha Member Posts: 6,987

It SHOULD be survivor sided as there are 4 of them for every 1 killer. And honestly, in regard to balance, I think they did a pretty good job so far.

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,218
    edited April 2022

The big thing BHVR has never been able to reconcile balance-wise is the massive skill gap between their top end and average players. This presents itself in a huge way when it comes to maps and their design.

They're very reluctant to touch tile spawn logic or map size. Are many maps overtuned with too many safe tiles too close together? Yes. But I'd estimate players even up to the 80th percentile still consistently take hits at safe tiles.

And if you make tiles less safe, that 90th percentile killer player is going to get a hit at every single one on any killer. There's almost no grey area between safe and easy hit every time when a killer's skill reaches a certain point. It either is or it isn't.

Point being: the balance could be a lot better in many ways, but it's delicate.

• JamnJelly
    JamnJelly Member Posts: 139

Balancing at the high end makes more sense since it'll help lower end players to try to improve. If things come too easy, I feel like you just remain stagnant.

I do feel like the current MMR system is a little weird but not always clear as to what you need to pip up.

• JamnJelly

Well should be survivor sided in terms of everything? Or easier for survivors? What exactly makes it one side or the other to you?

• JamnJelly

The fragility is what I'm curious about. The nature of the game doesn't really make balance easy in the slightest, but there's so many routes you could take it, since a change affects both parties in drastically different ways.

All in all, I've noticed it's consistent that we can agree the highest end players are in another league, and that there's not really a bridge between a newer player and the older veterans.

• brokedownpalace
    brokedownpalace Member Posts: 8,792

Probably impossible to completely balance. I think things on both sides need nerfs and buffs, so the balance could definitely improve. I don't think it's as bad as some people like to claim tho.

Also do you prefer jam or jelly?

• JamnJelly

But inherently shouldn't one side technically be easier, or more forgiving as it player wise, it's a team vs a solo player? Isn't that how these sorts of games should operate?

I do think it's overplayed. But I think the majority of issues stem from the nature of the game.

Also, depends on the fruit, but usually jam. It's actually a play on words "Jammin' Jelly"

I forgot why I didn't do that though.