Free Tombs vs Trapped Tombs

Options
Chordyceps
Chordyceps Member Posts: 1,689

I don't know if this is just me, but I find it really boring when a base just gives its tombs away for free with trails leading to them. I don't want to be ungrateful for the people that point out where their tombs are, but I find it way more fun to find a tomb hidden away in a base and deal with traps guarding it than to have to do a lap around a base before I can get started with the actual raid.

Does anyone else feel the same way about this?

Comments

• Dreamnomad
    Dreamnomad Member Posts: 3,639
    Options

The only thing I don't want to see a builder do is:

a.) neglect the tombs altogether leaving the raider to waste time searching for them.

b.) block the tombs off entirely. I'm somewhat okay with the builder putting a second wave hologram over the tomb to keep the raider from getting a "free lunch". This is particularly irritating though when the tombs location is unmarked. So you waste a bunch of time chasing down the tombs location only to be blocked off from it until you get the gen mat which then requires wasting time coming back to the location. Wasting my time in general is just not okay in my book.

But if a builder wants to make a little parkour course or whatever to the tomb, I'm good with it. I'm also perfectly good with them marking the location to the tomb too. That generates a little good will on their part so I'm a little more tolerant toward the outposts shenanigans in general.

• MadMoeZel
    MadMoeZel Member Posts: 685
    Options

i'm of the opinion that tombs given freely hurt the game in the long run by encouraging entitled behaviors. this game needs people who want challenge in order to thrive, and having these free maps that just hand people things. if the game was going to be designed to have things handed to you, we wouldn't have to unlock things.

lazy players who don't want to put in effort then unlock a ton of stuff with no effort and make lazy bases with no effort and it bogs the game down with garbage.

• eyedeeoneohtee
    eyedeeoneohtee Member Posts: 34
    Options

The problem isn't that raiders are entitled, it's that builders don't want to spend capacity on optional side areas. Every trap on a tomb is one less trap on the harvester path.

• MadMoeZel
    Options

then you put that effort in and raiders skip all the side areas and go straight to genmat. then even if you do incorporate it and someone goes after it but they don't find it, they assume you blocked it in because they didn't have the wit to find it.

thats why i just put 2nd wave holos on mine. you want the loot? beat the level. loot is earned, not given for free. i've built challenge maps, art maps, and "xp" maps, by far XP maps see the most traffic because again, entitlement. people who think they should just be given resources to unlocked every single thing and have 5 bases active at all times without ever having to run a raid.

• Hodderfodder
    Hodderfodder Member Posts: 164
    edited July 2023
    Options

In my experience, a lot of raiders aren't interested in tombs. Unless they literally trip over the tomb on the way to the genmat they don't even bother, and even then some raiders still ignore then. So trapping seems a waste.

As a raider, I'm not playing for the challenge, I'm raiding to get resources. So I always appreciate signage rather than having to hunt, and I like free over trapped. But either way I don't want to take a long time with them; there have been quite a few times i can't find the tomb, and give up--unsure if it was blocked or hidden in a way that I can't figure out.

What upsets me is the builder who traps the tomb in such a way that the tomb breaks, but I die before getting the resources--so they're lost Bomb traps are especially bad for this. I don't care about dying, but losing the resources is being robbed. Kill me a few steps from the tomb is fair game, but don't trap the square next to the tomb.

• eyedeeoneohtee
    eyedeeoneohtee Member Posts: 34
    Options

In this particular case I don't blame it on the players, the game just has two mechanics that pull in opposite directions. Allowing builders to add optional challenges to an outpost is a fine idea on its own, and forcing builders to strategize by limiting their resources is a fine idea on its own, but when both systems are active at the same time, builders are naturally going to ask: Why would I put my best defenses where most players won't see them? Why would I put any defenses where most players won't see them?

• MadMoeZel
    Options

the mechanics in place that promote this are to balme on behavior, but the players making the choice to build free maps, and the players hunting them most definitely are to blame. no matter if you trap the tomb path or not, incorporate it or not, players still overwhelmingly select "free" "loot" or "xp" maps. the entitled mentality those maps create leads to a population of players who actively abuse the system put in place by behavior to get themselves a ton of resources on a map, and then quit anything they even slightly disagree with while having absolutely no penalty. then to make the game feel even worse, since BHVR removed the rank loss for quitting, literally ANYONE can be a master if they spend enough time. and a bad player with 18 hours can beat the best player who only has 3 when it comes to rank climb even if that strong player does every raid perfectly in the highest difficulty, the one who has 18 hours can just bungle their way through "Free" maps in NORMAL to outpace them, leaving every other map that isn't free with no penalty.

• Beflap
    Beflap Member Posts: 8
    Options

I usually give directions to the Tombs. Why? Because I find it really time consuming watching the replay of the raiders looking for them. I don’t know about the pc version but there is no way skip that on Playstation.

• Hodderfodder
    Hodderfodder Member Posts: 164
    Options

I've noticed a trend that if all the tombs are outside with full signage, the outpost is going to be a cruel killbox.

• Polartest53
    Polartest53 Member Posts: 15
    Options

i like to include them into my maps unless its just an absolute pain to link them all into it. and yes i do trap em its just more fun that way keep em on their toes. ill usually give one for free tho