How varied is the gear progression now?

Options
AssortedSorting
AssortedSorting Member Posts: 954
edited January 21 in General Discussion

Tried this game a while back, and felt that there was a lot missing in terms of gear progression and variety in order to retain interest for raiding bases.

Are you able to unlock a significant amount of sidegrades/upgrades for gear/equipment? How long does that take?

Do they try to make mechanically similar gear with varied playstyle methods of activation or aesthetic?

Can you be silly with how you modify your gear? Or is it generally trying to "be balanced" and grounded "in reality"?

Comments

• Dreamnomad
    Dreamnomad Member Posts: 3,639
    Options

"Are you able to unlock a significant amount of sidegrades/upgrades for gear/equipment? How long does that take?"

Each weapon can be upgraded twice. I can't give you an exact time frame on how long it takes to upgrade. Everyone has their own opinion on these things, but I feel that the rate players can upgrade their equipment is reasonable. Naturally, the faster you can clear raids the faster you can upgrade stuff. So some of it depends on playstyle too. A new player should be able to fully upgrade their stuff within 2 months of regular play I imagine.

"Do they try to make mechanically similar gear with varied playstyle methods of activation or aesthetic?"

Mechanically similar huh? I suppose some weapons could be described as such. But I would say that each weapon has something about it that makes it unique enough that it has it's own place in the game. For instance, there are two swords. One is fast and can deflect projectiles. The other is slow but has longer lunge range and can break armor. There are also two shields. One protects the raider from threats at all angles but will deactivate when the raider attacks and has a longer (but still reasonable) cooldown. The other creates a shield wall that only protects the raider from attacks on the other side of the wall but allows the raider to attack without turning off the shield. As far as aesthetics go, each weapon has it's own appearance as well as a variety of options or skins to choose from.

"Can you be silly with how you modify your gear? Or is it generally trying to "be balanced" and grounded "in reality"?"

You can certainly be as silly as you want. There aren't any limitations on what you equip. You can use two shields for example and play pure pacifist. Naturally it will make some maps very difficult. But you should be able to bring literally anything into a normal map and win. If you haven't played in a while then I'd strongly recommend giving it a go. There have been a lot of good changes and additions to the game. New weapons, new suits, new environments, new traps, new guards and a huge revamp into the expedition system with a new class of boosts called enhancements.