A change in tactics for killers

Options

So with the ruin changes i see a lot of killers here that now want to flock to Currupt intervention as the next early game stall. And it made me thinking why?

I think everybody that plays killer knows that we are at our weakest during the early game. We have no pressure and our gen patrol is at it's largest

With ruin and currupt we are trying to cover up this weakness but i find it's often better to play to your strenghts rather then covering up weakness

What i usually try to do is at the start of the game while i make my way over to the survivor spawn is too look at gen placement and choose 2 of the outer ones to sacrifice

And everytime a gen gets done i try to pay attention to this as well. Try to make my patrol route as small as possible

While the first gens go flying. Once they are at the last 2 the game speed usually grinds to a halt if i play well. PGTW is really strong in this scenario to keep the gens you want as far from completion as possible

I'm a pretty mediocre killer but this usually works well for me if i don't make to many mistakes

So should killers stop focussing on covering up their weakness and play to their strenghts or is they're something i'm overlooking with this strategy?

What are your thoughts about it?

Comments

• ClickyClicky
    ClickyClicky Member Posts: 3,536
    Options

That’s what one of the devs said. That killers are designed to start out weak with many gens to patrol and those gens should go fast, and then as the amount of gens to patrol decreases the killer gets stronger.

It depends how you want to play. You could pick Doc and go 3 gen strat from the start. If I get Azarov’s resting place (abysmal map btw) then I try to hold off one half of the map and never venture to the other side because that’s how you lose that map.

If I use Billy then I don’t care and can go anywhere. Likewise with Wraiths speed add ons you don’t need to shrink the map either.

You could bring a number of perks and a killer that will help you snowball In which case you dont need to worry about gens.

I like corrupt because I like having more pressure from the start. Thats just my choice. If others feel the same way then this is a potential route they will go down.

• Sonzaishinai
    Sonzaishinai Member Posts: 7,976
    Options

Yeah it will depent a lot on wich killer you're playing

High mobility killers won't need to worry about this so much

• Murcielago
    Murcielago Member Posts: 163
    Options

The problem is if you three gen for a while you can get banned for it for " holding the game hostage"

• Sonzaishinai
    Options

I'm pretty sure that's just a fairytale survivors come up with like getting banned for tunneling

The game isn't held hostage. If a killer doesn't commit to a chase the gens will eventually get done

I'm not really talking about going all out and 3gen doctor without comitting to chases

I'm just suggesting that for some players it may be a more effective strategy to build around your strenght rather then trying to cover up the weakness of the early game

• ClickyClicky
    Options

A 3 gen can easily be played around if survivors aren’t bad. I’ve pulled it off against killers like Myers before. You just need survivors that are going to do hit & run tactics on the gens.

If survivors just hide at the edge of the map watching that’s when you’re screwed.

• Murcielago
    Murcielago Member Posts: 163
    Options

So I have to relay on if survivors want to get me banned or not okay

• ClickyClicky
    Options

Nobody ever said you get banned for a 3 gen strat. Thats not against the rules.

Stop believing salty people post-game.

• BenZ0
    BenZ0 Member Posts: 4,125
    edited January 2020
    Options

Thats why Clown and Legion are both trash killers.

Clown--> Really strong at chases bad at map pressure = trash killer

Legion--> Really strong at Map pressure and tracking but trash in killing = trash killer

As Killer you have to be good in every task, Chase, Map pressure and stall. But stall and Map pressure are connected in Dbd so we can put them together.

Nurse--> Good map pressure even if it got nerfed with the cooldown and insanely lethal in chase= Top Killer

Spirit--> Decent Map pressure and insanely lethal in chase= Top Killer

Billy--> Insane Map pressure and decent chase= Good Killer

• Sonzaishinai
    Options

Hard disagree on Legion being a thrash killer but you make a good point with the rest

• DeathBeam
    DeathBeam Member Posts: 259
    Options

Corrupt Intervention is mix-up for me, sometimes I find survivors easier, or they just flat out hide for 2 minutes and do nothing, but it depends on the survivors and map.

• Cymer
    Cymer Member Posts: 946
    Options

The biggest issue of the 3 gen strat is, the killer can defend the gens indefinitely and there are pressure on the survivors to complete the gens.

If 4 survivors are alive and you have to defend 3 gens you cannot afford to commit to a chase, because if you do, you will lose the game. On the survivor side, if you commit to a gen you get hooked and die, so it becomes a stalling match. Unfunny for all involved parties.

In the most cases then either the killer or survivors give up or it will result in a hatch game.

• EZ5k
    EZ5k Member Posts: 233
    Options

By the time the 3 gen happens with 4 people up. If none of them are on death or second hook, you've already lost.