Slugging

I would like to open the discussion up if slugging is an acceptable strategy for killers to use, I just got Bubba the last killer I needed, I avoided getting him since he seems so challenging to consistently win with, also I get the feeling like Oni kind of that as a killer it seems more appropriate to slug baiting survivors out. It’s more to handle I think but I’d like killer opinions and strats

Comments

• cipherbay_
    cipherbay_ Member Posts: 379

I played a trapper game earlier without ruin and against an object of obsession who kept disarming my traps, needless to say the gens got done in less than 5 minutes but I ended up with a 4k just because they were altruistic and I slugged them all. So yea, slugging after ruin nerf is most likely the only strategy to use

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,590
    edited January 2020

Once you get to a certain rank of players you are going to have to slug as it is the only way to apply enough pressure to have a chance of slowing gens down.

• ReallyBigShoe
    ReallyBigShoe Member Posts: 764

I will answer your question with a question.

Do you think looping is acceptable?

• Dryhigh
    Dryhigh Member Posts: 116

Yes I do, how else do you fight against something that speeds up the longer it chases you, also some background I’ve been to rank 2 killer 1 survivor, but I like staying in purple now for less stressful games. It seems super competitive at red

• LordGlint
    LordGlint Member Posts: 8,331

Had a similar discussion recently where I asked when it's appropriate to slug. The general consensus is whenever it feels like it would benefit you, with the only form considered BM is when you slug with the intention of making someone bleedout.

Sidenote... If ya need advice on Bubba... Lemme know.

• Rivyn
    Rivyn Member Posts: 3,022

Ruin is gone. Maps are the size of California. I don't use Nurse/Spirit/Billy. I play Trapper, Plague, and Wrait, so this can go for most M1 killers. We don't have a way to really slow the game down unless the survivor groups are complete potatoes, so slugging is indeed acceptable. It makes the survivors drop their gens to help.

Now, slugging all four and letting them die on the ground? That is unacceptable.

• ReallyBigShoe

Well, how else are you capable of applying even a little gen pressure with a killer that lacks mobility like Bubba, or Trapper on a map the size of texas? You guessed it. Slugging.

It's acceptable. Lots of survivors don't like it, and lots will DC. Survivors in general tend to not like anything killers do, so I wouldn't worry about that.

• Nikkiwhat
    Nikkiwhat Member Posts: 1,378

Slugging is fine, Ive done it to down 2 or more Survivors if I need to. I never have the intention to fully slug a team, but some situations call for not taking the time to immediately hook a Survivor.

The only strategy I hate and feel isn't acceptable is face camping or tunneling from the start of a match. It literally means a single person will get to do little after waiting to get into a match....and no, if all the Gens get done and the Killer gets no other kills & crap for points are not valid reasons for it. People who face camp or tunnel are not caring about playing a normal match of DBD. I've had to deal and witness that when I play Survivor FAR too much, one of the many reasons I prefer playing Killer (even if I have some frustrations when playing Killer, none come close to as bad as being face camped).

Slugging is only annoying when it's a Hillbilly ping ponging off Survivors, but even then I don't see it so bad....UNLESS the Killer jus leaves everyone on the floor... thankfully Unbreakable can be a soft counter to it. Had a match bounce back after a Killer slugged the 3 teammates I had, was able to chain get em back up ans finish the Gens and some of us escape. There's counter play and strategy behind it...doesn't always work for/against it, but still can add some great moments in a match

• Dryhigh

Oh I would appreciate advice on him, I’m rank 8 right now and got my first merciless with him using 3 level 1 perks and got called out for camping and tunneling with an endgame score of 30,780. Do you think it’s a better way of applying pressure to slug?

• Dryhigh

No I would never slug & let them die on the floor i will always pick them up if a teammate doesn’t beat me to it

• SithLordLuxray
    SithLordLuxray Member Posts: 44

For me, slugging is almost necessary, since DS is commonly used nowadays. Survivors like to think they’re invincible because they have it; and waltz in front of me, trying to protect their uninjured comrades. I glance at my watch or phone to check the time, and come back when DS is no longer active. Does it suck? Yes.

• DeathBeam
    DeathBeam Member Posts: 259

Sometimes if you want to get 4K you have to slug, especially if you need to avoid DS or to draw out the altruistic survivors.

• Nutty_Professor
    Nutty_Professor Member Posts: 621

I say this as a survivor main you can do anything you like as the killer, your role is to try and kill the four survivors. It's not your responsibility to provide the survivors with a fun game, it's the survivors responsibility to provide themselves with a fun game. If you believe you need to provide a fun game for the survivors, ask yourself this do the survivors care about your enjoyment?

Don't be afraid to slug it's a very good strategy to provide pressure on the survivors. How I see it is if the survivors allow themselves to get slugged then it's due to the survivors incompetence

• Dryhigh

I’m really mainly killer, at least I have them all. I’ve been playing survivor more lately with the rift. But I like both sides. My discussion is really about Strategies/builds and even killers who slugging is more appropriate with.

• Calabrum
    Calabrum Member Posts: 102

If half the survivor mains had your mentality this game would be genuinely amazing.

• Nikkiwhat

In my opinion, Killers like Oni, Michael Myers, Huntress and Trapper can do really well & capitalize off Slugging

• Dryhigh

Thank you! I do tend to Slug with Oni and Myers (while in their 3). What about someone like ‘New’ Doctor? Also what perks would be more effective if you plan on utilizing slugging in your strategy?

• ClickyClicky
    ClickyClicky Member Posts: 3,536

Slugging is fine. Its slugging when theres two survivors left that is dull.

Slugging during the game is a good tactic to slow the game down. As survivor you know you will be picked up eventually so long as your team isn’t completely useless.

However builds like you used to get with Nurse or Billy where the killer tries to slug all 4 before hooking any survivor...those are toxic and everybody misses out on points with that.

What I dislike is when endgame slugging gets drawn out. If the killer has played well and wants to slug for the 4k I’m not too fused if they slug me and have a little look for the other survivor. The problem arises when they slug over and over again or spend a few minutes looking for a Blendette who they will never find. There’s nothing wrong with having a little look but at some point it just becomes sad. Accept you can’t find them and move on. It used to make sense with the old hatch as the killer had no choice for the 4k but the new hatch/endgame is so killer sided that you’re still likely to get the 4th kill anyway.

• VincentRedfield
    VincentRedfield Member Posts: 285

There really needs to be a "give up/bleed out" button for slugged survivors after say 30 seconds.

What decent quality game lets people be stuck doing nothing in a miserable state DURING a game for 4 minutes? Even Call of Duty 4 had "cowards way out" for people with last stand.

• Markness
    Markness Member Posts: 242

Played against a very cocky SWF team that broke my ruin before I could even get there and rewarded me with a t-bag and flashlight clicks. They got the gens done but fear not.. ol' hillbilly was able to down them and snowball to return the game back into his hands. 4 slugs later and we have a 4k ladies and gentleman.. and a "brutal killer". Somehow the survivors probably all pipped but I didn't even though I had the highest score.. lol.

• Nutty_Professor
    Nutty_Professor Member Posts: 621
    edited January 2020

Slugging is appropriate with most killers. What I do is if I down a survivor and I see another survivor nearby I'll leave the downed survivor and go after the other survivor.

I can only play HillBilly and Leatherface at red ranks, I use the same build on both of them. BBQ & Chilli, Whispers, Nurses, Infectious freight (I use pop or play with your food instead of infectious on Bubba).

Thank you.

EDIT: I actually made a post about it a while ago.

https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/101754/you-ruined-my-fun/p1

• ReallyBigShoe
    edited January 2020

The same decent quality game where DS exists.

Also - awful idea. Killers slug because it creates gen pressure. If you don't like it, DBD isn't for you.

• Dryhigh

Thank you! I just got bubba so I don’t have PWYF on him yet but I’ve heard of how good it can be on him. Right now since he’s a baby I’m running Pop, Overcharge, BBQ & Thrilling Tremors. But the past few games I’ve had to Slug to maintain pressure and force a survivor out of hiding

• ClickyClicky
    ClickyClicky Member Posts: 3,536

At the very least you should be able to hold it to bleed out faster. This would still allow the killer time to finish a hook, or make it back to hook the slugged survivor but not force someone to sit there for a few minutes while they go looking for a Blendette in the corn.

• Nikkiwhat

I personally don't see Doctor doing too well with a focus on slugging, but that's just my personal opinion.

As for Builds:

Infectious Fright is (imo) almost Mandatory, it's SO good on giving information on where everyone is.

Deerstalker is an obvious choice to locate the downed Survivors to Hook em.

Knockout Is practically a godsend to make it harder for people to find the slugged Survivors and reduce the chance of people getting picked up, or picked up so quickly

Dark Devotion is a fun possible Perk to throw people off, make them run away from fellow Survivors and give you a chance to sneak up on unsuspecting Survivors

• LordGlint

Slugging is one way. I use to run a build on him with Infectious fright that worked pretty well. You can also try a build like THIS one which centers around PWYF to make him unloopable once you get afew stacks.

This has been a popular approach lately and makes him feel like a real threat. Figured with your PFP being what it is... You probably have nemesis.

• cthulhu_101
    cthulhu_101 Member Posts: 11

Some times I do slug but not often. but like one person, that asked about looping, I’m not bothered by looping, it’s more infinite loops that bother me, so you consider those to be “viable” strats

• Apple2o
    Apple2o Member Posts: 624

Takes too long to build the stacks imo. May as well just rock spirit fury and the beasts marks. You basically get a free saw every 2 pallets and unlike billy, it's almost impossible to miss.

• LordGlint

Treat each stack as a down. Even having just 1 is a big difference, but having multiple will make it impossible to loop you and will have ppl tossing every pallet instantly.

• Apple2o
    Apple2o Member Posts: 624

It's already almost impossible to loop spirit fury without a god window. But Nemesis + PWYF is gonna need you to find someone, eat a stun, and then chase that specific person for like 50 seconds to build up 3 stacks.

That's 50 seconds of 3 people on gens, not including the time to find and get stunned, and then you lose a stack to down the guy you are chasing, so you can be losing ~2 gens worth of time to get 2 stacks and a down.

So you basically need to turn them into a multiple slugs or you can be liable to almost lose the game just building it up twice against a really good team.

Very observant players will also notice you are using nemesis, and thus probably play with your food, and they will avoid pallet stunning you. Spirit fury you can bounce targets and instantly nail someone without warning. You also build it very fast with an insta-saw, especially if you predict the pallet throws correctly.

I would use it on like myers, because he can get benefits from the speed from better stalking as well. But on bubba specifically I think spirit fury is the way to go.

• tylerlogsdon1
    tylerlogsdon1 Member Posts: 158

Anyone can play how they want. The end. If everyone could accept that then the game would be alot nicer to play.

• KrispiesChicken
    KrispiesChicken Member Posts: 171

I slug usually when it's last two so the last can't escape via hatch so I get guaranteed 4k. It's an acceptable strategy. As much as looping a jungle gym or T wall is.

• 28_stabs
    28_stabs Member Posts: 1,470

If its not, then Knock out, Infectious Fright, Third Seal, Haunted Grounds, NOED, all one-shot powers and bleeding out mechanic shouldnt exist. xD

• BadMrFrosty
    BadMrFrosty Member Posts: 1,100

You'll have to slug post-mid chapter, more than you used to. That is, if you want to 'win'.. whatever that means in this game. Also, unbreakable exists, so if survivors AREN'T running it, they're insane. It's one of the best perks in the game against good killers, and when paired with DS (and run on all 4 survivors), you almost can't lose (barring superpower levels of idiocy on the part of your team).

• LordGlint

You don't have to kill so much time each time artificially building stacks. Like I said, PWYF bubba can't really be looped. When your riding someone's ass at a pallet, they either drop the pallet or get sawed. While you break each pallet... you'll naturally be gaining a stack while also creating giant deadzones very quickly.

You don't need 3 stacks to be dangerous. Even just 1 stack is gonna put someone in that situation of drop the pallet or get sawed. Very few ppl will CHOOSE the saw over the pallet.

• immortalls96
    immortalls96 Member Posts: 4,652

This right here..is why I say it's the future of dbd..hands down..all iridescent except gatekeeper..it means I won every chase..did it with speed, kept constant pressure and killed them all..but..the gens went by so fast I only won by slugging and fighting a war of attrition..

• TunnelVision
    TunnelVision Member Posts: 1,375

Slugging is the new meta when ruin changes go live. Perfectly fine until survivors stop having fun and the devs see a 80% increase of it being used.

• ABannedCat
    ABannedCat Member Posts: 2,529

Slugging has a foolproof counter, Unbreakable. Which in turn has no counterplay from the killer, apart from just picking everyone up right away. Survivors have therefor no reasons to complain about it. If you don't like slugging, but then refuse to use a non-DLC teachable perk to counter it, then thats your fault, not the killer's.

• Yamaoka
    Yamaoka Member Posts: 4,321

Don't forget Tenacity. Makes getting slugged even fun for me at least. Crawling to a strong loop with increased crawling speed WHILE recovering at the same time is pretty good against slugging.

• MigrantTheGreat
    MigrantTheGreat Member Posts: 1,379

There's nothing wrong with slugging, you'll generate a ######### ton of pressure since someone isn't doing anything. Your gonna get a lot of salt though because survivors don't like getting forced not to play.

• DonZwiebel
    DonZwiebel Member Posts: 136

As survivor when being slugged is pretty boring. Good that I can do different things while waiting to die finally. If the killer finds it a good idea doing so, so what? Let hime do it, but wake me up when game is over. 😴

As killer I avoid slugging as far as possible. The only exception is when I down a survivor and a second chase could be started immediatly. But I never felt the urge to slug an entire team.

• Thasard
    Thasard Member Posts: 268

As a Survivor main, if you get slugged too much, equip Unbreakable and get yourself off the ground so your Survivors can stay on gens and punish the killer.

The reasoning behind people saying this is acceptable because it's forcing people to leave their gens to heal you is bogus. If the killer actually hooks you, they still have to get off their gen and save you, so that reasoning does not fly with me.

• immortalls96
    immortalls96 Member Posts: 4,652

Lol I could care less about the emblem, it's what it represents

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,184

Slugging isn't new and is just as valid of a tactic as anything else.

Also,

Do you know why slugged survivor's health bar goes down?

The salt. 😉

• Dryhigh

I got PWYF and the difference is insane, I’m getting 4ks more now. No stopping the bubba train!

• Dryhigh

It won’t happen every time but I just played my first game today and managed to get stunned, build 3 stacks on lvl 1 PWYF then ran to a gen down 2 survivors with one chainsaw loosing 1 stack.

• DBD78
    DBD78 Member Posts: 3,455

Is escaping acceptable? Unhooking?

• LordGlint

The difference PWYF makes is insane, lol. When I started using it, I was plowing through team after team while barely using add-ons.