why is the writing for patchnotes and perks not super clear

Sentry
Sentry Member Posts: 124
edited January 2020 in General Discussions

The ruin patchnotes never mentioned anything about changing ruin to look at gen times. If there going to change something that is in 80% high rank killer matches, then shouldn't the patchnotes have a reason that killers would value like the overall health of the game. Why haven't they just put that into the patchnotes.

Perks like Surge are very unclear.

If they want people to think and believe they love there game, then perks and other created items should be crystal clear.

Comments

• ALostPuppy
    ALostPuppy Member Posts: 3,398

Tbh there are quite a lot of perks that have unwritten features to them, such as spine chill still affecting fast vaults, and perks like open-handed not really working with a few other perks as well as descriptions needing a slight tweak with their wording but I think it's ok.

What I WOULD want is for a lot of the killer add-ons to show actual numbers instead of "moderately, considerably...". I'd much rather have the numbers and percentages in the descriptions than a vague word which will force me to just look up the values on the wiki anyway. Giving us actual numbers such as seconds for charge time, terror radius etc is much more intuitive and would help literally every single person who plays this game. Idk I just hope the Devs will eventually do this.

• Fibijean
    Fibijean Member Posts: 8,342

I agree that sometimes the wording on perks could be clearer. I usually just chalk it up to the fact that many of the devs are bilingual, and English isn't necessarily their first language even though they may be fluent in it, so occasionally a grammatical error or a strangely worded sentence slips under the radar.

As for the patch notes, it's not customary for patch notes in games to provide a justification for every change. Patch notes are there to tell you what changes were made, not why. Littering them with explanations would just clutter them up and make it harder to distinguish the actual information.

• ABannedCat
    ABannedCat Member Posts: 2,529
    edited January 2020

The English translation is fine, however most other translations are not. They are litterally just copy pasted from Google Translator. The wording is so broken that many people, indluding me, litterally switch to the English version of the game, because perks and add-ons and powers don't actually explain whats going on. In the German version for example it litterally says on the description of the perk Insidious that you become invisible. The developers even realised that bug, but never made any effort to fix, even though that wouldnt even take 30 second to correct.

• Sentry
    Sentry Member Posts: 124

@Fibijean

What about killer players who use ruin a lot and don't look on the forums. Wouldn't they just see the patchnotes and leave? There's nothing about compensation or any future changes that killers would value its all just seems to be a negative. For killers

• Fibijean

Why would that kind of thing be in the patch notes? The patch notes just state what changes were made, they're not meant to be a place for the devs to talk about their future plans. Again, that's literally never the case in any game.

Unless by "Patch Notes" you mean the "Designer Notes", in which case that's another discussion entirely and not what I was referring to when describing the purpose of patch notes.

• Decarcassor
    Decarcassor Member Posts: 651

If anything, patch notes tend to be clearer than the perks or add-ons themselves. At least they give actual numbers in the notes. None of that slightly, moderatly, tremendously, etc... nonsense.

Its really annoying to have to read wikis wich might have outdated infos and search through patchnotes to know what the hecks the things you are playing with are actually doing. Some add-ons or perks have straight up misleading descriptions.

I guess one of the "advantages" of vague descriptors is that they can hide just how poorly thought and ineffective some add-ons and perks truly are. I personnaly despise that design.

• LordGlint
    LordGlint Member Posts: 8,363

So... What I'm hearing is... German Bubba can disappear? That's epic

• OmegaXII
    OmegaXII Member Posts: 2,191

Only one thing is clear. The bias

/s

• Fibijean

It increases vaulting speed, among other things, if the killer is looking in your direction.

• ClickyClicky
    ClickyClicky Member Posts: 3,536
    edited January 2020

The writing of the perks is slightly clear. If you want the writing to be considerately clear you should explain moderately to the dev team the benefits of such a change.

Hopefully they will respond in a tremendously reasonable timeframe.

I guess I’m making the same point as @Decarcassor

• TheBean
    TheBean Member Posts: 2,320

Cause it wouldn't have matter, the killer mains would have ignored it and still come on here to complain.

• Eye66
    Eye66 Member Posts: 822

Plausible deniability for a lot of the random nonsense they insert into patches, or possibly it's originally written in French and translated imperfectly