What do people think about the Badham maps?

ad19970
ad19970 Member Posts: 6,356

I'm curious to see what people think of the Badham maps. Personally, after playing them often enough, I feel like they still have a few too many safe pallets. There's killer shack, then there are the two safe pallets at the school and at the house with the basement, and then there's the safe pallet upstairs in the house with two floors. All of which have no counterplay for killer.

Some of the other randomly generated pallet loops also still seem big enough to be quite safe for good survivors, making them unmindgameable against optimal survivors. And then there are the car loops which seem to have a fair size, but they have some really weird collision boxes that make them unnecessarily hard to navigate around.

And then there are still some good window loops as well, mainly the one at the fence outside of the school. I personally feel like there are still too many safe loops that survivors can waste a killers time at, considering how fast gens can be repaired without Ruin.

I'm curious what others think though. I don't want the map to have no safe pallets at all, but less than now would probably be nice in my opinion. I do feel like they are some of the more balanced maps though, but without Ruin, it still seems a bit hard to apply enough map pressure and down survivors fast enough to combat gen speed. Of course, this is very killer dependent though.

Comments

• Xerge
    Xerge Member Posts: 928

There are two god loops on that map.

• DocFabron
    DocFabron Member Posts: 2,410

3 actually. Killer shack, boiler room, and the basement house.

• Alice_pbg
    Alice_pbg Member Posts: 6,556

I like them. Overall pretty good.

I don't like the fence/school loop.

The pallet in the boiler room is super safe and so is the basement one.

Personally, the biggest problem with the basement house is that window in front of the stairs. If that's open the loop is too good.

But again, still think it's pretty good overall

• Eye66
    Eye66 Member Posts: 822

I like all the badham maps now, they feel much fairer and I have way more exciting games on most of them. And totems actually have some decent spots sometimes

• ad19970

Boiler room? That's the basement of the school right? Or am I being stupid?

• ad19970

Yes I agree. That window seems a bit too good honestly.

I do hope that in future reworks, they make sure to have as many mindgameable pallets as possible. Those that allow counterplay for both sides. A few safe pallets are fine, but the school with it's two safe pallets and the window fence as well as the house with the basement, which again spawns two safe pallets and can spawn some good windows is just a bit too much.

• ad19970

Ok yeah that's true. There's a pallet in the upper floor that can also be really safe.

• ad19970

I do agree in general. They definitely are better than the original one was, I just feel like survivors still have a few too many positions they can get into where they are relatively safe, if that makes sense.

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 16,060

They are fine. It is ok to have some safe Pallets on the Map, and every Pallet outside of a Building is unsafe. If the Killer is only a little bit competent, a Survivor trying to play those Pallets will get hit.

And well, if you get run on those Pallets as Killer, the problem is not the Map.

So yeah, I like new Badham, but I hate that Bloodlust is a thing on this Map. Same with Spirit Fury, because at those unsafe Pallets you need the Stun to get some Distance, but with Spirit Fury/Enduring, you dont get any value out of it.

• Eye66
    Eye66 Member Posts: 822

If you take the long way around cars it takes too long to get a hit in most cases

• shootaman777
    shootaman777 Member Posts: 138

As survivor, it's too easy to win to the point where it is boring to play on. Safe pallets as far as the eye can see, 3 timewaster loops... it's not even a challenge. Depending on the quality of fellow survivors, it's still possible to lose the match overall, but survival is not difficult, for survivors who know how to chain (abuse) the timewasters.

As killer, it's a boring slog to chase people who know what they're doing through the same loops over and over. Against people who don't know what they're doing, it's not fulfilling to win because it's clear that they could have won if they knew what they were doing.

• SquidFacedMan
    SquidFacedMan Member Posts: 148

Badham is still preferable to Haddonfield. That's not saying much though. There are areas of Badham that kind of feel weird and unfinished. honestly think the map should be made a bit smaller and just cut out the grassy areas.

• ad19970
    edited January 2020

Yeah I agree that maps should have some safe pallets. I just think that the safe pallets at the buildings in combination with some of the good window loops is a bit much. Removing one or two safe would do the trick for me personally. But I do think they are still balanced fairly well in general.

I disagree that there are no safe pallets outside of the buildings. The majority are mindgameable, but there are some pallet loops that seem too big to be mindgameable against optimal survivors. Those pallets you have to either break or wait for bloodlust. And yes, I do agree that Bloodlust can be a bit of a problem in maps like these, which can turn pallets that can be mindgamed by both killer and survivor into almost guaranteed hits for killer. Though with the maps overall structure and it's number of safe pallets and good window loops, I don't think Bloodlust is in any way op at the moment.

I also don't really feel like there are any pallets that are completely unsafe, once the pallet is down survivors can still mindgame any of the pallet loops potentially long enough to buy their team enough time to make a difference, even against good killers.

• Rivyn
    Rivyn Member Posts: 3,022

I don't have the numbers in my head, but two I like, two I don't. The two I don't have wide open areas in the middle, where survivors can see me coming from half a map away and run to a nearby infinite.

• Mringasa
    Mringasa Member Posts: 980

I enjoy playing on them. They offer up enough variety that I don't mind seeing Badham come up multiple times in my rotation when I'm playing for long stretches of time. They did a pretty decent job updating the map, and giving it enough variety in its different iterations that it never really feels stale. Some things I like about certain ones of them, some I dislike. Overall they feel like they're in a decent place.

• woundcowboy
    woundcowboy Member Posts: 1,994

Badham continues to be one of the worst maps in the game. As others have mentioned, there are way too many safe loops and most versions are too big for killers to be able to defend. At least before the rework, there was only one version of the map. Now there are five, which is just better odds that the killer is going to get a terrible map draw. I can’t say that I am looking forward to future reworks.