Devs please end this debate

Options

I see so many people saying that when the 5th gen is done, the killer lost. Thats not the case. The generators aren't the killers objective, they aren't even the survivors ultimate objective.

The killer needs to stop people from escaping. Survivors need to escape. That is the entire win condition.

@Almo or @peanits or anyone. Please answer this

Comments

• TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871
    Options

Whether the win con is escapes/kills or points or emblems/pips is debatable and can differ from person to person. It is definitely not just finishing all the gens.

• csandman1977
    csandman1977 Member Posts: 2,358
    Options

Thanks for answering! At risk of being greedy in my developer time monopolization, any chance for specified and clearly defined win conditions in the future? Seems like the ambiguity of it all causes all kinds of communication issues.

• MiktheSpik
    MiktheSpik Member Posts: 75
    Options

Why do you need him to quote a general wincon. There are two people. People trying to escape, and people trying ti get bloodpoints

• lasombra1979
    lasombra1979 Member Posts: 1,142
    Options

As a survivor, I consider it a win if I escape.Its extra nice if others escape as well. As a killer, half my builds are meant for end game, so I dont care if they get all 5 gens going.

• NEVELEVEN11
    NEVELEVEN11 Member Posts: 141
    Options

I dont understand whats complicated. Escaping as a team means fixing gens and opening gates. The gens arent the objective. Theyre the way to complete the objective. If theyre completed then the killer has lost an advantage. They havent lost completely

• mmorrow8
    mmorrow8 Member Posts: 59
    Options

the objective is to escape by any means necessary but the typical way we play the game we do the gens. If people find the hatch and have a key they go through there, or they wait of endgame and open an exit. DCing also counts as an escape so those that think gens are the primary objective of survivors, it's a "well yes but actually no" idea. The only reason survivors do gens is because it is seen as a faster method or the easiest route that can achieve the most bonus from it but if you think about it you could also act like that P3 Claudette that sits in a corner and does nothing until it's time to escape or you could run the killer around till the gens possibly get popped or they DC.

• Mikebrix
    Mikebrix Member Posts: 14
    Options

Sounds like you run noed..mmm Sweaty.

• thunderfly
    thunderfly Member Posts: 23
    Options

I usually let one go because that's what happens In the movies. The objective is "play this game in whatever way is funnest for you"... lol

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,460
    edited January 2020
    Options

"I see so many people saying that when the 5th gen is done, the killer lost."

They say this because after the 5th gens done you aren't getting more kills unless they play dumb or you have NOED.

If the gates took longer and regressed when not finished then maybe things would be different. However that isn't the case.

• csandman1977
    csandman1977 Member Posts: 2,358
    Options

Yes!

Basically i keep seeing those stupid comments about NOED rewarding you for losing. No matter how logical you make an argument about gens not being the win condition many people still consider the killer losing as the last gen is popped.

I really just wanted official clarification.

Thanks again!

• kajagobi
    kajagobi Member Posts: 41
    Options

Point of killer is to please the Entity?

• goat10em
    goat10em Member Posts: 749
    Options

I don't care what the devs or anyone else says. When the opponent, killer or survivor messages me with the likes of "#########" or any hate really...I have won.

• EldritchElise87
    EldritchElise87 Member Posts: 626
    Options

For me it is, any kills after the gates are powered feel like a consolation tbh, that being said I didn't start off thinking like this, and just went for kills by any means necessary, but as ive out more and more hours in you need to set yourself aims, keeps things interesting.,

• Mrjuice
    Mrjuice Member Posts: 94
    Options

Are we going to get the ranking/emblem system reworked soon cause it clearly doesn't represent 2 kills 2 escapes(what the devs wanted to balance around) as a draw and 3-4 kills as a win.

• ABannedCat
    ABannedCat Member Posts: 2,529
    Options

Ideally the ranking system, in our case the emblem system, should rank how well you did.

• AvisDeene
    AvisDeene Member Posts: 2,396
    Options

I consider it a win if I got to touch David, Ghostface, Daddy Trapper and Sir Michaels bodies.

• dkyguy1995
    dkyguy1995 Member Posts: 45
    Options

Especially considering the number of endgame perks available like NOED, Blood Warden, Remember Me.. the game is not over when the gens are done

• ThiccDoc23
    ThiccDoc23 Member Posts: 8
    Options

As a killer main, I can't help but agree with you more, I lost count of the amount of times survivors finished gens but the exit gates are like 2 ft from one another, and ended up stomping them because of how dumb it is. But it is a blessing when you've been getting your ass kicked by survs the entire match

• ZombieTCO
    ZombieTCO Member Posts: 4
    Options

That's not the point of the post, I believe. It's about the gatekeeper emblem and other issues related to that. Killers lose out on BP opportunities and pip opportunities when the survivors get all five gens done, and the game's ranking system determines that the completed gens count towards the killer 'losing' even if he gets a 4k.

• NullEXE
    NullEXE Member Posts: 1,632
    Options

Then why does the score system punish killers when Gen's are complete? There are so many times you have to let generator's go, just to confirm another kill, or you simply will not make it to that side of the map in time. Like they have 5.

Killers should be getting points for scaring survivors off generators, damaging generators, and paroling them at least if you are gonna count generators in the pip system for killers.

• AvengerBear
    AvengerBear Member Posts: 100
    Options

To me, getting a pip is a win, doesn't matter if i escape or die. Black pip is a draw and a depip is a lose.

• Ramxenoc445
    Ramxenoc445 Member Posts: 1,358
    Options

A win for me is a pip.

• JohnofPA
    JohnofPA Member Posts: 12
    Options

I mean I've had games on either side with 4 survivors alive and the gen pops but the game ends with 4 dead survivors. I think either side could consider it a victory then (4k is pretty nice as killer and lots of bloodpoints is nice as survivor)

• honestlybaffled
    honestlybaffled Member Posts: 175
    Options

A win for me is a pip too.

Two pips = i am god

• Dreamnomad
    Dreamnomad Member Posts: 3,683
    Options

I disagree. DBD does in fact have a clear win condition. It is the emblem system. I don't think it could be clearer actually. If you pip then you win. It is possible for both the killer and survivors to both win btw. I'm sure that concept will melt a lot of player's brains though.

• Fibijean
    Fibijean Member Posts: 8,342
    edited January 2020
    Options

I agree with you, OP. I could be wrong, of course, since I'm apparently contradicting the official position here, but I don't feel it could get much more clearly defined than the in-game manual.

• Investigator
    Investigator Member Posts: 15
    Options

It's not done until the game says it's done.

• thelioncid
    thelioncid Member Posts: 43
    Options

I don't care about the victory, I like the games to be interesting and complicated, but I don't like to be executed at the beginning and as assassins they hide all the time. That's boring

• Raptorrotas
    Raptorrotas Member Posts: 3,226
    Options

The "i win if others made it out" idea falls apart on the score mechanics and the default game mode.

"A survivor wins if he escapes."

Swf doesnt change rulesets or anything, it just puts up to 4 people against the same killer. Ingame theyre still treated as 4 individuals with different interests.

Unless the devs change score/emblem conditions for groups, there will still be only one wincon for survs.

"Escape" or "kill the survivors"