• Someissues
    Someissues Member Posts: 1,604
    Options

no it isnt, its Kuchisake-onna

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kuchisake-onna

• Twix
    Twix Member Posts: 235
    Options
    Kuchisake-onna is a woman, that was a man’s voice (unless the devs are misleading us) but then again, the mask at the beginning is a pretty good resemblance of Oni
  • HellDescent
    HellDescent Member Posts: 4,883
    Options

@Someissues said:

Look at the mask

• Someissues
    Options

@HellDescent said:

Look at the mask

She will be similar to Geisha from Identity V, so she will be chasing people with the mask most likely

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sLDcnwQMcg&t=221s

• Okuu46
    Okuu46 Member Posts: 93
    edited August 2018
    Options

@Someissues said:

How is it Kuchisake-onna? In the trailer, the man says "There is no point, dear daughter.
    We are born to die. The more we wait, the more pain we carry." The person the guy was killing, was his daughter; not his wife. In legend, it was a wife that was killed, not a daughter.

The two possible killers at this point might be "The samurai" or "The Oni"

• Someissues
    Options

@Okuu46 said:

How is it Kuchisake-onna? In the trailer, the man says "There is no point, dear daughter.
    We are born to die. The more we wait, the more pain we carry." The person the guy was killing, was his daughter; not his wife. The two possible killers at this point might be "The samurai" or "The Oni"

The whole story is based on Kuchisake-onna thats why, you people will see it on the PTB anyway

• Okuu46
    Okuu46 Member Posts: 93
    edited August 2018
    Options

@Someissues said:

@Okuu46 said:

We are born to die. The more we wait, the more pain we carry." The person the guy was killing, was his daughter; not his wife. The two possible killers at this point might be "The samurai" or "The Oni"

The whole story is based on Kuchisake-onna thats why, you people will see it on the PTB anyway

if that's the case, then why did he use his sword in the trailer to strike downward instead of sideways? and if you listen closely, he strikes the victim multiple times? If he was cutting her mouth, wouldn't it be a clean side ways motion cut, not a downwards fast paced motion cut?

It sounded like he was cutting her limbs off?

• GaymerGuy91
    GaymerGuy91 Member Posts: 11
    Options

I can see the Oni but also the Kuchisake story as well. Maybe it's not the killer talking but her dad and he's allowing her husband to do this to her. IDK I'm just happy we have more trailer because it means the reveal is soon :) and the Japanese style is going to be a lot of fun!!

• HellDescent
    Options

I doubt BEhavior would copy or try to resemble killers from other games

• Someissues
    Options

@HellDescent said:
    I doubt BEhavior would copy or try to resemble killers from other games

They are consultants and helping out in Identity V, so i don't see why not, since there was a mask it's very likely its part of her design/ gameplay mechanic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hqZE87KpW8

• Someissues
    Options

Kuchisake-onna also doesn't like her face being seen, that's why she WORE A MASK

so it's 100% Kuchisake-onna at this point

• White_Owl
    White_Owl Member Posts: 3,786
    edited August 2018
    Options

Only because there's a mask? It most probably is there for context purposes or will have some meaning for the killer (like the Bunny mask in Huntress' trailer)

• C4Garuda
    C4Garuda Member Posts: 198
    Options
    No no and NO. Kuchisake-Onna got slaughtered by her samurai husband for cheating. The mask will be a cosmetic as well as the sword im sure. Lmaoo how you got Oni killer from that idk what you seen. First thing you see on the screen and you jump at it lol i guess when Kate was teased you thought the killer would attack with a guitar huh? Context clues my boy, context clues.
  • HellDescent
    Options

Kuchisake-onna wears a surgical mask though. But anyway we'll all find out soon enough

• HellDescent
    edited August 2018
    Options

@C4Garuda said:
    No no and NO. Kuchisake-Onna got slaughtered by her samurai husband for cheating. The mask will be a cosmetic as well as the sword im sure. Lmaoo how you got Oni killer from that idk what you seen. First thing you see on the screen and you jump at it lol i guess when Kate was teased you thought the killer would attack with a guitar huh? Context clues my boy, context clues.

kuchisake-onna didn't "get slaughtered by her husband" she killed herself. You should read a little first boy

• C4Garuda
    C4Garuda Member Posts: 198
    Options

@C4Garuda said:

kuchisake-onna didn't "get slaughtered by her husband" she killed herself. You should read a little first

Actually yes the origin is mixed between original and modern stories. Some stories indicate he just slit her mouth, others say he slaughtered her and gave her the smile. In this video hes clearly slaughtering her. Her story is constantly twisted, modern age has her wear a mask but it didnt start that way.
  • Piekenier
    Piekenier Member Posts: 17
    Options

Perhaps the Shuten-doji is the main inspiration. More here:

http://folklorethursday.com/legends/three-evil-yokai-japan/#sthash.A7EAJUt2.dpbs

The focus on a priest, Oni mask and a love for alcohol definitely fits the hints and teasers given so far. The Oni mask in particular really is the main focus and must be related to the killer I feel.

Does anyone know what the two scrolls say?

• HellDescent
    Options

@Piekenier said:
    Perhaps the Shuten-doji is the main inspiration. More here:

http://folklorethursday.com/legends/three-evil-yokai-japan/#sthash.A7EAJUt2.dpbs

The focus on a priest, Oni mask and a love for alcohol definitely fits the hints and teasers given so far. The Oni mask in particular really is the main focus and must be related to the killer I feel.

Does anyone know what the two scrolls say?

I just watched a video on those three actually https://youtube.com/watch?v=6vfdu3jafzM .

• AlphaKinh0077
    AlphaKinh0077 Member Posts: 12
    Options
    Am I the only one that has noticed that we may be getting a map with thunder and lighting? Also it could be just for the teaser.
  • cruno
    cruno Member Posts: 1
    Options

My god anything but Oni or samurai.. It won't fit into the atmosphere at all

• Someissues
    Options

@HellDescent said:
    Kuchisake-onna wears a surgical mask though. But anyway we'll all find out soon enough

You are confusing Kuchisake-onna with the modern version. we are talking about Edo period Kuchisake-onna, which wearing a mask is perfectly acceptable

• Weederick
    Weederick Member Posts: 1,080
    Options

Niiice, looks like a oneshot killer fingerguns Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru!

• Pirscher
    Pirscher Member Posts: 602
    Options

I think the woman is the killer.
    Some of the previous original killers share a common aspect:

They endured suffering causing them to turn into a killer.

Philip Ojomo unknowingly killed people by crushing them in cars at the wreckers. Lisa Sherwood was kidnapped, tortured and imprisoned in a basement. etc etc

• Someissues
    Options

The scroll here says Rise from the Dead, again another hint that tells us it's gonna be Kuchisake-onna

• JEWberry
    JEWberry Member Posts: 78
    Options
    Okuu46 said:

@Someissues said:

@Okuu46 said:

if that's the case, then why did he use his sword in the trailer to strike downward instead of sideways? and if you listen closely, he strikes the victim multiple times? If he was cutting her mouth, wouldn't it be a clean side ways motion cut, not a downwards fast paced motion cut?

It sounded like he was cutting her limbs off?

The sword was sideways BEFORE he turned it to start cutting her limbs. The ground was red, the sword was already bloody and she was already whimpering throughout the entire quote. It is possible he already cut her face and was giving her a final say before brutally slaughtering her. 
  • Guiltron
    Guiltron Member Posts: 149
    Options

It's Samurai Jack you dumbos.

• finitethrills
    finitethrills Member Posts: 617
    Options
    Adeloo said:

@Okuu46 said:

@Someissues said:

We are born to die. The more we wait, the more pain we carry." The person the guy was killing, was his daughter; not his wife. In legend, it was a wife that was killed, not a daughter.

The two possible killers at this point might be "The samurai" or "The Oni"

How to demonstrate it's the slit-mouthed woman :

1) the man in the trailer talked. This would be a first after so many killers and survivors to get a character who actually talk beside the Entity, so probably not to show off the killer but more the story of the killer.
    2) in the Slit-mouthed woman legend she cheated on her samourai husband who slitted her mouth in a big smile. then she suicided and roamed around to ask people if she was pretty. She also usually wears a surgery mask such as Feng in her first set of cosmetics.
    3) the mask we see in the first second of the trailer is an Hannya mask. Hannya are vengeful woman spirit seaking revenge.
    4) the fact that the man say "daugther" doesn't means his victim is his daughter but could be just him quoting a famous poem like a lot of villain before killing someone does in movies or series ( Joker in Batman 1989 or Jules in Pulp Fiction quoting the Bible )

You have valid points, except 3.  That is absolutely NOT a Hannya mask.  Hannya is stylised a particular way, and that mask with its third eye, wild hair, and snaggle teeth is definitely an Oni mask.  It may or may not be a hint to the killer, but that's what sort of mask it is.