Core game mechanic: useful dull totems

Options
leyzyman
leyzyman Member Posts: 355

Before you read, if you do not want to hear my personal issues with the game, skip to the big gap I will leave between 2 paragraphs. This is quite a lengthy post.

So, I have actually already posted this on the general discussion page. However, no one is paying attention because it is currently a flame war between multiple killer and survivor mains. I really want people to talk about this, because I think it is a good idea, but I feel like someone can point out a flaw or 2.

So, most people are currently up in arms about the newest patch for the game. I am personally against it, as there are 0 perks now that have early gen pressure (corrupt doesn't count, as it basically takes away 3 gens, not pressures all gens). So now, killers are starting to bring Moris, lots of NOED, camping, tunneling, getting a 3 gen strat, ect. In response, more survivors are bringing toolboxes, bringing more keys, clicking flashlights, tbagging, ect. Toxicity on both sides is becoming a bit more rampant (I know NOED isnt inheritely toxic, but it is usually used in a toxic playstyle).

The main issue is that the game has quite a few core issues, and instead of fixing the core issues, the devs do a bandaid-fix on something.

Examples;

To many pallets? Use spirit fury.

Problems with killer's speed? Use play with your food.

To many vaults or sick of god loops? Use bamboozle.

Killer slugs? Use unbreakable.

Killer camping? Use Borrowed Time.

Sick of survivors using sprint burst on gens? Use mindbreaker (I mean, it tries to be good).

My point is, if you remove a bandaid and reveal a core issue of the game, than people get mad. Before hand, you could just say 'well, I didn't run Ruin, so it is my fault', but now there isnt anything atm that passively slows down gens.

Atm, there are 2 big issues that cause the problem of gen speeds:

1. Large maps making slow killers worse

2. Gen speeds are really quick, and cannot be pressured well.

Because of these 2 issues, it feels unfair as killer, because if survivors understand how to get gens done, most killers cant apply enough pressure to stop them.

So, a core issue needs a core resolve for it to be truly fixed, and I got an idea that could work out well. On top of that, you do not need to think about creating any new assets, as you already have them.

So, with that explanation done, let me talk about the proposed fix: making dull totems useful.

The idea would be this;

For every dull totem on the map, the generators will suffer a 4% slower progression. Hex totems will not affect gen speed.

This idea would have ups and downs for both side, even if it inheritely seems killer sided. Here are the benefits if each side:

Killer:

Finally gives an issue about gen speeds

Makes dull totems have a purpose besides a NOED placement.

Survivors:

Killers will run less hex perks, as they will decide to keep the gen speed lowered.

NOED will be slightly buffed from this concept, but most totems will be cleansed by that point.

There are probably more reasons that this would be good for both sides. And I know that there are some flaws od it that I can't see. But I really think this would be good for the community.

Please, give me feedback to improve this idea.

Comments

• GeneralSpudmuffin
    GeneralSpudmuffin Member Posts: 311
    Options

A decent idea, I like it. I'm not really seeing anything wrong with it, but I'm fairly new to the game and not too familiar with it yet.

• Brucecastro81
    Brucecastro81 Member Posts: 1,609
    Options

Just need to reduce a lil bit the penalty

• leyzyman
    Options

Alright, maybe 3.5% each, for a total of 21 percent (I believe it is 6 totems in the game)

• Waffleyumboy
    Waffleyumboy Member Posts: 7,318
    Options

It's 5 totems. Seems like a good idea.

• leyzyman
    Options

If it is 5, then I would stick to the original 4% regression idea.

• Chaoxide
    Chaoxide Member Posts: 69
    Options

Interesting idea, however gen speed is something i do not believe the devs will want implemented. Action speeds for the killer would be the way to go

• ModernFable
    ModernFable Member Posts: 836
    Options

@leyzyman

I don’t believe Behavior want to implement changes that inhibit survivors any further, especially Gen speed.

It’s not a bad idea, but I don’t think it fits with their direction.

• Karl_Childers
    Karl_Childers Member Posts: 669
    edited January 2020
    Options

The main issue I see right off the bat, is that this buffs camping killers. That’s an immediate strike. At the very least hook time, mainly the first stage as nobody really wants to struggle much longer, would need to be significantly lengthened to account for this added penalty. Say one totem gets cleansed before first hook, we’d be looking at a 16% penalty plus possibly a little more depending on killer perks. You can’t decrease the gen punishment for campers as it will win them the game. I would say increase the hook time to the point it not only covers the max penalty, but actually puts campers in a worse spot than now. Proxy camp/tunnel would need to be looked at too. If survivors can’t rush their objective, then neither should killers.

An alternative method to use the totems, which I prefer, is starting out with a Repair penalty but by the time you cleanse them all you actually have a little buff in speed compared to now. So doing all 5 doesn’t just get you back to current speed. I think there should be a little more of a reward besides BP. I’m not sure of the numbers, but it would probably take 4 to get back to current speed. Then the 5th puts you ahead. Something like that.

• Sholin_Spade
    Sholin_Spade Member Posts: 7
    Options

The issue I see with this is for new players. I'm personally a veteran, just finally decided to join the forum. Anyway, imagine being a new survivor. You just started this game, and in your first trial then gens are extremely slow (You can't count on other players to tell you why). A survivor gets hooked, and a little symbol of a lantern pops up. Its dying light. -20% progress to gens because of 5 totems, then -3% for all actions (for just one hook). I bet ruin is in play too, -200% regression speed for leaving the gen to save.

Now I know this is worst case, but I don't see the balance. I want to remain unbiased, I play plenty of both survivor and killer, but mostly survivor (70%/30%). As killer, there are weaker abilities and movement speed than others. I do feel the games have gone faster for when I play survivor, and I am having a hard time playing my favorite killers. My idea for the solution, is to alter the EGC instead.

While we worry about gens being rushed we can focus on the EGC instead. The reason is, that's when the issue really begins. It's not gens getting done persé, it's from the final gen to the opening of the gates (or closing the hatch).

Perhaps if its changed that the last gen is popped, EGC automatically starts, (add 15-30 more seconds for adjustment) each dull totem adds a 3% movement speed (or something). This way, there can be more perks created to alter the EGC (blood warden would be used more, NoED still as strong as ever, remember me to add dismay) and new perks to adjust time or speed, or auras.

It's hard to balance a game with many variable causes to winning or losing. However, I feel like this would help more, to add pressure and focus the core of the game... to escape or to kill. Please the Entity however you want.