The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

NOED default?

I’ve been thinking about a change like this for a while now, and I’d like some feedback and suggestions to make it a better argument.

What if noed was a default thing all killers had built in, separate from perks. This would place more importance on cleansing, something the devs said they wanted to do in their q&a stream. Survivors would know that, if they didn’t spend time to cleanse the totems, they would face a noed killer. There could be a totem counter somewhere for survivors so solo survivors wouldn’t panic at the end of the game, and could know whether or not they had completed this side objective. This would also slow down the game in a way that is interactive to both sides, as the survivors have to run around and find the totems, and killers would run into survivors more because of this. The last thing this would achieve is alleviating the annoyance of noed as a perk, because you would know the killer has it every time, and if you don’t cleanse, it is legitimately your fault as a team.

I’d like the community’s response to this, and please be civil and constructive in your criticism.

(in case you’re wondering, I’m a killer main who is rank 1 in both roles)

Comments

• Ancheri
    Ancheri Member Posts: 157

So I like the idea of a secondary objective and I think it would fit quite nicely with those totems (if I remeber correctly bhvr mentioned they would want the totems to be linked to the second objective as well). If it adds a totem counter so solo players wouldn't have much of a disadvantage, that would be great too.

However, considering most (or even all) killers had a kill rate of over 50 % previous to the ruin rework (relating to november stats here), I think buffing the killer side additionally to adding the side objective wouldn't fit in the current meta.

Slowing down the game by adding a second objective? Sure. But auto-NOED is too much of an advantage in my opinion as long as (statswise) the game favors killers.

(I play killers and survivors equally)

• Streanschwien
    Streanschwien Member Posts: 14

I know that the auto noed would be a bit powerful but I can’t really think of anything else that would result from the totems not being cleansed. Any ideas on what else could happen?

• Ancheri
    edited January 2020

I'd say if the game was actually kinda balanced in every scenario (what killer on which map, offerings/items/addons used) the idea could work just fine (still providing killers with a little buff though). It's just the fact that the amount of overall scenarios favoring killers is currently higher and therefore they don't necessarily need that buff.

But instead of rewarding either killers or survivors with finishing a side objective, why not make it a competitive thing?

So if survivors manage to cleanse all totems, reward them with a key or something like that. If killers manage to defend the totems until the end, probably give them NOED. However, there is no real way for killers to interact with totems yet, i.e. repairing them (although McLean made a joke about that last stream, so there might be a small chance they like it).

I find the idea of a side objective, that keeps being pushed towards the survivors or killers favor, rather interesting. One should not forget though, that it is a 1v4 and therefore repairing a totem should be more of an annoying, but not really time-wasting thing for the killer.

Phew, didn't think I would get into that topic that easy, but I kinda like it. This is definetely not thought-through though, so keep that in mind.

• Xerge
    Xerge Member Posts: 928

I'd rather they make something similar to Fire Up basekit.

• brokedownpalace
    brokedownpalace Member Posts: 8,792

I think the increase in speed would be fine but no to the instadown.

• Ancheri

That's also pretty cool. Many people dislike NOED anyway so giving that for free once all totems are cleansed won't make people happy. However, Fire Up has a much less notable and yet kinda nice effect. I could imagine that as a reward method for side objectives.

• Waffleyumboy
    Waffleyumboy Member Posts: 7,318

I'm the opposite way tbh. Instadown is easily counterable but speed isn't.

• Ancheri

Well I'd say both hurts in the late game, but instadown is more threatening, since often all the good juking spots are gone and the only way to survive is hiding. Speed won't help much against sneaky survivors apart from checking different areas faster probably.

• musstang62
    musstang62 Member Posts: 517

I had been thinking the same thing, though I do agree that auto-NOED would be a bit strong. Seems like they could make totems a legitimate 2nd objective by just having the entity block the exit gate switches until all the totems are broken. That way, survivors have to do all the gens + break all the totems to escape - totems becoming the secondary objective. The order doesn't matter, you just need to break 5 totems and do 5 gens at some point. You would need to include a totem counter then but imo it seems like that would be pretty balanced

• Ancheri
    edited January 2020

That basically extends the game in the killer's favor only. Survivors must cleanse the totems to get out. However, making it profitable for one side only certainly affects overall kill/survival rates, meaning other things need to be balanced as a result.

I was thinking about a way to encourage people to do the side objective without forcing them. Give them an advantage, if they manage to complete the task or punish them for not doing so. If that feature is balanced by itself, it doesn't necessarily affect overall statistics.

• musstang62

True, I definitely agree the change would be much more favorable towards killers rather than survivors. I'm a bit biased on this as I'm of the mind that the gens go too fast, but I do see your point. I was kind of looking at a second objective on top of what's already needed to escape, in order to make the games last longer.

If it was going to be set up to keep the balance exactly as it is, then the idea I had would definitely not work for that. To your point - doing totems would then either provide a bonus or a penalty for not doing them. Seems like any penalty short of NOED would just be ignored.

As for a bonus, you could only really make gens go faster (i.e. do a totem, get an immediate 25% on a gen or something). Anything above that like adding an original mettle of man shield or increased movement speed would be broken. I don't know, it's hard to find a way to make the 2nd objective bonus/penalty feel worthwhile without making it overpowered

• Ancheri

I would in fact prefer an objective that can be pushed back and forth by killers and survivors. Currently there is no possibility for killers to interact with totems, but imagine an ability to repair them. It would really come down to the amount of time one side wants to or can spend on that second objective without focusing on generators/chases. I didn't think that idea completely through, but I feel like this could be the way to go, not forcing people to work on the side objective, but encouraging them.

• musstang62

Great point, that would definitely be ideal if it's something both sides have some measure of control over. I like to imagine the animation of a killer putting a broken totem back together looks like the dad from "a christmas story" gluing the leg lamp back together hahaha

• Ancheri

Lol imagine killers pulling out their lighter to turn their totem back into Hex 😂

• musstang62

Hahaha I am all for it. Collect lighter fluid and duct tape around the map to repair your totems

• Streanschwien
    Streanschwien Member Posts: 14

So like a reverse fire up where every totem cleansed is another 4% off?

• Avariku
    Avariku Member Posts: 608

may be a dumb idea, I don't know... but...

what if they shortened gen times by default, but for every totem still up it reduces genspeed by a certain percentage?

(percentages based off of CURRENT gen speeds)

5 totems - 70%

4 totems - 80%

3 totems - 90%

2 totems - 100%

1 totem - 110%

0 totems - 115%

the effect would be the same regardless of actual hex totems and it could solve the genspeed issue early game and give survivors the secondary (optional) objective??

• Ancheri

Works for me, although the numbers would need some tweaking I guess. However, with the existing Hex Perks and Small Games this seems pretty unrealistic atm. Introducing a second objective related to totems will be quite challenging in general regarding those perks. They will either have to change them or find another solution.

• Avariku
    Avariku Member Posts: 608

Yea, I kinda figured the numbers would need tweaking, but as a baseline for the idea I thought it would work.

not sure why you feel current hexes wouldn't synergize with this, or small game either.

care to elaborate?