How do you deal with “baby” survivors?

With the current matchmaking system in a bit of a tizzy, I’m encountering baby/low rank survivors more and more. I’m sure I’m not the only one.

So how do y’all deal with them?

Personally, I let them do gens, show them around the map, let em get their bearings a bit. I wouldn’t want some of my first experiences as survivor to have been being slaughtered without remorse by the killer before I can even grasp what’s happening.

Comments

• GhostofYharnam
    GhostofYharnam Member Posts: 597

I just play the game. Best way to learn is failure. Failure is the greatest teacher.

• SithLordLuxray
    SithLordLuxray Member Posts: 44

At the same time, some people learn in different ways. If I can show someone a thing or two that’ll help them later on, without souring their experience too much, I’m gonna try.

• Fibijean
    Fibijean Member Posts: 8,342

I like people like you 😊

• TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871

I have little way of differentiating a newbie from a potato at a higher rank. So I'm not going to try.

• SithLordLuxray

In this case, they missed skill checks, ran into objects, threw down pallets a few seconds before I even reached them, and didn’t quite grasp the concept of being on the hook. First one attempted then didn’t struggle. Feng panicked at any noise or missed check.

• SithLordLuxray

Aw shucks. Just tryin’ to spread some goodwill around the community.

• korean_zombie
    korean_zombie Member Posts: 442

Depends on if the team is popping gens. Its not fun to wreck babies so if there is no progress then I'll play nice, 3 gens get done its on. Really depends on if they have one person who is G2G.

• ModernFable
    ModernFable Member Posts: 836

It is not any player’s job to teach other players. That is the job of the developers. Through things such as a tutorial, or more subtle methods.

Just because Behavior royally screwed their game in terms of rankings, matchmaking, and so on.

Does not suddenly mean that the community is obligated to pick up their slack.

• ZoneDymo
    ZoneDymo Member Posts: 1,946

I make sure I only hook them twice, I play seriously up to that point, then I let them go.

• AvisDeene
    AvisDeene Member Posts: 2,396

I farm and troll around with them. Unless they use a bright hair cosmetic and tbag because they saw No0b3 do it, then they could die.

I don’t care if they’re new or old, if they unhook while I’m 1 foot from the hook I’ll make them regret it.

• ZoneDymo
    ZoneDymo Member Posts: 1,946

you arnt obligated, you arnt obligated to help an old person across the street either but its still the right thing to do.

If you like this game, im sure you want other people to play it as well so it does not die, this could be your part in preventing that from happening.... just saying.

• TAG
  • HellDescent
    HellDescent Member Posts: 4,883
  • ClickyClicky
    ClickyClicky Member Posts: 3,536

From what I’ve seen they normally tend to get camped and tunneled out about 2 minutes into the match.

Fun matchmaking.

• ModernFable
    ModernFable Member Posts: 836

@ZoneDymo

I’m fully aware. Perhaps I should of clarified I don’t stomp on the throats of new people.

I generally slow down in chases, let them do a 3 or 4 gens, slug to get them used to what to do in that situation. Never let them win though, that’s not gonna teach them anything by handing out participation trophies.

On the survivor side it’s pretty much the same thing. Lose a chase or two, don’t just blast through gens, and generally just extend the game.

And on your other point, I don’t know if I entirely do. The game is more so a cycle of stress and relief on the killer side. And on the survivor side, it’s dull and frustrating, so me and my friends just talk.

I’d never call DBD an unmissable experience, and considering the time sink and great games out there, I’d argue for the opposite. If DBD died, at the very least my friends would have to find another game drag me into.

• OmegaXII
    OmegaXII Member Posts: 2,191

Kill. No mercy.

You never know if they're red rank or purple rank. I've seen survivors that i thought are new players, and in tally screen they're red rank or purple rank

So no. I kill. Especially with current matchmaking and ranking system

• GhostofYharnam
    GhostofYharnam Member Posts: 597
    edited January 2020

Do what must be doneDo not hesitate. Show no mercy.

Post edited by GhostofYharnam on
  • DBD78
    DBD78 Member Posts: 3,455

I just assume all survivors are red ranks or just toxic so I play to win, just like they do.

• Koleżka
    Koleżka Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2020

I kill them

After a game:

Survivor's: You are gay

Me, The inteligent: No u

• NullEXE
    NullEXE Member Posts: 1,632

I sacrifice them. Going easy on them will give them a false sense of award, and they will become entitled as a result. Treat them as anyone else, and give them a "gg wp" in end game chat.

• humanbeing1704
    humanbeing1704 Member Posts: 8,970

Id say 90% of the time I let noob survivors live

• TunnelVision
    TunnelVision Member Posts: 1,375

Use them as bait to attract the big fish.

• TAG

Had a game where someone seemed extremely potatoey. Like, barely seemed like they knew what a pallet was or how to vault. I made the call that they must be brand new to the game and left them alone 'til almost the end.

After the game, I looked at their rank, expecting rank 20 or 19.

Rank 8.

Nope. You start potatoing, I will assume you are a potato. I won't be giving any benefit of the doubt.

• Helevetin_nopee
    Helevetin_nopee Member Posts: 408

Sometimes I let them go

• FabsRinas
    FabsRinas Member Posts: 169

I never encounter baby survivors like you did, and if I do, it's only one per game, even tho I'm the same rank as you.

All I find are red ranks (90% of the time I'm the lowest rank on the match) who are way better than me, so I'm learning the hard way...

• Orionbash
    Orionbash Member Posts: 765

I treat them like a red rank survivor. You don't learn how to get better when you're handed the game.

• AvisDeene
    AvisDeene Member Posts: 2,396

But what if they only play to twerk for their Daddy Killer? Would you at least save them for last or use them as a backpack for a bit?

• MrsGhostface
    MrsGhostface Member Posts: 987

Awe, some of my favorite games as killer was teaching babies to farm after rank reset. Some didn’t get the idea but it was so cute seeing a baby Dwight stare at me when I didn’t hit him :)

• thrawn3054
    thrawn3054 Member Posts: 5,897

If it's clear they aren't going to be much of a threat I'll be nice and try to give them as many points as I can. I still kill them. But I try to make sure they get to play the game.