Why don't solos have voice comms?

It makes no sense why this isn't enabled by default like in other games.

Comments

• rha
    rha Member Posts: 417
    edited January 2020

That's precisely why I don't want voice comms built in. There would be a lot of pressure to balance around comms then. If you don't want complete strangers screaming at you for minutes the stuff during the game that they'd otherwise write in endgame chat which you can simply close, or don't want to listen to terribly embarrassing role-playing attempts, you'd be at an even bigger disadvantage as a solo player than you are now.

Not to mention that here in Europe, there are many different languages spoken, and if I'd be paired with a 3SWF from - for example - Russia then the chance that they'd talk English just for me is probably as close to zero as it could be.

• Unicorn
    Unicorn Member Posts: 2,340

You can do this already if you decide to invite the people in your party to discord or party chat.

• Infinity_Bored
    Infinity_Bored Member Posts: 445

Drop me AWP in DBD?

No, thanks buddy.

• Mikeasaurus
    Mikeasaurus Member Posts: 2,327

I mean, if Killers received some kind of buff to counter it, then I'd be fine with it. But, there would still be mass arguments about what the buff should be, and how comms would still be OP. It's a lose-lose situation regarding comms overall imo.

• Kurrmiu
    Kurrmiu Member Posts: 23

I honestly can't imagine having ingame voice chat working with randoms..People blasting music, speaking random languages...yeah no. Post game chat is in full russian half the time already (EU).

• LlamaArmour
    LlamaArmour Member Posts: 75

Most likely because of language barriers, and toxicness.

Also, remember every time you've been abused in end game chat? Now imagine that during game. Sounds like a terrible idea now right?

Lastly, I would personally disable in game comms, but with the inevitable killer buffs, I would get destroyed every game. Remember that solo survivor is the weakest role in the game, followed by killer, and the strongest is SWF.

• NullEXE
    NullEXE Member Posts: 1,632

But at that point it's in the players lap, and not the developers. If you choose not to use the tools given to you, that's your problem not theirs. However right now, solo players have a terrible time because Killers have to play assuming they may be against a SWF each match, and utterly decimate solo teams. Then Solo's get mad because they don't get their free wins.

Then the only people enjoying the game is SWF's, and they don't care because they will just switch games with their friends anyways if things don't go their way.

• Waffleyumboy
    Waffleyumboy Member Posts: 7,318

Well of course there would be an easy way to mute it if you don't want to hear somebody's mic.

• arslaN
    arslaN Member Posts: 1,936

I'm all for more communication for solos but voice chat would be horrible imo.

• Unicorn
    Unicorn Member Posts: 2,340

I can stand by this. I don't see anything wrong with a chat wheel.

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 16,089

This might be working for the US, but certainly not for Europe. There are so many languages involved.

Like, I live in Germany, we have English in School, so every German should speak somewhat decent English. I work at international Events, therefore I have a lot of contact with people from all around Europe, and I know that not everybody can speak English to the same degree. And some simply refuse to speak it (looking at you, France).

Furthermore, as written above, why should a group of foreign Speakers include me in their conversation? If I am solo with a 3 man SWF from Italy, they will most likely not speak English, let alone use the ingame Voice Chat.

And knowing this community and in general communities of cheap games, I also dont want to get insulted by a 14yr old in his language, because I did something he did not like.

So while it should be the longtime goal to buff Solos to SWF-Level to balance the game around that, this will not be achieved with Ingame Voice Communication.

• Archimedes5000
    Archimedes5000 Member Posts: 1,620

Because comms with strangers are annoying.

But "voice commands" like in other multiplayer games would be fine imo.

• Waffleyumboy

I see that now, I live in US where everyone knows English so I had no idea of comms problems in Europe. A chat wheel would work much better.

• Archimedes5000
    edited January 2020

I never get why people speak some wierd languages in game chat. Are they braindead enough to not know that no one speaks their random language and they need to speak english?

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 16,089

Oh, dont worry, I know that. I was at an international Event in Japan a little bit over a year ago, and meet one of my US "Colleagues" (basically someone who is doing the same thing like me, but on the other side of the world), and one thing he was worried about were the Translations.

So I know that it is somewhat unfamiliar for US people to come in contact with other languages (maybe Spanish, depending where they live).

• arslaN
    arslaN Member Posts: 1,936

That sort of stuff would be great. People would use the voice chat to shout abuse at people for doing things they don't like and people speaking other languages would be pretty annoying. I would almost always hear russian or german and I don't know both of those languages.

• Iron_Mike
    Iron_Mike Member Posts: 23

Apart from sucking for killer, adding voice comms would really break immersion for new players imo and rob them of those precious few early scares we all had. Remember when you used to fear the killer and s**t yourself while in it's Terror Radius?

And above all, let's face it, it would open up the floodgates of toxicity. Part of the reason why I never got into F13. That and you couldn't just main Jason.

• HellDescent
    HellDescent Member Posts: 4,883

Not sure. If there were(as long as you could mute it), then they could balance killers better. No more swf-solo gap.

• xCarrie
    xCarrie Member Posts: 982

It would be a good buff to solos but i’d rather not hear “f**cking save me” “duuude I dead harded #########” music blasting, kids screaming etc. Yeah that’s basically every cod but the good thing about solo is no one talks and it’s calm. If I feel like talking and messing around i’ll play swf, I wouldn’t mind it of course as long as there’s a mute option for that one guy. I’d prefer more emotes though like stop, get down, heal me, and stuff like that. I think there was leaks or information about adding coms but I’m not sure.

Plus if this does happen killers are going to need some kind of buff as now solos are swf level.

• AvisDeene
    AvisDeene Member Posts: 2,396

Anyone who thinks killers would get appropriately buffed if coms were introduced is smoking some real good stuff and I want some.

• Waffleyumboy

I mean...they need something to compensate for some survivors getting a small buff.

• ThisGuuy83
    ThisGuuy83 Member Posts: 1,303

They need to implement some kind of system for the killer to deal with coms. Like, if your within 25m and there talking, there Aura is revealed. It's complete BS that they can talk to someone across the map, but the killer can't hear them or know there position.

• oxygen
    oxygen Member Posts: 3,313
    edited January 2020

As an EU player there would be some... challenges involved with that for sure. Not everyone can speak English (or any other majority language in the lobby for that matter) understandably or at all, some refuse to speak it and that's on top of more generalized issues like people being dickheads in chat.

If they were to do this a contextual button + some preset phrases would be better in my opinion. Press the button to report on your "status" like "I'm in a chase", "I'm on a gen" and so on. And have some presets for harder to detect scenarios like "I'm going for the save". Unlike voice chat it can be localized.

Of course people could still troll. They could spam it, intentionally give inaccurate information and so on, but the same goes for voice chat anyway.

• AvisDeene
    AvisDeene Member Posts: 2,396

They still won't be able to do anything with people who use discord. They just have to balance against comms from anywhere.

• pizzamess
    pizzamess Member Posts: 209

All of these people who are complaining about randos not being useful on comms anyways has never played a competitive game with comms like siege or CSGO, like yeah sometimes your gonna get shitheads that aren't very useful or will blast ######### but that's why muting specific players exists and at that point they would be exactly as useful as they are now with no voice chat. The language barrier could suck, but there is still no downside to properly implementing voice comms.

• ThisGuuy83
    ThisGuuy83 Member Posts: 1,303

Yeah, I dunno how to solve the issue for PC, but I don't think it's that big of a problem either. This would definitely work on console though. And before they start, I know people have phones, but who is honestly gonna take the time to call, let alone text there buddy what's going on? You'd be down and heading for a hook before you got halfway through your conversation.

• Karl_Childers
    Karl_Childers Member Posts: 669

Nailed it right here.

The argument of “you could just mute it”...isn’t valid at all. With killers being buffed around everyone communicating, if you mute it you are now at even more of a disadvantage than solo survivors are currently. Also with regards to the toxicity, if you have the others muted there’s a very good chance your “teammates” will be annoyed with you....you know how that will turn out. Plus people who play SWF currently would probably mute the in-game voice chat, and just use discord or whatever. Why would they want to talk to randoms? They’ll just carry on talking to their friends only like normal. Now the solo player who actually DID want to talk, has nobody to talk to because his SWF teammates have it on mute lol. It’s a terrible idea that would be disastrous. Luckily, they’ll never do it.

• Waffleyumboy

Wth bro? Getting muted won't make anyone angry enough to sandbag, and atm solos are always constantly muted. There is no downside to this being added at all, prove me wrong.

• Orionbash
    Orionbash Member Posts: 765

It could be location-based comms. But to ensure killers aren't harassed they cant literally hear whats being said but could hear voices kinda like the perk Whispers. Itd give survivors an edge, yes, but it'd also give killers an extra tracking tool.

• Archimedes5000

Then what about a set of "voice commands" like "save me" "do gens" etc.

It would let random people comunicate without all the ######### associated with comms

• Karl_Childers
    edited January 2020

Disagree. This game is very toxic...I could totally see people being annoyed that their teammate has voice chat turned off.

No downside? How about everything in my post.

• Solo survivor who chooses to play without voice chat now WORSE off because killers are buffed around everyone having communication. How is this not a downside?!
    • current SWF simply turning it off because they’d rather use Discord. This is very likely. So in these games where the solo’s teammates are SWF, who exactly is the solo survivor talking to? Not a downside?!

The point is that killers are being buffed. Do you not see how it could put many survivors in a worse spot? Trust me, many players would want nothing to do it. But by buffing killers, you are telling them use this or you are screwed. No thanks.

• Waffleyumboy

Killers are already in line for slight buffs in the future...

• Oicimau
    Oicimau Member Posts: 897

Imagine Argentina x Brazil. OMG the worse racist offenses come from spanish talking countries in South America against brazilians.

But, i think the language barriers and toxic talking arent enough to not make a voice comm in the game. Maybe, just have the option to turn it off and dont hear anyone...

My idea of Voice Comm is like in other games where you listen to other players as much as close they are. Like IRL. And the killer? He listens just a noise. So ppl talking will call attention. Someone listening music will be like a easy pray to locate.

Than you must talk only when needed, and only gonna be listened by close players.

And if someone is boring, just go away. LOL

• Karl_Childers

Yes, I’m on board with that type of thing. Just against voice chat.

• Joao_Bandicoot
    Joao_Bandicoot Member Posts: 286

Man, that would be really painful imagine making just one "mistake" (just doing something different than what others wanted) and be blasted with "Brasileiro de merd*!" "Macaco sujo" or something among those lines.

• LlamaArmour

Did you not read what I said?

I said I would personally mute it, but as killers would obviously be buffed accordingly, it would make the "solo survivor" even weaker than they already are. By solo survivor I mean people that play with no comms.

• LlamaArmour

I'm glad someone else can see the bigger picture when it comes to balancing!

You actually raised some points I hadn't even considered too, I.e. teammates being mad at you for muting, and SWF using DC instead.

I really hope this change never happens.

I do agree with others about the chat wheel though, I've been an advocate of this since I first found out about the in game gestures. It just never made sense to me that there was no way to tell my team what was happening.

I guess the main problem is, perks like kindred would be a lot less powerful if I could tell my team I'm going for the save (not a huge issue tbh).

• hocrux
    hocrux Member Posts: 212

Don't know what you're talking about on console you can invite those in your lobby in a party for comms, happens to me a couple of time, i'm playing solo and got a lobby invite with swf, was disgusted and left immediately, not sure why people take offense to that

• HawkAyeTheNoo
    HawkAyeTheNoo Member Posts: 731

Sorry but i dont want some squeaker shouting in my ear to save him. If voice comms were to come there would need to be an option to disable them.

• fleshbox
    fleshbox Member Posts: 494

Bring on their wanted AI bots already. This is getting silly now.

Nothing but further calls for nerfs since ruin went. Those who scream loudest and buy the most cosmetics get heard. While the dying souls on the ground who dont make sounds take months to fix.

• Dr_Loomis
    Dr_Loomis Member Posts: 3,703

I have a feeling it would be an absolute nightmare.