The New Chapter

Options

Am I... The only one not having any hype for the new chapter? I don't know why but it doesn't feel like anything special. I'll buy it, for sure, but I don't feel excited about it or anything. Though I've had my focus more on other discussions like TydeTime already presuming the killer is bad based on what the Developers said about Freddy and forgetting about the fact that not every player is competitive... Or that a Killers effectiveness is not determined by their power but the application of said power, the proficiency you play the killer with, etc.

It just doesn't feel like anything special. If anything I'm more excited for the cosmetics coming out.

Comments

• Vietfox
    Vietfox Member Posts: 3,823
    Options

I'm with you. It's been funny to see different posts about speculations of the new chapter while i was "meh, i don't give a #########, i'll know when it's released".

• JammyJewels
    JammyJewels Member Posts: 611
    Options

@Vietfox said:
    I'm with you. It's been funny to see different posts about speculations of the new chapter while i was "meh, i don't give a #########, i'll know when it's released".

Nice to see we're on the same boat. What would you blame your lack of excitement on? I'd blame mine on the oversaturation of it. The Chapter isn't out yet there's already people presuming what the killer is, the killer's effectiveness... Yada yada yada. I've only been around the for the release of two Killers (Pig, Clown) but not once have I been excited for them... Because I know what will happen. There will be a huge influx of players playing the new killer and survivor, there'll be complaints about the killer/killer's perks/survivor's perks being too strong/too weak and then we'll just swallow up the cosmetics after a while.

Oh. And don't forget. If there's a delay people like @not_Queen will most likely be targetted for questioning about it, despite the fact that her streams are for her own enjoyment and not to discuss work. Hopefully @Patricia is saved from this, considering she's a new face.

• Tsulan
    Tsulan Member Posts: 15,095
    Options
    Devs are not exactly feeding the hype with their secretive behavior.
    They should have done a proper reveal where they play the new killer and survivor on the new map. Showing the new power, perks, etc. 
    Just like blizzard does with heroes of the storm.
  • JammyJewels
    Options

@Tsulan said:
    They should have done a proper reveal where they play the new killer and survivor on the new map. Showing the new power, perks, etc. 

Hasn't that always been the case? Only for licensed killers did they really have to give it away. But for original killers we get things like a girl playing a guitar and a bottle smash, or a wailing and a katana. Plus we could have even more possibilities, given, if what I heard is true, that Dead By Daylight teamed up with Identity V, and they released a Geisha who wears an Oni mask (or something along those lines) when transformed.

• Tsulan
    Options

@Tsulan said:

Hasn't that always been the case? Only for licensed killers did they really have to give it away. But for original killers we get things like a girl playing a guitar and a bottle smash, or a wailing and a katana. Plus we could have even more possibilities, given, if what I heard is true, that Dead By Daylight teamed up with Identity V, and they released a Geisha who wears an Oni mask (or something along those lines) when transformed.

Their marketing team needs to take some examples from bigger companies.
    They wasted a lot of potential with their dev stream.
  • KiraElijah
    KiraElijah Member Posts: 1,187
    Options
    I hope it’s the Slit-Mouthed Woman
  • Vietfox
    edited August 2018
    Options

@JammyJewels said:

@Vietfox said:

Nice to see we're on the same boat. What would you blame your lack of excitement on?

I guess it's me being pragmatic and patient. Doesn't matter what i think or how much effort i put into it, i won't know till it comes out, so i rather focus on something else.
    Also what you said, the more hyped the people are the more i ignore it.

PS: Waiting for Mount & Blade 2: Bannerlord has taught me well as well xD

• AmorePrincess
    AmorePrincess Member Posts: 220
    Options
    I am super excited. I love when there is a surprise waiting to happen. The more I know, the less excited I get. I am on console, and I have already taken out a vaccation day from work tuesday to be able to watch my twitch streamers all day, and I am like counting down to it. 

(But I was the only one who loved the cliffhanger season ending with negan on the walking dead, so I guess it might just be something wrong with my head, haha)
  • Mr_Jay_Stark
    Mr_Jay_Stark Member Posts: 539
    Options
    For me I’d say I’m not hyped because the community always have such great ideas and concepts for the killer and the killer doesn’t necessarily come out that way. 

For example when the clown was first teased people thought it was going to be a ring master with a whip and I had thought how cool would it have been if the whip had destroyed pallets or pulled survivors within attacking distance but then we got the clown who wasn’t bad but I was expecting more!
  • Tsulan
    Options

@Vietfox said:

@JammyJewels said:

@Vietfox said:

Nice to see we're on the same boat. What would you blame your lack of excitement on?

I guess it's me being pragmatic and patient. Doesn't matter what i think or how much effort i put into it, i won't know till it comes out, so i rather focus on something else.

What happend to bannerlord?

• Vietfox
    Options

@Tsulan said:

@Vietfox said:

@JammyJewels said:

@Vietfox said:

Was announced in 2012 and hasn't been released yet.

• Tsulan
    Options

@Vietfox said:

@Tsulan said:

@Vietfox said:

@JammyJewels said:

@Vietfox said:

Was announced in 2012 and hasn't been released yet.

Ohh a classic Star Citizen.

• Utna
    Utna Member Posts: 186
    Options

@Tsulan said:

I could be mistaking, but are they not doing that on purpose ? Maybe they want us to go and see their new content in the PTB so they can gather as much people (good / bad / neewb / veterans) as they can, just to test the stuff and collect some data. I believe that if we MUST go on the PTB to see if the killer is a samurai or whatever, the tests might have some succes.

• Tsulan
    Options

@Utna said:

@Tsulan said:

I could be mistaking, but are they not doing that on purpose ? Maybe they want us to go and see their new content in the PTB so they can gather as much people (good / bad / neewb / veterans) as they can, just to test the stuff and collect some data. I believe that if we MUST go on the PTB to see if the killer is a samurai or whatever, the tests might have some succes.

We are not forced to go on the PTB. Most people will just watch a streamer do it. Watching someone who has no idea how the new killer is supposed to be played btw...
    Not really the best strategy.

• Utna
    Options

@Tsulan said:
    We are not forced to go on the PTB. Most people will just watch a streamer do it. Watching someone who has no idea how the new killer is supposed to be played btw...

Why would we be forced, seriously ? All I'm saying is there might be a lot of people on tuesday, wanting to play in the PTB, just to see what the new stuff is ... and directly experience it. Why would they not ? Are PTB so toxic that it might be better to watch a video of it than to actually playing it ?

• JammyJewels
    Options

@Tsulan said:

@Utna said:

@Tsulan said:

Again, just like how I'd be willing to work as a Moderator without any sort of reward, I'd happily go onto the PTB and play the Killer, or playtest new builds/games on Console for Behaviour without payment or reward. I'm someone who tends to pick up a concept pretty quickly (I'd blame that on my Autism) but I'd say I'm a reliable Killer tester. But I'm limited to my PS4 and my crappy Laptop that has a hard time running The Sims 2: Ultimate Collection most of the time.

I'm hoping that the streamers are competent enough to pick him up and use him correctly, along with the potentially new survivor perks and killer perks. Hell, have we had confirmation that it isn't a single character Chapter? Like the Leatherface chapter, for instance? And what would the exclusive cosmetic be for buying the Chapter? We were supposed to get one for Kate and we got the head piece for Dwight.

• Tsulan
    Options

@JammyJewels said:

@Tsulan said:

@Utna said:

@Tsulan said:

Again, just like how I'd be willing to work as a Moderator without any sort of reward, I'd happily go onto the PTB and play the Killer, or playtest new builds/games on Console for Behaviour without payment or reward. I'm someone who tends to pick up a concept pretty quickly (I'd blame that on my Autism) but I'd say I'm a reliable Killer tester. But I'm limited to my PS4 and my crappy Laptop that has a hard time running The Sims 2: Ultimate Collection most of the time.

I'm hoping that the streamers are competent enough to pick him up and use him correctly, along with the potentially new survivor perks and killer perks. Hell, have we had confirmation that it isn't a single character Chapter? Like the Leatherface chapter, for instance? And what would the exclusive cosmetic be for buying the Chapter? We were supposed to get one for Kate and we got the head piece for Dwight.

But it´s not the same as having someone who designed the killer/perks talk about how to use them.

Just think about the Pig release. She was released early on Xbox with no previous explanation on her perks and everything. People had to watch some streamers to get an actual idea of what the perks are and how she played. That was a total mess.

Or think about the Clown. People had the first look on the PTB. Which wasn´t really impressive. Also the reveal trailer came AFTER the PTB.

• Tsulan
    Options

@Utna said:

@Tsulan said:

Why would we be forced, seriously ? All I'm saying is there might be a lot of people on tuesday, wanting to play in the PTB, just to see what the new stuff is ... and directly experience it. Why would they not ? Are PTB so toxic that it might be better to watch a video of it than to actually playing it ?

That´s what i said. We are not forced to go on the PTB. Not everyone can go to the PTB. Be it because they play on console, or because they don´t have time to download the PTB.
    But yes, the PTB is usually toxic or at least very unhealthy. Because people use all their ultra rare add-ons and disconnect on the first down.

• JammyJewels
    Options

@Tsulan said:

@JammyJewels said:

@Tsulan said:

@Utna said:

@Tsulan said:

But it´s not the same as having someone who designed the killer/perks talk about how to use them.

Just think about the Pig release. She was released early on Xbox with no previous explanation on her perks and everything. People had to watch some streamers to get an actual idea of what the perks are and how she played. That was a total mess.

Or think about the Clown. People had the first look on the PTB. Which wasn´t really impressive. Also the reveal trailer came AFTER the PTB.

Wasn't there just a snippet, with Kate turning her head to the camera after the bottle smash? Currently there's a version which shows the Clown lurking in the darkness, an extension to the original "Oh no, this random woman turned to a bottle smash, then cut to black and logo". Though the PTB, as a whole, seems like a movie spoiler you don't really want, you know? Because after watching countless people play the killer without really understanding how they play/not showing people how to play them and explaining the playstyle of the killer you kind of get bored, because if you've not learned the versatility and the flexibility of the Killer's kit then you can be like "Oh, so what am I doing different to the streamers? This isn't really fun, I'm just doing what they did".

• MojoTheFabulous
    MojoTheFabulous Member Posts: 2,015
    Options

It's hard to be excited for something we know basically nothing about. So I too am more excited for the cosmetics.

• Tsulan
    Options

@JammyJewels said:

@Tsulan said:

@JammyJewels said:

@Tsulan said:

@Utna said:

@Tsulan said:

Wasn't there just a snippet, with Kate turning her head to the camera after the bottle smash? Currently there's a version which shows the Clown lurking in the darkness, an extension to the original "Oh no, this random woman turned to a bottle smash, then cut to black and logo". Though the PTB, as a whole, seems like a movie spoiler you don't really want, you know? Because after watching countless people play the killer without really understanding how they play/not showing people how to play them and explaining the playstyle of the killer you kind of get bored, because if you've not learned the versatility and the flexibility of the Killer's kit then you can be like "Oh, so what am I doing different to the streamers? This isn't really fun, I'm just doing what they did".

This is the reveal trailer of the clown. 5 weeks old.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fn_wsJ9Y3z8

• Utna
    Options

@Tsulan said:

@Utna said:

@Tsulan said:

That´s what i said. We are not forced to go on the PTB. Not everyone can go to the PTB. Be it because they play on console, or because they don´t have time to download the PTB.
    But yes, the PTB is usually toxic or at least very unhealthy. Because people use all their ultra rare add-ons and disconnect on the first down.

So you're telling me that PC people would rather watch a video of someone playing the new killer, spoiling all the surprise effect they might have, rather than actually playing the game AND having a thrill discovering the new stuff right in the middle of a chase ? Whatever man.

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675
    Options

@Utna said:

@Tsulan said:

@Utna said:

@Tsulan said:

So you're telling me that PC people would rather watch a video of someone playing the new killer, spoiling all the surprise effect they might have, rather than actually playing the game AND having a thrill discovering the new stuff right in the middle of a chase ? Whatever man.

It's not "PC people", it's just "people". Look at how big streaming has become.

• Tsulan
    Options

@Utna said:

@Tsulan said:

@Utna said:

@Tsulan said:

Depends on the abillity. Playing Nurse, Hag or Freddy for the first time without knowing what to do, can be REALLY frustrating.

• popoles
    popoles Member Posts: 831
    Options
    I don't like the idea of releasing the killer on PTB first. I know it's for balance purposes, but it kills the hype for console players. 1 week for PTB, 1 week for changing the values/balancing the killer. Then there might be some delay (1,2 days)... By the time console players get to play the new chapter, the hype is dead and rotting.
  • Orion
    Options

@popoles said:
    I don't like the idea of releasing the killer on PTB first. I know it's for balance purposes, but it kills the hype for console players. 1 week for PTB, 1 week for changing the values/balancing the killer. Then there might be some delay (1,2 days)... By the time console players get to play the new chapter, the hype is dead and rotting.

Blizzard does it with Heroes of the Storm, and it works great, even for people who are not immediately able to play with their new hero.

• NoOne
    NoOne Member Posts: 42
    Options

@popoles said:

Why not? I think it's a great idea. You are able to test the new stuff before it's released. So u also can decide either to buy it or not. I mostly just play 1-5 matches and switch back to the normal game.

• Someissues
    Someissues Member Posts: 1,604
    Options

@popoles said:

Why are you playing on Console then? Console games have horrible fps, most have max 30 fps, worst graphics, have to pay monthly just to play DBD

• βLAKE
    βLAKE Member Posts: 544
    Options

They should have done it like how they teased the doctor when they showed the short clip of Meg going into madness or when they teased Freddy's perks without saying it was Freddy.

• popoles
    popoles Member Posts: 831
    Options

@popoles said:

Why are you playing on Console then? Console games have horrible fps, most have max 30 fps, worst graphics, have to pay monthly just to play DBD

I also have DbD on PC. I just like the surprise when it's a full release.
  • C4Garuda
    C4Garuda Member Posts: 198
    Options
    "Im not hype for the new album of so and so artist but you know..ima buy it" um ok? :| 
  • JammyJewels
    Options

@C4Garuda said:
    "Im not hype for the new album of so and so artist but you know..ima buy it" um ok? :| 

You can judge me for that. But it's a thing of habit.

Besides. I won't be able to play anything now. My TV flung itself (and I'm not exaggerating, I turned to look at it and my entire chest of drawers tipped forward) so now my 50 inch TV is screwed up. Oh well. I can become a short term alcoholic to deal with the physical nausea I'm feeling from anxiety and stress.

No biggie. Right?

• Larcz
    Larcz Member Posts: 531
    Options
    I dont care what this will be rly.Game not change becose one killer more.Still we got old problems.And new look for survfrom dlc who use this same perks like every other or killer who got 3perks and 2 will be crapy and one medium usesful dont change nothing.Still if you dont have nothing to do with shards you buy this.
  • C4Garuda
    C4Garuda Member Posts: 198
    Options

@C4Garuda said:

Besides. I won't be able to play anything now. My TV flung itself (and I'm not exaggerating, I turned to look at it and my entire chest of drawers tipped forward) so now my 50 inch TV is screwed up. Oh well. I can become a short term alcoholic to deal with the physical nausea I'm feeling from anxiety and stress.

No biggie. Right?

No no lol dont do that. Id say smoke bud f alcohol, but to each their own. You can always play the mobile DBD til you get a new TV lol by that time new chapter will be out, and you can save up for the cosmetics coming along with it.
  • SpaceCoconut
    SpaceCoconut Member Posts: 1,962
    Options

I understand the feeling. There's nothing about what we know so far that is exciting. All we know for sure is that we might be getting a guy with a sword.

There's no hint to his power or the perks of the killer or survivor which are the main things that (I personally) people get excited about. Additionally, the devs made sure to mention that they don't make killers to be competitive at high ranks, they make them to be fun. This makes me skeptical about the new killer who might just be there for the perks at this point.

Fun is subjective and lots of people have fun competitively, but unfortunately, the devs don't seem to want to encourage that side of the playerbase.

• JammyJewels
    edited August 2018
    Options

@C4Garuda said:
    JammyJewels said:

@C4Garuda said:

No biggie. Right?

No no lol dont do that. Id say smoke bud f alcohol, but to each their own. You can always play the mobile DBD til you get a new TV lol by that time new chapter will be out, and you can save up for the cosmetics coming along with it.

Meh. I'd have to get an emulator or something for Identity V because the I.O.S update system is bugged on my phone and won't update to the latest version to download it. When I get the new TV I might turn up the gamma, maybe play with the same settings as a Noob3 vid, lol.

Though I doubt I'll be buying any cosmetics just yet. I'm currently trying to collect all Claudette cosmetics atm.

Post edited by JammyJewels on
  • BraveClem
    BraveClem Member Posts: 333
    Options

Samurai as killer it's not confirmed,it's more likely to be Kuchisake-Onna (Edo Period Version)
    Also the fact that the devs added A Model of a man with clothes,and a sword in the video doesn't mean it will be playable,the devs can change her story as people did in Carved (2007)
    Who is more famous in Japan? (And Other Countries)
    Kuchisake-Onna Or A Samurai with a Sword (Katana)?
    They want to Get More people to play Their Game,A Samurai Would be A Bad Choice,Imo

• Orion
    Options

@BraveClem said:

Samurai are known world-wide, and a lot more than any Japanese monster/ghost/spirit/whatever, simply because they actually existed. If this rhetorical question was meant to support your position, it does a poor job of it.

• Global
    Global Member Posts: 770
    edited August 2018
    Options

im not really hyped for the hole japan esc map i was hoping for a snow map :/ so dwight could blend in with his surrondings

• Orion
    Options

@Global said:
    im not really hyped for the hole japan esc map i was hoping for a snow map :/ so dwight could blend in with his surrondings

Japan has snow, I think.

• JammyJewels
    Options

@Global said:

Dwight blends in best in one certain place...

The lockers.

• Global
    Global Member Posts: 770
    Options

@Orion I think it does to but from the teasers itlooks more like a rainy dark map

• BraveClem
    BraveClem Member Posts: 333
    edited August 2018
    Options

@Orion said:

@BraveClem said:

Samurai are known world-wide, and a lot more than any Japanese monster/ghost/spirit/whatever, simply because they actually existed. If this rhetorical question was meant to support your position, it does a poor job of it.

They are hints and clues in the game maps and a cosemtic with the description,have you read her story?,have you seen paulie esther video where he made comparison? the fact that you want the killer to be a samurai doesn't mean that others don't want Kuchisake-Onna to be the new killer.Also this game needs horror and a samurai with sword is boring,basic,and no scary,imo

• Orion
    Options

@BraveClem said:

@Orion said:

@BraveClem said:

They are hints and clues in the game maps and a cosemtic with the description,have you read her story?,have you seen paulie esther video where he made comparison? the fact that you want the killer to be a samurai doesn't mean that others don't want Kuchisake-Onna to be the new killer.

Stay on subject. You asked which is more famous, Samurai or Kuchi whatever. I answered - it's the samurai, by far. I didn't say anything about what I wanted, I simply pointed out that Samurai are better known than almost anything else to have ever come out of Japan.

• Mr_Grumpy
    Mr_Grumpy Member Posts: 76
    Options

when i look at this community i can understand them that they don't build up hype... '-'
    no hype = no disappointment when it is not that good.

• Orion
    Options

@Mr_Grumpy said:
    when i look at this community i can understand them that they don't build up hype... '-'
    no hype = no disappointment when it is not that good.

Dude, after the first teaser, a ton of people were complaining about "too much hype". Maybe you're just extrapolating from a very small and non-representative sample?

• Swiftblade131
    Swiftblade131 Member Posts: 2,050
    edited August 2018
    Options

I lost a lot of faith with the whole Freddy fiasco. And I feel The Pig was pretty lackluster, but that is just me.

The release of The Clown was pretty good, balanced killer and all, but there are so few people playing Clown, I don't even have him. There is almost no incentive to purchase some of the other killers, when 3 far more superior killers are free. Plus you can get any DLC character perks from the shrine, I already have Pop Goes and Bamboozle, which was all I really wanted and even then tbh, I hardly use them...

I see the new killer maybe being a bit underwhelming (For various reasons). Unless he is on par with at least the Clown then I know I won't be buying him. If he has good perks, I will wait for the shrine, that is all.

They can make a "fun" killer or survivor all they want. But getting destroyed in a match isn't fun, even if the killer makes it "fun" for everyone. Since fun can be and is very subjective.

Hill Billy is fun while staying pretty viable, I know survivors like to face Hill Billy as well, nothing like a chainsaw wielding maniac rushing up on your squad to get you panicking. Same with Huntress or Nurse, all of which are viable and fun to play as and against.

Its almost like the more viable a killer, the more fun to play as and against. Maybe because its a challenge? But I digress...

Of course this is just what I believe.
    We will have to wait and see :+1:

• Esheon
    Esheon Member Posts: 568
    Options
    Utna said:

@Tsulan said:

It's not that the PTBs are toxic, but some folks either just can't do it or it's far less enjoyable. Console players obviously, but there's also PC players who have difficulties.

Me, for example. I play late night EDT hours (after midnight). Normally, I play for about 2 hours before I start to get mostly red ping and long lobbies. During a PTB, the playerbase is split. It doesnt matter whether I'm on the PTB or the Live version, long queues and higher pings are normal.

I usually download the PTB and get in a few games, then stop playing altogether until the PTB is done. The last PTB, I played one Hag game that took almost 30 minutes to get a full lobby, then went and played Stellaris until the PTB was over.
  • ceridwen309
    ceridwen309 Member Posts: 502
    Options

I honestly wouldn't mind seeing a "Hell girl" like killer....or perhaps someone like George Maxwell.

• Iceman
    Iceman Member Posts: 1,457
    Options
    I am down for whatever killer that devs have chosen. I am excited on the fact that the killer is jappanese inspired. Samaurai, Oni, or Kuchisake- Onna. Either way I believe that the devs have made it their own style just like the huntress being inspired by the bunny man.

Furthermore, the ptb comes out on Tuesday. What are you going to do when it is not the killer that you wanted? Are you going to get mad and call the devs stupid? It is great that you guys are expressing your creativity but also acknowledge others before shutting them down.  8-)