When is tunneling ok?

Options

I don't like tunneling as killer, but is there any time when doing so is ok? Like example, if there is a survivor that gets unhooked and you go to the hook but only find the unhooked survivor, is it ok to go after them too, or should you leave them? I usually would either hit and slug them or let them run away and leave the area, but I feel in some cases this disadvantages me in my late game. But then the problem is if I go after them am I toxic?

Comments

• C3Tooth
    C3Tooth Member Posts: 8,203
    Options

If I see other Survivors that not the unhooked. I will go for them. But many times Unhooked just try to run away from hook, while Unhooker just crouch hide. I have to chase the one running because I dont see others. For me, it is ok. Its other Survivors' choice to make 3v1 game.

• T2K
    T2K Member Posts: 635
    Options

I wouldnt put too much thought in it. It depends how you like to play. If you think its neccesary then go for it. For myself I only slug/camp/tunnel if a survivor uses the hook exploit or last second switches his character in the lobby. That gets me triggered. But ofc there are situations where I think tunnel/camp/slug a survivor would help me get back into the game. I really try to avoid it. If I find the unhooked by accident again I down him and search for another one. Playing like this often negates BT or DS. But I have a lot of bad matches playing that "fair". Usually I go into the game with the mindset to only get my 4 stacks bbq. So bad games dont affect me too much.

• AvisDeene
    AvisDeene Member Posts: 2,396
    Options

Would you consider it acceptable to moan when Daddy Michael throws me over his shoulder or when he vaults through a window while wearing the hospital gown?

• AvisDeene
    AvisDeene Member Posts: 2,396
    Options

No worries! I play mainly Survivor, and yes, it does suck when I get tunneled or camped, but I understand that I can’t dictate how someone else plays. I also understand that matches fly by way too fast these days and most Killers have no option other than to tunnel, slug and camp.

The Devs designed the game and they set the rules. They declared Tunneling and Camping as legitimate tactics. Don’t worry about the salt you’re going to get. Hoard it all and sprinkle it on some fries.

• Fibijean
    Fibijean Member Posts: 8,342
    Options

Tunneling is not toxic and it's always okay.

However, if you're trying to make sure everyone has a good time and you're asking when it's okay to tunnel under that premise, I would say tunneling is acceptable if there is no one else for you to chase, or if the alternative is letting them escape the match.

• silverwolf4455
    silverwolf4455 Member Posts: 496
    Options

Tunneling is always ok. If they dont want tunneled they have ds, dead hard and by. (Play swf).

• Reaper_xx
    Reaper_xx Member Posts: 173
    Options

I give survivors equal chances to heal but if they keep following me and go clicky clicky then they are asking for it

• Dahliasdollie
    Dahliasdollie Member Posts: 46
    Options

Not only that, but the emblem system prevents killers from tunneling and camping

• Archimedes5000
    Archimedes5000 Member Posts: 1,620
    Options

Pretty much never?

Maybe after a very unsafe unhook after downing the rescuer, if that still counts as tunneling

• mishappp
    mishappp Member Posts: 2
    Options

You play however you want. Your goal as the killer is to kill everyone. Not worry about the survivors well being. If you don't want to tunnel and think it's bm don't. If you want to tunnel and think it will help go ahead. Worst case scenario someone sends you a message calling you a noob. Who cares play how you want. The idea that tunneling is toxic are toxic players who have a preconceived notion that there gameplay experience should be greater then yours. Tunnel if you want.

• JawsIsTheNextKiller
    JawsIsTheNextKiller Member Posts: 3,354
    Options

Yes if a survivor has a key they want to be tunnelled. It is your duty to make sure they don't use that key.

Also, when the game is turning in the survivors favour you will probably need to play a little less "nice". If the survivors have done most of the gens and you can get someone out of the game, you should do it. It is very different from tunnelling someone at the start of the game.

• Infinity_Bored
    Infinity_Bored Member Posts: 445
    edited January 2020
    Options

Tunneling is always okay. It is in the game. Just like genrushing, camping, DS and NOED.

Sometimes tunneling is the smartest thing to do because some teams, esp. SWF rely on one very good surv while the others have a walk in the park. Tunnel their rock and they die like flies.

If they all come to tank hits for this one person, you know you're doing it right.

• JawsIsTheNextKiller
    Options

I have been mostly tunnelling Kate in her new cosmetics. But only because I've just bought it. That's MY Kate outfit.

• Elk
    Elk Member Posts: 2,267
    Options

I only do that with 1 or 2 gens left, especially when all gates are powered. There are other variables that make me do that too.

• GHOSTfaceP3
    GHOSTfaceP3 Member Posts: 1,363
    Options

When I get the chance to especially when there’s no ds in the trial

• Infinity_Bored
    Infinity_Bored Member Posts: 445
    Options
  • LordEmrich
    LordEmrich Member Posts: 258
    Options

You play any way you want to play. Don't let Survivors make you think you have to play a certain way. They're just trying to get any little advantage they can when bEhaviour has already done everything in their power to make it Survivor sided.

Also:

• evil_one_74
    evil_one_74 Member Posts: 312
    Options

I don't think there is a right, or wrong answer to that. I personally don't tunnel. I try to give all players an equal opportunity to play, and enjoy the match. I try to hook every survivor once as quick as possible. That gives them a chance to get points by unhooking, healing, ect. After that, they're fair game, and when I find them / I find them.

• Runcore
    Runcore Member Posts: 328
    edited January 2020
    Options

Camping, tunneling, slugging...etc. its all purely up to you if you use it. These tactics are totaly normal, if you like it, use it and dont ask survivors if you can or cannot use it. You are not playing killers for survivors fun but for your fun. If you like to camp, do it. If you like tunneling, dont hessitate. If you like slugging, no problem, go. Why you ask for survivors permition? Its invention of some entitled survivors that these tactics are "forbidden" and "dirty", they are not. Dont obey some imaginated and nonsense "rulebook" and play the way you like and dont ask them. Survivors have now enough power to easily escape and they dont need more benefits to have easier game. Play the way you like 😉

• OmegaXII
    OmegaXII Member Posts: 2,186
    Options

do what you want. they will accuse you for tunneling for everything you do

• Runcore
    Options

Exactly, when Im tunneling/camping = they verbaly abuse me and my family and its exactly same when I dont tunnel/camp. Its just their frustration that they didnt escape and they want to throw it on you. Dont ask them, play what you want. You are killer and killers dont ask if they can kill you this or this way 😉

• Dreaded_Wraith887
    Dreaded_Wraith887 Member Posts: 23
    Options
  • JnnsMu
    JnnsMu Member Posts: 249
    Options

When a survivor goes into a locker and forces me to eat their Decisive Strike I usually tunnel them since I know that they don't have it anymore.

• DocFabron
    DocFabron Member Posts: 2,410
    Options

Its ok in any circumstance. Sometimes you can't help it. If it helps guide you to victory, do it.

• Runcore
    Options

Problem is current state of game. After recent patches survivors are power role and killers have literaly no enough time to play according to survivors "rulebook". Gens can be repaired so fast that chase and hook every survivor 3x is literaly impossible. So if you like playing other tactics, dont hessitate, dont ask survivors for permittion and do it. Easy.

• Spirez
    Spirez Member Posts: 674
    Options

Tunneling is always ok. That’s because tunneling doesn’t even exist. If you think taking out the strongest survivor first is going to help you take out the rest easier, go ahead. Your job as a killer is to stop as many survivors from escaping. It doesn’t matter how you do it. Tunneling is a made up term. If you want to go for one person because they made you upset or you think they are a threat to your chance for success then do whatever you need to do in order to win. Even if you just don’t like Claudettes or Bills or etc. whatever the reason is do it if you want. After all it’s just a video game. Play by your rules not some made one rules with made up terms.

• JawsIsTheNextKiller
    Options

If anything is going to make me tunnel, its getting hit by an anti-tunnel perk when I wasn't tunnelling.

• JarMa13
    JarMa13 Member Posts: 40
    Options

Why did you return to the hook in the first place?

No it is never ok to tunnel.

This is a game. If you're so desperate to win that you ruin everyone else's time, what are you?

The only time it is okay to tunnel is when you encounter a survivor who tries to sacrifice a teammate or refuses to help a teammate.

Then the game is void and it is your job to punish them on behalf of all gamers.

This game has the potential to be PHENOMENAL. It is destroyed by selfish players.

If I am able to never hook anyone twice till everyone is hooked once, never hook the same twice in a row, and never kill or Mori till everyone is hooked twice AND STILL GET 4/4 99% of the time, what excuse is everyone spewing to justify their shady tactics?

Remember this is 5 people working together to have fun

Play to maximize fun.

No one cares if they win or lose if they have fun.

I get thank you messages from people I kill.

Seriously.

All the time.

Consider others.

You aren't going easy on them.

You're just dividing your attention in a way that allows others to enjoy the game while still focusing on killing all four.

It's really simple.

Don't be a dick.

I don't know why this bothers so many

• Runcore
    Options

Camp and tunnel literaly doesnst exist, just ways to achieve victory. Its nonsense that its game of 5 people that are working together to have fun. Why the hell should I make fun for survivors. Its competitive game and not circus and killers are not clowns to entertain survivors. Survivors are too using all they can to escape and not asking killer if this or this is ok for them. If you want multiplayer game with fun for all you are playing wrong game. Both sides are doing best to achieve victory. Its total nonsense what you said. Killers goal is achieve kill by any way and not hooking first all 4 survivors, then 2nd time all survivors and then finaly achieve some kill. its not working this way dude.

• TunnelVision
    TunnelVision Member Posts: 1,375
    Options

Tunneling is fine, i do it all the time.

Don't ever feel bad for it. It's your job...

• TunnelVision
    TunnelVision Member Posts: 1,375
    Options

Depends what kind of moan we're talking about, is it more of a moan or a big groan ;)

• JawsIsTheNextKiller
    Options

Why would I tunnel someone who refuses to help a teammate? They have just become MY teammate.

• Clevite
    Clevite Member Posts: 4,335
    Options

When you're a miner

• Clevite
    Clevite Member Posts: 4,335
    Options

Seriously you can play how you want. I despise tunneling and believe it to be pretty low skill tactic.

I don't mean you went back to patrolling and found same guy again. That happens. I mean those killers that float just around the hook and just tunnel unhooked guy right back down. Right through BT and even a DS. Still chasing him.

I don't do it myself. But the strongest members off my swf are survivors I have met playing killer. Mutual respect for each other's skill lead to friendship. Now I swf with some badasses that help me get better at survivor. That wouldn't have happened if I played like a noob.

• LapisInfernalis
    LapisInfernalis Member Posts: 4,127
    Options

I always do it in the endgame. I have nothing else to do then.

If someone gets unhooked and I don't find the other one, I will down him again but slug (no DS for me). If he's still slugged when I come back, that's not my problem (but the teammates') and he goes to the hook again.

But if I notice that someone is really unlucky (got found first, not saved until 2nd stage and then found again) I will ignore him once. It is really no fun to get nothing done because you were unlucky. So he gets one more chance to do stuff, but next time he dies.

• TheDiz
    TheDiz Member Posts: 243
    Options

If gens pop super fast and you get to a survivor just getting unhooked and it's down to the last gen and you decide to go for them because they are the only survivor you see so you down and hook them. You will still be called a tunneling camper noob and whatever bad word they can think of so it doesn't matter, lol.

• Nickeleye
    Nickeleye Member Posts: 278
    Options

When your playing killer it's ok tunnel. When your playing survivor it's not ok to tunnel. I think that's how it works.

• EvilJoshy
    EvilJoshy Member Posts: 5,295
    edited January 2020
    Options

I tunnel when I have too. Not because I feel it's cheesy or because I want the survivors to have fun($#%^ them) but I do whatever helps my game. There are times when tunneling will help you and there are instances where it's better to go after someone else.

Some examples:

If I'm out in the open and if i see an injured and a healthy survivor, I'm going for the injured one hands down. Quicker chase.

Now if someone unhooks right in front of me, I will go for the healthy survivor because I assume the injured is running BT and DS. That will take me longer to rehook them than to go after the healthy one. If I left the healthy one they would probably go back to a gen while I'm chasing the injured. The injured survivor will most likely waste time healing themselves instead of repairing a gen.

If I'm chasing someone and I injure them. We happen to run by another healthy survivor working on a gen I might break off and go after them. Another injured person and 1 less person working on a gen.

When I play my nurse I almost always run MYC. If someone makes a hook save I will tunnel the rescuer because they are exposed. No risk of DS and it's another person that's off the gens.

If someone makes an unhook while I'm far away and I run back to the hook. If I don't see the person who made the save but I see a blood trail i will go after the injured because I don't see anyone else. What am I going to do? Not going after anyone?

As a survivor it sucks when you get tunneled I admit. Being a killer main there are times when I say I would do the same thing in the killers position but there are times when the killer is hurting their game to finish me off.

Post edited by EvilJoshy on
  • iBetClaudette
    iBetClaudette Member Posts: 299
    Options

Tunnel at your heart's delight because I gen rush at my heart's delight. Whatever it takes