DBD Will Die If The Devs Don’t Favor Survivors

Options

Dead By Daylight is a 4V1 game. You need to have a much greater survivor population than killer population. By that, the survivor population needs to find the game to be as relaxing (not to stressful) and casual as possible to some degree so the likelihood of the player to come back is increased. This way the devs can maintain this 4/1 ratio. Too keep a higher survivor population you must try to keep the interest of survivors in mind more or so than killers without completely ruining the killer gameplay or interest. The devs are constantly trying to make not just a balance in gameplay, but a balance in population. As we’ve seen with matchmaking in the past, an imbalance of population can lead to very long que times and typically much more stress on players. If the devs are able to keep survivors interested enough and maintain that number than they can keep matchmaking shorter. With the subtraction of ranking actually being a variable in matchmaking, it will help drop matchmaking restrictions and further more will likely give killers more balanced gameplay. This would help balance the gameplay of the killer because not every survivors will be a loop God to say. That will help killers keep pressure on maps that they may typically be lacking pressure in. For example, This makes sure that not every actual rank 1 worthy team is destroying a rank 1 leatherface on temple of purgation due to the natural imbalances. Also the devs are working on balancing each and every map as they can, as well as killers, to better fit the new model standard the devs are transitioning the game into. Have patients. I’m trying too have patients too during this transition, but I’m also not playing the game much at the moment.

whats your thoughts? (Please leave the heavily 1 sided opinions at home)

-cheers

Comments

• Heroiq
    Heroiq Member Posts: 1,134
    Options

i think he's talking about the middle eastern/indian server.

it takes 30mins to find a survivor match and 10 minutes to find a killer match there. and you'll be matched with the same exact players.

probably the worst region/server. and i bought a vpn (1-year subscription plan) just to get out of it

• Kalec84
    Kalec84 Member Posts: 495
    Options

What he is saying is right, accept it or not, survivors have the priority, but devs really need to focus on killers fun, we all keep hearing about perks and stuff that ar fun/not fun, boring/not boring, stressfull/not stressfull, all for survivors and nothing for killers, and when fixed, if is a "nerf" to survivors it is usualli balanced in sone way, if is to killer, is usually a direct cut and killer need to adapt... thats my impression...

• Heroiq
    Heroiq Member Posts: 1,134
    Options

i traded it from a friend for a discord nitro subscription. so. 10$ i guess.

• Primalux135
    Primalux135 Member Posts: 1,045
    Options
  • Primalux135
    Primalux135 Member Posts: 1,045
    Options

Indeed becuz you play vs green rank killers or yellow lol

• Adeloo
    Adeloo Member Posts: 1,448
    Options

Well it's important to keep both survivors and killers.

But making it a relax (so not horror-survival) game for survivors, is actually what could kill the game, as there is no more challenge, there is nothing that keep you playing it.

Survivors already find doing generators to be boring, but making the rest too easy, therefore boring, is the biggest risk.

• heartstone_malone
    heartstone_malone Member Posts: 65
    Options

I don't agree because before this one ruin nerf, most of the balance changes were nerfs against survivors. Exhaustion nerf, DS nerfed, undetected status (nerfing OoO, spine chill alert etc.), shortened loops, window vault speeds nerfed, pallet vacuums gone and the end game collapse literally gives us kills.

It's kind of sad because the devs nerf ONE training wheel perk and everything else they've done to improve killer experience goes out the window. It's only logical that they'd have to nerf something for killers after all these survivor nerfs.

• Nameless
    Nameless Member Posts: 866
    Options

The game will die if the devs favor either side.

• Shirtless_Myers
    Shirtless_Myers Member Posts: 361
    Options

I think you should rethink that, I've gotten nothing but red rank killers all day.

• Carpemortum
    Carpemortum Member Posts: 4,506
    Options

Yes there needs to be more survivor than killer.

The ratio should be 4:1.

But how things are now, its more like 15:1.

Which is why killers find games instantly and survivors have to wait.

• terumisan
    terumisan Member Posts: 1,293
    Options

Spine chill and premonition buffed against stealth killers since undetectable doesn't work against it ds was actually buffed since it got 2 extra seconds enduring doesn't work against it and dribbling is no longer a thing either

Some loops like long walls still exist and are in favor of survivors

Pallet vacuums aren't gone you can still get pulled back to the pallet and hit the killer

Egc was made to stop hatch standoffs

• Waffleyumboy
    Waffleyumboy Member Posts: 7,318
    Options

I totally agree with this logic. This means the devs are killer biased because instead of focusing on survivors 80% it's closer to 50/50. People also forget that it's almost impossible to have a shortage of killers due there needing to be less than 20% of the playerbase playing killer. There's no way less than 20% of players are playing killer, queue times are caused by swf matchmaking, survivors' easy emblems/pips, and miscellaneous matchmaking errors(misidentified ranks could be a factor?)

• Waffleyumboy
    Options

Smh I can't believe people actually believe this. Read my comment above. I think the current ratio is maybe slightly worse than usual, 5:2 at its worst points.

• TooKoolFoU
    TooKoolFoU Member Posts: 378
    Options

No one said that the devs didnt care about killers nor did I. The point to be taken is that you have to realize there is going to be more favor for survivors over killers for the survival of the game. If the killers were in positions that survivors are in right now and vise versa for survivors than this game would die in matter of moments. Yes, it dumb asf but it’s the truth behind why the devs do what they do.

• Shirtless_Myers
    Options

This is fear mongering and completely inaccurate unless you're playing on a nearly empty region. Also, no role should be easy or relaxing, this is a PvP game and should be balanced, not one sided.

• TooKoolFoU
    Options

I’m not sure about the last part you said, but I’m thankful opened minded to the truth of how things are^

• Waffleyumboy
    Options

Do you think the last things I mentioned don't affect queue times? If survivors are all bunched up at red/purple ranks then queues will suffer unless killers are also bunched up at red/purple ranks. Killer queue time being fast is probably due to the killers' ranks being misidentified as corresponding to the ranks where survivors are all bunched up. My point is that yes there is a lack of killers contributing to queue times but no there is no lack of killers overall. There are just too many survivors at the same rank while killers are relatively evenly spread out.

• TooKoolFoU
    Options

Well that’s why the devs are removing rank from even applying to the matchmaking requirements. So rank will literally mean nothing anymore accept as a personal goal for players. So soon, matchmaking will not be affected by rank. Currently tho, rank does affect it but not greatly... other the point you made with most survivors being bunched up at the same rank which is causing odd cue times.

• Endstille
    Endstille Member Posts: 2,246
    Options

Most people do not like solo que cause the game got to easy as survivor and they get teamed with idiots who do not belong there. Number one reason why people die, dumb teammates. But yes make it so to even dumber people can be in red ranks.

Furthermore the game gets dull and boring without any challenge for survivor which they will realize when it is too late.

• Waffleyumboy
    Options

If they keep dying how is the game not challenging? Keep from contradicting yourself next time.

• Endstille
    Endstille Member Posts: 2,246
    Options

Such contradiction.

How is that too hard for you to figure out? When you get people in the highest rank possible that play like they do belong in yellow ranks, obviously this is bad for the rest of the team. They expect people of similar skill which they do not get.

Sooner or later people play SWF, when they are good at the game, they get bored because it is too easy.

• ZoneDymo
    ZoneDymo Member Posts: 1,946
    Options

That has more to do with the devs just giving proper rank matching the finger, how many rank 9 killers get paired up with rank 2 survivors is nuts.

• heartstone_malone
    edited February 2020
    Options

DS buffed? On what planet? The fact that there's a timer at all is a huge nerf. Its called slugging. It works. Even if they stun you, how hard is it to down most survivors again?

Object of obsession still shows the survivor aura when in undetected. That's straight up broken. If auras are blocked they should be blocked for both parties. Not free wall hack for killers with NO DOWNSIDE.

Yes, EGC was implemented to prevent hatch standoffs so now you get auto sacrificed... like I said, free kills.

• ColgateAdvancedWhite
    ColgateAdvancedWhite Member Posts: 616
    edited February 2020
    Options

The game is already survivor sided. 75% kill rate is low enough. There is no need to make the game even easier for survivors.

This game is called dead by daylight for a reason - survivors are supposed to die.

• Mister_xD
    Mister_xD Member Posts: 7,669
    Options

you need both sides to play the game.

ignoring one to favor the others just because there is more of them is what they did long ago, which ended up almost killing the game.

if there isnt a healthy balance of 4 to 1, the game has a problem. we are currently experiencing such a problem, so the side that has too many players waits a lot longer in their lobby queue than the side that doesnt have enough players.

favoring one side over the other can easily kill the game.

no killers = no lobbies. it doesnt matter that you have 1 million survivors, they will still be unable to play (and the other way round ofc) and the game dies.

• MegaWaffle
    MegaWaffle Member Posts: 4,172
    edited February 2020
    Options

Edit: My original response was admittedly a little harsh so I have toned it down. Hopefully what is written here better expresses my intent at a conversation rather than coming off as a "flame war".

To address your view point on needing more survivor player than killer players, thus balancing the game to be less stressful for survivor you need to remember that most people do not simply play one role.

Many players may prefer playing one side over the other but ultimately play both sides. If you favor one side and focus on trying to increase the amount of people who play it you risk not only losing those who prefer the neglected side but also push people away from wanting to try/play that side.

While I agree BHVR may need to offer incentives to play one side vs another to keep population in check it is not a smart idea to offer favoritism (and so blatantly at that) to one group as it leave a very poor impression on the other. I for example play both sides (or should say "played as I do not play DBD much/if at all anymore) but prefer killer. With the direction I have seen this game going recently and that horribly written "developer letter" that came with the last big perk/killer change I was pushed away from wanting to come back. I personally do not find it enjoyable to only play one side and yet the one I prefer is slowly having its "fun" aspect replaced with stressful limitations. Now instead of losing a killer/survivor player they have lose someone who filled both roles.

• andyollolloll
    andyollolloll Member Posts: 940
    Options

That is why the game is dying right now because that isn't correct.

Survivors each make 12.5% of the game but without the killer the wait times are well...

The new match making suggested will only introduce a slower lobby wait time for killers and virtually do nothing for survivors wait times.

I hate being right as I watch this game burn

• Shirtless_Myers
    Options

This isn't completely true, while it does happen at times you're still likely to get a killer within red ranks playing.

• joeyprtr
    joeyprtr Member Posts: 42
    Options

I think the comment was based on simple math. However using basic math they can keep the game going without any killers. Because it's easier to create one a.i. killer based on real players than it is to create 4 to replace the survivors. There u learned elementary math, my work is done here. Please no applause.

• thehotdogman93
    thehotdogman93 Member Posts: 81
    Options

Its a real shame that BHVR doesn't release server data when it comes to this stuff.

• terumisan
    terumisan Member Posts: 1,293
    Options

Slugging ain't really counterplay considering unbreakable and no mither exist no to mention how easy it is to pick them up? And the buffs I mentioned is the counterplay being removed

I mean it only works with certain killers and bop not to mention survivors can do the same thing with distortion and sole survivor

Or if the survivor is actually good at stealth and escapes egc isn't a free kill

• DetailedDetriment
    DetailedDetriment Member Posts: 2,632
    Options

Uhm. Survivor queues totally not between 3 and 10 because of killers giving up.

• EvilJoshy
    EvilJoshy Member Posts: 5,295
    Options

I agree with you to some extent. There needs to be more people playing survivor because it's 4 v 1. However what we have here is hardly anyone wanting to play killer anymore. This game is like a pendulum. It needs to swing back violently. Until then enjoy your 10 mins que times as survivor.

• iBetClaudette
    iBetClaudette Member Posts: 299
    Options

My wait time as a red survivor is only a couple of minutes. I'm cool with that.

• hex_genrush
    hex_genrush Member Posts: 736
    Options

L.

• heartstone_malone
    Options

Ok distortion with sole survivor is WAAAY different than object being straight up broken. You get FREE wall hacks THE WHOLE GAME. Not to mention, your distortion/sole surv would take up 3 perk slots just for distortion to work 3 times. If you are really trying to justify that as fair you're the reason that some killer mains don't get taken seriously. Just too biased to make any judgement calls.

You know unbreakable is once per match and thats two perk slots wasted on a one time use perk if they need it for d-strike (worst case scenario) you can slug as much as you want. As for no mither... I mean you know they have it plus they're at one shot the whole game