Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

New player here. I need help with complaints I do not understand?

I am new to this game. About a week in. I am having a lot of fun thus far. I come from a gaming background of shooters, fighters and in the last few years, games like paragon and league of legends. So I have some questions about what I see on discussions and youtube.

The first is why people are complaining about killers camping or survivors using pallet loops and such. As I would compare this to someone being upset that a league of legends player is using a powerful build on a character and someone is saying it is ridiculous and they should use something sub optimal because that will hurt people's feelings less?

This seems foreign to me as every strategy that gives an extreme strength also gives an extreme weakness. Thus if someone camps, it seems easy to have everyone else complete generators to either lure him away or just win or in the case of a player that pallet loops just stop chasing them and look for someone else.

My personal examples that I can contribute to this so far:
1. A Michael Myers player hooked one of my friends and was just standing in front of him. We already had one generator down before this happened. So we got 3 more around the time our fellow survivor was just beginning the struggle (even two would have been fine). So at that point, you won because he is just gonna sit there while you get the last one and then exit, or he leaves to stop the three other survivors and you get said person off the hook and probably still win. It was a simple problem as long as we gave the killer those two choices. Hell, my one friend was laughing at him and said to leave him as he struggles us to victory.

1. As the trapper, my favorite little gimp masked crusader, I ran into my first "runner". This person knew where all the pallets were and was doing all these loops around stuff that I couldn't catch her. It was actually deeply impressive. So after that happened once and I identified my first ever runner, I would find her, begin the chase, wait till she was running, then veer off and just look for someone else. This very quickly and easily turned into two other players that were trying to get generators. They didn't make it. The only person that did after that was the runner who was fortunate enough to find the escape hatch.

So these complaints on both sides were pretty strange to me as you may imagine and then I hit this one: the looked down upon art of "tunneling". So it is frowned upon to chase down the same target repeatedly in a game where the object of the killer is to kill. You should actually choose stronger targets and let the weak one get away according to some people. So if anyone can explain this to me I would be super grateful as to how it is a stronger strategy to not "tunnel"

My last and final question about any of this, and as this is text, please do not take this as an attack on anyone, I mean nothing sinister, but really, why should I care? And legitimately, looking at killer as the example for this, lets say I followed the criteria for what some people say. So I should do the following as the killer:
1. As soon as I get someone on a hook, leave them alone, even if being somewhat close by. This way the other survivors will most certainly get them off the hook. (what is the killers advantage to this, especially if the group is behind on their generators)
2. If someone gets off a hook, do not repeatedly target the person that just got off repeatedly. Go for the other healthier players, even if one or more of them have shown to be great runners that have proven to outrun you in said game thus far.

I just don't see what the incentive is. It seems like all people are saying is people shouldn't so this because they don't like it. In games of competitive nature, one is not responsible for another person's fun or happiness. The objective is to win and have fun yourself. These tools help killers and survivors do that. As long as you are not cursing people off or being offensive, I find it difficult to see any issue using mechanics and strategies in the game.

Once again, don't view this from a negative or angry point of view. I am simply trying to gain a deeper knowledge of the game itself and have never encountered such things.

Comments

• JaPonii
    JaPonii Member Posts: 91

Daaaaam look at that WALL OF TEXT
    Ain't nobody got time for that TL;DR
    you must be craaaAzy!

• Spiritbx
    Spiritbx Member Posts: 264
    On the runner part. That doesnt work in later games. Imagine if every survivor was a runner that could loop you for extremely long periods of time.  

Also, people usually dont complain that survivors looped, they tend to complain that it should even be a thing. O/c they are going to use it if they have it, but it shouldnt be there in the first place.
  • Mister_xD
    Mister_xD Member Posts: 7,669
    edited August 2018

here is an iron rule of DbD:
    when survivors lose, its never their own fault. its always the killer playing dirty (as a killer its really, really hard to play in a way, where they wont find anything to complain about). They dont want to learn and improve, they just want the devs to make the win without having to put any effort into it.

also, since you mentioned the "runners" (i'll stick with loopers, since thats the more common name for people like this) your startegie of just going for someone else is only working in the lower ranks. As you get to the red ranks, you will experience, that there will not only be 1 looper, but at least 3 or 4 of them in a single game, which makes it impossible to simply switch to someone else, since they will do the exact same thing as the first one. This is more of a highrank problem tbh, but it is a problem that needs some fixing.

Have a wonderful day :)
    Your Killermain

• Baphomett
    Baphomett Member Posts: 394
    Tunnelling, camping and looping are all common complaints and there is no convincing the people complaining that there is any validity to those strategies.  As a survivor, I dont get mad at the killer for tunnelling - that's just optimal strategy.  If two adversaries can do equal damage to you, you target the weaker on first.

What I do get upset about is other survivirs feeding me to the killer to be tunneled.  If the killer isn't busy and you unhook someone, at least take a hit for them to give them a chance to run.  It's common courtesy, people.
  • Esheon
    Esheon Member Posts: 568
    You're definitely coming at this from the right direction. As @Spiritbx stated though, in higher ranks most of the players are good runners. Sometimes you will have to just commit to the chase.

You and your friends have exactly the right response to camping. Punish the killer by making sure he only gets one kill.

As for the "why should I care?" question, you shouldn't. Ignore the other side's version of the rules, and play the way that is most rewarding to you. Me, I like to punish farming and selling other people out by going after the offender. Others might just take the free hit/hook. Play how you like.

I will give one benefit to allowing unhooks, though. If you're good enough; if you get more chases, more hits, and more hooks, you get more points. Sometimes camping is the right move, sometimes patrolling, and sometimes just moving on to the next target.
  • ceridwen309
    ceridwen309 Member Posts: 502
    edited August 2018

I'm glad you are enjoying the game. It can be very fun and fulfilling at times.

I'm of the opinion, that this is indeed a game....and can be played however you want within the confines of the rules. Camping, "Looping", Running from the killer, Solo Survivor play, Survivor Team Play.....all is fine.

I have one friend who only counts it a win in survivor if "everybody" makes it out.

And then another....who counts it a victory if they can get survivors to rage quit and still get one sacrifice.

This is an online game however, and this means that player emotion and mental facilities will be included. Some survivors will just "Troll save" you for whatever reason. Some killers will act friendly and then murder you all.

As long as rules are not being broken...you can play however you want.

It is like those games where you can play an evil character or a good character....everyone will hate you as an evil character and probably go out of their way to mess you up....but that doesn't mean I can tell you that "you" can't play that way. (Free will is a thing...and no actual rules broke.)

Just have fun, don't break rules, and try to make some friends. :3

• feffrey
    feffrey Member Posts: 886
    oh wow another Face camping tunneling killer is born
  • Baphomett
    Esheon said:
    You're definitely coming at this from the right direction. As @Spiritbx stated though, in higher ranks most of the players are good runners. Sometimes you will have to just commit to the chase.

You and your friends have exactly the right response to camping. Punish the killer by making sure he only gets one kill.

As for the "why should I care?" question, you shouldn't. Ignore the other side's version of the rules, and play the way that is most rewarding to you. Me, I like to punish farming and selling other people out by going after the offender. Others might just take the free hit/hook. Play how you like.

I will give one benefit to allowing unhooks, though. If you're good enough; if you get more chases, more hits, and more hooks, you get more points. Sometimes camping is the right move, sometimes patrolling, and sometimes just moving on to the next target.
    This^.
    I would add that camping the first hook, or hard camping at any point prior to the exit gates being open, is more or less guaranteed to result in a lousy score for you and a lot of survivor salt.  Patrolling nearby gens and staying near-ish the hook without camping it, on the other hand, almost always results in a lot more points, a lot more chases and, IMO, a lot more fun.  
  • Baphomett
    feffrey said:
    I hope not, but let's face - it takes a certain personality to find facecamping (or hard camping or whatever you want to call it) fun, and those personality types won't be disuaded by anything.  Hopefully, the OP will enjoy actually playing DBD instead of a crotch-watching simulator.
  • Rattman
    Rattman Member Posts: 1,088

You can play any way you want and pull some dirty #########, like insidious Leatherface camping in freakin basement, its your choice. Game allows you do that, its not bannable in any way.
    Or you can play... fair. You can outsmart your opponents, consistently trick them, making this whole game more thrilling and interesting. Because everyone can camp the ######### out of survivor. Not everyone capable to show real skill.

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675

Play however you want as long as you're not exploiting or hacking, and don't let anyone try to shame or manipulate you into playing how they want. Survivors will always complain unless you purposefully play in the most inefficient way possible.

• lasombra1979
    lasombra1979 Member Posts: 1,142

@Orion said:
    Play however you want as long as you're not exploiting or hacking, and don't let anyone try to shame or manipulate you into playing how they want. Survivors will always complain unless you purposefully play in the most inefficient way possible.

This right here. You play how you want, enjoy the game, as long as you do not break the rules of the company who makes the game.

I play with the following logic: I, as a killer, am not responsible for your fun as a survivor. I, as a survivor, am not responsible for your fun as a killer.

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675

@lasombra1979 said:

@Orion said:

This right here. You play how you want, enjoy the game, as long as you do not break the rules of the company who makes the game.

I play with the following logic: I, as a killer, am not responsible for your fun as a survivor. I, as a survivor, am not responsible for your fun as a killer.

Indeed. This is a PvP game, after all.

• lasombra1979
    lasombra1979 Member Posts: 1,142

@Orion said:

That sadly seems to be a concept forgotten. I never understood comments of "I wont play this way because it is not fun for "insert opposing side" " when playing a PVP game. Sorry, as a killer, my objective is to hook and sacrifice people. As long as the means are allowed and legal by the game mechanics, you damn sure I will camp, tunnel and everything else to kill you. That is the point.

• Baphomett

@Orion said:

That sadly seems to be a concept forgotten. I never understood comments of "I wont play this way because it is not fun for "insert opposing side" " when playing a PVP game. Sorry, as a killer, my objective is to hook and sacrifice people. As long as the means are allowed and legal by the game mechanics, you damn sure I will camp, tunnel and everything else to kill you. That is the point.

No disagreement here.  I only get upset when the opposing side is playing intentionally suboptimal in order grief someone.  For example - hard camping the first hook with 5 gens up because the guy had a flashlight, or worse, slugging the obsession and standing over the body for the full bleed out timer while all the gens get done and everyone else escapes, just because they had DS equipped.

The fact is, though, I rarely see that, despite the impession one might get from the forum posts.
  • NeoVid
    NeoVid Member Posts: 37

@necromeat said:
    My last and final question about any of this, and as this is text, please do not take this as an attack on anyone, I mean nothing sinister, but really, why should I care?

You shouldn't. If someone actually follows all the rules survivors have for killers, they just get teabagged and insulted for failing.

• necromeat
    necromeat Member Posts: 24
    feffrey said:
    So this statement stood out to me. And as I play survivor with my friends, i am primarily a killer player. So yes, I have since the original post, done some face camping. I have also done some sweet sweet tunneling. Its been good. Honestly though, I really have found camping to be largely ineffective against better survivor teams. You camp and the other survivors grab 3 generators. I have also seen so beautiful plays done to protect an unhooked player. Perhaps the people you are playing with need to focus on objectives and teamwork more? Do you find a lot of people don’t spend their time wisely when another survivor is being  camped?
  • KaNGoL
    KaNGoL Member Posts: 20
    The only downside, is on console you get reported by salty losers, which can prevent you from playing other games.

I agree with everything said, however. You are SUPPOSED to play for fun, but the salty players make it hard to enjoy.
  • necromeat
    necromeat Member Posts: 24
    KaNGoL said:
    The only downside, is on console you get reported by salty losers, which can prevent you from playing other games.

I agree with everything said, however. You are SUPPOSED to play for fun, but the salty players make it hard to enjoy.
    Oh, honestly, I didn’t even know there was a report option, haha. 
  • HellDescent
    HellDescent Member Posts: 4,883

One thing will never change: no matter what people will always complain about perks, survivor/killer buffs.

• thomasnut
    thomasnut Member Posts: 113

@JaPonii said:
    Daaaaam look at that WALL OF TEXT
    Ain't nobody got time for that TL;DR
    you must be craaaAzy!

just be glad he didn't write it in cursive. 3/4 of you wouldn't be able to read it.