The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Lag switching bannable, laggy survivors = fine

This double standard really pisses me off. Lag switching is ######### bad, we all know that. But its completely fine for survivors to be EXTREMELY laggy, and barely uncatchable, and gain a simular advantage to lag switching from whatever it is they do to increase their latency. Both need to be bannable offences. Its funny how the lag is very selective too, and only occur's during chases or when they are about to be hit.

Add it to the list of bannable offences, survivors have more than enough crutches and tools at their disposal, don't make lag another one.

Comments

• powerbats
    powerbats Member Posts: 7,068
    edited January 2019

@witulo said:
    This double standard really pisses me off. Lag switching is [BAD WORD] bad, we all know that. But its completely fine for survivors to be EXTREMELY laggy, and barely uncatchable, and gain a simular advantage to lag switching from whatever it is they do to increase their latency. Both need to be bannable offences. Its funny how the lag is very selective too, and only occur's during chases or when they are about to be hit.

Add it to the list of bannable offences, survivors have more than enough crutches and tools at their disposal, don't make lag another one.

Oh good grief, you can always dodge someone with 1k ping or red ping and if you think someone is lag switching on the survivor end and you've got proof report them.

Also you do realize that you're the host so perhaps it might just be you that's the problem or you know the possibly multiple Isp's the data runs through to get to you.

Lastly the fact you use the crutches insult points to it being more you and not them.

• BigBadPiggy
    BigBadPiggy Member Posts: 678
    edited January 2019
    I see it as a problem when they are purposely ######### up their internet too gain an advantage. But when the lag is out of their control because a lot of people are on their internet, they have a ######### service provider, etc, it shouldn’t be your problem. The lag ######### up the survivors just as much as it does the killer. Don’t be a douche to them and just let them know their internet wasn’t the best.

And no it’s not a double standard. Men not being able to open their legs while they sit is bad, while it’s ok for women to take up 3 seats their bags. THAT is a double standard.
  • Judgement
    Judgement Member Posts: 955
    Peanits said:

Whoever told you lagswitching is not bannable for survivors has lied to you. When we go through reports, we don't care in the slightest who's playing what, lagswitching is lagswitching.

Does lag-switching even work as a Survivor though?
    In normal cases if a Survivor lags they get teleported back to where they last were or, if they were moving, to where they would have been if they kept going that way. For the host (Killer) and other Survivors, that one keeps running in the same direction.
    At least that’s my experience with lag as a Survivor but I don’t know if lag-switching changes anything.
  • mcNuggets
    mcNuggets Member Posts: 767

I saw survivors lagging forward, but they didnt use any cheats.
    It's just the poorly scripted game not checking for max. speed serverside.

• Judgement
    Peanits said:

@Judgement said:
    Peanits said:

Whoever told you lagswitching is not bannable for survivors has lied to you. When we go through reports, we don't care in the slightest who's playing what, lagswitching is lagswitching.

Does lag-switching even work as a Survivor though?
    In normal cases if a Survivor lags they get teleported back to where they last were or, if they were moving, to where they would have been if they kept going that way. For the host (Killer) and other Survivors, that one keeps running in the same direction.
    At least that’s my experience with lag as a Survivor but I don’t know if lag-switching changes anything.

There are ways, not going to go into details. The less is known about it the better.

Understandable.
  • Kaelum
    Kaelum Member Posts: 994

@Judgement there is something new that survivors are doing that from the killer’s side, looks like they are just jumping from point to point to point, without really running. It started a little over a month ago, where I’d see it maybe once every few days, to now where it occurrs at least once every 5-10 matches. It only seems to happen with higher ranked killers, and I didn’t see it all for the week after rank reset.

I play on PS4 and thought that it was just a PS4 thing, but then I started to see it on PC streams as well. It definitely happens more on the PS4, which means that it is some sort of black box on their Internet connection. I have a feeling that when it is turned on, it blocks like every Nth packet, which would exhibit behavior like I am seeing. I’ll have to setup WireShark and monitor the connection sometime, to see if there is a pattern.

• Tsulan
    Tsulan Member Posts: 15,095
    powerbats said:

@witulo said:
    This double standard really pisses me off. Lag switching is [BAD WORD] bad, we all know that. But its completely fine for survivors to be EXTREMELY laggy, and barely uncatchable, and gain a simular advantage to lag switching from whatever it is they do to increase their latency. Both need to be bannable offences. Its funny how the lag is very selective too, and only occur's during chases or when they are about to be hit.

Oh good grief, you can always dodge someone with 1k ping or red ping and if you think someone is lag switching on the survivor end and you've got proof report them.

Also you do realize that you're the host so perhaps it might just be you that's the problem or you know the possibly multiple Isp's the data runs through to get to you.

Lastly the fact you use the crutches insult points to it being more you and not them.

I'm going to frame your answer and point at it  every time someone complains about lag switching killers. 
  • Judgement
    Kaelum said:

@Judgement there is something new that survivors are doing that from the killer’s side, looks like they are just jumping from point to point to point, without really running. It started a little over a month ago, where I’d see it maybe once every few days, to now where it occurrs at least once every 5-10 matches. It only seems to happen with higher ranked killers, and I didn’t see it all for the week after rank reset.

I play on PS4 and thought that it was just a PS4 thing, but then I started to see it on PC streams as well. It definitely happens more on the PS4, which means that it is some sort of black box on their Internet connection. I have a feeling that when it is turned on, it blocks like every Nth packet, which would exhibit behavior like I am seeing. I’ll have to setup WireShark and monitor the connection sometime, to see if there is a pattern.

I actually saw something like that a while ago, a Survivor was teleporting forward while I was chasing them and essentially doubling their speed so that it took me so much longer to catch up to them.
    They were totally green in the lobby and then suddenly started warping which increased their speed.
    I guess it was either a speedhack or lag-switch - or both. I still managed to kill them though.
  • powerbats

@Tsulan said:

I'm going to frame your answer and point at it  every time someone complains about lag switching killers. 

Go right ahead since I've given the same advice to survivors complaining about and also telling them to record it and submit it via support ticket if it's actually lag switching. I've even explained multiple times the differences and sometimes subtle ones at that.

But let's be honest here we both know killers do it way more often than survivors do at least on pc so more of survivors complaints are legitimate.

• Tsulan
    powerbats said:

@Tsulan said:

Go right ahead since I've given the same advice to survivors complaining about and also telling them to record it and submit it via support ticket if it's actually lag switching. I've even explained multiple times the differences and sometimes subtle ones at that.

But let's be honest here we both know killers do it way more often than survivors do at least on pc so more of survivors complaints are legitimate.

There are far less lag switchers than people claim.
    Not every lag spike is a switcher.
  • OrionsFury4789
    OrionsFury4789 Member Posts: 637
    Tsulan said:
    powerbats said:

@Tsulan said:

It's the matchmaking system that's the culprit here they've said more than once in their streams that they've had problems with it , killers are more often lag switchers (when it does happen) and survivors more often speed hack from what Ive noticed
  • Tsulan
    Tsulan said:
    powerbats said:

@Tsulan said:

It's the matchmaking system that's the culprit here they've said more than once in their streams that they've had problems with it , killers are more often lag switchers (when it does happen) and survivors more often speed hack from what Ive noticed
    If the killer has survivors from USA, Russia, Japan and Australia in the same lobby. While sitting in Europe. I guarantee you, that at least 1 of them will complain about the killer being a lag switcher. 

I can count the amount of lag switchers I've faced on 1 hand. Lag spikes happen quite often. But are not a indicator for lag switching. 
  • micsan
    micsan Member Posts: 95
    edited January 2019

@Peanits said:

Could Behaviour please at some point publish the number of reports and actions taken? This would help with false reports I think. As you can see in this thread, I'm not the only one getting annoyed by the fact that every time there is lag in game you get called a lag switcher.

I am so goddamn annoyed by all the whiny survivors that message me calling me a lag switcher. I play on wireless, I play for fun, I do not care that my connection isn't perfect. I've never had any problems with lag or being called a lag switcher in any game I've ever played, but in DbD it happens every 2-3 games I play as killer. In short, I'm not going to drill a hole in my floor to pull a ethernet cable through simply because of some whiny kids that don't understand how the internet works. There is going to be lag, that doesn't mean someone has gone out of their way to create a physical button\switch to manipulate the data sent to their ps4.

• yobuddd
    yobuddd Member Posts: 2,259

@Kaelum said:

It’s funny you say this because I’ve seen a new problem that has developed over the exact same time scale you mentioned. As killer on PS4, I can play a decent game, get a couple hooked or sacrificed, but as soon as I’m gaining the upper hand over one of those annoying high level player, the whole match ends and I’m sent back to the home screen. It has now become so common (1 in 5) that I’m unwilling to use add ons or offerings anymore until this is addressed, since they will be lost if this happens. On a different thread someone said it could be a programmed flashlight spam that breaks the game. I’ve managed to reduce instances this somewhat by cancelling any room that has a flashlight-wielding survivor join, but it’s not foolproof. Last time it happened, the culprit had a flashlight they must have gotten from a chest.

• DwightsLifeMatters
    DwightsLifeMatters Member Posts: 1,649
    Survivors can't lagswitch, they are not the host. If they try to lagswitch they are only harming themselves. If survivors are skipping it could be just ping related, your Internet getting spikes or a speedhacker. That's at least what I know, could be wrong tho 
  • ChesterTheMolester
    ChesterTheMolester Member Posts: 2,771
    Survivors can't lagswitch, they are not the host. If they try to lagswitch they are only harming themselves. If survivors are skipping it could be just ping related, your Internet getting spikes or a speedhacker. That's at least what I know, could be wrong tho 
    Peanits mentioned that they can, lagswitching survs do exist, probably just less known.
  • Mc_Harty
    Mc_Harty Member Posts: 3,293

@ChesterTheMolester said:
    Peanits mentioned that they can, lagswitching survs do exist, probably just less known.

... How would that even work? Aren't they harming themselves?

• ChesterTheMolester
    Mc_Harty said:

Not sure. But i have seen laggy survivors acting like Tracer sometimes so i can imagine that some found a way to weaponize that lag.
  • Tsulan
    Mc_Harty said:

Not sure. But i have seen laggy survivors acting like Tracer sometimes so i can imagine that some found a way to weaponize that lag.
    Same. But it's more a hack than a switch. 
  • ChesterTheMolester
    Tsulan said:
    Mc_Harty said:

Same. But it's more a hack than a switch. 
    Idk, never ran into (a blatant-) one. Especially as a console peasant. Maybe that explains it though.
  • Kaelum
    edited January 2019

@yobuddd what you are describing is a little different. It’s based on a known bug that BHVR thought they had fixed, but hadn’t fully. There are controllers out there that allow buttons to auto-pulse at beyond human rates, which is what is happening with flashlights. When a flashlight is pulsed fast enough, it creates the possibly of those nearby to DC. It’s usually the killer that DCs, but it can do the same to survivors. This was verified just a couple weeks ago, when it happened live on Puppers stream several times.

I am almost 100% certain that the survivor lagg switch device was created by a hacker who decoded the telemetry streams, and figured out how to reduce the information being sent to the host (Killer) w/o suffering the effects of normal lagg. It basically picks certain packets to block, but does not block the retry packets. Which results in the 1/2 second stop motion animation that killers are seeing.

P.S. This new lagg switch device also has the ability to TP the survivor completely out of view, with no scratch mark trail. One moment they are in front of you in stop motion animation, then they are just gone.

• powerbats

@Tsulan said:

I'm not disputing either of those but I've been around long enough to know the difference and have recorded enough videos of it happening. But to say it doesn't exist or happens only rarely is untrue especially on pc and for those that remember the old Starcraft usage.

• thesuicidefox
    thesuicidefox Member Posts: 8,223

I've seen laggy survivors, and while they do seem to skip around at a faster pace eventually that lag will bite them in the ass because the moment you get close they can't do anything to avoid you. Killer has host so there's not really a way they can cheese the connection in their favor, since your game is basically in command of everything. If you lagswitch as survivor you are just an idiot because it will do nothing for you, except get you a ban when reported.

• Delfador
    Delfador Member Posts: 2,552

You are comparing oranges with apples.

Lagswitch is bannable.

Laggy survivors are OK.

Laggy killers are OK.

Lag spikes from both sides are OK.

The last 3 is not desirable but they are a part of the multiplayer games. The problem starts when people do it intentionally.

• Tsulan
    powerbats said:

@Tsulan said:

I'm not disputing either of those but I've been around long enough to know the difference and have recorded enough videos of it happening. But to say it doesn't exist or happens only rarely is untrue especially on pc and for those that remember the old Starcraft usage.

As I said. There are far less than people claim. But they exist. 
  • powerbats

@Tsulan said:

As I said. There are far less than people claim. But they exist. 

Agreed, I'd like to see a video expose where people could see the differences but then the ones lag switching would learn to game it.

• yobuddd

@Kaelum said:
    @yobuddd what you are describing is a little different. It’s based on a known bug that BHVR thought they had fixed, but hadn’t fully. There are controllers out there that allow buttons to auto-pulse at beyond human rates, which is what is happening with flashlights. When a flashlight is pulsed fast enough, it creates the possibly of those nearby to DC. It’s usually the killer that DCs, but it can do the same to survivors. This was verified just a couple weeks ago, when it happened live on Puppers stream several times.

I am almost 100% certain that the survivor lagg switch device was created by a hacker who decoded the telemetry streams, and figured out how to reduce the information being sent to the host (Killer) w/o suffering the effects of normal lagg. It basically picks certain packets to block, but does not block the retry packets. Which results in the 1/2 second stop motion animation that killers are seeing.

P.S. This new lagg switch device also has the ability to TP the survivor completely out of view, with no scratch mark trail. One moment they are in front of you in stop motion animation, then they are just gone.

It’s different, yes, but I find it remarkable that (for me) this issue on PS4 has drastically increased over the exact same timescale that Kaelum describes in his observation. While I’m not so savvy in regards to the inner workings of internet connections, I think your explanation makes great sense.

That said, here are my next questions: Will the dedicated servers coming online this summer fix these issues? As in, will the strength of the Killer’s internet connection still be the determining factor for the smoothness of gameplay? Will flashlight spams be rendered ineffective? Is there anything that we (or the developers) can do about it in the meantime?

sigh until things are resolved, I guess I’ll just have to keep closing out rooms when survivors join with flashlights (or have too many X’s in their name for that matter! Common culprits)

• Sn0wJob
    Sn0wJob Member Posts: 247

I played against a team with a laurie who had 900 ping, I couldn't get a single hit on her.
    She later admitted she was from australia, I felt bad.
    Nobody should have to live in australia :'(:'(

• Kaelum

@yobuddd dedicated servers should prevent the loss of BP due to the killer DCing, but the latency will get slightly worse. It will be similar to playing a KYF match where the spectator is the host. Will it end being hit through pallets and windows? No, and it will get slightly worse. The killer’s Internet connection will still be a factor, but not in the same way that it is today.

The flashlight issue is not only a killer connection issue, as a survivor with a very poor connection can DC as well. The killer connection supports bi-directional telemetry to each survivor, which means he sends and receives ~4x the data that a survivor does. The devs can reduce the number of times/second that the flashlight is used, beyond what they have currently done. Compressing the telemetry can help to, but with some new hacks that currently in use, I don’t see this happening. The amount of data will double if they encrypt the telemetry.

Latency = asychronus activities occurring in parallel. The problem is when 2 opposing actions occur at near the same time. Who wins? Currently, both win, and I don’t see that changing. However, when there is a greater difference in time between the actions, then the server can declare that the latter action occurred too late and ignore it completely. Thus, whomever has the worst connection, will have the worst experience. With a bad enough connection the killer could be going back in time, or not lunging/swinging, while the survivors get away. It all depends upon what rules BHVR puts into place on the servers and clients.

• Slayer
    Slayer Member Posts: 1,148
    Lol you killer is the server survivors cant lag on your screen without doing bad for themselves wait for dedicated servers where you going to end up on survivors side when you no longer will be able to just blindly go for lunge and still succeed
  • Swiftblade131
    Swiftblade131 Member Posts: 2,050
    edited January 2019

My favorite, is when a survivor sits there for 40 seconds, sees how bad the ping is, and chooses to stay/ready up, then complains about the bad ping after the match.

I am not going to drop my lobby for 1 survivor with bad ping, when the rest are sitting at a comfortable 80 ping. Not my problem.

• Slayer

My favorite, is when a survivor sits there for 40 seconds, sees how bad the ping is, and chooses to stay/ready up, then complains about the bad ping after the match.

I am not going to drop my lobby for 1 survivor with bad ping, when the rest are sitting at a comfortable 80 ping. Not my problem.

The game is filled with casuals
  • Deebo
    Deebo Member Posts: 16

@Swiftblade131 said:

It being green in the lobby is not what determines how well the match will perform. Ping is a measurement of how fast you get a response when you send a request. Think of it as sonars on marine vessels. The vessel that sends out a ping, waits for the echo to return after it reflected off a surface, the time from transmitting and reception is what the ingame "ping-meter" measures in milliseconds.

The problem is that a host can be on a poor wi-fi connection, or a 2.4GHz connection. If there are many devices using it, the ping isn't going to accurately represent how the performance will be. For instance, I'm sure you've experienced a weird jerk or hiccup, throwing your character in any direction or seen players run facefirst into walls. This isn't caused by a "high ping", but rather a dip in connection quality. Once the hiccup is over, you're back in green numbers.

• Deebo

@Kaelum said:
    @yobuddd dedicated servers should prevent the loss of BP due to the killer DCing, but the latency will get slightly worse. It will be similar to playing a KYF match where the spectator is the host. Will it end being hit through pallets and windows? No, and it will get slightly worse. The killer’s Internet connection will still be a factor, but not in the same way that it is today.

The flashlight issue is not only a killer connection issue, as a survivor with a very poor connection can DC as well. The killer connection supports bi-directional telemetry to each survivor, which means he sends and receives ~4x the data that a survivor does. The devs can reduce the number of times/second that the flashlight is used, beyond what they have currently done. Compressing the telemetry can help to, but with some new hacks that currently in use, I don’t see this happening. The amount of data will double if they encrypt the telemetry.

Latency = asychronus activities occurring in parallel. The problem is when 2 opposing actions occur at near the same time. Who wins? Currently, both win, and I don’t see that changing. However, when there is a greater difference in time between the actions, then the server can declare that the latter action occurred too late and ignore it completely. Thus, whomever has the worst connection, will have the worst experience. With a bad enough connection the killer could be going back in time, or not lunging/swinging, while the survivors get away. It all depends upon what rules BHVR puts into place on the servers and clients.

Close enough, but not quite right. You're assuming that the server will handle information in the order it receives it. Information can be "timestamped", and so even if the server receives the package for a killer lunging 2ms later than a survivor using Dead Hard, the killers' lunge will still be the event that takes place for both parties.

A server will improve the experience for people who have good connection quality, and make people with poor connection quality have to look into it and improve their connection issues. That's in stark contrast to where it is currently:
    If I play as a Killer (my connection is amazeballs), it feels responsive and fair all the 85%-90% of the time, I'd guess, and then I see the odd stuttery, short-distance-teleporting survivors. But playing as survivor, sometimes I take hits that look like they aren't anyway near me at all. But that's a subjective observation.

Dedicated servers, will result in two things:

1) While your quality may vary, it will be a fairer game for all players.

2) Players with poor connection quality will likely struggle more playing killers than they are used to, but the same will be true for clutch-important timings, like Dead Hard.

• Kaelum

@Deebo you have obviously never worked on an online game before. TimeStamp? It is impossible to use such a mechanism in any fair way. In fact, it it impossible to know the time differences between machines that is less than the latency between the machines. NTP, and other protocols for achieving the same goal, make some good guesses, but they are by no means perfect. Add that to a game that people can easily hack, and you’d have a ######### storm.

You obviously don’t know how TCP and UDP work either. While packets may be sent out in a very specific order, they do not always arrive at the client in that specific order. Some packets take longer than others to arrive, as not all packets take the same route, so trying to calculate anything that is less than the latency between the 2 machines would not be fair to both players.

Servers will NOT improve the experience for anyone, as latency will increase. Latency now is peer-to-peer, latency with servers is client-to-server-to client. The server adds latency to all connections, thus my analogy to the current KYF where the spectator is the host. Other than that, you just repeated what I had already stated.

• Slayer

@Kaelum said:
    @Deebo you have obviously never worked on an online game before. TimeStamp? It is impossible to use such a mechanism in any fair way. In fact, it it impossible to know the time differences between machines that is less than the latency between the machines. NTP, and other protocols for achieving the same goal, make some good guesses, but they are by no means perfect. Add that to a game that people can easily hack, and you’d have a ######### storm.

You obviously don’t know how TCP and UDP work either. While packets may be sent out in a very specific order, they do not always arrive at the client in that specific order. Some packets take longer than others to arrive, as not all packets take the same route, so trying to calculate anything that is less than the latency between the 2 machines would not be fair to both players.

Servers will NOT improve the experience for anyone, as latency will increase. Latency now is peer-to-peer, latency with servers is client-to-server-to client. The server adds latency to all connections, thus my analogy to the current KYF where the spectator is the host. Other than that, you just repeated what I had already stated.

Exactly . Right now killers dont suffer one bit cause they have no latency at all wait for them to have it and then we ll see how it goes

• Deebo
    edited January 2019
    Kaelum said:

No, I haven't worked on a game before. I do work in the networking field though, and I know that multiplayer games are a long way off from being a 100% fair a 100% of the time. But they can be fairer than DBD currently is.

A lot of what you say is true, but I find it interesting that rather than try and argue how it could be improved upon, you spend effort trying to put me down in an attempt to discredit me. I think it's plain as day neither you nor I are experts on all things netcode related. If you are, you should look into client-server time stamp interpolation.
  • danph7
    danph7 Member Posts: 38

I had the same thing MULTIPLE times today and in the past few days of survivors stuttering around and latency abusing. Its almost impossible to catch them or hit them. I got so pissed I got a video this time around. People will do ANYTHING to win. Doesnt matter if they cheat or dont play fair. AND IT SICKENS ME!

• Gamer29
    Gamer29 Member Posts: 26

Exactly what’s been going on!! Then they have the balls to TBag as if they actually learned the game and escaped on their on merrit

• yobuddd

Wow this brings back memories! A thread from over a year ago....I had reread everything that we discussed back then, and then it all just came flooding back! 😄

• Kaelum

Another necro’d thread, but everything that I stated over a year ago, has come to pass. Could things be better? ABSOLUTELY! Will they get better, probably not. The developers working on this do not have the knowledge or expertise. Out with the old, in with the seasoned experts. That’s the only way that this will ever be fixed properly.

P.S. This goes for the game level designers as well.

• danph7
    danph7 Member Posts: 38

i rather have P2P back...and I thought I would never say something like that...

• Tylerja1
    Tylerja1 Member Posts: 38

I just played my 3rd game where there was terrible lag as a killer.

Looked like frame rate drop but i doubt that.. probably just lag..

And on top if the there was a level 2 and lvl 3 survivor who knew that map too damn well honestly. The 3 higher (lower) levels on the team were definetly in a party as i got a invote from them right after i was [BAD WORD] OFF. Its like they were running through me tbt.

Alass i was just checking to see if lag switching was a real problem on this game.