The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Console Players Should Have Access to the PTB

I think it's unfair that majority of feedback from the PTB comes from pc, who are the ones who actually get to test out the new mechanics and characters. People who play the game on console will never get to test out the new content unless they go out and just buy it AGAIN on pc, or just watch others play it on YouTube. The devs need to try and come up with a solution for this so that console players can finally chime in and give their feedback.

My fix for this is to have another option on the main menu titled "Public Test Build" (Duh). Making it an option on the main menu can also give pc users faster access to it, so they won't have to constantly go through the properties to get to the betas tab just to play it. After the player selects the Player Test Build option in the menu it will load up like normal except it will have the properties of KYF (Kill your friends) but with regular matchmaking like normal. You will have access to all items, addons, perks, killers, and survivors. You will not gain bloodpoints, iridescent shards, levels, or rank, the same way as if you were playing kill your friends. Turning the PTB into an option on the main menu for both console and pc would be a great move by the devs because they would be making access to the PTB faster, easier, as well as giving access to the rest of the community.

Sadly, I believe this will never happen. Pc will always get to test the new s#!t while the rest of us are constantly being thrown under the bus.

Comments

• BigBadPiggy
    BigBadPiggy Member Posts: 678

@MuseMagician said:
    With the amount of time it takes to get new content to console in the size of a patch like that it takes too much time. I understand your rant and point of view, but it's just so much easier to test out new content for bugs and potential fixes on PC. Maybe you should join the PC world and come play with us ;) Then you don't have to worry about Ochido

1st, I don't feel like going out and buying a second copy of a game that I already have. 2nd, I don't want to buy a brand new pc powerful enough just too play the damn thing.

• Master
    Master Member Posts: 10,200

@BigBadPiggy said:
    I think it's unfair that majority of feedback from the PTB comes from pc, who are the ones who actually get to test out the new mechanics and characters. People who play the game on console will never get to test out the new content unless they go out and just buy it AGAIN on pc, or just watch others play it on YouTube. The devs need to try and come up with a solution for this so that console players can finally chime in and give their feedback.

My fix for this is to have another option on the main menu titled "Public Test Build" (Duh). Making it an option on the main menu can also give pc users faster access to it, so they won't have to constantly go through the properties to get to the betas tab just to play it. After the player selects the Player Test Build option in the menu it will load up like normal except it will have the properties of KYF (Kill your friends) but with regular matchmaking like normal. You will have access to all items, addons, perks, killers, and survivors. You will not gain bloodpoints, iridescent shards, levels, or rank, the same way as if you were playing kill your friends. Turning the PTB into an option on the main menu for both console and pc would be a great move by the devs because they would be making access to the PTB faster, easier, as well as giving access to the rest of the community.

Sadly, I believe this will never happen. Pc will always get to test the new s#!t while the rest of us are constantly being thrown under the bus.

Yes its unfair, but thats the nature of the slow process of doing console builds.

Maybe you can write a polite letter to sony/microsoft to encourage them supporting sth similar.

But honestly, ptb is overrated, queue times are horrible and everyone uses everything because you dont lose stuff. I am a PC player and I never play the PTB anymore, I check some streams to get the info.

Btw, you have to realize that the PTB is a completely different build, basically its like a new game. You cannot simply select ptb in main menu, thats not how it works

• MuseMagician
    MuseMagician Member Posts: 26
    edited August 2018

@BigBadPiggy said:

@MuseMagician said:
    With the amount of time it takes to get new content to console in the size of a patch like that it takes too much time. I understand your rant and point of view, but it's just so much easier to test out new content for bugs and potential fixes on PC. Maybe you should join the PC world and come play with us ;) Then you don't have to worry about Ochido

1st, I don't feel like going out and buying a second copy of a game that I already have. 2nd, I don't want to buy a brand new pc powerful enough just too play the damn thing.

You don't need the highest end gaming PC to play this game. It's only recommended to have a decent PC because of frames and resolution. This game goes on sale so many times for PC it's unreal. Unlike you console plebs we don't get Dead by Daylight for free like you PS4 Gold members did. But it's alright you know. I will enjoy playing the new Killer on the PTB and getting the chapter one month or so before you do ;)

• BigBadPiggy

@MuseMagician said:

@BigBadPiggy said:

@MuseMagician said:

You don't need the highest end gaming PC to play this game. It's only recommended to have a decent PC because of frames and resolution. This game goes on sale so many times for PC it's unreal. Unlike you console plebs we don't get Dead by Daylight for free like you PS4 Gold members did. But it's alright you know. I will enjoy playing the new Killer on the PTB and getting the chapter one month or so before you do ;)

The game ain't free for us, we still have to pay for the damn membership. Or did the all mighty pc lord forget that?

• MuseMagician

I cannot wait for them to put the hatch changes back on the PTB. I want to close that damn hatch so bad....

• MuseMagician

@BigBadPiggy I am not a PC lord. Just pointing out the #Facts and yes the game was free about a month ago on PS4 for Gold Members. But I did forget you have to pay to play online. I don't miss that at all XD

• only1biggs
    only1biggs Member Posts: 1,178

@SovererignKing said:
    MuseMagician said:

I’m waiting to get him in my Lobby, so I can Nurse his ass. No luck so far :(

I don't care for him as much as the next guy, but judging by your gameplay, he'll embarrass you.

Good luck.

• chemical_reject
    chemical_reject Member Posts: 940
    As a console gamer I don't really want the ptb. Let pc work the bugs out. PTB just increases the lobby times and their useless cause no one actually plays it to test the new changes. They play it to see the new characters and if they don't like a change the devs are trying out they sabotage it. 
  • megaweenieman
    megaweenieman Member Posts: 323
    I know that DICE created a PTB for battlefield 1 last year on consoles so that everyone could test upcoming dlcs
  • Aftertaste
    Aftertaste Member Posts: 315

It isn't that simple. They would really liike to but they can't.

• Khalednazari
    Khalednazari Member Posts: 1,433
    I'd be happy enough, if the new chapter gets released for both pc and console at the same time. PTB doesn't matter. The team should work towards the former. 
  • Swiftblade131
    Swiftblade131 Member Posts: 2,050
    edited August 2018

You can thank Sony and Microsoft for that.

I am sure the DEVs would love to allow access of the PTB to console users, but there is much more behind the scenes that we do not know about.

I am sure they have tried many times, but it just does not end up working out in the end.

You can stick to console or get a PC, those are your choices.

• White_Owl
    White_Owl Member Posts: 3,786

Be happy, the PTB experience is usually quite terrible, with long ass queue times and people being dicks with their ultra rares and stuff knowing they don't loose anything. I usually play it a bit for the first 2 days to see and judge the new stuff, but then it becomes literally unplayable and I switch back.

• SovererignKing
    SovererignKing Member Posts: 1,273

@SovererignKing said:
    MuseMagician said:

I don't care for him as much as the next guy, but judging by your gameplay, he'll embarrass you.

Good luck.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1376HwI65E0

My Nurse is not Clown. 
  • brokedownpalace
    brokedownpalace Member Posts: 8,792
    I'm pretty sure not_Queen said a PTB of some sort is possible on consoles but it would require more resources than they think is worth it. I don't really blame them, I just wish the PTBs were like 3 days long, max. 
  • brokedownpalace
    brokedownpalace Member Posts: 8,792
    Would be nice if to compensate console players we were given a free trial of the new killers/survivors. Like before you buy them you can play them for up to 2 hours and level them up to 29 (so you wouldn't be able to unlock their teachables).
  • Action_Jaxon
    Action_Jaxon Member Posts: 73

This is usually the case with any game that is released on PC before consoles doubt it will change anytime soon.

• Mr_Jay_Stark
    Mr_Jay_Stark Member Posts: 539
    I have to say it would probably be a waste of BHVR time because if I hear correctly I think PC players play the PTB for only a couple of days because on PTB you can’t earn jack diddly squat you’re just testing. But I remember PUBG came out with a PTB and I played that for a day! So I’m cool with waiting  :)
  • Uberfish
    Uberfish Member Posts: 19
    edited August 2018

https://kotaku.com/5884842/wait-it-costs-40000-to-patch-a-console-game
    Here's ya problem...

(Summary: It costs a fortune to push out a console patch)

• yeet
    yeet Member Posts: 1,832

it's literally not possible
    consoles are inferior in every way

• Sarief
    Sarief Member Posts: 543

@yeet said:

you mean "optimized"? :D

• yeet

@Sarief said:

@yeet said:

if you're playing on console you're taking an L

• Sarief
    Sarief Member Posts: 543

@yeet said:

@Sarief said:

@yeet said:

if you're playing on console you're taking an L

You'd have to explain to me how exactly :D

ps: I play both PC and PS4.

• FinLadd
    FinLadd Member Posts: 190
    edited August 2018
    Uberfish said:

Here's ya problem...

This can't be for real otherwise all game companys would be broke in no time. 
  • Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675

@FinLadd said:

Yeah, I call bullshit. Such a price would make publishers go bankrupt, because they don't get 40000 per patch; patches are essentially irrelevant in terms of sales. Probably just another publisher whining about how game development is super expensive, even though game-related profits have constantly increased.

• FinLadd
    FinLadd Member Posts: 190
    Orion said:

@FinLadd said:

Yeah, I call bullshit. Such a price would make publishers go bankrupt, because they don't get 40000 per patch; patches are essentially irrelevant in terms of sales. Probably just another publisher whining about how game development is super expensive, even though game-related profits have constantly increased.

Dude exactly
  • Mc_Harty
    Mc_Harty Member Posts: 3,293

@FinLadd said:

It's Kotaku.

Of course it's not.

• BigBadPiggy

@MuseMagician Also> @yeet said:

Not in EVERY way, we don't need to worry about constantly buying new graphics cards when the newest ultra realistic game comes out.

• Master

@MuseMagician said:
    I cannot wait for them to put the hatch changes back on the PTB. I want to close that damn hatch so bad....

There havent been any hatch changes mentioned afaik?

• SovererignKing
    edited August 2018

Not in EVERY way, we don't need to worry about constantly buying new graphics cards when the newest ultra realistic game comes out.

Or our graphics card, mother board, or whatever part burning out and we have to replace it. Always have a laugh when someone says they bought some expensive graphics card, then it fried and they have to buy another. 

Buys $400 card, it fries, oh look, have to buy a new one. Congratulations on spending $800 in less than a year where as I only have to buy a new console every 3-4 years. 
  • Master

@yeet said:

Performance wise sure, but with the console exclusive titles....
    Its all marketing

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675

@SovererignKing said:
    Buys $400 card, it fries, oh look, have to buy a new one. Congratulations on spending $800 in less than a year where as I only have to buy a new console every 3-4 years. 

I only have to buy (well, choose to buy to have better performance) new parts every 5 years or so. My MB is well over 5 years old, my GPU prior to this one was also well over 5 years old, my case was about 10 years old, and so on. If your card fries, that's a problem with your computer or the card itself, and the latter is why you have 2-year guarantees, at least in my country.

Consoles are not that different from PCs. The difference is that if your console's MB fries, you have to get a new console. I can just get a new MB. And yes, every single piece of console hardware is strictly inferior to the PC equivalent.

Consoles are better for developers and publishers due to their unchanging and inferior hardware, but not for gamers.

• SovererignKing
    Orion said:

@SovererignKing said:

I only have to buy (well, choose to buy to have better performance) new parts every 5 years or so. My MB is well over 5 years old, my GPU prior to this one was also well over 5 years old, my case was about 10 years old, and so on. If your card fries, that's a problem with your computer or the card itself, and the latter is why you have 2-year guarantees, at least in my country.

Consoles are not that different from PCs. The difference is that if your console's MB fries, you have to get a new console. I can just get a new MB. And yes, every single piece of console hardware is strictly inferior to the PC equivalent.

Consoles are better for developers and publishers due to their unchanging and inferior hardware, but not for gamers.

A lot of people buy graphics cards from others off like Ebay and such. Then they fry 6 months later, or they don’t pay attention and fry them. Not saying everyone has that problem, but I’ve heard more ham enough horror stories. 

Truth is, i’m just tired of this console vs PC war. It’s gotten tedious. We’re all gamers. We all have our casual player base, and our hardcore pro players. I just wish people would stop bringing it up. It’s getting old.

I play Final Fantasy 14, an MMO. I play on PS4 and I dominate parse numbers, and make those PC players that think they are awesome look like crap. It doesn’t matter what you play on, if you’re good, you’re good. I’m just tired of people trying to invalidate me cause I play on console. It’s infuriating that people dismiss me even though I’ve dominated PC players as well as been dominated. It’s all on the person, not the hardware. 

Lets just band together... and hate on those idiots who call themselves “gamers” playing mobile phone games. 
  • yeet

@BigBadPiggy said:

LMAO the amount of times i've heard this one
    my graphics card is going on 5 years now and it still runs everything with max settings

• Imagine a genuine idea/suggestion turning into a saltfest over PC and Console, each have their advantages and disadvantages. Focus on the main post.

• skvirl
    skvirl Member Posts: 92
    edited August 2018

@SovererignKing said:
    only1biggs said:

@SovererignKing said:

MuseMagician said:

With the amount of time it takes to get new content to console in the size of a patch like that it takes too much time. I understand your rant and point of view, but it's just so much easier to test out new content for bugs and potential fixes on PC. Maybe you should join the PC world and come play with us  ;) Then you don't have to worry about Ochido

Good luck.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1376HwI65E0

My Nurse is not Clown. 

Wow. 4 dumb survivors, Omega blink, Ruin, Make You Choice . Such skill.

• FrenziedRoach
    FrenziedRoach Member Posts: 2,600

oh FFS

I'm going to tell you the same thing I tell my Console regulars who watch me stream.

We may get the stuff first, we get to test the stuff first.

But the stuff we get is always broken as hell - by the time it trickles down to console, it's mostly fixed.

We might get it first, but you don't put up with the bugs we do.

Fair trade as far as I'm concerned.

• DocFabron
    DocFabron Member Posts: 2,410
    At least we have something that PC doesn't.

Red Dead Redemption 2 ;)
  • thesuicidefox
    thesuicidefox Member Posts: 8,223
    edited August 2018

@FinLadd said:
    Uberfish said:

Here's ya problem...

This article is from 2012. This used to be true, but now MS at least doesn't charge companies to update games. They can do it for free. It was a huge deal about a year before the X came out. A lot of companies pushed out updates on Xbox they never released because of the cost.

However, MS still has high standards for certification, which is why it takes so long for stuff to be released on Xbox versus PC. They do this because they don't want your game to fry the user's console. BHVR could release a patch that makes the game crash and burns your video card, and while unlikely, as a PC user you take that risk (and as PC developers they can usually assure themselves you won't be exposed to such a risk in the first place, they aren't as sure for console because that's not their primary development platform). MS doesn't want that stuff to happen to Xbox users, so if your game doesn't work the way they want they don't let you push out the update.

• thesuicidefox
    thesuicidefox Member Posts: 8,223
    edited August 2018

@Orion said:

@FinLadd said:

1) It did cost this much at the time the article was written. It was a huge point of contention between MS and indie devs for a long time until MS somewhat recently dropped to patch fee completely.
    2) Do you have ANY idea how much it costs to make a game nowadays? Here is a chart from a decade ago...
    (Here's the link, IDK why the picture is so small https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/vgsales/images/c/c6/Factor_5_dev_costs.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20080705213346)

$20 million baseline to make a successful game in 2006. You know what it would cost today? $500 MILLION. Yep. That's the MINIMUM you need to make super high profile games like CoD or Battlefield. MINIMUM. And those games have way bigger budgets than $500 million. "But BVHR isn't EA/Activision, they are a small team with a small game." True, but that doesn't mean it's cheap for them to develop DBD. Chances are the game has costed them 10's of millions by this point, but since they make millions more over that budget (ie. profit) they can afford to continue to develop content for the game (which costs more money BTW). Trust, if the game wasn't making a profit we wouldn't be getting any more content right now.

• SovererignKing
    skvirl said:

@SovererignKing said:
    only1biggs said:

@SovererignKing said:

MuseMagician said:

With the amount of time it takes to get new content to console in the size of a patch like that it takes too much time. I understand your rant and point of view, but it's just so much easier to test out new content for bugs and potential fixes on PC. Maybe you should join the PC world and come play with us  ;) Then you don't have to worry about Ochido

Good luck.

My Nurse is not Clown. 

Wow. 4 dumb survivors, Omega blink, Ruin, Make You Choice . Such skill.

As per usual, any excuse in the book to denounce. Every survivor is dumb, Ruin and MYC is OP, ect. Doesn’t matter what I post, you’ll find something to nit pick as an excuse to say I suck. 
  • Grey87
    Grey87 Member Posts: 346

Ignorant kids think it's that simple to get ptb to console...

• BigBadPiggy
    edited August 2018
    Grey87 said:

^Example of another pc master race lord right there

plus, when did I say it was simple? You clearly don’t know what an “idea” is, an idea is something that requires something called a “brain”, something you seem to be lacking.
  • powerbats
    powerbats Member Posts: 7,068
    edited August 2018

@BigBadPiggy said:
    Grey87 said:

^Example of another pc master race lord right there

plus, when did I say it was simple? You clearly don’t know what an “idea” is, an idea is something that requires something called a “brain”, something you seem to be lacking.

Your post seemed to be lacking in civility just as much as the person you're responding to.

@BigBadPiggy said:

If you want to use your brain as you say then do some research about why ptb won't come to console anytime soon. I mean that's a great idea right there since the information as is easy as asking why doesn't the ptb come to console? That or another great pair of ideas, there's Google search or simply read all the forum posts already explaining why.

• Michiko
    Michiko Member Posts: 623

PTB? Hell, console gamers are just hoping the next chapter will be released within a month of the PC release.