2»

Comments

• KuromiStarwind
    KuromiStarwind Member Posts: 325

You never deserve anything.

• CashelP14
    CashelP14 Member Posts: 5,564
    edited February 2020

If I know a killer has rancor and I'm getting tunnelled I would let myself get caught around 2 gens so I would have time to get unhooked, then hide in a locker when they last gen is nearly done.

If he is face camping me then I have another few options. Kill myself so he can't get his mori. Wait for a borrowed time save. I might then jump into a locker to use my ds.

The point is I think there is a lot of counters to rancor and I actually like the panic it gives me at the end of the game.

• brokedownpalace
    brokedownpalace Member Posts: 8,790

There's also stealth killers and lockers. It's entirely possible that each time a generator is completed either the killer is in stealth, you are in a locker or you are looking in a different direction so you can't see the killer. This can be fixed by giving the obsession a unique sound that plays when the killer's aura is revealed, like Alert does. (Actually I haven't played against Rancor in a while, is there a sound?)

• cipherbay_
    cipherbay_ Member Posts: 379

Rancor lets you see the killers aura for 3 seconds, ideally you are suppose to avoid chases, but if you are chased all game for 5 gens and get morid, then the killer set himself up for failure. You atleast get to pip

• ClickyClicky
    ClickyClicky Member Posts: 3,536

The reason for Rancor was that old DS had no counter. There was no waiting 60 seconds as it never expired. The obsession was going to be using it that game, unless you happened to be lucky enough to be within juggle distance each time.

It was an awful broken perk and anyone that says new DS is worse is being disingenuous.

• Machy619
    Machy619 Member Posts: 23

To be honest I think Rancor should allow you to Mori the obsession but it shouldn't make them exposed

• Carpemortum
    Carpemortum Member Posts: 4,506

Well if you're the obsession, and notice the killer EVERY TIME A GEN COMPLETES and you're NOT running dark sense. It's a pretty ######### good indicator that rancor exists.

Hide in locker for 10 seconds before/after last gen pops. Boom.

Pay attention. It gives you warnings.

• Carpemortum
    Carpemortum Member Posts: 4,506

Not true. I've been in games with no obsession. SOMEONE has an obsession perk. Even if it's the random w DS that never got used.

• Ohnoes
    Ohnoes Member Posts: 608

There's nothing wrong with rancor.

• Liruliniel
    Liruliniel Member Posts: 3,047

You sure he couldn't catch you? Or was the Doctor just screwing around letting you build up a false sense of security for the final round?

• Micheal_Myers
    Micheal_Myers Member Posts: 1,147

And It also gives the obsession the Exposed effect (I assume?) So like Fibijean stated, it does tell you if they have it. But I could understand the frustration of "I DID ALL THE WORK AND WHY DID I DIE?!"

But, like Fibijean also stated try to play more stealthily when you get alerted. (Even hide in a locker if you have to) that's all I can say about the matter.

• TheAntiSanta
    TheAntiSanta Member Posts: 128

It exists, because survivors deserve nothing but death.

• csandman1977
    csandman1977 Member Posts: 2,358

Thats what i was thinking. Anytime i use rancor, i avoid the obsession when there's another option.

Not to mention OP was unlucky enough that no one had DS that got used to shift obsession.

Rancor is fine as a perk. Even if it did need a little change, which it doesn't, there are about 100 things that need changing more.

• The_Bootie_Gorgon
    The_Bootie_Gorgon Member Posts: 2,340

The game does't end when the gens are done. You could pull the weight of the entire team but as long as you haven't left via the exit gate or hatch, you are fair game.

There seems to be this misconception that once all 5 gens are done, the game is over. The game isn't over until all survivors have left the match by escape/death.

• Mak0
    Mak0 Member Posts: 251

If your scared of rancor so much stop bringing obsession perks and hope that their running Nemesis... you get a warning that their running rancor because you can see their aura each time a generator completes so how do you counter it? There really is no set way too besides immersion if you have comms and your the target of rancor tell your team to take hits and bait chases with the killer during endgame (be wary of No One Escapes Death and Bloodwarden though.) Rancor encourages tunneling so if the killer finds you their going to give up all endgame pressure just to get 1 kill from rancor so if your good at looping prolong the chase so your teammates can open the gate. If your a solo swf all you can really do is be immersed. Rancor is like NOED the killer sacrafice 1 slot just so they can get a pity kill so just treat it like NOED and if your the obsession always expect it

• Fibijean
    Fibijean Member Posts: 8,342

Let's assume for argument's sake that you're correct in saying those things are badly designed. They're not badly designed because they're unfun - they're unfun because, among other things, they're badly designed.

Fun is entirely subjective and largely attitude-based. It's something that tends to be amplified by good design, but it is not a requirement for it. And it is probably the worst factor to balance around.

Good game design is often unfun. There are some people who are incapable of having fun unless they win. Does that mean the game should be "balanced" so that those people never lose? Of course not. And bad game design is often fun. There are a lot of people that have fun playing on Haddonfield. Does that mean it's a well-designed map? Not necessarily.

Good game design is a lot of things. It's just. It's rational. It's balanced. It's intuitive. But what it is definitely not is consistently and universally "fun".

• SandS_Hero
    SandS_Hero Member Posts: 29

It's unfortunate you happened to be the Obsession, I really like rancor for the Arua reading when gens go. And the exposure/kill is an added benefit. It's a potential kill for the killer of they haven't done well, even though you did you still get alot points cause you did well regardless.

• TragicSolitude
    TragicSolitude Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 7,114
    edited February 2020

Back when Rancor came out, Decisive Strike performed differently: the obsession could use it the first time they were downed, period. There was no prerequisite. There were some ways to try to play around it, or you could just eat the DS, but none of these options were really good.

Rancor gave you the option of not worrying about the obsession. If you downed them but couldn't get them to a hook, no big deal: once the last gen was done, if you downed them, it was a guaranteed kill. No worrying about juggling or eating the DS or any other nonsense.

Now, with the change to DS, Rancor can be used to help with mori Daily Rituals, as an alternative to Bitter Murmur with a bonus mori option, or to get revenge on someone who blinded/stunned/DS'd you (when paired with Nemesis). And it can give the obsession some valuable info about the killer's whereabouts each time a gen is completed. That info being useful to the survivor as well as the obvious giveaway that the killer is running Rancor are the perk's weaknesses.

Also, Rancor doesn't show auras, it shows notifications. Notifications are much less exact, and they don't give the killer any indication of who's who.

I've only died to Rancor twice in all my time playing: once because someone in a chase led the killer right to my hiding spot (thanks, man), and once because of Blood Warden (I knew better than to stick around, that was my own fault).

• CrassardStreams
    CrassardStreams Member Posts: 179

Rancor is laughably easy to counter, it's like budget Object of Obsession for that survivor. Just avoid the killer, and if you do get the gates powered, so what? pop into a locker before the last gen pops or stealth to the door.

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,590

Because people were annoyed by DS and being the Obsession had/still does have no real downsides, so instead of fixing the issue at base they added another perk to punish the Obsession.

• ASAPTurtle
    ASAPTurtle Member Posts: 968

Rancor is just kinda dogshit. I was in a 4man, didn't have any obsession perks. My 3 other friends had DS. I somehow was obsession though. Long story short, killer found out who the obsession was (Spirit) waited till the last gen popped by slugging me and got her one kill. She was also somehow rank 2 even though she played terribly.

• CosmicParagon
    CosmicParagon Member Posts: 1,070
    edited February 2020

The Killer doesn't get aura reading, you do. All the Killer gets is a loud noise indicator on your position. They don't even know which one is you.

• Shirokuro
    Shirokuro Member Posts: 182

I don't think Rancor is a problem at all. It's the only perk besides Devour Hope that allows you to Mori someone. Not to mention it's only the obsession and they know the killer's position every time a gen pops.

I think the devs should make more perks that allow you to Mori (with reasonable conditions of course) and remove the Mori offerings since most people agree that they're quite overpowered.

• It's not any worse than The Shape's Unlimited Evil Within III and being able to kill a Survivor without, literally, any effort.

That's the worst thing in the whole entire game. It makes sense for the character, but from a gameplay standpoint it's insufferable as there's no way to counter it at all. An instant game over. Seriously? Whose bright idea was that?

• xBEATDOWNSx
    xBEATDOWNSx Member Posts: 636

Rancor is fine. You have so much warning even before it says after the last gen pops.

Don't get caught slipping at the end. Really that simple.

• ZoneDymo
    ZoneDymo Member Posts: 1,946

"Had a game where a doctor LITERALLY couldn't catch me, so I deserve the escape if I earn it, right? Wrong.

The gens popped and he chased, downed me,"

sooo he did catch you then.... not to mention you know Ranchor is in play, just hide in a locker?

• Mew
    Mew Member Posts: 1,832

tbh, i feel like Rancor was just supposed to be a small bandaid fix to old ds. if you didnt wanna get dsed by the obsession, just ignore them all game and mori them at the end

• You know Rancor is being used by the killer anyway, because of seeing him as gens pop, so you do get a limited advantage from it.

Killer perks are to help them complete their objective, kill survivors or stop the survivors main objective, to survive. That's why Rancor exists.

• EvilJoshy
    EvilJoshy Member Posts: 5,295

Except for rancor there is hardly any danger of being the obsession. With the amount of survivors using ds there is no consequence for being made the obsession. I rarely see rancor to be honest. I only use it if I got a mori daily and I have no moris.

• 28_stabs
    28_stabs Member Posts: 1,470

First, you failed to hide.

Then you failed to lose killer.

Git gud.

• StardustSpeedway
    StardustSpeedway Member Posts: 882

I kinda wish there was a way I could tell my team mates the killer has rancor. As it stands now as a solo survivor, I am pretty much screwed because there's no way my team mates know the killer has it lol.

• DetailedDetriment
    DetailedDetriment Member Posts: 2,632
  • kcwolf1975
    kcwolf1975 Member Posts: 651

I was trying to do the rancor rampage challenge and twice I downed the obsession just to have them dc. Shame on me for trying to do a challenge...

• Hoodied
    Hoodied Member Posts: 13,017

Just because you managed to prevent being hooked once does not mean you deserve a free escape.

As long as you are in the trial, you are subject to any perks the killer uses...even rancor

• StardustSpeedway
    StardustSpeedway Member Posts: 882

You can equip a green mori and try to get it that way. You don't need to wait until all the gens are finished to use rancor.

• bilaueta
    bilaueta Member Posts: 341

It could have been made for kill with your hand with any killer challenges for when you dont have a mori

• MrGummeBear
    MrGummeBear Member Posts: 94

You know Rancor reveals the Killer to Survivor each time a gen is done. So you should pay attention more...I have to pay attention to d's and Bt. How do think a killer feels when it's the end of the gets d's at the exit gate

• PapiQuentin_
    PapiQuentin_ Member Posts: 889

There are several uncounterable abilities on both sides

• Lord_Tony
    Lord_Tony Member Posts: 2,109
  • Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 9,197
    edited April 2021

You had plenty of warning the killer had Rancor and you were the obsession. Why did you think you could see his aura when a gen was completed?

If he LITERALLY couldn't catch you, how did you get downed and then mori'd?

• KingFrost
    KingFrost Member Posts: 3,014

Rancor gives you fair warning unless you like DS just before the last gen pops. Or maybe if you're running Dark Sense. (What is it with Rancor and perks with the initials DS)

I remember a Spirit leaving me on the floor with Rancor. She had me downed, then went for someone else. I crawled through the exit gates. Some of the most tense moments of the game ever. (Maybe only eclipsed by the Infinite Tier 3 Myers I had the other day who also had tombstone and actually got his tier 3 pretty fast. The map was Midwich, which is hard to hide in.)

It's a mostly fair perk. Maybe if they reworked the obsession calculations so that people with no obsession perks are actually less likely to be obsession. (Seriously, why is it when 3 people run Decisive, and I run no obsession perks, I'm always the obsession?)