More Joe Shmoe female survivors

Auron471
Auron471 Member Posts: 1,310

I mean, I kinda noticed this when Yui came out. Most of the female characters used to be superstars / celebrities before they got taken into the fog. (Excluding licensed survivors)

Claudette, Nea and Meg are the ones that are just normal people.

Feng: Ex-Esports Gamer

Kate: Semi famous musician

Jane: Literally Oprah

Yui: Famous bike racer and became a symbol for women

The male characters are all mostly just some random dudes just livin life.

Dweet: Random town loser

Jake: Guy in woods

David King: Guy who really liked fighting people

Ace: Guy with a gambling problem

Adam: A teacher

Jeff: Artist

Why cant we have more female characters that are just... regular everyday people?

Comments

• Auron471
  • PigNRun
    PigNRun Member Posts: 2,428

Despite me agreeing with what you are saying, wasnt Jake also from a rich family and then he moved to the forest?

• Auron471

well yeah, but he rejected the rich person lifestyle, and chose a very "poor" lifestyle. Also he isnt famous. He was someone who went under the radar.

• Umbrae_pk
    Umbrae_pk Member Posts: 482

It’s because the females are superior!

• JustAbillyMain
    JustAbillyMain Member Posts: 11

To be honest I prefer the survivors to be like average outcasts or have some sort of suffering in their life I agree that they gotta make the survivors seem less popular and famous.

• Xetoil
    Xetoil Member Posts: 94

I never noticed this, but actually I agree. Part of what gives the survivors their charm (in my opinion) is their plainness. Although I still like the designs of all of the celebrity-tier female characters, it's true that none of them are a David or a Meg in the sense that they are relateable, and DBD's survivor roster may start looking like a group of unlikely heroes instead of regular and unfortunately tortured souls if it continues.

I imagine these kinds of characters sell better though. Although I like the original cast. I'm not sure I would buy them if I didn't have to.

• Auron471
  • MissMora
    MissMora Member Posts: 28

loser Dwight club 😔

we need more plain jane gals pls

• MissMora
    MissMora Member Posts: 28

i think that an ordinary older woman who actually looks old should be the next survivor

• BenZ0
    BenZ0 Member Posts: 4,125

Cuz... girl power! They came with netflix in contact did you forgot Stranger Things? I guess they got the illness of the girl power genre xD

Jokes aside, yes agree. Kinda sad to see that the male characters tempt to be ... boring compared to most of the female survivors. I personally love jeffs style so he is next to dwight the only male survivors I really like. But I have nothing against alot of nice female survivors honestly xD

• Feyd
    Feyd Member Posts: 428

This is another "current year" issue. Male characters are allowed to be flawed, have depth, and be interesting.

If you make a female character, she needs to be a nearly perfect Mary Sue or you get flak from a certain, angry, blue-haired crowd that doesn't play the game in the first place.

• ZoneDymo
    ZoneDymo Member Posts: 1,946

Ermmm I guess we need to define famous here because yeah Jane is famous but Feng....maybe if you are into e-sports, I could not mention a single E-sports gamer myself.

And Kate? pls, she just plays some guitar, does not make her famous at all.

and Yui, again, sure, if you are part of that underground streetracing scene she might be known but other then that nope.

Heck im famous as well, if you just stick to asking people on the school where I work.....

• Umbrae_pk

Did you even read Kate's dare I say AMAZING lore? She goes on tore in her pick-up, performs on stage with THOUSANDS of people watching!

If that's not famous to you, then what is? 1M followers on TikTok? Hm. That'd actually make for an interesting survivor...

• ZoneDymo
    edited February 2020

I think you are kinda turning this around, its the females that need depth and be interesting because they have been the role of "love interest" or "princess" or "price" for a while.

We want females like Sarah Conner and Ellen Ripley.

And lets not be silly here, if you would bother to read the story of for example Yui you would she is is anything but perfect:

"Nagoya was not what Yui expected. She could only find low grade clerical work or minor jobs as a hostess."

• NoShinyPony
    NoShinyPony Member Posts: 4,570

Yup. Why do the girls have to dress in a similar style? You can wear a flower print dress and still be tough! 😩

• Umbrae_pk

I think you're on to something.

If a survivor (Nea) doesn't look as pretty as JLo they get called the Entity :( Poor Nea.

• feechima
    feechima Member Posts: 902
    edited February 2020

I doubt backstory really sells characters at the end of the day. It doesn't for me. Looks, cosmectics, and yes ethnicity are the real sellers here. I have already seen Lebanese players excited to be represented and play her. I just hope Zarina's future look is much more different than other females as she is looking like a copy of Meg, Nea, and Yui with the boots, leather jacket, and side shaved head.

• ZoneDymo

Again, idk, what is famous? We know Otzdarva, is he famous? well he is not a heck of a lot compared to Admiral Baroo and yet if you go on the streets and ask if anyones knows them, most won't but if you ask them who Brat Pitt is, they might.

Some girl touring and playing her guitar in bars, idk if you can call that famous.

• Atrushan88
    Atrushan88 Member Posts: 2,092
    edited February 2020

They've even started trying to put Nea into the crew of characters with extravagant looks. But it's because they're BHVR and have the same core values as the blue haired crowd Feyd mentioned.

You're counting only being able to find low grade clerical work and minor jobs as a hostess a flaw? That sounds like you're disrespecting low grade clerical work and hostesses. Males are considered love interests too. It's not a definition of the character, most romantic movies have two love interests. The male and the female, also generally called the male lead and the female lead. I don't see how that's degrading at all. Medieval tales have princesses, because, ya know, royalty. They also have princes and kings and queens. If you like medieval movies, you kinda have to expect to have a medieval setting, do you not? Don't know what you mean about "price", but anyways there are a ton of older movies with female heroes as well as comics.

As far as Yui's story goes, it's so ridiculous honestly. A cop told her that the guy stalking her was probably a nice guy and she'd probably marry him? In what world? I doubt that is even close to how anyone would react even in an older era of Japan, let alone a more modern day one(her clothes look fairly newer). The whole thing is so bad that it's literally just <insert rabid blue hair crowd's name> fan fiction. I'd rather read Jake's story than hers, at least it makes sense.

• Marble_Index
    Marble_Index Member Posts: 55

WHY IS THERE NO BLONDE MALE SURVIVORS?! :'''(

• ClickyClicky
    ClickyClicky Member Posts: 3,536

I’m convinced that Claudette was ex CIA black ops with her sneaking skills.

• thenegativone
    thenegativone Member Posts: 254

The last time the devs made an average female character was Nea. They tried to make a unique character with an interesting past and show that not all women all come from a mold of long hair barbie dolls. But the community ######### on Nea cuz she wasnt hot enough proving this community didnt care much for backstory as long as the chick looked good.

• TheGameZpro3
    TheGameZpro3 Member Posts: 699

I know right, we need more relatable female survivors.

I always say main Ace because of his looks, when it isn't... I main him cause he has poor spending habits and a gambling problem, just like me.

• Auron471

i mean, i think they can write an "average" female character and still have them look good.