So, the hatchet can hit you without touching you, great.

Options

Twice on the same match this BS happened. How is it fair that I get it by nothing?

Comments

• fcc2014
    fcc2014 Member Posts: 4,388
    Options

Are you on XBOX? I only ask because PC, PS4 and Switch have had dedicated servers and yes this happens more frequent than before.

• Archimedes5000
    Archimedes5000 Member Posts: 1,620
    Options

Have you seen the lastest dev stream? They explain pretty clearly that their hit boxes are #########.

So bad that you need "AimDressing" on melee so that hits look normal, and they dont work on Huntress because it was designed to work only on melee, they didnt even consider ranged attacks.

When was Huntress released again? 2 thousand years ago? And what? We have a hitscan killer in the lastest PTB?

• TheChinCollector
    TheChinCollector Member Posts: 54
    Options

He’s not hitscan but his spear moves fast enough that it comes close.

• Archimedes5000
    Options
  • yandere777
    yandere777 Member Posts: 728
    Options

Aim dressing is there so hits that connect actually look like they connect. And thats so noticable because 360s.

• HellDescent
    HellDescent Member Posts: 4,883
    Options

Because their servers are garbage

• Archimedes5000
    Options

And why is there a need for it? Because the hitbox is bigger than a survivior. So without it, you could hit air, and according to the hitbox, it would be a hit. Aim Dressing is there to make the hit look clean, even though it was caused by a hitbox that is too big.

• huntressmain03
    huntressmain03 Member Posts: 117
    Options

Xbox has dedicated servers now too, I am personally a Huntress main and a lot more hatches are hitting...hmm

• JC316
    JC316 Member Posts: 693
    Options

It's a win some, lose some with the hitboxes in this game. For every time you think it shouldn't hit, the killer misses one that he thinks he shouldn't. It all evens out.

• ABannedCat
    ABannedCat Member Posts: 2,529
    Options

Hit detection is clientside for the killer, to avoid forcing them to lead their shots/hits according to latency and putting high ping at disadvantage. This logically means that you can get hit from far away on the survivor screen. Thats just the nature of dedicated servers.

And before you ######### about it, near every ever shooter game nowadays uses the same system.

• fcc2014
    fcc2014 Member Posts: 4,388
    Options
  • Auron471
    Auron471 Member Posts: 1,310
    Options

not always. Ive met a few huntresses and said to them in the end game chat "I got hitboxed at the tree". then they said "Yeah i saw that too". So its not 100% latency. Its just the fact that DbD barely functions.

• ColgateAdvancedWhite
    Options

Hatchet hit boxes are huge

• Joao_Bandicoot
    Joao_Bandicoot Member Posts: 286
    Options

Without having the screen on her side I can only assume that was the case, I'm not 100% sure just favored towards that assumption.

• SquidFacedMan
    SquidFacedMan Member Posts: 148
    Options

Makes sense when you consider the absolute ridiculous size of the survivor hitbox. The head area is like 5 heads wide. This is from the recent dev stream btw. I'm all for simplicity but the size of these hitboxes needs to be reshaped/reduced. This coupled with latency ensures you're gonna have a bad time.

• PrettyFaceKate
    PrettyFaceKate Member Posts: 1,776
    Options

Dedicated servers are simply a sugar-coated pill made by bhvr to quieten the community that had been moaning about p2p, acting as if servers would dbd's savior. The current implementation is obviously as a server relay on a still-p2p model. The only effect is that killer's and survivors' real pings are now hidden to each others in the lobby, decreasing dodging.

• AlsendDrake
    AlsendDrake Member Posts: 103
    Options

Also, iirc, hatchets have their own "capsule" that's a full sphere, so it's like throwing a canonball.

They tried to make the hatchet hit detection match the hatchet itself at one point but in doing so somehow made the hatchets just phase through survivors on direct hits sometimes and had to reverse it iirc

• leyzyman
    leyzyman Member Posts: 355
    Options

I would disagree with the statement saying the devs said hitboxes suck.

From what I heard, the yuh said hitboxes are working fine, but latency is the issue. They plan to do something to fix it. Let's hope it doesn't change to much.

I think that survivor hitpill is fine, but huntress' throwing axes are kinda dumb.

• Kai6864
    Kai6864 Member Posts: 377
    edited February 2020
    Options

Well this hit looks fine to me. I think about it like this - the hitbox is a capsule as the devs put it - the running animation makes it look like you’re leaning forward but actually the capsule is the same as if you were standing still. If you picture yourself standing upright in this image, the hatchet would hit pretty nicely. Then after that there’s the whole ‘latency’ issue (someone has already talked about this above ^^)

• SquidFacedMan
    Options

The biggest problem here with the "slashbox" is that it isn't even in the centre of the character. It's behind and to the left. This is probably what is exacerbating "bs" hits. Because while it's working fine, it doesn't visually match what you are seeing on screen (never mind taking latency into account). Can't the boxes be moved so that the majority of it sits consistently within the character?

Taking Claudette above as an example and attempting to extrapolate that onto the image above. Assuming all of these hitboxes have the same centred problem you could probably see why the game thinks this is a hit, taking into account latency on either side.

Would the game still have registered this as a hit or a close miss as it should be? Obviously Yui's head here is nearer the left edge of the box but heads will move within that close capsule, when she turns to the right for example she will still be within it.

As for the significant height difference in the hitbox. Found this scale image online. Obviously the problem will be creating a fair hitbox for the game with great differences in character models with no difference in character ability. Small characters generally have the advantage of being able to hide better, Claudette the greatest example of this. I don't think there is a way to really change this without further biasing smaller characters.

Over 1 million hours in paint.

• Bingbongbong
    Bingbongbong Member Posts: 202
    edited February 2020
    Options

Hitbox size is fine, If you were to have accurate hit boxes where the weapon actually hs to touch the survivors model it'd be incredibly hard to get hits You'd need to rework the game. The problem is Latency.

• SquidFacedMan
    Options

It's clearly not just latency. You didn't even read my post. You can account for latency with accurate hitboxes. The hitboxes are currently sitting in weird positions. The majority of Claudette isn't even in the centre of that hitbox.

• Archimedes5000
    Options

This is a picture by devs, that explains bullshit hits with hatchets vs injured surviviors. To me it screams "NOT FINE" but im not sure about you.

And this is with 0 latency

• Archimedes5000
    Options

This whole "biased towards smaller characters" is just dumb.

Would you rather have working hitboxes and give small characters an advantage, or have unfair game for EVERYONE because bullshit hits.

Devs are just too lazy to do a proper hit detection, its all just excuses.

"Aim dressing", huge hatchet hitbox, "fair for all surviviors", these things are all here to justify and hide bad hitboxes.

• leyzyman
    leyzyman Member Posts: 355
    edited February 2020
    Options

Oh, I didnt known that is something drawn up by the devs themselves. That is really how they show it?!

Alright, I can agree with you on that.

• SquidFacedMan
    Options

From the dev stream example the killer sees himself as 1 meter from the survivor, but the survivor sees the killer as 3 meters away. Assuming they are moving forward at their fastest rates.

Fastest killer movement is 4.6m/s

Survivor movement is 4m/s

Taking what the killer sees as true.

To move 1 meter takes the killer 0.217 seconds (217ms), in that time the survivor has moved 0.869 meters. This is the distance between them.

Taking what the survivor sees as true.

To move 3 meters takes the killer 0.652 seconds (652ms), in that time the survivor has moved 2.608 meters. This is now the distance between them.

Bearing in mind that this is simple an off the cuff example here that is being over-analysed, we'd need to see more data to actually figure out what the tolerances are for hit detection and latency. Given the consistently inconsistent experience with DBD the tolerances seem to be far too large both for latency and this is being exacerbated by janky hitboxes.

In the dev stream the figure of 150ms was the amount that came up the most. 150ms is not a decent level of latency to be working around. This is considered laggy by most game standards. Anything over 100 is usually pretty unplayable. 150 ping gets you autokicked/disconnected in several games. They tend to be shooters, yes but this entire game is about positioning and movement. It's has a need for accuracy similar to these games, even if not precisely the same.

• SquidFacedMan
    Options

I agree with your points but I'd actually like these capsule hitboxes to be in the centre of the character consistently before we advocate for anything adventurous like hitboxes that scale to characters.

• Archimedes5000
    edited February 2020
    Options

Well, it shouldnt even be a capsule in the first place...

Centering is not the only issue, it has to change when you are injured or doing gens, currently its the same at all times except for crouching.

Hitboxes dont match character models at all right now