Why does Surge have a cooldown?

Options

And this is a genuine question. Whats the point of this cooldown attached to an already mediocre perk? Surge doesn't work on already kicked/Surged gens so downing 2 people wont even make the gen explode twice. And even then 16% isn't crazy strong if that interaction did even work. Surge having a cooldown doesn't really make any sense as you cant surge the same gens so the cooldown is pointless.

Maybe survivors getting hit by multiple surges because they keep touching the gens, but thats the survivors fault and they should know that you have surge after a bit into the game. And honestly if 2 people get downed in the same area thats already a terrible situation for survivors and that almost never happens. In my opinion the cooldown doesn't really make any sense and shouldn't be a thing. Thanks for reading! P.S please let surge work with overcharge or killer power downs.

Comments

• Ksoni
    Ksoni Member Posts: 607
    Options

I don't bother the cooldown, i think basic attack to activate is unnesessary

• StardustSpeedway
    StardustSpeedway Member Posts: 882
    Options

I agree. It should not have a cool down at all.

• mylesmylo
    mylesmylo Member Posts: 354
    Options

They are teaching you to count numbers

• White_Owl
    White_Owl Member Posts: 3,786
    Options

I don't know why it has it, but I know it shouldn't. Surge is more a QoL perk that allows to not waste time kicking gens, with the litte bonus of the additional regression and a bit of info. It's not strong enough to justify a cooldown.

• Maníaco_da_garrafa
    Options

Because The Game exists, that's it.

• TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871
    Options

You can easily design Thrilling Tremors to avoid spamming by just making it similar to Pop Goes The Weasel. It activates for X seconds when a Survivor is put into the Dying State, and it only applies for the next time you pick up a Survivor. Sure, the tradeoff is that it doesn't proc if you grab someone, but I would totally be okay with that in exchange for no cooldown.

• MojoTheFabulous
    MojoTheFabulous Member Posts: 2,015
    Options

It certainly seems like a pointless thing for the Perk to have. Although I must say i'm more bothered that it only triggers for basic attacks.

• Dreamnomad
    Dreamnomad Member Posts: 3,683
    Options

They really should remove the cooldown. Even without a cooldown it wouldn't be a meta perk. But to answer your original question as to why it has a cooldown in the first place that is because BHVR plays it way too safe with new content. There are a lot of perks that could have been pretty neat but they just clog up the bloodweb and never get used because they are scared of making things too strong. And yes, you need to be concerned about "power-creep". But if you have a true understanding of this game then you should know where the line between overpowered and underpowered is.

• NuclearBurrito
    NuclearBurrito Member Posts: 6,807
    Options

Also power creep isn't as big of a deal as people make it out to be sometimes.

The issue is when it's hard to modify old content, such as with physical card games. But here the end result of power creep is just that everything ends up stronger to maintain balance with the existing strong things.

And that's not bad or unbalanced. It just is. Balance is relative.

• DrKnockers05
    DrKnockers05 Member Posts: 137
    Options

Damn good question.

This perk could be amazing. It genuinely has so much potential. Remove the cooldown, increased range, increased instant regression, have it activate for ALL downs, have it work with other gen perks (Overcharge, Pop Goes The Weasel, etc.) Implementing just ONE of these suggestions would be an improvement.

Instead, they limit it with a pointless 40 second cooldown, an almost useless Insta-regression rate that survivors can make back in the time it takes for you to hook the downed survivor, and a barely decent affected range, which can all only be activated with a basic attack down. Sure, Thrilling Tremors and Surveillance work well with Surge, but I heard regression perks don't work when Tremors blocks a gen which, if true, SUCKS for not only Surge but Ruin too.

Genuinely love this perk, but it's in dire need of some love from the devs.

• Biggs
    Biggs Member Posts: 286
    Options

better question is why surge consume pop charge while surge is activated ? devs have been told this milion times not even once they confirmed it ...@Peanits

• survivormain1105
    survivormain1105 Member Posts: 327
    Options

We survivors def don't mind that perk along others to not need a cooldown. 🙂

• MiktheSpik
    MiktheSpik Member Posts: 75
    Options

This physically pains me to read. How ignorant are you bro? Whats the draw back to bbq? To MaA? Pop? Cause im only seeing good things on those meta perks. Although i guess survs dont have any... Oh wait. No mither exists. Thats a useless perk. But i guess thats the only one.. Wait... Have you seen anyone run technician. Dont bother answering. I havent either.

• ninjamediness64
    ninjamediness64 Member Posts: 125
    Options

Aside from passive perks like M&A, many killer perks have a lot of counterplay to them. BBQ, for example, has several ways for survivors to avoid the aura reading effect entirely. My point is that meta perks like Unbreakable, DS, DH, Borrowed Time, Iron Will, Sprint Burst, Adrenaline, etc. give huge value with comparatively less counterplay on the killer's end.

• MegHasCuteFeet
    MegHasCuteFeet Member Posts: 369
    Options

Killer is not allowed to be the powerrole.

Btw Borrowed Time no restrictions at all lmfao.

• MigrantTheGreat
    MigrantTheGreat Member Posts: 1,378
    Options

Surge is practically PGTW and Infectious Fright put together and neither of those perks have cooldowns.

Thrilling Tremors cooldown makes since, but imo the cooldown last too long

• CosmicParagon
    CosmicParagon Member Posts: 1,070
    Options

Also keep in mind that Surge ONLY gives 8% regression, despite having the same wording as Overcharge. If it actually gave 18% regression, I could understand the long cooldown

• Primalux135
    Primalux135 Member Posts: 1,045
    Options

Who need technician when skillchecks actually doesnt need skill lmfao

• Primalux135
    Primalux135 Member Posts: 1,045
    edited February 2020
    Options

You remember who is the power role right? Btw yeah it does have a counter Its lockers if you mind to change one of the meta perks per disortion.

• KingFrost
    KingFrost Member Posts: 3,014
    Options

Surge having a cooldown is fine. It should effect a larger area, though. 32 Meters just isn't big enough. Maybe 40 meters?

• samination
    samination Member Posts: 312
    Options

Maybe one day they will change Surge as it's a pretty decent new perk that isn't too powerful and honestly doesn't need a cooldown.

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,460
    edited February 2020
    Options

Everyone's been telling them this. There are many perks, Surge included they aren't good enough to warrant their cooldowns at all.