Why are console players so scared of k/m being enabled?

Every time I see keyboard / mouse being enabled for console as a suggestion people seem to find a reason how it would make the game unfair it unfun and give killers an unfair advantage

Comments

• ZoneDymo
    ZoneDymo Member Posts: 1,946

Ignorance for the most

• Elk
    Elk Member Posts: 2,267

There are potatoes on every platform. So for me I'm okay with it. I really doubt every K/M user would become god-tier if they were to use them. Some might play better with it and some might be worse. They can even be the same "Skill" wise.

• Seanzu
    Seanzu Member Posts: 7,526

The only issue I can see is that they may have trouble against certain killers Nurse because she can flick to turn around faster than console players are used too, same with Oni, and then they'll probably also go against some substantially better huntress' but I know people who exclusively play survivor on controller and they're some of the best survs I know.

• ALostPuppy
    ALostPuppy Member Posts: 3,398

It would definitely help console killers a lot. Console survivors will finally be aware that Nurse and Huntress are actual killers that do things, and it would be a good challenge for them. The advantage for mouse over joystick for survivor is pretty minimal. A lot of survivors play with a controller on PC and they do just as well as kb/m survivors, so there really isn't much of a reason to not let console players use a kb+m, it would only be a positive

• YaiPa
    YaiPa Member Posts: 1,929

because it would give a lot more advantages than playing with the joypad. Since turning with the mouse is much easier, faster and you can directly control the pace of it, every time you want, while moving a stick is a lot slower and lacks of time reaction.

for example, one of the easiest hit a nurse can land is hitting a survivor after he drops a pallet at the other side of the said pallet. If this is very easy on PC, almost guaranteed, it's not the same. doing it with the stick.

even survivor movements would be much harder to track with k/m, but survivors movements and turns have been so ######### up for months, so I don't even know.

• PigMainClaudette
    PigMainClaudette Member Posts: 3,842

I'm very traditional with something like this, since I've been playing console games for almost 18 years now, all starting with Crash Team Racing on the original Playstation. I play console because I don't want to play M&KB, and I like the feel of a controller. It's also going to have an overflow effect if some games start to have it as a feature.

It will start with DbD, then CoD players will complain and it gets enabled on there, it continues to something like Overwatch with a more competitive scene and then even Rainbow Six: Siege where they are highly competitive, and controller vs. M&KB gameplay is a very different story. Console as a whole is slower and more methodical in Siege, compared to the twitchy headshot focused gameplay of PC.

Consoles don't have THAT much going for them compared to PC, and it almost feels like an invasion of our space. Yes, there are controllers for PC, but they are also generally 3rd party and basically unlicensed. I can't use my Microsoft wireless Xbox One controller on my PC.

I also like that there is a slightly different meta between PC and Console. There are enough Hillbillies to the point that he is our Nurse, especially when I first hit Purple ranks. Some killers are more viable on console, some are far worse. There are also good and oppressive Huntress and Nurse players on console, but they are more rare, and after versing them I'm fine with them staying that rare.

• FriendlyMate
    FriendlyMate Member Posts: 10

You know Overwatch and Call of Duty both have KBM support on console. f anything Dead by Daylight is the best game to enable this support on because of its casual environment allowing once nonplayable killers to be played again.

• PigMainClaudette

This is news to me, not that I play Overwatch anymore and despise CoD multiplayer. Last time I heard, it was still a bannable offense.

And it's also as I originally said. Different killers are viable on console and I like it that way. It also means thatI don't have to fall back in the meta survivor build.

• Hoodied
    Hoodied Member Posts: 13,019

Some killers are actually better with kbm, nurse and huntress are great examples of this.

• Mak0
    Mak0 Member Posts: 251

Because a good player with keyboard/mouse can destroy any controller player but if you dont know how to use one effectively you're still going to be playing as if you had a controller probally worse

• EvilJoshy
    EvilJoshy Member Posts: 5,295

In a shooter I could understand but this game? K/M wouldnt make much of a difference.

• TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871

The way I see it, adding kb/m as a choice for consoles means that those consoles are now a little closer to being on-par with the PC version, which can only be a good thing.

• Archimedes5000
    Archimedes5000 Member Posts: 1,620

No?

Survivior on controller is better than on mouse and keyboard

• PigMainClaudette

I said that I like other killers being viable because of console, not others being unplayable. 360's don't work THAT much at higher ranks. You can also balance console and PC separately.

Invasion of my space is that console is just the place for controllers, more casual and keeping a level playig field since controllers aren't as likely to be super sensitive.

Console is also not easy mode, killers are not handicapped, and I have zero clue where you got that idea from. Maybe it is on PS4, but not Xbox. Console has it's own issues, so don't come at me with that PC elitist attitude. It's statements like yours that make me want to continue keepig console and PC separate. If you're that desparate for M&KB on console, then just get a PC with cross-play.

I was able to climb to red last season only using one meta perk on one of two builds. This means that the "meta build" isn't exactly nessecary.

• TAG

If the DBD devs were willing to balance separately, they would have done so by now. KB/M is just an easier, safer way to actually balance the console versions a little better.

• NMCKE
    NMCKE Member Posts: 8,243

Hey Senzu, wouldn't that be solved by giving consoles higher sensitivity options? 🙂

• xBEATDOWNSx
    xBEATDOWNSx Member Posts: 636

Nah. I'm good without MnK on Dead By Daylight. I played various games on PC for years before moving back to console with the 360 and I can definitely say, using a mouse will always be easier than using a stick. Your aim is so so so much better with mouse compared to a stick. It would definitely be an unfair advantage.

Now, if they implemented crossplay between the consoles.. that should have happened. Hell, if they turned it on clear across the board but had an option where you could choose to opt in with PC players or not, that would be even better.

• onip3
    onip3 Member Posts: 13

I think they should increas controller sens that would be good

• PigMainClaudette

So is adding cross-play. Then you don"t have to worry about M&KB on console.

• LlamaArmour
    LlamaArmour Member Posts: 75

As someone who plays controller on PC (personal preference), and also owns the game on console; I can confirm that it makes a huge difference.

Survivor becomes slightly easier on keyboard because the movements are less fluid, making you harder to predict vs killers like Huntress.

Killer becomes a lot easier because for some unknown reason the sensitivity is very low on controller compared to M/K, i.e. when I use a mouse, not only am I more accurate, but I can also move my camera faster- which makes it easier to track survivors that move erratically.

• JPLongstreet
    JPLongstreet Member Posts: 5,773

It's not just the sensitivity of m/k compared to a controller, but the framerate drops so prevalent on an Xbox1 make separation necessary. The machine has never been optimized for DBD and is incapable of the more consistent connections of a PC, nor sensitivity. The ded servers, which I believe are still down for Xbox, made this even worse. Perhaps the next gen Xbox can handle DBD better dunno, but as is a killer like Nurse will remain the least effective no matter what you are flickin with. As for cross-platform a PC Nurse for example would likely chew all Red Rank Surves up foreva. Coulda swore TydeTime tried a console Hag and condemned the whole experience...

• PigMainClaudette

You add cross-play across all platforma. You then say, you pick a platform, you pick your controller type.

PS4 and Xbox use their more traditional controllers, Switch hss the joycons and PC has M&KB.

• TAG
    edited March 2020

That doesn't fix the problem, though, because certain Killers still are much worse on console due to control limitations. Adding kb/m DOES fix the problem.

• PigMainClaudette

Does it though? What if I don't WANT to verse M&KB players on console?

And how doesn't my solution fix the problem?

• K1LLR0CKNR0LL
    K1LLR0CKNR0LL Member Posts: 176

I wish K/M was a thing on ps4.

• TAG
    edited March 2020

What if I want to play Killers that struggle on console because no kb/m? Gotta consider pros/cons and figure out what has the highest benefit.

Your solution doesn't make those killers less of a struggle on console.

• PigMainClaudette

Learn? Make a free alternate account to practice on? Change your sensitivity? Not try to get Huntress headshots?

I've been playing a bit of Nurse on a secondary account on Xbox. Yes, it is extremely difficult, but I walk into a match knowing that I'm going to have a hard time. I've had SO MANY times where I should have hit but I didn't and I see that as more of a Nurse lunge issue than a console player issue.

• TAG

None of those really fix the problem. That's just a "deal with it" kind of answer, which can be applied to facing kb/m (except you have the option to use kb/m as well).

Yes, it is extremely difficult, but I walk into a match knowing that I'm going to have a hard time.

The kb/m solution aims to fix this problem.

• K1LLR0CKNR0LL
    K1LLR0CKNR0LL Member Posts: 176

News to me too. Last I checked the Xim and similar products were the only way and I know Sony will definitely ban you for using one and so will most developers. Respawn Entertainment and Blizzard have been trying to find a way to shut them down for a while.

• memiieko
    memiieko Member Posts: 187

In my opinion it'd be balanced if the sensitivity for killers on console could be raised a lot and give people more flexibility. @Peanits 👀👀

• PigMainClaudette

So we have two "just deal with it" answers.

You also left out the part where I said my Nurse issues were character based, not platform.

• DarKStaR350z
    DarKStaR350z Member Posts: 715

I honestly think it’s an all or nothing situation.

You either allow console users to also use a mouse, or don’t include it.

The difference is the usual control system, on PC everyone uses mouse to operate the PC so if you decide to use a controller knowing it puts you at a disadvantage then that’s your decision; however controller is the norm for console and those who choose to buy a mouse would do so because it gives them an advantage over almost everyone else and not everyone would have it as an option for various reasons.

Those of you who are trying to suggest there is no advantage to using a mouse over a pad, I can’t understand how you can’t see it; although I admit for the most part that in DbD the advantage is smaller than other games where precision is important, it’s still significant.

I guess if you could enable/disable playing against people using it (CoD does this atm afaik) I couldn’t see the problem, but BHVR have said they don’t want to split the playerbase up with seperate queues in the past iirc.

• TAG
    edited March 2020

One of them actually fixes a problem, so...

Also, there are platform-based issues with the Nurse that kb/m would go a reasonable distance to solving.

• PigMainClaudette

Does it though? Does it fix the problem? I don't think so.

And I don't see how M&KB will fix problems like my lunge not hitting what it should. I don't see how M&KB will fix an issue of holding the charge just that bit too short and teleporting to a wall, rather than past it. All I see your solution doing is enraging a lot of console players, who have always been controller only and banned M&KB users for years now.

My solution merely maintains the status-quo. My solution also opens WILLING console players to go up against M&KB users in the form of PC players.

• TAG
    edited March 2020

Yes. Yes it does. It allows players to have much more precise control over camera move it, which can be relevant for certain Killers.

Also, what you're describing is a separate issue altogether. kb/m not fixing that specific problem isn't really a strike against adding kb/m.

I don't see a good enough reason to maintaining the status quo compared to the benefit gained.

• PigMainClaudette

Again, my solution ALSO gives said benefit while allowing people to have the choice of cross-play. People have said before that cross-play should be an option.

And my problem won't be fixed by M&KB, my problem which is the only problem I've found with a controller with one of these "precision" characters, and should therefore be disregarded. Ok. Sure.

As a player in general, I'm having a hard enough time with poor matchmaking, people abusing their power with overuse of killer powers/camping/tunnelling or general perk abuse like Borrowed Time bodyblocking, lag-switching issues since Dedicated Servers were a nightmare on Xbox and now you want to introduce a new problem for me to face. Let's fix the damn game before we add more issues for people to worry about, shall we?

• TAG

No it does not? You are saying that console players are still stuck using controllers, no? If I am misunderstanding that, please let me know.

I never said it should be disregarded. If that issue exists, it should absolutely be fixed. It's just not relevant to this particular discussion.

We can do both, can we not?

• GHOSTfaceP3
    GHOSTfaceP3 Member Posts: 1,364

i want it on console lol the only reason people don’t want it is because they don’t like change and wanna 360 killers easily with this they actually have to try and learn loops better

• AlbinoViera
    AlbinoViera Member Posts: 169

Personally, I think Keyboard & Mouse support would be great for this type of game. Players that do better with a controller can use a controller, players that are better with keyboard & mouse can use that instead. Let's face it, some people prefer being able using PC controls, myself included, and some prefer using controller. I don't see any downsides to it, honestly. I see a lot of people saying something silly like like how it would give an unfair advantage to killers, but they're basically saying killers have an unfair advantage on PC in general. I can say for certain, that is not the case.

• PigMainClaudette

But why should I have to go against M&KB against my will? THAT's what I'm fighting against. People have always had the option of going to PC with a controller. I know that the opposite can be argued, but it's such a huge advantage in a majority of games.

There are just too many issues I see with this change and in the game in general before we add things like M&KB console support. So, let's look over some of them, shall we? Just a quick overview.

Huntress - Broken hitboxes in general. Now add lag issues. Huntress players do fine. Possibly a little worse than PC, but they also get more axe hits than hatchet.

Hillbilly & Oni - Flicks have never been a thing on console. We've had consistent curving instead. Now I have to take a gamble as to which one my opponent is using? I've also said before that I've versed Hillbillies like PC has Nurses and I'm over versing him. This will bring him back in a surge of popularity.

Nurse - Nobody plays her, but those who do at a high level are already extremely oppressive. Full red lobby, except me. One gen done. Corn map too. Has also happened on the Asylum. Only games I can recall.

Deathslinger - No PTB, can't comment. At least he has ironsights and doesn't rely that much on flick-shots since there is no headshot mechanic. He should be fine with a controller anyway.

• TAG

Because it brings the console versions and the PC version closer to each other, thus making it easier to balance both overall? Greater good and stuff.

• BeardedMenace
    BeardedMenace Member Posts: 215

Umm as much as I'm against Keyboard and Mouse coming to console or PC Console crossplay... You're definitely wrong. Both games support Keyboard and Mouse on console and have crossplay. I am always going against PC CoD players and I'll get stomped. But yet I'm a beast if I turn crossplay off and cut out Keyboard and Mouse players. You can tell they have a HUGE advantage. Just wanted to clear that up.

• PigMainClaudette

I never play a Call of Duty game, so I don't know OR care about that yearly re-released garbage. The last time I heard anything about Overwatch and M&KB was that it's a bannable offence, but if you have an article or something disproving me, then please do what nobody else has done and link it to me. Ubisoft and R6: Siege have also outright stated that it's a bannable offence for ages now.\

If you're going to try and prove me wrong, you need evidence. Not just saying that I'm wrong.

• MegaGamer_01
    MegaGamer_01 Member Posts: 172

I being a ps4 player am down for keyboard and mouse functionality for the game but I never really get why people think its an advantage. Its a keyboard with over 50 keys your not gonna all use and a mouse where you can do 180s and 360 which you can already do on console with the right sens and practice. This would be the section where someone would say "jUsT GeT GoOd" but what I say, if it does get enabled.

Adapt

• MegMain98
    MegMain98 Member Posts: 2,913

The sensitivity is much higher on keyboard and mouse and you’re not as limited. You can easily get 360’ed on console because you simply can’t turn as fast as survivors can and you’re much more limited with sensitivity. Sensitivity is SUPER low on console.

K/M is much more fluid and easier to use than a controller for killer. Survivor is basically the same.