Obsession target causes unwarranted tunnelling

I am not a DS user however the aggression I face because of being the obsession makes it feel like I'm the target of unwarranted aggression.

Comments

• LordEmrich
    LordEmrich Member Posts: 258

Well let's be serious here....I can search the map for another Survivor or I can get the one I can see through walls outta the way now. Makes sense to me.

• whammigobambam
    whammigobambam Member Posts: 1,201
    edited March 2020

I am not a OoO user either. I am rank 1 and rng makes me obsession quite often.

Anti tunnelling obsession perk when?

• LordEmrich
    LordEmrich Member Posts: 258

I thought they were referencing Object of Obsession. I saw the Decisive Strike part and and thought they were just saying.

• whammigobambam
    edited March 2020

So I'm forced to play victim every match to utilize a perk? No thnx

I shouldn't be forced to run a perk that has a 60 second wait time till death.

• MigrantTheGreat
    MigrantTheGreat Member Posts: 1,379

Hate to say it, but being obsession is random, not only that. They changed it to where people with DS conflict the killer with who has DS

• whammigobambam

I think survivors need a better incentive to not farm the obsession right off the hook. I'm tired of this tunnelling the obsession games.

• LordGlint
    LordGlint Member Posts: 8,351

Feel like some of that targeting COULD be from various obsession related perks. Like half the killer perks that are obsession related involved at least entering a chase with the obsession (dark devotion, remember me, PWYF).

• whammigobambam

There's plenty of reasons to target the obsession. Especially early to get rid of ds.

• whammigobambam
  • Dehitay
    Dehitay Member Posts: 1,725

The obsession is the least likely person to have DS. What other reasons are there? I can't think of any other than OoO let alone plenty of them.

• ermsy
    ermsy Member Posts: 580

I think all killer obsession perks apart from one promotes leaving the obsession alive until the end of the match.

Remember me would be the only one where you'd want to tunnel the obsession.

Also just because the survivor is the obsession doesn't necessarily mean that they have DS.

• xmenfanatic
    xmenfanatic Member Posts: 816

I think this is kind of a fun element to experience in the game. It periodically adds an extra challenge, and it also gives you some really great games to test your survivability and develop new techniques when on different maps. In general when I get tunneled it’s frustrating. But for some reason it doesn’t make me surprised. it can be fun to be playing Laurie strode, your killer is Michael, and you’re his obsession but survive to be the last player.

• AlsendDrake
    AlsendDrake Member Posts: 103

And even Remember Me now loses half stacks on obsession death iirc.

If you're the obsession, killer usually wants you to be the last one standing.

• ermsy
  • Steve0333
    Steve0333 Member Posts: 529

Most perks the killer uses incentives the killer to NOT tunnel the obession. Dying light, play with your food, save the best for last. Rancor only makes the killer target the obsession in the end game. So being the obsession actually protects you in many cases.

• Pizza_Dweet
    Pizza_Dweet Member Posts: 68

Play killer maybe and be one of those selfless heroes ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• TunnelVision
    TunnelVision Member Posts: 1,375

Not forgetting there are tomb challenges which involve the obsession.

• C3Tooth
    C3Tooth Member Posts: 8,266

I find its fun with Obsession status.

Its either you will be tunneled to death with OoO, Remember me, Rancor..

or the last one alive because Killer plays Myer perks.

• CashelP14
    CashelP14 Member Posts: 5,564

Killers don't tunnel just the obsession. If anything seeing an obsession means you could have ds which would scare them from picking you up. So don't panic about being the obsession, it'll make basically no difference.

• AlsendDrake
    AlsendDrake Member Posts: 103

I think it was a proposed change now that I think about it and look it up.

• Clevite
    Clevite Member Posts: 4,335

Could be that there is a lot of tunneling as is. Perhaps you are having a bad stretch of games where you are caught first, hence getting tunneled a lot. I can't imagine they are tunneling you just because you are the obsession. Besides the other reasons mentioned already.

• NullEXE
    NullEXE Member Posts: 1,632
    edited March 2020

TLDR; You're paranoid.

Killers don't tunnel you because you are the obsession. You realize how detrimental it is to tunnel the obsession? There are many perks that interact with the obsession, but the amount that profit off tunneling the obsession is greatly outweighed by the amount that don't. In addition of the few perks that don't interact with the Obsession at all, but instead just switches the obsessions and gives a benefit for a short time.

If the killer chases you, everyone can see you're being chased.

If the killer tunnels you, removing you sooner would most likely make a whole perk the killer has mute.

Survivors have only perks that greatly benefit themselves, which is why they are more likely to become the obsession. If you are running Decisive Strike, Object of Obsession, Mettle of Man, or Sole Survivor (TBL) - then it's your own fault you're the obsession, but at the same time you are safe for being the obsession because the Killer would most likely want to save you for the last, or leave you to slug in case of DS anyways.

There is no obsession in a match, unless a perk being using by the Killer or Survivor requires the obsession clause, and if you are not running any of the survivor obsession perks, and neither is the killer (Because let's be real most killer obsession related perks are not exactly meta). Then you can't possibly be the obsession. The obsession will always go to the survivor running the obsession perk before any other survivor.

Most killers would more often not even care if you're the obsession at all - unless one of their perks directly interacts with the obsession, and even then. I remind you - most would rather keep you alive instead of being dead.

Here's a list of all the obsession related perks, and if the killer would rather you remain alive or dead.

Survivor Perks that increase your chances of being obsession (5); Decisive Strike (Dead¹), Mettle of Man (N/A²), Object of Obsession (Dead), Sole Survivor (N/A), For The People (Dead)(TBL).

1. He will most likely let you slug for being the Obsession, to avoid getting hit by DS and taking a hit to their Chaser Emblem.
    2. To be fair, this is one of the weakest perks a survivor can take, because it's hard to meet it's requirement to activate. However being the obsession protects you from being tunneled because of the fear of DS, since Mettle of Man is a hidden deterent until you ignore an attack.
    3. Being the obsession already makes you unlikely to be tunneled because by chasing you: all the survivors know a survivor is in chase, and the fear of Decisive Strike (Unless you are running OoO, then the killer wants to eliminate you ASAP).

Killer Perks that make an obsession (9); Dark Devotion (Alive), Dying Light (Alive), Furtive Chase (N/A¹), Nemesis (N/A²), Play with Your Food (Alive), Rancor (N/A - Dead³), Remember Me (Alive - Dead^4), Save the Best for Last (Alive), Dead Man's Switch (Dead)(TBL).

1. The Obsession changes to whomever saves you from hook, and the killer will most likely want to tunnel them to build more stacks on Furtive Chase.
    2. The Obsession changes to whomever stuns the Killer. He will most likely tunnel them as they now have the Oblivious status for 60 seconds, and is revealed for 4 seconds.
    3. The Killer will ignore the Obsession until the last gen is completed, then, and only then will the Killer most likely hunt, and tunnel the Obsession.
    4. The Killer can actually easily tunnel you with Remember Me, but wouldn't kill you until they max their stacks (4 Basic Attacks).

Six perks the Killer could be taking either the Killer wouldn't care if you're the obsession, or it's far superior for the killer to keep you alive, at least until the very end or a goal is met.

The only reason why the Killer would tunnel you at all other than what i've described and thoroughly explained above is if they were farming the bloodpoint bonuses you get for interacting with the obsession. However doing so would also cost more bloodpoints by the end of the match for ignoring the rest of the game, ending up with less bloodpoints that match than if you just played normally.

Post edited by NullEXE on
  • MegaWaffle
    MegaWaffle Member Posts: 4,172

If the killer is using a "obby" perk and no one on the survivor team is using an obby perk then you have a 1/4 chance of getting it. Start using DS if the problem is as prevalent as you say, DS is the anti-tunnel perk.

• madsweeney84
    madsweeney84 Member Posts: 31

It is literally in the definition of that temporary title. You will be ok. This just seems like a random thought thrown out to cause another forest fire of survivor mains complaining about something they think is "too OP" and " they should change". Just play the game and adapt.

• whammigobambam
    edited March 2020

The killers obsession perks like pwyf, rancor when you know the gen is going to pop, but mostly tunnel the obsession when the killer didn't bring a obsession perk. To get rid of the ds.

The only thing I want is for ds to not have such a strong end game so killers aren't tunnelling early to counter it.

Or else let me not be the obsession without having to bring a key. The ds tunnelling is not a game I'm interested in playing

If the unique wedding ring was a item instead of an add-on and it came with no lose on death add-on the unique wedding ring would make sense. But as a key add-on it just doesn't.

Post edited by whammigobambam on
  • Archimedes5000
    Archimedes5000 Member Posts: 1,620

Doesnt matter if you are using DS, killer HAS to assume you have it

• ermsy

I'm confused, how does pwyf or rancor promote tunnelling? If anything nearly all killer obsession promotes avoiding the obsession until late game.

• whammigobambam

Pwyf allows the killer to guarantee catch you. rancor guarantees a kill if timed correctly. If your obsession proves to be bad at looping you think the killer is not going to take advantage and be on them the whole match?

But I wasn't responding to how these things are like tunnelling I was stating reasons you are targeted as the obsession.

• whammigobambam

I know he does and it further emphasizes my point. Being the obsession comes with a target that has a built up aggression towards it that non obsession perk users are not used to. In this way it forces us to play this game wishing we had ds. Making ds imperative in a way.

• Liisjak
    Liisjak Member Posts: 40

"Tunneling a.k.a I'm bad at survivor so I get caught all the time" - Getting the weak player out is a good strategy.

• whammigobambam

Sure if the weakest player is the one that doesn't run 4 second chance perks they are definitely the weakest. Tunnelling is not defined as a good strategy to be frank if the killer tunnels me three others will be escaping. Not at anytime am I enjoying being driven to exhaustion and defeat eventually getting face camped because why? The killer was bad or the survivor is tired of being tunnelled run down and face camped. Top it off I have a target on my back now because some random has ds and I have to play this ds game now where I am subject to the killers decision and more often then not the killer decides let's kill the obsession because that guy will ds me when the gates open. I'm done on this topic I feel as if no matter what I say some guy here has some smart Alec retort when my initial thoughts on it was to alert bhvr that obsession target is something that should be an opt out option due to the fact that tunnelling is going on everytime lately due to the ds usage. I'm also very curious why ds users aren't guaranteed the obsession status due to this volatile type gameplay it comes with.

• Dehitay
    Dehitay Member Posts: 1,725

After reading through this, I can assure you with full confidence that you don't understand how killers think. I'm kind of surprised by how many people in this thread seem to think that DS increases your chance of becoming the obsession when it's the exact opposite. I know BHVR definitely doesn't help with their inaccurate perk description, but anybody who's played the game enough should know better. Any good killer will know that the obsession is the least likely person to have DS. In your case, it's even more confusing cause in the same post you say you're the obsession cause a random brought DS and yet simultaneously say the killer is going to target you because they'll think you have DS.

At this point, it's kind of obvious that your constantly getting tunneled is nothing more than your personal dellusion as any evidence you bring up to support that theory is just factually untrue.

• Peasant
    Peasant Member Posts: 4,104

I know how you feel believe me. My advice? If it is too much of a problem bring a broken key with a Wedding Ring. That should help reduce your odds of being the obsession without touching your perks.

• ermsy

A killer targeting you at the end of the match but leaving you alone for the other 90% of the match isnt really something to complain about. Beside with rancor you know in advance that the killer has it and can play accordingly