Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

The new killer is meh in both gameplay and design

DontNerf
DontNerf Member Posts: 990

I have unending praise for the design team of dbd as they make amazing characters and monsters but this new killer Mr Deathslinger is just boring! Im very sure that his only point is to draw in people from a FPS background, Theres nothing wrong with that but this killer just feels really underwhelming the PTB shows that he's weaker than huntress in almost every way. Not only is he weak but his design is just dull Ooooo a cowboy yay!! Really?! A cowboy? After Demogorgon i thought we could see some really cool and interesting killers such as a more monster based killers maybe a Lycanthrope or a more etheral monster like a phantom or something other than a cowboy! What do you guys think?

thank you for reading

Comments

• DontNerf

Yeah understand that but for me his appearance is very underwhelming that and his harpoon is very similar to Roadhog. :)

• TheLastGreatStar
    TheLastGreatStar Member Posts: 1,002

I personally love his design. But I’m also a sucker for a good Western, so bringing that into the horror world is just incredible to me. I can’t really comment on his power until I try it out for myself. Visually speaking though, it looks cool.

• AntiJelly
    AntiJelly Member Posts: 1,155

He looks like old Revolver Ocelot from Metal Gear and he's a cowboy, some of my favorite things. Plus, way back when I did play Overwatch, I mained both Roadhog and McCree. This Killer is a dream come true.

• DontNerf

I do understand your point but a cowboy just doesnt do it for me thats just my opinion, thats why i made this thread to get everyone elses opinions

• TheLastGreatStar
    TheLastGreatStar Member Posts: 1,002

Have you seen some of the DLC outfits he has coming out? Some are really creepy looking. So you might start to prefer him when you see more of his looks. But you might just never like him and that’s okay too. I’ve never been a big Spirit fan, she just doesn’t do it for me. But I know I’m in the minority with that opinion. 😂

• DontNerf

I havent actually, i guess we shall have to see i hope his skins a cool looking!

• finitethrills
    finitethrills Member Posts: 617

He's basically a retread/homage to IDV's Game keeper. Sadly, game keeper is one of their weakest killers (or was anyway, they may have adjusted him finally). I like the undead cowboy idea. I like the harpoon idea. I feel like they would've been better being separate ideas, though. Creepy old whaler would have a very similar aesthetic, and fit the harpoon better. A lasso or noose would fit the cowboy better. Either one split that way would've made it easier to have the harpoon + secondary power in order to make the game play less bland, as well.

• DontNerf

I love the idea of a whaler! Idk why it just sounds really cool! THE CAPTAIN!

• Hoodied
    Hoodied Member Posts: 13,019

He isn't a weaker huntress, actually he is a stronger huntress in the right hands

He actually does something huntress can't do that makes chases easier, he limits the distance between him and the survivor, while huntress makes the survivors go farther with her power. While he may only have 1 shot, he is fully capable of reloading on the spot, unlike huntress who needs to open a locker to reload. His power also combines extremely well with exposure perks, such as Devour Hope, NoEd, and Haunted Grounds, whom huntress only has an add-on that one shots survivors down at the cost of 4 hatchets

• xCarrie
    xCarrie Member Posts: 982

Idk I like the look of him, I mean he is sort of an undead cowboy plus I like RDR so put two and two together lol.

The only thing that seems boring about him is his swing and clean animation. It’s just a little jab and a basic finger wipe, it would be cool if the jab had more force and the clean animation would be him checking out his gun and laughing or have him twirl his gun then a quick wipe. Other than that I love the way he looks!

• Deathslinger
    Deathslinger Member Posts: 570

heh heh heeeeh

• PigMainBigBrain
    PigMainBigBrain Member Posts: 1,893
    edited March 2020

He's way weaker than huntress even in the right hands. Huntress will just straight down you. This guy on the other hand.....takes 2 extra steps to the process of downing, and you get stunned.....

He also has terrible synergy with NoED and exposure perks. You're still taking 2 steps to get 1 down. He can't insta down with his harpoon.

• Sherry
    Sherry Member Posts: 227

I played on the ptb and noticed in the endgame chat from several of the killers that most of them loved him. Only one said, he didn't like him. I think they really like the idea of shooting a gun, although, it's not exactly a gun.

• EvilJoshy
    EvilJoshy Member Posts: 5,295
    edited March 2020

I haven't played as him. So take my opinion with a grain of salt. I think he looks cool. I agree he looks like his purpose was to hook the FPS crowd and after demo, you would think we would get more monster killers. His power looks cool but I feel he is a weaker huntress. His draw is faster but huntress doesn't require reeling in people to hurt them. If he hits someone, if he can reel them in without obstruction, he has to hit them then repeat the entire process to down someone. Huntress can easily hit someone with 2 hatchets or 1 hatchet followed by a melee. I feel this killer is going to be Huntress's version of Bubba. The only positive I see is he may have slightly better crowd control. If you see 2 survivors together he could shoot,reel,mend one then go after the other. The first survivor will be busy mending instead of going right back to the gen but that won't slow him down for long.

I predict the forums will still be filled with "Deathislinger is OP!" threads.

• Hoodied

Incorrect, his Harpoon attack is considered a basic attack, causing NoeD to instantly down the survivors, even saw people mention this that he can do it as when grappling a survivor with his UR add-on, it exposes the survivors if grappled over 15 meters

• PigMainBigBrain
    PigMainBigBrain Member Posts: 1,893

So the devs are contradicting themselves when they said they were going to differentiate M1 and killer powers so powers didn't stack perk effects?!?!

Yeah.....seems like something BHVR would do...

"Legion and Huntress have entered the call."

• Seanzu
    Seanzu Member Posts: 7,526

All I know is I'm going to have fun with Caleb, I'm going to put my best effort in, if he needs changes, he will get them, but for now, he's fun and I will enjoy playing him.

• Hoodied

Huntress gets better with Iron Maiden, so yes they actually are

• BigTimeGamer
    BigTimeGamer Member Posts: 1,752

He's a a Legion-Huntress hybrid

thats not a good thing in terms of power

• ZoneDymo
    ZoneDymo Member Posts: 1,946

Well...I like it, but I am hoping for some skins that radically change his appearance as well.

• Mattie_MayhemOG
    Mattie_MayhemOG Member Posts: 315

Until we know if there have been tweeks from the PTB you really can't say how strong he will be.

• BenZ0
    BenZ0 Member Posts: 4,125

Agree, I personally dont like his design, he doesnt look scary at all to me or disturbing. He is for me just a lucky luke for dbd honestly xD. But I mean, its just my personally view, I am sure there are many players out there that love him.

• Endstille
    Endstille Member Posts: 2,246

I am okay with the design but the gameplay does not interest me in the slightest, seems very easy to counter and he will struggle with gen/map pressure.

• doodledot
    doodledot Member Posts: 70

Ok maybe just a skinny eerie looking man with a cowboy hat isn't that interesting but the gameplay is so cool

• DBD_Pinhead
    DBD_Pinhead Member Posts: 763

Hey stop hating on Erron Black, I mean Jonah Hex, I mean Deathslinger. 😂

• Aldofer
    Aldofer Member Posts: 458
    edited March 2020

the design as good idea like the gun and specially the eye, look like a ghost in those idian legend but for the rest he look like you're weird uncle living in texas

gameplay wise he is fun but weak (and fun only if you like shooter)

• Withered
    Withered Member Posts: 71

Well, one good part is that atleast roadhog isn't already in DBD

I'm looking at you Leatherface

• Kongtwenty12
    Kongtwenty12 Member Posts: 140

But I mean why does that matter? He was still really fun to play as. I will acknowledge that he is a bit weak but that didn't make him any less fun.

• Trust_me_Im_a_Doctor
    Trust_me_Im_a_Doctor Member Posts: 29

Not going to lie, I got my expectations too high when I saw ptb footage and I mistook him for Jeepers Creepers, I thought we'd get our first flying killer and I was disappointed lol but he's interesting. I have heard that good survivors can dodge him easier than huntress and the stun is his drawback in that scenario.

• HectorBrando
    HectorBrando Member Posts: 3,167
    edited March 2020

I believe the design is good, (or at least it looks good from videos) but since most non licensed killers are based on common archetypes from slasher/horror movies and he isnt he does look out of place (I dont recall many zombie cowboy slasher movies).

P.D. I do welcome a more clean and less filthy killer, the last clean guys we had were Myers and Ghostface, every other killer is very dirty and probably smelly.

• scarslookgood
    scarslookgood Member Posts: 157
    edited March 2020

Deathslinger reminds me a lot of Eldred Jonas from the Dark Tower series, right down to the bad leg. He was my favorite character and I'm pretty delighted to have Deathslinger join the roster, even if his abilities are difficult to master. It'll be fun just to try something a little different, and I am so stoked for the map and his overall aesthetic.

I think the hard part is that horror is such an individualized taste, what scares or awesome one person falls flat with someone else. So while some of us Weird West/Deadlands niche fans are happy, others are underwhelmed.

I can understand what you mean, though, as the struggle mechanic with his harpoon seems a bit underpowered and prone wasting time.

• oh_0k
    oh_0k Member Posts: 712

Yeah his look is the generic cowboy look from the coat to the hat and even his face just seem unoriginal

• Johnble
    Johnble Member Posts: 175
    edited March 2020

He reminds me of the Creeper from Jeepers Creepers more than a cowboy. I'm on console so I can't speak to the gameplay other than what I've seen from watching Ohmwrecker though. He LOOKS like he could be fun but, at my skill level....