Tips for getting the stupid key challenge?

KingFrost
KingFrost Member Posts: 3,014

When I bring a key into a trial, the killer always seems to tunnel me. And when I happen to get away or avoid getting killed, they always camp the hatch and I'm unable to open it with my key without getting killed (usually by NoED). I'm sure this challenge isn't fun for killers getting tons of keys in their lobbies, but it's not much fun on the other side either. I would ignore the challenge if it didn't lock two challenges behind it. And I have to do it twice! I only have so many keys. And I can NEVER find the hatch when the hatch appears (unless I don't have a key, and then I'll run into it several times). Any tips for completing this ridiculous challenge?

Comments

• Heartbound
    Heartbound Member Posts: 3,255

I'm having the same issue. It's pretty hard to do so don't feel bad.

If you want to do it easier you probably need to be on comms with a survive with friends group. Four eyes are better than one.

For solos its entirely chance and puts a bullseye on your back. I think they really, really hate Jane to lock her entire story behind it. Its crazy.

• FilledPizza
    FilledPizza Member Posts: 392

Run Left Behind, wait for your team to die. Drop your key somewhere you can safely go back to, pick it up, and head to the hatch once the gates are powered.

• iBetClaudette
    iBetClaudette Member Posts: 299

I actually did a build that helped me escape the hatch seven times in a row. Kinda a selfish build but it works. Left Behind, Self Care, Urban Evasion, and Spine Chill. Take a hatch key with added time (just in case). Use Spine Chill to warn you about nearby killer. If killer closes the hatch in the end, use Left Behind to find it and reopen it. Don't confuse it with Nobody Left Behind. It's Left Behind

• HectorBrando
    HectorBrando Member Posts: 3,167
    edited March 2020

Had the same tunneling problem when equiping keys so I did it by using Plunderers, you wont show a key in the menu and once in the trial most killers wont notice you found one.

Main problem is even with Plunderers it might take some time to find a key in a chest.

• Mister_xD
    Mister_xD Member Posts: 7,669

use Plunderers Instinct.

if you bring a key, as youve already said, you get focussed down by the killer.

• CountVampyr
    CountVampyr Member Posts: 1,050
    edited March 2020

Also be sure to be hiding in a closet when the last player is hooked to avoid BBQ. The only danger is if they are running Iron Maiden or the Legion perk that senses you in a closet. If you can, move from closet to closet regularly to avoid crows. Wait for the killer to find the hatch first and then hopefully he’ll go patrol the gates and leave it alone.

But it’s been a few weeks since I completed the challenge in the interim this strategy is probably well known among killers so beware.

• Alice_pbg
    Alice_pbg Member Posts: 6,556

I got it in 3 tries.

Just played stealthy.

Worked for me 🤷‍♂️

• Angelicus23
    Angelicus23 Member Posts: 2,547

Remember that left behind also shows the aura of the closed hatch, not only opened

• KerJuice
    KerJuice Member Posts: 1,865

I wait till the lobby clock turns red, then I quickly equip my key and add-ons. Most killers are not paying attention at this point, and even if they do- at least they do not have enough time to equip Franklin's Demise.

• Kwikwitted
    Kwikwitted Member Posts: 641

Survivor: Equips overpowered item enabling early escape with only counterplay being tunneling.

Killer: Tunnels key holder.

Survivor: (Surprised Pikachu Face)

I feel like as a killer, as fun as Mori's are, I'd give them up in a heartbeat to stop having to worry about keys.

• Quake
    Quake Member Posts: 230

When you join a lobby dont hold anything and dont press ready,wait for the timer.In the last 10 seconds equip the the desirable item and addons.

At 5 seconds left you cannot change anything so you have 5 seconds to act.Works for me.

• thesuicidefox
    thesuicidefox Member Posts: 8,223

Plunderer's Instinct & Left Behind.

Rush chests. You should get a key every 8 chests or so.

Play normally. Killer doesn't know you have a key.

Look for hatch when gates power or when you are the last one left.

• darktrix
    darktrix Member Posts: 1,790

As a survivor I took Plunderer's Instinct...if you find a key hide it somewhere on the map (away from exit gates) or give it to some poor schmuk, I mean fellow survivor, and get it off his corpse later when you can use it. Though that can backfire on you it is better than making yourself a target from the start by bringing a key.

Or if you can try to make friends with the killer, that is usually the easiest way if it works. I once had all four survivors bring keys, I kid you not. I ended up just making friends (cause what else is there to do in that situation at least two have a high chance of escaping). We messed around awhile then I let them have the hatch shutting it between escapes.

Otherwise just patience, keep doing matches until the conditions are right.

• ChickenMcthicken_5
    ChickenMcthicken_5 Member Posts: 68

If you have Ash with Ashy Slashy puppet you can equip a key and it's barely noticeable XD. I did with him and the second time I did it with Bill with the perk Left Behind. You just have to play very stealthy and try to avoid the killer at all times. Use any notification perk, Alert or Spine Chill are the best for this I believe. Try to also throw in add ons for maps you know where they could possibly spawn, Badham Preschool, Auto haven Wreckers and The Game are decent examples of maps with braindead hatch spawns.