Dead by Daylight is unequivocally the worst game to be a new player in

Options
2»

Comments

• Snitz
    Snitz Member Posts: 97
    Options

Yep, and then they release statistics that make killers look overpowered.

• AChaoticKiller
    AChaoticKiller Member Posts: 3,104
    Options

I always recommend that new players should play kill your friends to learn perks and killer powers and after a week or two of this when they get decent to just do swf to get into at least rank 15. While they wont have the best perks they will still recognize perks they went against and can do decent without perks.

• Myodyne
    Myodyne Member Posts: 1
    Options

Played it once with a friend, we used to be super close.

Got frustrated. On first game, died first, didn't know what happened, what I needed to do. I don't know what I should do. I just spend the entire game in spec mode ranting about the game.

My friend was tried to calm me down.

Second game, I managed to find a generator, I screw up the qte. Killer comes, I kills me. I played 2 mins that game, got pissed.

I try to explain to her that I'm angry at the game not her. Got pissed, cut all communications with her.

I had a thing for her, our friendship was incredible.

2 years later I find out we both were thinking about getting together.

Worst game I have ever played, literally ruined a relationship.

• Eye66
    Eye66 Member Posts: 822
    Options

You'll just run into rank 1 swf and get bullied into utter oblivion, it's worse for new killers by far

• Nakedwildman
    Nakedwildman Member Posts: 198
    Options

as new player you say youre forced to play killer, to level up survivors....?

Even as "new survivor" without perks, you can easily m1.. and any person that needs a tutorial for learning how to m1, should be ashamed.

Yes devs, please make the game even more easy, so theres finally, if made, no point to play killer anymore...

• Nakedwildman
    Nakedwildman Member Posts: 198
    Options

they have done so many things, in favor of new players, that you must be blind by saying they only care about veterans because they absolutely dont.

• PigMainClaudette
    PigMainClaudette Member Posts: 3,842
    Options

Rainbow 6: Siege has a steeper initial learning curve than Dead by Daylight to me. And this is still on console. ANY From Software game is also going to kill you more times than DbD per hour.

From what I've heard too, there's also DOTA, LoL, WoW and CS:GO are also apparently really hard to get into.

D2 was also a lot easier to get into when it wasn't Free-to-Play and you were kinda forced into the Red War campaign.

Keeping up with Raids, Crucible and Gambit meta however is a different story and only for those who want to waste stupid amounts of time on the game. Personally, I don't. I just get my weekly stuff to stay at the highest power level.

• Tactless_Ninja
    Tactless_Ninja Member Posts: 1,791
    Options

Xcom will dumpster you with no ######### given.

Survival rates were so low that in the sequel you already lost.

• Thrax
    Thrax Member Posts: 974
    Options

It's funny having a growing player base and queue times only get longer.

• Seanzu
    Seanzu Member Posts: 7,526
    Options

What is he supposed to say? "We have no plans to make the game easier at the moment" Let people have fun dude, not everyone takes this game 100% serious, because it's a non-competitive GAME

• PeenutsButt3r
    PeenutsButt3r Member Posts: 695
    Options

Agree, even bloodpoints, every one of my friends that I invited to play DBD, quitted long ago cause they can't catch up with the grind

• Dustin
    Dustin Member Posts: 2,259
    edited March 2020
    Options

I somewhat agree but when I started I began in the Halloween Chapter update in 2016. There wasn't nearly as much to learn then as there is now and catching up in a game that constantly has content added to it can be overwhelming.

In my opinion BHVR could start by adding a bunch of simple 15-30 second videos that show up when you view a bio. Hovering over an icon will auto play a video demonstrating various ways a killer power or perk is used. That would be the quickest way to visually see how something works without getting your face kicked in a trial.

Evolve did something similar but it was upon loading into a game for the first time as that character.

Something like this would be welcome. (Video is separate tutorial section not load in videos btw)

• Demogordon_Ramsay
    Demogordon_Ramsay Member Posts: 1,503
    Options

I don’t think it’s too much to ask for at all, asking the developers of your game to reply in a real, meaningful way to criticism. Maybe address the issue, or if they disagree, try to defend their stance. Instead of replying with a completely irrelevant, snarky one-liner that completely derails the topic of the OP.

If you’re going to be a dev for a game, act like it.

• manzari
    manzari Member Posts: 50
    edited March 2020
    Options

Can't argue with the truth, the game is at an awful state right now, I was hoping the new matchmaking system would fix it. but the new chapter's patch notes is out and still no new matchmaking system or hitbox changes that we were promised. can't imagine being a new player in the game right now. killer games being awfully stressful and too hard against decent survivors. survivor queue times being 7-8 minutes in red and purple ranks...

Post edited by manzari on
  • TTVfbYTigTW
    TTVfbYTigTW Member Posts: 85
    Options

In this day and age, expecting anything different would be blasphemous. Gone are the days of professionalism, honesty, decency, loyalty and any other virtue.

• Arxaion
    Arxaion Member Posts: 104
    Options

Hard disagree. As a killer you need to understand survivor objectives and tendencies. Best to play survivor first.

• Almo
    Almo Member, Dev Posts: 1,120
    edited March 2020
    Options

Yeah, I was in it about 7 years. Was CEO of a corp, then when we formed an alliance we were the executor corp, which meant I was the head of the alliance. Most of what I did in the game was political management, corp project direction and accounting. Truly amazing game. But as you say, it's like a second life. I was going to run for CSM, but BHVR had Star Citizen work at that time, so I couldn't as we were a competitor.

• CornHub
    CornHub Member Posts: 1,864
    Options

He could have said they do or don't have plans on changing the tutorial to be more helpful or including new features that help newer players. But I'm not surprised they didn't say anything helpful considering they never do.

• toxcitynacl
    toxcitynacl Member Posts: 464
    Options

I have a smurf account too and I will say I have much more fun playing as the smurf and get to actually do things to just have fun rather than being a sweaty tryhard. As a rank 15 survivor on the smurf I get a lobby nearly instantly and as a rank 4 and having one of my swfs as a rank 16 we were facing killers in the 11 rank range not rank 1. There is a steep learning curve for sure. Played a killer who had 12 hours in game compared to my 2000--she disconnected after the 5th gen was done and had zero perks...there was no hope she was ever going to lay a glove on me but that how it be in the early games. I think I played 10 games or more before I ever escaped, couldn't do gens to save my life, was too afraid to unhook people and thought hiding in the middle of the street was a viable strategy. The game is not kind to newer players but in some ways it is more fun when you are new and jump at every sound because you think the killer is about to grab you.

• xEa
    xEa Member Posts: 4,105
    edited March 2020
    Options

Seriously now, DBD is really not an easy game for beginners. I admit, i also have a smurf for introducing the game to new friends for the reason to minimise the frustration level. So many of my friends left after a short while because they became sick and tired beeing slaughtered by the "overpowered" killer. It is not fun to get stomped in 9/10 of your first games.

But it is hard to balance around for beginners aswell, the killer simply has an easy time at first, until survivors figure out how to defende themself (and once they stop beeing scared and hiding for minutes when they hear the slightest heartbeat).

My suggestion is to bring back old SWF, so the killer rank is not the rank of the highest ranked survivor but the avarage rank of all 4. This wont fix the problem entirely of course, but it helps a bit where it is needed the most.

• Haku
    Haku Member Posts: 614
    edited March 2020
    Options

This is very well said !!! This is exactly what I thought will happen if they plan to release a single killer every 3 months and add up tp 9 perks sometimes with the DLC. I bet people who play the game can't keep up with all the perks effects imagine a new player . And yes the guides are terrible. A new player will never know how to properly run a killer. Or even better - how to run a specific killer like Hunrtess for example that is slow. And how ar they supposed to get better if there are already so many killers chances are you see some of them only once a week. How you are supposed to learn to play against by just seeing it once a week. Where do you find about things like BBQ and the fact you can hide behinde a gen. What about maps.... And then the grind to get the perks you want ....

• toxcitynacl
    Options

But if you bring back the old swf and play off the lowest rank survivor you'll get killers being crushed then. My swf was 4, 5, 9 and 16 and we were facing killers at rank 11 what if instead the killer had been a 17? From my point of view it would have been fun--like when I literally chased this Hag all over the map--don't noob killers ever loo behind them?--I'd get between them and the survivor they were chasing, I'd body block them at the hook, at one point as I got between the killer and the survivor and turned to block their path the Hag literally seemed confused on what to do next. It was very fun...for me...not so sure if the Hag shared my opinion how fun that game was. If you have a rank 4 and 5 survivor that is what a rank 17 killer could look forward to. A few weeks ago I did a killer daily (as I never really play killers). Faced a rank 3 and a rank 4 survivor and they bullied me as bad as I did the Hag...this would be common place if they went back to how it was.

• xEa
    xEa Member Posts: 4,105
    Options

I mean the point is that the killer should be in your example a rank 7, since this is the average rank of your party. It is definitly better then it is now (it would be a rank 4 killer according to the swf change)

• Peasant
    Peasant Member Posts: 4,104
    Options

The game has an offline mode though, KYF. You can use KYF to run your buds through the basics of gameplay and then help them dip their toes in online play.

• HectorBrando
    HectorBrando Member Posts: 3,167
    Options

Go try EvE Online or old Paradox titles like Victoria 2.

• The_Bootie_Gorgon
    The_Bootie_Gorgon Member Posts: 2,340
    Options

You allowed the game to ruin a potential relationship.

• Falkner09
    Falkner09 Member Posts: 373
    Options

pretty bad for longtime players too, especially if you play killer.

• toxcitynacl
    Options

I didn't see any killer over rank 10. My bet is not enough high rank killers to match with us so we get lower ranked killers...just my guess.

• csandman1977
    csandman1977 Member Posts: 2,358
    Options

I mean i started playing as freddy trying to figure out why i couldn't hit people. Back when you had to put them to sleep. I couldn't hit ruin skill checks. What was looping? Huntress had to aim how? No reticle. No dot. And yet here we all are. Still playing despite the tremendous learning curve. This is a game that you either love or hate. No matter how much spoonfeeding you give new players, they are going to either quit or keep playing.

I do think there should be a training area. Someplace to get to know controls and common tiles. But the difficulty is rewarding in the long run. And makes better players.

• OtakuBurrito
    OtakuBurrito Member Posts: 512
    Options

I can think of 10 games that are easily less beginner friendly.

• Oberon
    Oberon Member Posts: 84
    Options

Deflecting by saying it could be worse, so be grateful.

Lovely.

• nicnc82
    nicnc82 Member Posts: 372
    Options

I tried to get friends into this game, but the tunneling and camping and moring off of first hook turned them off. Me and my husband never camp ever and very rarely tunnel but we do know the majority of killers at purple and red ranks do this and newbies because they don't know any other way to play. I could not get them to keep playing. Except one to play killer and he's proud of getting down to rank 5 recently. And doesn't tunnel or camp either.

• PigMainClaudette
    PigMainClaudette Member Posts: 3,842
    Options

As a whole these days, we're all basically just handed whatever we want, and there's now so MUCH hand-holding within video games especially. It's actually nice to find a game that I really have to work at to improve, rather than just log in once in a while and get rewarded for showing up.

The real world doesn't operate that way either. You earn your keep.

• RakimSockem
    RakimSockem Member Posts: 1,972
    Options

You have to have a lot of patience to start this game. I played with some new people in a SWF group and we ended up going against a rank 1 huntress because I'm rank 1, and of course they got decimated, but they had a really positive attitude about it and said it was cool to see what the competition looks like at the top tier.

Someone with less patience and self motivation would definitely give up though and be like F this.

• Seltas0208
    Seltas0208 Member Posts: 1,056
    Options

That's nice and all but.... Could you address the concerns of the original poster?

• Science_Guy
    Science_Guy Member Posts: 1,971
    Options

When I saw this thread, I thought "They must have never tried a Paradox Interactive game."

• whammigobambam
    whammigobambam Member Posts: 1,201
    Options

I know when I first started I was coming directly from f13th the game so I had a good idea of what kiting is. But for new players I don't think they understand how important kiting is. But I wouldn't say it is the worst. Most fps shooters are much more unforgiving.

• Huff
    Huff Member Posts: 1,480
    Options

I'm not here to try to say it's an easy game to pick up...

Just here to add, you probably wouldn't be saying the same thing if you played Last Year. The rounds in that game could last about a minute or so, if the students (survivors) didn't know what they were doing. At least before a recent patch they did, but even then it's still pretty harsh, just not as harsh as before with rounds potentially only lasting like a minute.

• neekocheeko
    neekocheeko Member Posts: 88
    Options

I think one of the biggest problems is how grindy this game is. You buy the game and additional DLCs, and then you have to spend hours to get perks unlocked. I know it's been a huge turn off for a lot of people I tried to get into the game.

• Mister_xD
    Mister_xD Member Posts: 7,669
    Options

Team Fortress 2 wants to know your location

jokes aside, yeah it is quite rough here for new players.

the only thing i can really give you on your way is, to make sure to play both sides in order to understand them better.

if you stay exclusive to one, it is going to be a lot harder for you to fully understand the other one - and understanding that role means being able to play around it.

you're having trouble surviving against a certain killer? go play them yourself! see what the others do and try to copy that behavior next time you face that killer.

same vice versa: you cant catch survivors as killer? go and play survivor a bit. understand how they think and use that knowledge to predict their movements.

i wish you best of luck! dont let losses disencourage you and i promise it will get better with time!

• BeardedMenace
    BeardedMenace Member Posts: 215
    Options

My personal opinion on the "Survivors start with nothing" issue isn't a issue... If you can't survive with no Perks you're probably better off not playing the game. I've literally heard this from all the top tier streamers I watch. If you can't survive a match without Perks you're going to suck for the most part. I honestly took Perks off to learn to get better. But I do agree they don't really explain how anything works or goes. Like having to figure out when will the hatch show etc. Maybe they should implement a new loading screen with better tips. Loading screen is dull and makes you miss the hints, not saying make it special. Just redesign it, while actually giving good tips that help n00bs understand the game better.

• Polychrome_Baku
    Polychrome_Baku Member Posts: 404
    Options

While DBD isnt the friendliest, I can tell you haven't played Warframe or DOTA. Their new player experience is horrendous.

• siyke26
    siyke26 Member Posts: 81
    Options

The dev's don't care about new player they on cater to the killer mains cause if they aren't happy they fix the issues and make it even harder for new players especially on the survivor side.