Should Struggle Phase Even Exist?

Options
Shin_Vertigo
Shin_Vertigo Member Posts: 10
edited March 2020 in Polls

First hook phase is fine, and while the 4% chance to pull off hook kinda sucks, it's still not awful nor is pulling off of hook yourself necessary most of the time. But second stage is what I don't like. Having to spam a button just to survive on hook for a minute is so annoying for me. And when you happen to have your hand slip or your rhythm gets messed up you just die a cheap death. Should this even exist? Maybe I'm the only one who feels this way, but at least on console it's pretty annoying. Would it be better for there to be more of a cutscene type thing where you watch your character struggle for you? Thoughts?

Comments

• BigTimeGamer
    BigTimeGamer Member Posts: 1,752
    Options

Just make it auto struggle with a button to suicide

this whole idea that you need to spam a key to not die is aids and doesn't account for numerous reasons you may mess up IE sneezing, lag etc

• Fibijean
    Fibijean Member Posts: 8,342
    Options

The second hook phase should exist, but the struggle mechanic I could do without.

• Shin_Vertigo
    Shin_Vertigo Member Posts: 10
    Options

I'm not really sure what the best fix would be in terms of manual suicide. That should probably still exist, but pressing a button for it could be annoying too, as that could happen on accident.

• shinymon
    shinymon Member Posts: 298
    Options

I'm not a fan. I've died so many times because of a split-second of lag where my button mashes fail to register and my fellow survivors think I'm throwing.

• TheRockstarKnight
    TheRockstarKnight Member Posts: 2,171
    edited March 2020
    Options

Survivors should press and hold a button to let go, with struggling being automatic.

There's no reason for button mashing: it's not immersive or atmospheric and it's annoying at best, and painful at it's worst.

• Gibberish
    Gibberish Member Posts: 1,055
    Options

Please just get rid of the mashing. Just let the timer tick down without me needing do anything, just like the first hook phase.

Having a button input is just utterly unnecessary and annoying.

• FichteHiro
    FichteHiro Member Posts: 711
    Options

It is simply unnecessary to have to struggle manually, that doesn't bring any sort of challenge or fun, it's just spamming the space bar after all.

• batmanscar
    batmanscar Member Posts: 466
    Options

survivor mains always whining about something

• Seiko300
    Seiko300 Member Posts: 1,862
    edited March 2020
    Options

For people who have been playing for a long time (say for example, me: playing since 2016) or even just a significant amount of time the struggle phase might become a bit tedious and even unnecessary.

However,

This is not who it is for, the struggle phase has and always will be for new players to really feel the intensity of the situation that they're in. You'd be straight up lying to me if you didn't ######### yeet your spacebar INTO your own keyboard with how fast you were clicking the first couple hours of gameplay, I know I did way back when. And I know I'm not the only one who did it either because I've seen gameplay of people playing for the first time and freaking out when they've got to spam struggle their hearts out to stay alive until they realize after a bit of time that whatever the pace you hit your spacebar at (as long as it's not too slow) you're aiming more for consistency than anything else like speed.

This is just something they're not going to change at all just to appease more experienced or veteran players who are lazy and don't want to hit the spacebar. Dead By Daylight is a horror game and this kind of mechanic is meant to up the stakes, and emphasize your dire situation, forcing the player to really experience the tension of the moment that if you stop struggling you could die.

And I wouldn't want to sacrifice the experience of new players just for my sake. I've had the pleasure to enjoy (and be frustrated with) the game for over a thousand hours and I wouldn't want to ruin the initial fear factor of the game for new players. I want the new guys to be able to enjoy it just as much as I have

Regardless of the threads that crop up about this or the upvotes people who agree might see, I am supremely confident this is one of those topics that the devs will just outright refuse to budge on. And I would have to agree, so sorry for anyone who is mildly annoyed I guess, but your mild annoyance does not equate to or override the terror a fresh player experiences having to struggle for his ######### life.

• Fog_King
    Fog_King Member Posts: 688
    Options

I wish they would remove the need to mash the button to keep struggling. Make the character do it on its own. I have died many times because it did not register me mashing the button or my finger slipped.

• FichteHiro
    FichteHiro Member Posts: 711
    Options

I don't think the player should be forced to spam space bar. This is in no way fun and interactive. Just making this automatic would make the struggle phase fine.