Rest in Peace Splinter Offering

FireHazard
FireHazard Member Posts: 7,314

[Not serious] just a general discussion on the offerings retirement

And thus ends an era of Dead By Daylight, not really but it's an interesting end to an old demo concept that a lot of players used to go to for reference on a new Killer.

It's sad to see it go, but it's not entirely necessary to keep the offering around anymore to be honest. With how buggy it was, and how common it is to find a video on any Killer, the idea of a "demo plan" for certain Killers just faded in obscurity in the end. It wasn't a bad idea no, but it has shown it's age in the past few years...

My question to everyone to cares to read is "what do you think about the splinter's retirement?"

Do you think it was necessary? Do you like the idea of having retired offerings in your offerings page? Or do you think the Splinter offerings should be revived and updated for the future generation of Dead By Daylight players?

I'd love to know what you guys think about this change, as I personally think it was a long time coming due to what the offering represented and how that time of "demo play" has ended in recent years.

Comments

• Spooky13
    Spooky13 Member Posts: 1,471

I think they should be kept, for the licensed killers at least. For original killers, you can buy them for free with Iridescent Shards, but have to pay money for licensed killers. Now you have no way of trying them out to know if you should or shouldn't buy them. Ghostie and Demo didn't even get splinters, so they should get them and bring the others back.

• Cheers
    Cheers Member Posts: 3,426

It was definitely necessary, as they were super buggy and not much use in them.

I do hope though at one point the devs add a free trial to each killer, where you get two or three matches with their unique perks tier 3.

Same with survivors.

• FireHazard

^

I was thinking that exact same thing when I took that image lmao.

• xRem
    xRem Member Posts: 375

Good Riddance

• humanbeing1704
    humanbeing1704 Member Posts: 8,971

So people can't even try out the og licensed ones thats pretty bogus for the people that don't own them

• kazakun
    kazakun Member Posts: 581

I don't have much money or any of the DLCs so I really liked them. Was a way to cool down for me in a way. Try something different. Was able to scrape together enough money to buy the rift pass and the new DLC this month so whatever.

• FireHazard

Well the idea is this, you can look up multiple videos on guides and examples for you to "demo" these Killers.

The whole Splinter concept was supposed to be an outdated answer to this issue, but over the years the offering has become buggy with it barely working sometimes (doesn't work at all sometimes and spends itself). So the concept was ultimately retired from what I can gather, I personally think it's necessary since that age of DBD is over, plenty of concept creators have made examples for newer players to review... it's not like the old days where you had to guess for the most part.

• FireHazard

I believe they stopped making splinters after The Pigs DLC, so Killers like Clown, Spirit, Legion, Plague, GhostFace, Demogorgon, and Oni don't have splinters, so the idea of new splinters was abandoned a long time ago.

Your guess is as good as mine on why they stopped making Splinters after The Pigs DLC, but the idea of Demoing Killers was really limited anyways... so instead of making new Splinters for every new Killer, it was a better idea to retire them (Or so my theory goes).

• Marcavecunc
    Marcavecunc Member Posts: 2,057

Pretty sure Splinters were only for licensed killers, as a free trial, since you had to pay actual money to get them, as opposed to the non-licensed ones that could be bought using shards.

I did try out killers that way before buying them back when I got the game. I eventually ended up buying everything on a sale afterwards, and get new releases as they come out, since I play the game a lot anyway.

One thing that would have been nice would have been if the killer you played using the splinter came equipped with their 3 perks.. but nope.. vanilla killer, no perk or add-ons, just their power. But anyway that's a thing of the past now.

• Godot
    Godot Member Posts: 806

Eh, why use Splinters when you can just buy the chapters. Get money. 8^)

• HectorBrando
    HectorBrando Member Posts: 3,167

Finally, trying a licensed killer which you had no clue how to play with no perks and against survivors of your level was pointless, on top of that they were quite expensive.

• Spooky13
    Spooky13 Member Posts: 1,471

With the introduction of Clown came the store and the ability to buy original killers for shards, so I can see why they didn't have splinters. As for Demo and Ghostie, no clue.

• White_Owl
    White_Owl Member Posts: 3,786
    edited March 2020

What do I think? That I want my BP back :/

• Boosted_Dwight
    Boosted_Dwight Member Posts: 3,059

I'm glad I don't have to burn 7000 bp on useless splinters anymore. 😅

Still it kinda sucks for those who want to try out a DLC killer before buying them.

• FireHazard

Maybe after they were added (The Clown) they decided that making Splinters wasn't entirely needed anymore BECAUSE of the shard system. Can't say the same for the licensed Killers, but the idea was that you can buy them for Auric Cells, Shards (if unlicensed), or the DLC itself.

I believe around after The Pig was after that a lot more tutorials sprung up as well, don't quote me on that though.

• Mew
    Mew Member Posts: 1,832

i hope it comes back, console players cant test a paid killer at all without buying them without it 😔

• FireHazard

You can't buy unlicensed Killers with shards? Or Auric Cells at a discount?

• Mew
    Mew Member Posts: 1,832

i mean yeah, but im saying its our only way of testing them out for free without really sacrificing anything, lol. pc user get to test the new killer and survivor in the ptb

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,229

I am glad this thing is gone, so it can stop forcing me onto it and taking all my bloodpoints from the bloodweb.

• Heartbound
    Heartbound Member Posts: 3,255

I never got splinters since I always bought each chapter as it came out, but why would anyone want to play a killer without perks and add ons. Splinters also eat a bloodweb spot.

Bleh.

• FireHazard

Same, the only reason I got Freddys Splinters is because I refused to buy his DLC for months, than I bought it and fell in love with his Pre-Reworked self.

Not so much these days for the Fredster.

• Heartbound
    Heartbound Member Posts: 3,255

Current day Freddy is for tryhards. I've never met a chill Freddy. I met a lot of chill Fr00dys back when he came out, but today you can see the mountain dew flavored sweat pouring from his armpits.

• FireHazard

I don't know, arguing that his Snares were OP when he came out was like a death sentence, since a lot of people agreed that he needed a rework for a long time.

He did yeah, but I don't really like Snare Freddy for many reasons. Pallet Freddy is more lenient, but Snare Freddy is a lot harder to face when you literally have one loop to use sometimes.

• SandS_Hero
    SandS_Hero Member Posts: 29

I did use splinters to play as Michael myers a few times, I did it enough that I realised how much I like his gameplay style, I had watched videos but it wasn't until playing him myself that I 'got it'. Anyway eventually I bought him, thanks splinters

• FireHazard

Maybe we'll see the Splinters come back one day, but for the majority it's not necessary unfortunately.

• PigMainClaudette
    PigMainClaudette Member Posts: 3,842

I still have unused Bone Splinters. Not that I like Leatherface.

It is annoying, though, and I don't think that I'll actually get anything for still having them. Shame.

• FireHazard

The thing you get is the special discontinued offering in your offering page. 😃

• FireHazard

Sorry I didn't get to this comment beforehand.

But yes, this is also another reason why a lot of players disliked this offering. If you didn't buy the DLC, and bought the Killers on the shop instead, than even their own special splinters would show up in their blood-webs lol.

So if you bought Freddy on the shop for 500 Auric Cells, than you might get his Smoking Splinter in his blood-web... that's not intentional obviously, but it did happen sometimes.

• RobMeister88
    RobMeister88 Member Posts: 351

Yeah I'm also gonna have to say R.I.P. Those offerings were quite fun for me about 6 months back when I was a baby rank 18 killer. I used to think Pig was S tier with her offering. Good ol times. I still have a decent amount of splinter offerings on my Trapper, unfortunately he's not prestiged but I'll keep him that way if it means I get to keep my offerings. Nostalgia holds sentimental value.

• FireHazard

I commend your efforts to preserve history.

Well... "history" since it just happened, but the splinter offerings are kind of like the moon light offerings, except the only similarity is that they're kept as mementos of the past.

• KrispiesChicken
    KrispiesChicken Member Posts: 171

My personal opinion is it makes sense it's been retired. It gave new players a chance to try new killers or something but without their perks or add ons it wasn't that fun, plus as you mentioned there's videos. I feel like it was a useful tool but not one you'd use. It's basically the same as RGB in a PC, nice but not necessary

• Mjra
    Mjra Member Posts: 50

Good riddance. I had the Glass Splinter pop up so many times when I was levelling my Pig. Cant wait to use an offering on my Pig to play Pig smile.

I get why people liked them but that bug made me despise them so much.

• Tired_Bubba
    Tired_Bubba Member Posts: 21

Bought the Saw chapter and got a splinter to play the Pig on Pig, man I was so excited

All seriousness I don't see an issue with them going, I've only ever seen Pig and Michael ones though

• p1ague
    p1ague Member Posts: 101

Good riddance to bad rubbish, though I do wish there was a way to recycle them or that they would start doing something actually cool (e.g. "play with perks you haven't gotten from the bloodweb, this round only")

• Hopesfall
    Hopesfall Member Posts: 828

can i get my bloodpoints back for them? nope

• FireHazard

Sadly no, they're just there now as a memento of their release.

• FireHazard

Yes that was apparently really common for players that bought Killers in the shop itself and not through the DLC...

Which I find kind of funny that you can demo Freddy while using the offering AS Freddy.

• FireHazard

Probably because you bought some DLC beforehand, or it's just the RNG idk.

If you buy a Killers DLC on the steam store than the Splinters cease to exist in your blood-webs, if you bought them in the shop than you actually might get a smoking splinter on Freddy for example, which is funny to think about.

• FireHazard

I wouldn't mind a recycling system for offerings and add-ons in-general, that'd be good for unwanted offerings and add-ons you didn't intentionally want.

• neenz
    neenz Member Posts: 5

i’m actually sad about this, i wanted to try them out. just curious as to how i’m seeing current ps4 players use them?? been seeing a lot of michaels and leatherfaces that are supposed to be someone else.

• starkiller1286
    starkiller1286 Member Posts: 889

I liked them though they really should have gave you the killers unique perks along with them. Oh well