So Gear Head actually got nerfed?

ad19970
ad19970 Member Posts: 6,356

I just saw a video of Otz about this perk and that it has been nerfed from the ptb. On the ptb it had a duration of 45 seconds, now it has 30 seconds.

And I really don't get it. Did anyone think that perk was op? You need to hit survivors two times and they have to hit a skill check for the generator's aura to be highlighted, which barely happens right when the perk activates, which means the actual effect didn't have a duration of 45 seconds most of the time. I would really like to look into the mindset of BHVR's balance team. Don't they want more meta perks in this game? We need more variety, not less. I don't get why BHVR is so afraid of releasing strong perks. Just look at how Hangman's trick was gutted. It needed a nerf, but not that much of a nerf.

Now I didn't notice that this perk was nerfed until now, which might be a good sign, but I haven't used the perk very often and thinking back to my matches with the perk, I did notice that it didn't do anything often when it activated.

I really just don't get it. The perk has the conditions of having to hit survivors two times and when the perk is activated, survivors need to hit a skill check for the perk to work. I don't see a lot of reasons to use it over other perks like BBQ and Chili, Thrilling Tremors, Surveillance or Discordance. Like seriously, why on earth was this perk nerfed? Unless most people agreed that it was too good and I didn't notice that? But I honestly doubt that.

It's just really disappointing, because I was really excited to get at least one new meta perk that I could use instead of other perks that help with map pressure, and this nerf just seems so stupid. What good is adding new content to the game when there's no reason to use it?

The same happened with Surge as well in my opinion. Though still somewhat decent, that perk should have kept the 12% regression to be at least somewhat of an alternative to PGTW. It's also really frustrating because the idea and design of perks like Surge are actually good, but then they just end up too weak.

I can only beg for BHVR to buff this perk's duration back to 45 seconds, so it can actually rank among perks like Discordance or BBQ and Chili.

Comments

• ad19970

What was the skill check nerf? I think I missed that in Otz's video.

But yeah this nerf is beyond me. Getting pretty disappointing that we don't get any new perks anymore that are worth using.

I guess Dead Man's Switch can be good with certain perk combos though, so that's at least something.

• KingFrost
    KingFrost Member Posts: 3,014

Gearhead is useless. I think it should highlight any gens that are being worked on (for the duration they're worked on) after getting your two hits for x# of seconds. I think THAT would make it actually worthwile to use over Surveillance or Discordance.

• Schmierbach
    Schmierbach Member Posts: 468

The duration nerf doesn't really matter. The "it only procs on good skill checks" nerf, however makes the perk less reliable than other tracking perks and not worth running. Infectious Fright fits slugging better, BBQ and Thrilling tremors does the "after hook" tracking better, and Surveillance or Discordance help find survivors during downtime better.

Its alright, but it's like Bitter Murmur where its out classed by other perks.

• Mrjuice
    Mrjuice Member Posts: 94

The duration nerf is not the problem. The fact that this perks requires skillchecks (a random factor) and survivors' skills (hitting only good skillchecks) to be useful is what makes it useless. Also the basic attack condition makes it less useful on some killer. I really don't get why they like to add basic attack condition to every perk possible.

• ad19970

I have to disagree here. The longer the perk's duration is, the higher the chance that a generator will get highlighted if a survivor works on it. Which also means a higher chance of having all gens that are being worked on being highlighted to you. And that's always a good thing for map pressure. The more knowledge you have over where survivors are, the better. If playing killer really was all about finding a survivor, and then chasing them until you down them, I would agree. But that's not necessarily how you apply map pressure. Sometimes it's better to injure a survivor and then go for another survivor to try and pressure more survivors off of gens. That's where this perk could be good if the duration was 45 seconds.

I'm not saying the perk is bad, but it's also not really good, weaker than other perks that help apply map pressure.

• palotheas
    palotheas Member Posts: 118

I don't like the nerf because by the time you pick up a survivor, carry them all the way to a hook, and maybe kick a pallet or gen in that time the aura reading is already basically over. By the time you walk over to that gen (because maps are so large it takes like 30 seconds just to cross the map anyways) you won't be able to tell if the survivor is still on it or not.

• Dr_doom_j2
    Dr_doom_j2 Member Posts: 869

I think it's intentionally "unintentionally" a slug perk. Honestly the o my use I can see for it.

• ad19970

Oh dear lord you have to be kidding me. This is ridiculous. It's like they saw the potential that this perk could become another meta perk and said "nope, can't have that".

• Chocolate_Cosmos
    Chocolate_Cosmos Member Posts: 5,735

They nerfed this perk way too far. It wasn't even that good on PTB, it was decent at the best.

They are way better perks for keeping eye on generators than this one.

• Whiskers93
    Whiskers93 Member Posts: 95

Devs are useless

• NursesBootie
    NursesBootie Member Posts: 2,159

It's a nice silent alternative to infectious for M1 killers. That's it. Infectious is way more effective of course.

• OmegaXII
    OmegaXII Member Posts: 2,191

It has the same problem as pre-nerf ruin. You can get skill checks every 2 secs, or you got none and fixed the gen without knowing ruin is in work. I thought that's why devs changed ruin?

Plus, sometimes gearhead activates when you're in chase. If you're low mobility killer, you can't utilise that information.

Yes, sometimes it provides useful information, but thrilling tremor is better in any way

• twistedmonkey
    twistedmonkey Member Posts: 4,291

It's maybe due to the slugging potential. The longer the time frame the more chances this has to happen as that scenario is dependant on the uptime.

Down the first one, see the gen auras, do the same to another and it has the potential to be still up so you go after a third. It's not guaranteed to happen but it did have that potential none the less.