Why Did You Start Playing DBD?

Fibijean
Fibijean Member Posts: 8,342
edited March 2020 in Polls

I'm curious. Feel free to elaborate and share your stories in the comments.

Why Did You Start Playing DBD? 124 votes

I wanted to/was invited to play it with my friends (in a SWF group)
9%
FibijeanLALYTHIADelsKibaraZephinismalaenyiaAhoyWolfMrsGhostfaceSzarmanArdjetBaby_Dwight_MainSkullKidoh_salutations 12 votes
I wanted to/was invited to play it with my friends (in a KYF group)
4%
InjiRobMeister88[Deleted User]Foxfire47KazzKekerxd 6 votes
The game was free and I decided to give it a try because why not
15%
SnakeSound222VolantConch1719jmaximo93TragicSolitudesmappdoodaHertsuFINBoosted_Dwightmusstang62shadow3989ShapedzmassaniTodgeweiht[Deleted User]JediWithASniperMurdlesoGoodPowerGuidoCANxOFxCORNUndershot 19 votes
I got it for myself because I saw it advertised on the Store (or elsewhere)
8%
WeederickLycanCHKNSeiko300DarkFox85HrakofPfoxandtheHoundAwkward_FiendFrancesco044TypicalNancyeproe71 10 votes
I got it for myself because I heard/read good things about it
6%
icemancat[Deleted User]TaigaPlantCollectorxBEATDOWNSxSemimaticnoname11223345sethgameboy101 8 votes
I got it for myself because I saw a friend or streamer play it
41%
rhaPandomCheersdrimmalorSpartagone45MiriamGPlanetJuke420RieDimekad19970Leonardo1itaFichteHiroraadsaraBeHasUBabyClaudetteGOODBOYMODZZEnderloganYTandyollollollIcewhisperFilledPizza 52 votes
Other
13%
BossMegMain98TheRockstarKnightStrancolRaven014K1LLR0CKNR0LLMooxWSNLPigMainClaudetteBloodyHatchetAnnoyedAtTheGameIAmShadowZzzZaPesourglobePuxAriTheLegionMainevajimi 17 votes

Comments

• PigMainClaudette
    PigMainClaudette Member Posts: 3,842
    Other

There were several things that got me into DbD. I've picked "Other" since it was a combination of about 3.

I had quite a few friends who were playing together all the time on Overwatch, but we were commonly reaching about 10 people, and Customs were kind of getting old. We were all looking at getting a new game, and it was either DbD or Friday the 13th. Since Friday could house more people, we went for that. Not many of us got it and none of us found it to be all that good a game.

Later on one of my younger brothers remembered that we were looking into Dead by Daylight as well, so we looked into it again and I picked up a disk on sale. A few of us got it to play some KYF, and I enjoyed it. Of the original 10 that played together, only 3 of us play DbD now, with me being the only one who consistently plays it. Shame really. I've found that the game is more fun when you know what to do and try out some very strange things.

• TheRockstarKnight
    TheRockstarKnight Member Posts: 2,171
    Other

Friday the 13th: The Game had a long period with no new content while they worked on an Engine update.

During that time I got DbD to try it out.

I knew about it, because I'd read good things about it in some gaming magazine that I was skimming through around the time DbD released.

(It stuck with me for a year and half, even as I forgot the name of the magazine or where I read it, because the idea of controlling the victims and antagonist of a horror film seemed really interesting.)

I'd also heard bad things about DbD from some people online, but I decided to ignore them and try it out for myself.

I liked playing as Wraith, but it was kind of a meh experience overall.

(This was during the 'amazing' balancing introduced by Howling Grounds and back when SWFs could throw matchmaking by having one person perform a glitch to trick the game into thinking they were a Rank 20. My introduction to DbD was 3 4ks against Rank 20s and then 4 stomps by Rank 1s abusing the glitch. Good times.)

I thought F13 was more fun.

So I went back to F13 when it's long awaited engine update released, but I also heard that The Lullaby For The Dark was free. So I kept DbD, downloaded Huntress, and had a blast playing both games.

Around that time; Friday the 13th lost the ability to introduce any new content thanks to Sean Cunningham and Horror inc.

So DbD replaced F13 and I started getting more into the former.

Long story short; that's how I ended up here.

• BabyClaudette
    BabyClaudette Member Posts: 109

Watched Monto play a lot.

• K1LLR0CKNR0LL
    K1LLR0CKNR0LL Member Posts: 176
    Other

My gf ran into it while scrolling through psn. We were looking for something new to play and the game was unlike anything we had ever played. We are also big horror nuts so it drew us in right away. Haven't stopped playing since.

• drimmalor
    drimmalor Member Posts: 909
    edited March 2020

I had one friend who had played it, and he was telling me all about it. Before then I had no interest in horror movies, games, etc. I briefly watched him streaming it at one point, and then many months later I saw it on sale and bought it to try out - I was hooked. Literally. A lot of times.

I remember playing with him soon after I got it and refusing to save him from the basement because, and I quote, "I'll die". Nearly 3 years later and here I am, and I only refuse to go in the basement against Hags 😅

• Boosted_Dwight
    Boosted_Dwight Member Posts: 3,059

The game was free on Ps Plus and before that I saw the many YouTube videos about it so I wanted to give it a shot. Two years pass by and now I'm here. :P

• Owlzey
    Owlzey Member Posts: 442

I watched Ohmwrecker and Monto a lot which got me into the game. I also love horror movies so the fact that big characters like Michael and Freddy made it into this game is even better.

• Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,615
    Other

Idk, just found it and gave it a try.

• BeHasU
    BeHasU Member Posts: 830

Back in 2016, i was watching a youtuber playing this new game called "Dead by Daylight", i liked it, but i didn't have a strong enough pc to play the game. After 2 years i finally get my PC and instantly bought the game, still playing these days, still love the game.

• MegMain98
    MegMain98 Member Posts: 2,913
    edited March 2020
    Other

I played Friday The 13th: The Game for THOUSANDS of hours. I still love the game but it is very stale with no new content.

With F13 becoming stale I was looking for a new game. I always knew of DBD but I wasn’t interested until a friend convinced me to buy it when it was on sale.

But Myers is the reason I started playing DBD. I love the Halloween series and it enticed me to try DBD. That’s why the licensed chapters are a very smart idea. It brings in a bunch of new players.

• Seiko300
    Seiko300 Member Posts: 1,862
    I got it for myself because I saw it advertised on the Store (or elsewhere)

The game first showed up in my queue in Steam before its release. This was back when I was just starting to get into Horror (The MTV Scream series and Ghostface / The Scream Movies but the former primarily if you can believe it) and I remember seeing the first bits of gameplay which were very interesting and looked exactly like what I was looking for to dive into the horror genre. I wasn't interested in all horror, and I'm still not, I'm not a fan of paranormal stuff which for some reason was most horror at the time. Since what brought me in was Scream I was into slasher movies, stuff that I had never seen before from the 90s and earlier, but for some reason weren't very big nowadays (at the time).

The game was an unknown, there were no streamers or content creators: no Monto, no Tru3Ta1ent, no Otzdarva, no No0b3, no Paulie Esther, no King, etc. There wasn't too much buzz about it either since it wasn't coming out of a major studio like Bethesda, EA, Activision / Blizzard, Nintendo, etc. But what talk there was about it were from people who were genuinely excited about it since it was one of the first of its kind in terms of Online Asymmetrical Horror titles.

Alongside DBD I had heard talk about two other games, one that would start Jason Voorhees and counselors from the Friday the 13th series which sounded like it was gonna be huge, the other was far off from release and only in the earliest of conceptual stages but I saw a video of it that described a title called Last Year. It was also intriguing because it featured the Predator system which allowed the killer to turn invisible and move very quickly when they were out of sight of classmates.

Out of all of them though, Dead By Daylight came first and I knew I had to try it. I didn't have any money but I scrounged around and saved got a steam card and bought it the next time it went on sale (Since it was brand new it was only on sale for maybe 10 or 20% off) so I got it at around 18 dollars USD. In the meantime before I was able to get it I kept watching gameplay and that only motivated me even more to save, and I bought it in July a few weeks after its initial release in June. My very first achievement is dated July 15, 2016 @ 3:37 PM

I was terrified of everything, I still was a newcomer to horror stuff (I was absolutely against horror prior to Scream) and the very first match I played I had no idea what to do. I was a default Dwight crouching around the edges of the map to scared to venture any further, I jumped at everything the crows that cawed suddenly, a generator that popped on the other end of the map freaked me out so bad I flailed my mouse and my screen went everywhere. The Trapper came for me and downed me before I even realized where the nearest pallet was I was too scared to think straight, I was hooked (literally) and the rest of my team who were dumb left me to die on the hook. (Because nobody coordinated back then)

What followed was me dying most of my matches (even though infinites were discovered shortly after I joined and this was technically the height of Survivor power) for the next 150 hours but I had fun even when going on a losing streak. After this I noticed I was getting better, more consistent, and ever since then I was like a train never stopping the grind. Unfortunately I was dumb and never prestiged anyone so I never got the legacy outfit that was offered to the earliest players at the time. I wouldn't have a survivor main until Ace Visconti came along in December and I wouldn't have an official killer main until my favorite killer who started it all: Ghostface finally came along 3 years later in 2019.

It's been my favorite game ever since I first started, and though every gamer waxes and wanes on a game they stick with for a long time I have never been burned out. I got to see the release of the first licensed killer Michael Myers, the earliest events that changed the lobby for the first time to cover it in snow or an eerie green tinted fog. The first and last official Hallowed Blight event where we got to see the first true secondary objectives in the form of disgusting Visceral Cankers, by far my favorite event ever and there has never been one like it since in 2 years (aside from the Moonrise event which was also equally as fun, but lacked the creepy aesthetic and new lore that we had around halloween time), I saw the introduction of new mechanics like Totems / Hex: Perks, the endgame collapse, the introduction of a store which finally brought in depth cosmetics high quality cosmetics to killers and survivors. Almost 4 years later (anniversary upcoming in June!) and I'm no less hype than I was back then, just with a far greater understanding and experience with how the game works and always excited for the next new chapter.

Why do I sound like an old rambling man when I haven't even hit 25? 🤔 

• soGood
    soGood Member Posts: 10

Got it for free on ps+, which also included the lullaby of the dark dlc. Bought the plague dlc on my own after that.

• alaenyia
    alaenyia Member Posts: 650

My sister bought it for me as a gift 2 years ago so I could play with her and her stream friends. Back then it was pretty fun. Those were good times.

• TragicSolitude
    TragicSolitude Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 7,164

The game was free on PS4 Plus one month, and so I grabbed it. I didn't install and starting playing it until the 2018 Hallowed Blight event, though. That's what brought me into the game. If it weren't for that event and the cosmetics that released with it, I probably would never have started playing DbD.

• Ardjet
    Ardjet Member Posts: 85

My girlfriend plays it with her friends frequently, and that naturally made me start playing as well.

• Cheers
    Cheers Member Posts: 3,426

Was my mates 18th so we decided we would stay in his all night drinking and all that.

He had the game and I decided to give it a go and instantly fell in love with it.

Picked it up in Septemer 2017 and haven't looked back since.

• Inji
    Inji Member Posts: 1,096

Got into this game because of the friend. He bought the game for me and I never stopped playing.

• King_Steve_Forever33
    King_Steve_Forever33 Member Posts: 65

I watched ohmwrecker and the other youtubers play, starting at the alpha/beta? It was super early but i loved it. So while playing a different game someone mentioned it came out on PS4, and here we are

• Murdle
    Murdle Member Posts: 119

Free on game pass and I was actually looking for zombie games like DYING LIGHT but I kept seeing DBD in the store for free and I kept getting those two confused so I always thought both of them were zombie games.

I finally decided to download DBD and give it a try to see what it's all about and to my surprise it was a horror game with familiar characters.

• PowerGuido
    PowerGuido Member Posts: 1

I play on PS4 and the game became free so I decided to give it a try and started playing with a friend.

• VolantConch1719
    VolantConch1719 Member Posts: 1,222

I saw a few people I watched play it, but wasn't sure if I would enjoy it myself (I wasn't that big into horror). I happened to notice that it was free one day, and I haven't looked back since.

So, a combination of factors, but mostly it being free.

• Foxfire47
    Foxfire47 Member Posts: 232

My sister invited me to play since she wanted more people on her team and also to test out killers. Mainly did KYF to practice the game and to just mess around. Not going to lie, I stopped playing for awhile but picked it back up just before the Stranger Things DLC was announced and been playing it since I was tired of Overwatch.

• ZaPe
    ZaPe Member Posts: 32
    Other

I got it because I like classic slasher movies like Halloween and TCM

• IAmShadowZzz
    IAmShadowZzz Member Posts: 43
    Other

Me and my friend was really into playing Friday the 13th. So we looked for other games that were like it since we started getting bored of it because of the lack of content. My friend stumbled across DbD and suggested that we get it. I watched some game play for it and seen that you were able to play as Freddy, Michael, and Leatherface, etc. And thought it looked really cool and badass! And I've been in love with it ever since.

• Cephalon_Lebron
    Cephalon_Lebron Member Posts: 60

Watched otz and noob3

• SebaOutbreak
    SebaOutbreak Member Posts: 399

I first played it at a friend's house back in 2016. The concept interested me but the game didn't have enough content for me to even considering getting it. The only thing that stuck with me was the fact that Bill from L4D was a playable survivor. 3 years later, for some reason, Instagram started to show me DbD videos in the feed. And I don't know, I was really interested in what I was seeing, so everytime I came across videos of the game, I just kept watching them, and eventually I got so interested that I decided to buy it. Probably one of my Steam games with the most hours poured on.

• Strancol
    Strancol Member Posts: 158
    Other

Licensed killers

• Joelwino
    Joelwino Member Posts: 550

I found No0b3's videos after spending hours wasting my life away on youtube, but what really sold the game for me was the spirit's incredible design

• SnakeSound222
    SnakeSound222 Member Posts: 4,467

I heard that there was going to be a free trial all the way back in 2017 (to be exact September 15th-18th, 2017). The game always looked interesting to me, so I decided to check it out. I ended up loving the game and I purchased it about three weeks later.

• BloodyHatchet
    BloodyHatchet Member Posts: 48
    Other

I found it by watching one of my favorite YouTubers at that time play it.

• Pixel_BoomBot
    Pixel_BoomBot Member Posts: 116

Just thought it was a good game to try out. And I wasn't wrong.