What are Your Dead by Daylight Unpopular Opinions and Hot Takes?

Options

I did this once before, but it was almost a year ago. I feel like enough has changed so that we'll get some unique answers.

Anyway, what are your unpopular opinions about DbD? Lemme have 'em!

Comments

• RaSavage42
    RaSavage42 Member Posts: 5,541
    Options

Pig is OP... but I love it

• Kwikwitted
    Kwikwitted Member Posts: 641
    Options

And my unpopular take is the exact opposite.

I would give up Mori's in a second if it meant I didn't have to play against keys, particularly when as a killer I'm penalized by the ridiculous emblem system for even using a Mori, as kills are good for BP, but do not count towards your Devout score, meaning it's usually a conscious decision to forego a pip in order to use a Mori, and for what, a moderately interesting animation that 90% of the time is obstructed by some ground clutter cause the cameraman BHVR got to film these things is always laying down or something? Hard pass.

Meanwhile keys not only give survivors a significant boost to their survival score (cause duh, they survived) as well as 5k BP, not to mention they are almost impossible to defend against, you basically have to bring a Mori to counter keys to ensure enough generators don't get completed to enable the key's use.

Keys will never be balanced, and Mori's are really just for one-offs when a killer doesn't care about pipping either out of boredom or out of spite, I would shed no tears watching both get left on the side of the road.

• BigTimeGamer
    BigTimeGamer Member Posts: 1,752
    Options

games should reward skill, not offer alternatives in the form of free wins

• Fibijean
    Fibijean Member Posts: 8,342
    Options

I agree, but that's not at all what I was saying. Still, I said it was an unpopular opinion, didn't I?

• Fibijean
    Fibijean Member Posts: 8,342
    Options
  • Kwikwitted
    Kwikwitted Member Posts: 641
    Options

I will admit, the ruin nerf made me a better killer, for better or worse. My ability to end chases by default had to get better as I didn't have the luxury of time that I used to have.

I can't say for certain if every game being a sweatfest is a good thing for the killer community as a whole, but most of the time I do enjoy it and there is a sense of accomplishment for succeeding.

And yes the change to Ruin and the current generator rush meta has brought full on chase/kill perk loadouts back in vogue, cause the only way to really get survivors off gens is make them unhook their buddy.

• Demogordon_Ramsay
    Demogordon_Ramsay Member Posts: 1,503
    Options

Legion is worse than Clown.

• MojoTheFabulous
    MojoTheFabulous Member Posts: 2,015
    Options

Camping and tunneling really aren't a big deal.

• MegMain98
    MegMain98 Member Posts: 2,907
    Options

People whine too much about Spirit and she has more counterplay than people claim.

• White_Owl
    White_Owl Member Posts: 3,786
    Options

The "gen rush" problem people these days keep complaining about is the result of years of stripping away from survivors tools to fight back. When survivors were at their absolute peak (insta-everything, double pallets etc) nobody complained about gen rush because survivors wanted to interact with the killer and generators were kind of a secondary objective. Now survivors are much weaker on their own, and their best tool is generators to get out asap.

Also, the Hag needs an overhaul. She's awful to play against and most people suck at/hate playing her.

• BeHasU
    BeHasU Member Posts: 830
    Options

How is DS better now? Then you could use your DS or save it everytime you will get picked up. If you weren't downed the whole game, obv not hooked and you would get down in front of the open exit gates you could just DS the killer and escape. How's this version of DS better?

• Clevite
    Clevite Member Posts: 4,335
    Options
  • Clevite
    Clevite Member Posts: 4,335
    Options

Top^

• Tatariu
    Tatariu Member Posts: 3,013
    Options

If exhaustion perks and instant-downs were removed entirely (it would be more boring), it would be a far more balanced game.

• claudeet
    claudeet Member Posts: 3
    Options

I think ghostface is a boring killer

• DarkPit
    DarkPit Member Posts: 87
    Options
    • DC penalties stack up WAY to much and go down way to slow ( im not ragequitting, i have PC Problems)
    • DS is perfectly fine by itself, ist just surroundings like other second Chance perks or lockers which make it powerful (not OP!)- and this Comes from a Survivor Main
    • Dedicated Servers are worse Thann old Servers, although now there isnt any lagswitching anymore, but this was so rare it wasnt a big deal
    • Archives are a great idea, but most of the challenges are just boring "play-the-game-x-amounts-normally-and-get-your-challenge-done-passively"-challenges, or some are Maybe a bit too hard for newer players
    • urban Evasion and generell the stealthy playstyle are skillless and boring af, but still most of Survivor even in high ranks us them
    • Clown is aswell boring to Play as boring to Play against " oh better be frightened of my power which makes you a bit slower and doesnt let you fast vault for a few seconds"

• inferjus
    inferjus Member Posts: 479
    Options

Spirit is the only killer in whole DbD without any counter and should never be added to the game.

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,097
    Options

Not sure how unpopular this opinion is, but it's definitely a spicy hot take after 3 Deathslingers in a row: I hate Deathslinger. I seriously can't stand this killer. Easily as annoying as original Legion to me. I don't know why BHVR's first instinct with mechanics is to remove agency from one side or the other. He would have been fine, if super boring, if he simply had a single rifle shot that he had to cock as part of his wind up to aim down sights. Instead, we have a harpoon that locks you in an animation and inhibits your ability to move freely that also applies deep wound of all things. Deep Wound is a horrible mechanic because you have to stop playing the game to hold a button. Plus, they made him 110 and gave his ability a small range, so he's really good at camping and not so good at patrolling the hilariously oversized maps. It doesn't work. I don't think I've read a single positive feedback from the survivor perspective on this killer. This is trending towards original Legion where survivors are pointing at hooks as soon as they see it's a Deathslinger.

• BattleCast
    BattleCast Member Posts: 698
    edited March 2020
    Options

Deathslinger is a better killer than people think.

Just remember your last game against Deathslinger. Remember all the times he missed his harpoon on you? Now just imagine if that player had 1 year of experience of Deathslinger and he never missed you. His chases are going to end FAST, so the fact that he doesn't have map pressure won't really matter.

• Xzan
    Xzan Member Posts: 907
    Options

Here are mine:

Saying GG after an onesided game is toxic.

The Ruin "Rework" was good. I have seen so many killers playing in red ranks just because of Ruin, not because they played good.

We have enough licensed killers.

Suiciding on hook if your random mates are garbage is completely fine.

• TheRockstarKnight
    TheRockstarKnight Member Posts: 2,171
    edited March 2020
    Options

- Huntress doesn't need an add-on rework and neither does Hillbilly. The devs should nerf/rework/remove Carburetor Tuning Guide and Iridescent Head, buff the Chainsaw noise reduction add-ons, and then leave both Killers as is.

- The devs aren't Survivor sided, Killer sided, or anything sided. I think they just mistakes and don't think things through all the time.

I'm not defending them; designing and releasing original Mettle of Man was incredibly shortsighted, almost comically so. But I don't think they're out to get anyone or that they're intentionally trying to ruin the game for people.

- Deathslinger is in the same balance state as Release Legion with their exploits. Once more people learn to play him Survivors will start complaining.

- I don't get the Deathslinger. He still seems as boring and unfun to play as to me now as he did when he released.

Post edited by TheRockstarKnight on
  • Satelit
    Satelit Member Posts: 1,377
    Options

Decisive Strike is a necesarry evil,they just need to make it not trigger when grabbed

• OutcastEric
    OutcastEric Member Posts: 495
    Options

Decisive is still too strong.

Moris need to go.

Killer needs 5 perks to combat 16 survivor perks and killer offerings should trump survivor offerings.

Swf needs a nerf.

And lastly devs need to stop with this 3 perks per character formula that they have going. It's going to eventually ruin the game.

They should make it to where perks are separated into categories and each survivor slots one perk teach category.

For example survivor would get

1 second chance perk

1 healing perk

1 aura perk

1 objective perk

Killers would get

1 lethal perk

1 tracking perk

1 regression perk

1 aura perk

• Xpljesus
    Xpljesus Member Posts: 395
    Options

I too like then ruin nerf overall, because it forced me to be more diverse in my perk choices. If they made the BBQ BP effect basekit for killers, I'd actually get to choose 4 perks every game!

I think the genspeeds are fine too, the major problem is the killer's earlygame. Trial warmup really is a perfect solution to a problem which punishes you for poor RNG

• magmamuncher
    magmamuncher Member Posts: 20
    Options

gen speed should increase as you complete more gens but the 1st gen should take much longer to do. This stops gens from popping like flies in the early game but helps avoid 3 gens and 2 man end games.

1st gen: 115s

2nd gen: 105

3rd gen: 90

4th gen: 75

5th gen: 70

• Kai6864
    Kai6864 Member Posts: 377
    Options

Probably pretty unpopular but I don’t think Dead Hard needs any changes. I hardly get to use it the way it was supposed to be used *Exhausted on ground* but Dead Hard for distance is also often used incorrectly too, ending up with a player completely missing their target or forcing themselves into a completely mindgame-able situation.

• Jigsaw_pprentice1993
    Jigsaw_pprentice1993 Member Posts: 225
    Options

What adapt to unbreakable BT etc were created by killer tactics slugging and camping ( not saying these are fun) but why didnt the survivors adapt ?? Just saying

• Jigsaw_pprentice1993
    Jigsaw_pprentice1993 Member Posts: 225
    Options

Leatherface is not weak

another hugely unpopular opinion you dont need gen stopping perks at rank 1

i hate when people say u need pop thana etc, to keep up

i personally dislike deathslinger i know thats very unpopular the community seems to love him

• PigMainClaudette
    PigMainClaudette Member Posts: 3,842
    Options

Not slugging. Tunnelling. And face-camping rather than camping.

• Raven014
    Raven014 Member Posts: 4,188
    Options

Making Gen perks not-stackable when the problem is gen speed is ludicrous decision making.

• Karltastisk
    Karltastisk Member Posts: 529
    Options

Old freddy was my favorite and i can tell you people who said he was bad had no clue, NO clue on how godlike old freddy actually was.

Man i miss my favorite killer so much... :(

• woundcowboy
    woundcowboy Member Posts: 1,994
    Options

It had counterplay before (juggle them and/or bring enduring to reduce the stun) but now, you must leave them on the floor and lose gens, or eat the full stun.

• Thatbrownmonster
    Thatbrownmonster Member Posts: 1,640
    Options

Plague is an actually strong killer, but still needs a slightly buff on how her power affects survivors

SWFS of 4 need to be disabled

• Marcus
    Marcus Member Posts: 2,047
    Options

Corrupt Intervention and Discordance are bad perks.

Huntress isn't as good as some people claim to be.

Spine Chill is overrated.

• NorMak3
    NorMak3 Member Posts: 89
    Options

I've been posting hot takes on killers and, soon, other stuff for about 2 months now. It's called Dear Dead By Daylight, you should check it out. Here's the most recent post:

https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/139772/dear-dead-by-daylight-survivor-perk-changes-buffs-excerpt#latest

#Shamelessplug #Actuallyshamefulplug

• Desh
    Desh Member Posts: 1,118
    Options
    • New Ruin is better than Old ruin, Killers just don't know how to adjust and adapt with perk synergy. (Like have you tried Ruin/Surveillance? That combo/wombo is just amazing)
    • Killers that are deemed 'Brain dead' (Ie Freddy, Spirit, Hill Billy, etc.) actually do require skill. Survivors just hate going against them because they are much harder to survive against and refuse to adapt to the game play given. Some would rather deal with a Clown, Demo, or Trapper if it means most Killers would suck playing as them.
    • Keys and Moris are fine. People just don't like to be beaten so quickly or giving the opponent a possible win.
    • SWF's is fine, but they need to do something to benefit the Solo's too.
    • Any tactic used by killer that doesn't follow the "Survivor Handbook of how Killers should Play" is fine and acceptable. Slugging is okay, tunneling is okay, and camping is okay. If people can hop in a locker mid chase to avoid a hit/force killers to get their DS off, immediately unhook a survivor soon as the killer turns away, or a survivor get's unhooked to immediately go do something in the immediate area other than escape the vicinity of the killer, then the killer's tactics are acceptable. They may not be well like, but it's a strategy that either makes you lose or gives you an advantage.
    • DC bans are acceptable. Why should both Survivors and Killers suffer because someone didn't get what they wanted in the match and decide to screw everyone else over?
    • Gen rushing is a problem, but not to the degree everyone makes it out to be. Even on my best Killer as a Rank 1 with it's Meta Perks against good Survivors, I'm always down to 2-3 Gens by the third hook. I still mostly come out on top with a 4k by the time they have 1 Gen left. And if it's not a 4k, it's def a 2k.
    • NOED is a fine perk, the Survivors that complain just hate having to do more than work on Gens in matches because they want to be in and out quickly. NOED does not reward bad killers, and I've seen plenty of amazing killers who had the perk but never needed it because everyone gets massacred before the final Gen is done.
    • As of right now, there is nothing wrong with the Survivor perks like DS, BT, Unbreakable, etc. Can it be abused by toxic Survivors? Of course. But it can't be abused anymore than a Face camping Bubba using Insidious. Learn how to play against it and win.
    • Iri Axe head add-on that is used by the Huntress is fine. I don't know why people complain about. I've hardly seen it used and when I have, it's usually easy to avoid unless you let the killer get right up on you. It's no different than getting mowed down by a chainsaw, a pissed off Oni, Myers, etc. Almost every killer has some form of insta-down.