Killers

I spent 4 hours today constantly facing with freddy, spirit, spirit, freddy, spririt, huntress, spirit. Can't they face other survivors too? like have a picnic or something? unless they are doing daily rituals, why cant they use other killers as well?

Comments

• Cheers
    Cheers Member Posts: 3,426

Because these are generally the strongest killers that don’t take along time to learn.

Freddy you can pick up in your first match.

Spirit takes a few matches to learn but useful with map pressure regardless of skill.

Huntress is genuinely hard to perfect, but new Huntresses just wait for loops up until they throw hatchets.

• Deathslinger
    Deathslinger Member Posts: 570

I’m on my way...

• vigilante714
    vigilante714 Member Posts: 21

i agree they are strong. in my opinion, spirit is like a legion that has insta damage instead of deep wound. "Well she cant see the survivors she injured when phasing so she cant down them, just like legion" just bring stridor that'll fix it.

• LetsPlayTogether
    LetsPlayTogether Member Posts: 2,117

Cause those players are too bad to play killers that need actual skill.

• vigilante714

yeah im rank 2 and has 2 pips but i think ranks dont matter anymore. the matchup system sucks

• MegaWaffle
    MegaWaffle Member Posts: 4,172

I enjoy playing Myers.

If Myers ever got a rework that made him the top tier killer I would still play Myers.

Is this because I'm "too bad to play killers that need actual skill"?

Nope its because I enjoy playing Myers.

Have I just blown your mind with this logic?

• vigilante714

Now i wish the dev design something that will not let you verse against the same killer consecutively. but with the amount of players playing as killers, i guess that would never happen. thank you for your insights anyways

• LetsPlayTogether

That may goes for you, but thats obviously just a personal thing. Most players just play the OP stuff, cause nothing else "stands a chance", even if thats totally nonsense. Ands thats why mostly you have to face spirits and freddys, cause theyre braindead to play. Otherwise those players wouldnt get a single thing done, cause they lack skill.

• MegaWaffle

The issue of consistency (or lack thereof) stems from two possible directions. (My opinion)

Competitive or viable killers - People who want to play with a competitive mindset or push ranks are going to gravitate towards what provides the most consistent results (Nurse/Spirit for example)

Casual players or "fun" seekers- These people want to play the killer they enjoy the most, be it out of fandom or due to the fun gimmick builds they have. I would say I fall into this category. I have played every killer quite extensively and have nearly all the perks on each, as such I tend to play Myers, Doctor or Wraith for the fun moments I get with their more gimmick builds.

Any game will develop this problem to some extent as a "perfect balance" for both types of players may not exist. Call of Duty for example will see many people run the same guns due to the competitive edge they offer, and as thus game-play may become stale if you find dying to the same shotgun every match boring.

If the game doesn't offer enough incentive to branch out and try different things then people will stick to what they know/enjoy.

• EvilJoshy
    EvilJoshy Member Posts: 5,295
    edited March 2020

As far as which killer I decide to use. It all depends on the mood I'm in and what happened to me the previous match.

I like using trapper and ghost face. I like out smarting people with well placed traps and the jump scares from gf are funny. However there are matches where I get crushed by a competent team and I felt so powerless. Being looped for 3 gens doesn't feel fair and certainly isn't fun for me. Trapper needs time to setup. Otherwise he is a basic M1 killer. SWF counters trapper harder than most. One person see's me plant a trap and they all know where it is. GF can be kicked out of stealth provided the survivors have a brain and run while looking behind them. Instead of standing out in the open staring at him leaning around a corner then wonder why they didn't reveal him. Once those happen enough times I get upset and switch to my Nurse because I feel more in control. However I don't like using Nurse because one single screw up costs me a lot as her. I feel so slow since her so called "rework". It's not a guaranteed win but I feel I have more say in the out come. If I place my blinks I feel I can actually win a match by playing well. As my "fun" killers I feel I only excel if the survivors make a mistake. As Nurse I don't need to hope they screw up. I can just win by playing better than them. As trapper, no matter how well I play, if they are disarming my traps and know where to run, I can play well and still lose horrible because of the time required for me to catch up to them.

If you think about it this game puts a lot of importance on how fast you can make that first down. Start of the match

4 people on gens. You chase someone, 3 people on gens. That's the key point right there. You down someone. 1 person on a hook, 2 on gens, 1 making a save. You chase someone else that's 1 on hook, 1 going for a save, 1 being chased and 1 on a gen. The sooner you can make that first hook and chase someone else you went from 4 gens being worked on to 1.

When playing as killer in this game I have to make a choice. Do I want to have fun or do I want to have frustration? Either I play a fun killer but run the chance I get demolished or play a killer that can dominate but I don't have much fun using that killer. For me it's a boiling point. I play for fun until my rage hits it's limit. Then I switch to a meta killer and slaughter the next unfortunate group I come across. Then go back to using a fun killer.

TL:DR

As a fun killer I feel my success is determined by the survivor's skill. As a meta killer, my success is determined by "my" skill.

• NursesBootie
    NursesBootie Member Posts: 2,159

Bubba on red ranks holy crap that's a skillful dude right there!

• batax90
    batax90 Member Posts: 879

Because 2 of them are the best killer in the game if they could buff the other killer maybe sone people will play othet killer

• toxcitynacl
    toxcitynacl Member Posts: 464

If they nerfed Spirit into the ground to make her as bad as say Demogorgon would people still play her? How many people played Freddie before he was buffed up the b'hole? Hardly any and why do you see him constantly now? Because low skill killers can play him and still get Ks...if we returned Freddie to how he was still think these scrubs would play him? You know the answer to that one.

• Kwikwitted
    Kwikwitted Member Posts: 641
    edited March 2020

Oh that's fun, let's hold up the mirror and show this one from the other side?

"How come survivors always run Dead Hard, Adrenaline, Unbreakable, Decisive Strike, and Borrowed Time?"

Cause those players are too bad to play with perks that need actual skill.

amidoinitrite?

• Kwikwitted

Oh boy, another one we can show the mirror up to. Let's try this.

If they nerfed Dead Hard, Adrenaline, Unbreakable, Decisive Strike, and Borrowed Time to make them as bad as say (insert terrible survivor perks here) would people still use them? Hardly any and why do you see them constantly now? Because low skill survivors can use them and still get escapes. If we nerfed all those perks do you still think these scrubs would use them? You know the answer to that one.

• Kwikwitted
    edited March 2020

Can they use other killers? Yes.

Can survivors use non-meta perks? Yes.

Will they? Depends on the situation.

As Megawaffle pointed out quite clearly, competitive players are going to seek out and use the most effective means to accomplish their goal. For killers this is playing killers in the current meta who have very good chase potential, end loops quickly, and have high map mobility. So for killers Freddy, Spirit, Nurse (assume you don't mind stun simulator 5000) and Hillbilly. For survivors that means loading up with Dead Hard, Adrenaline, Unbreakable, Decisive Strike, and Borrowed Time. Same #########, just different sides.

• inferjus
    inferjus Member Posts: 479
  • toxcitynacl

Wow...I don't use any of those? Guess why? I don't need to. And if low skill scrubs wouldn't tunnel and slug and camp three of those perks would be 100% unnecessary. BT is used because you have scum killers who camp and they camp because they are trash and the only way the can get a kill is by camping.

• elvangulley
    elvangulley Member Posts: 569

They think holding m1 all game and running around crap dropping pallets is so skillful yet will come here and cry about playing strong killers and demand nerfs

• Kwikwitted

Oh man, here's what I love about survivor mains.

First you just gotta go with the "no true scotsman" fallacy. Yes Mr. Toxicity Salt, I'm sure you are just the god among men who has all the skill in the world and no true skilled player would use any of those perks, just like no true skilled killer player would ever use Freddy, or Spirit, or Nurse, or Hillbilly.

I mean, you're totally right, except for the thousands of examples where you're wrong. If I see these perks in almost every red rank game I play, does that mean that ALL of those survivors are low skill? By this logic there's no skilled survivors at red ranks except.....YOU. Wow, I'm so excited to meet you, can I sit at your feet and bask in your greatness?!

But then, the best part, you couldn't even get through the whole post without resorting to the tried and true survivor trope of "well if killers didn't do this, we wouldn't need to use those perks".

First off, no, that's not true, players who are competitive will always seek the biggest competitive advantage they can in any game in any circumstance. If I could mind control every killer main tomorrow to never tunnel or camp I would still see these perks in games constantly. The reasoning is simple, they give the best chance to survive.

Competitive players will always use the best tools to compete, it's their nature. Can you have fun with a meme build in dead by daylight? Sure you can, you might even pip with it, but people who want to rank up as fast as possible are going to gravitate to the best tools to accomplish that goal.

I'm not knocking people using these perks by the by, I totally get it, I'm a competitive player, so I will use strong killers constantly to climb to around rank 2 and then I'll usually alternate between playing to pip and playing games for fun and challenges and accepting a depip in all likelihood.

I'm pointing out the hypocrisy of whining about "no skill killers" while conveniently ignoring every meta perk survivors use constantly, or even better, using some kind of whacked out logic claiming "well those perks are only used cause of killers" lol.

• Kwikwitted

Don't forget t-bagging two feet from the safety of the exit. That's a critical skill.

• ThisGuuy83
    ThisGuuy83 Member Posts: 1,303

Sounds like someones mad there not getting ######### killers so they can bully them, and actually have to sweat a lil.

• EvilJoshy
    EvilJoshy Member Posts: 5,295
    edited March 2020

This is why blood warden is one of my favorite perks. The few times you get it to work are epic. Best part is when you hook someone near the end to activate it and NO ONE can get out unless they have a key.

• LetsPlayTogether

Were talking about killer powers, your whataboutism is nonsense.

• toxcitynacl

No that is just taunting which takes no skill to do but I suppose some skill to be able to stand at the exit gate and still be alive and yes I taunt constantly. I will say though once I was doing that...a Feng was a bit in front of me and way too far from the exit to be safe...the killer came we all three ran out and due to the traffic jam at the back of the gate I got downed by the Cannibal's chainsaw. He carried me out and hooked me. That was funny right there. I even wrote the killer that taking a line from Larry the Cable Guy. "I hate killers, but I don't care who you are...that's funny right there."

• toxcitynacl

Me? Hardly. I get at least as many trash killers I can abuse as not.

• MegaWaffle

Wrong person to ask that question too because I actually had more fun playing old Freddy. Also check my other responses where I answer (my opinion) the very minset you have regarding the subject.

• Jigsaw_pprentice1993
    Jigsaw_pprentice1993 Member Posts: 225

Not really my most played killers are pig bubba ghosface main piggy and i do very well on red ranks people just want to have EZ games

• Kwikwitted

.....You know that statement was sarcasm right?

Actually you're statement was this:

Cause those players are too bad to play killers that need actual skill.

As far as I was concerned, we had ceased discussing killer power and discussed whether it was "skillful" to play strong killers or not. I simply reflected the argument to question whether survivors were "skillful" if they were using all the second chance meta perks.

I gather you didn't like that analogy so now you're trying to hand wave it away pretending it's irrelevant, shame, I thought it was one of my better posts, others appreciated it, lighten up buttercup :)

• Cheers

In the current meta, most of the best killers are ones that don't take skill. Now there are ones that do take skill such as Hillbilly and Nurse, but both of them take time, and many people don't want to put in the effort.

• Kwikwitted
    edited March 2020

You actually think Hillbilly takes more skill than someone like Spirit? I mean, what?

At least spirit has to make reads, do some level of mind-gaming. Billy is a blunt instrument, he's a sentimental favorite of mine and he's the first killer I climbed to Rank 1 with, and to this day, the ONLY killer I've ever bothered to prestige (cause who cares about bloody versions of standard clothes when you've got cosmetics?) but he's as simplistic as they come, the only level of skill on Hillbilly is learning to back-rev and if you are so inclined learning to play drift king but it is hardly required to be effective with him.

• Ohnoes
    Ohnoes Member Posts: 608

It's just preference and in the case of spirit more people are gonna play her since the rift requires her along with doctor.

I mean... Not really. Plenty of survivors choose to not run meta perks because they like others or want to try new stuff/make it more challenging. It's an exception to the rule. Yeah people play how they want to play and sometimes that means picking something that's worse statistically. It don't however mean that the majority aren't opting for a low learning curve. That's why games are designed around that.

• Desh
    Desh Member Posts: 1,118

Ah yes, people who play killers should ONLY use hard to play/weak killers because that'll give the survivors a better chance to survive. I can't tell you the amount of times I've seen people DC or hook suicide when facing a Freddy. Even if it wasn't a forever Freddy and the player was actually legit (not tunneling, camping, let's you get 3 hooks, essentially playing by the invisible survivor handbook of how killers should play), he was still berated and treated like trash because he got a 4k as Freddy. Mind you, that's just Freddy. This doesn't account for the same crap I've seen in Spirit, HillBilly, Huntress, Death Slinger, Bubba, damn near every killer EXCEPT Trapper, Demo, Clown because their powers are damn near worthless if not used correctly.

• Kwikwitted

Yes, a lot of it, over multiple years.

Spirit at least has a learning curve, Billy's entire kit can be learned in one game.

Spirit requires reads and using hearing which is bugged on DBD, Billy can literally just get behind someone and chainsaw.

Spirit has to use her power for mobility, Billy can use his power for mobility and instantly stop and start using his power to insta-down someone.

To pretend that Billy requires skill and somehow Spirit doesn't is objectively false.

• Cheers

Yet again, my personal experience.

One reason that may have affected this is that I'm partially blind in my right eye, so I'm used to not using my sight, but rather my hearing to find survivors.

• Clevite
    Clevite Member Posts: 4,335

I hate the pig. Respect! Piggy always make for a hard game for me!

• ad19970
    ad19970 Member Posts: 6,356

And which killers do need skill? Am I allowed to play Doctor or Oni?

• Kwikwitted

Damn, in that case that absolutely makes sense.

Ironically I think I'm the opposite, I was in an IED blast in 2009 and lost most of the hearing in my right ear, so directional hearing is very difficult for me (I often need to turn my good ear toward a sound or someone speaking to hear it clearly) so I tend to rely on sight significantly more than sound.

I still maintain that spirit does require skill in at least making reads and mind-gaming pallets, whereas Billy can just chainsaw through them and keep chasing in a straight line direction, but you are definitely correct that certain sensory deprivations could change what killer a particular player finds easier.

• Uistreel
    Uistreel Member Posts: 634

Because they are the strong ones that you can actually win with and have fun playing as. It would be the same if I was playing killer for 4 hours and went 'why are all the survivors using dead hard, sprint burst, ds, borrowed time, adrenaline, why can't they just use deja vu or slippery meat.' Why would they?

• Huff
    Huff Member Posts: 1,480

Because people don't like to have fun, they like easy wins. That's why Nurse was almost all you'd see high ranks before she got the nerf hammer.