The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

What's up with all this Hex Notification Spam?

I LOVE Thrill of the hunt. But I swear, like every 3rd match or so (at rank 2 or 1), there is at least one survivor in my game who taps the hex totems (I use ruin + thrill) VERY QUICKLY (could also be a macro) so I get spammed with all these explosion notifications.

• I am chasing one survivor - someone starts spamming me
  • I get to the totem, chasing the spamming one, another one (survive with friends?) starts spamming the other totem, half map away. I literally CAN'T hear the footsteps or other survivor when he is injured because of the loud explosion notifications (which especially hurts nurse). If I abort the chase or lose track of the survivor - you guessed it, the other survivor already at the other totem again, spamming the f*** out of it. They don't even bother properly cleansing it.

Don't get me wrong, they spam it like in 0.001 seconds succession. In the end screen, they argue this is by all means NOT bannable, because not holding the game hostage and not an exploit of some sort.
What are your thoughts on this?

Comments

• PinkEricka
    PinkEricka Member Posts: 1,042
    edited September 2018
    Hard to say but in my opinion, I don’t think it’s bannable since they’re not really breaking any rules. They were doing it to piss you off.
  • Master
    Master Member Posts: 10,200

Either you mute your sound which puts you at a real disadvantage or you DC.
    Sadly the devs have designed this game without thinking how toxic people can exploit their mechanics.

I wouldnt use TOTH anyway because SWF can easily counter it and you have 2 dead perks then

• fcc2014
    fcc2014 Member Posts: 4,388
    They are creating a distraction for you to potentially  break chase. Seems more like good strategy. As long as it doesn't crash your game i dont see a problem wth it. The group you played against sounds highly coordinated. You should submit it for the next youtube Q&A . Maybe a quality of life issue.
  • Delfador
    Delfador Member Posts: 2,552

@Master said:
    Sadly the devs have designed this game without thinking how toxic people can exploit their mechanics.

I wouldnt use TOTH anyway because SWF can easily counter it and you have 2 dead perks then

Yes TOTH should be a normal perk not a hex totem. You don't even know which totem is more important for you.

• Snapshot
    Snapshot Member Posts: 914

I also don't understand, why the devs don't rate limit or make it so you can only tap the totem every 3 seconds or so. @Peanits any information on that?
    It is indeed VERY annoying, I have to admit, as I use this perk too. And the constant spam really hinders the gameplay as tracking survivors by sounds is not possible with the loud explosions going all over the place.
    I also had a couple of matches where they were constantly spamming BOTH totems. Now when you don't lower your sounds significantly, you will definitely get deaf >_<

• Master

@Snapshot said:
    I also don't understand, why the devs don't rate limit or make it so you can only tap the totem every 3 seconds or so. @Peanits any information on that?
    It is indeed VERY annoying, I have to admit, as I use this perk too. And the constant spam really hinders the gameplay as tracking survivors by sounds is not possible with the loud explosions going all over the place.
    I also had a couple of matches where they were constantly spamming BOTH totems. Now when you don't lower your sounds significantly, you will definitely get deaf >_<

The game benefits from the toxic guys too, its all about $.
    For the same reason you can click your flashlight like an idiot.

Just DC in such a match, its pointless and they can do that all game

• Snapshot
    Snapshot Member Posts: 914

@Delfador said:

@Master said:

Yes TOTH should be a normal perk not a hex totem. You don't even know which totem is more important for you.

Yeah it really should be a normal Perk, 100% agree. Also maybe increase the bloodpoints gain (not everyone uses / has BBQ&C). Thrill of the Hunt is the only solution to making totems anything near viable for me. Because when you don't defend them, they are gone in less than 30 seconds most of the time sadly :(

• hisu
    hisu Member Posts: 20

@Master said:

@Snapshot said:

And what if I used ultra rare addons and very rare offerings? They are gone... :(

• Master

@hisu said:

@Master said:

@Snapshot said:

And what if I used ultra rare addons and very rare offerings? They are gone... :(

Yes, but at this point I dont care honestly.
    If you wanna go through such a game just for a few BP, nobody will stop you^^

• PinkEricka
    fcc2014 said:
    They are creating a distraction for you to potentially  break chase. Seems more like good strategy. As long as it doesn't crash your game i dont see a problem wth it. The group you played against sounds highly coordinated. You should submit it for the next youtube Q&A . Maybe a quality of life issue.
    Are you sure? It sounds like to me they were moreover trolling since @hisu said they spam the totem as soon as they got into a chase.

@hisu , what did they say in the end game chat?
  • hisu

@PinkEricka said:
    fcc2014 said:

Are you sure? It sounds like to me they were moreover trolling since @hisu said they spam the totem as soon as they got into a chase.

I just told them the spam was very annoying (if not game breaking because you can't hear anything besides the explosions) and that they really should not do it, and I would report them. They then said they don't care and "10/10 would spam again" because it is not bannable ("not even close"), and so there is no point in reporting them.
    In my opinion, they were not only trolling and meming around, but outright ABUSING the system. The spam is so severe, I don't think that anyone could click that fast to be honest >_<

• hisu

@fcc2014 said:

If you don't see a problem with that SEVERE spam, it hasn't happened to you properly. If you would only experience one match of what I have to go through, I bet it would change your mind.

• hisu

Also, it should be a temporary ban, because under their bannable offences, they list "abusing errors in design" and thus gaining a "competitive advantage"? Am I right?

• Master

@PinkEricka said:
    fcc2014 said:

It is not trolling, it is straight up harssment.
    Have you ever experienced this on the killer side?

• ceridwen309
    ceridwen309 Member Posts: 502
    edited September 2018

I don't think the creators intended such an abuse of mechanic. Although, I can't say I don't pallet jump, locker hop, and soon (Throw stones) to distract the killer occasionally.

It's the same problem with people who go afk. I know they don't mean to....but the
    constant explosions are a bit annoying and distracting. Good incentive to down them.(Which I try hard not to do.) I know the pressure of random life.

Actually taking it a step further, and purposely blowing up the screen like mad with explosions....should not be overly encouraged to this degree you are referring too.

Definitely record it if you can...and report it on the support page.(just to make it more official like.)

https://support.deadbydaylight.com/hc/en-us

• Giving @Peanits a heads up. See what his thoughts on this madness are.
  • Grey87
    Grey87 Member Posts: 346

Why should hex tap be banable?
    That's how thrill works. Don't run it if it bothers you.
    Lol.

• Master

@ceridwen309 said:
    I don't think the creators intended such an abuse of mechanic. Although, I can't say I don't pallet jump, locker hop, and soon (Throw stones) to distract the killer occasionally.

It's the same problem with people who go afk. I know they don't mean to....but the
    constant explosions are a bit annoying and distracting. Good incentive to down them.(Which I try hard not to do.) I know the pressure of random life.

Actually taking it a step further, and purposely blowing up the screen like mad with explosions....should not be overly encouraged to this degree you are referring too.

Definitely record it if you can...and report it on the support page.(just to make it more official like.)

https://support.deadbydaylight.com/hc/en-us

• Giving @Peanits a heads up. See what his thoughts on this madness are.

The afk crows notification is nowhere close to the actual exploit by palletjump/locker hoping or even hex tappging (which is the worst btw).

Since its harassment, it is definitely bannable in theory

• brokedownpalace
    brokedownpalace Member Posts: 8,792
    I've literally never heard someone complain about this before. I can tell you one thing, though, this post will make plenty of people realize this is a great distraction and they'll start doing it.
  • ceridwen309
    ceridwen309 Member Posts: 502

Sorry about that Peanits. I did only send one for this thread that I know of.

I like your idea on the possible totem spam fix. 10 or so seconds should be sufficient. Also, thanks for being awesome you. I can only hope to keep improving.

• PinkEricka
    Master said:

@PinkEricka said:
    fcc2014 said:

It is not trolling, it is straight up harssment.
    Have you ever experienced this on the killer side?

Nope, it’s never happened to me. I don’t ever run TOTH so I guess it’s to be expected.
  • chemical_reject
    chemical_reject Member Posts: 940
    Dude that's genius. Next time someone has TOTH I'm not gonna break any totems until another survivor is in chase then I'm gonna Tap the ######### out of it. Thanks for the idea!!!!
  • Dustin
    Dustin Member Posts: 2,290

I've had this happen to me before and it's pretty annoying although I wouldn't want to see anyone banned over this as annoying as it is. Just put a cap on how frequent each totem can notify you and be done with it. Although I don't really see it happening enough to think it warrants a change. I have near 1000 hours and I've only had people do this to me in one game.

Personally I've tapped totems when TOTH was on the map to distract killer but I don't spam it. Tapping it almost always gets the killers attention.

For notification cooldown pretty much what Peanits said. Give each totem an individual timer on how frequent they can give a notification between 5-10 seconds.

• DemonDaddy
    DemonDaddy Member Posts: 4,167
    I have to agree that being spammed the way you described it seems very trollish, but I would prefer the devs  fix this then issue it as a bannable offense
  • hisu

Any news on this?

• PolarBear
    PolarBear Member Posts: 1,899

Well, if they are spamming the totem it means that there is one less person on gens so...

Besides, couldn't the players just use lockers to spam as well?

• hisu

By any respect, with lockers they can not spam NEARLY as fast as with Thrill of the Hunt. Like when doing it with a macro

• Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,614
    edited April 2019

Give it the SFTS treatment?

But then make it so you'll get notifications as long as they cleanse, not just when they start.

• ABannedCat
    ABannedCat Member Posts: 2,529

It would just be nice, if Dead by Daylight had any basic audio settings, like litterally every other game nowadays. I would like to be able to mute, or tone down the volume of hex notification, or any sound notifications for that matter. Why do the developers not think of that? Or does that upset the "balance"?

• BigBubs
    BigBubs Member Posts: 1,131

Don't use it if you don't want this to happen. No one will get banned for that.