Both sides need to quit with these unwritten rules

johnmwarner
johnmwarner Member Posts: 3,793

As someone who plays both sides about 50:50 and watches a few streamers who play both sides I get to see comments, whining, insults from both angles and it always comes down to one side trying to force their way to play on the other. Here’s the thing though, everyone had a different idea of the “proper way,” to play the game so we can’t go by that. All we can go by is the actual rules that the people who made the game put in them. Just some examples.

Survivors mad the killer didn’t “take it easy,” or farm with them when their first teammate killed himself first hook.

Killers mad that survivors shouldn’t be able to use DS in a locker, or shouldn’t go back to work a gen within that minute of invincibility.

Survivors mad that a killer tunneled them instead of making sure they rotated hooks so everyone got hooked twice before anyone got the death hook.

Killers mad a survivor unhooked right in their face with BT and then that person body blocked for them all to escape safely.

Survivors mad a killer stacked 3 gen slowdown perks and made the game “boring” for them.

Comments

• KingOfBadRNG
    KingOfBadRNG Member Posts: 425
    edited April 2020

Welcome to the forums where you'll hear crys of supposed killer/survivor mains where they complain about their internal troubles that they have and couldn't git gud. Were no one will take anythimg seriously but it fun to see what some people come up with and have a chuckle until it blows up or get shamed if you want attention just place how is this fair or rework this perk/killer and swarms of people will flood the discussion and posting. Unless you talk about something logical that make scene and nobody cares for that because they all came hear to express of their "expert knowledge" and how they are right and everybody's wrong unless they agree with their opinions which I like to call factions.

• BigBrainMegMain
    BigBrainMegMain Member Posts: 3,826

Both sides want to have fun.

It's the reason for every nerf/buff.

If one side is having more fun than the other, then changes are made.

It is what it is. Unwritten rules yeah, but these "unwritten rules" kind of dominate the balance.

• KingOfBadRNG
    KingOfBadRNG Member Posts: 425

The funniest part is that non of this matters the devs dont read any of these and take it seriously. unless it bugs they oversee the discussions to make sure that no one is using profanity they'll help community by answering questions or making a few jokes. I don't know why people come here tho is it to get some online fame or to tell their hatred of this game.

• johnmwarner

Not all of the unwritten rules are balance issues, fun/unfun yes but balance not always. Camping has nothing to do with balance for example. I could argue that camping is actually the weakest way to play killer because if the players do what they should by the time that player dies the gates are getting opened. Yet we see calls for bans for camping...

Similarly teabagging annoys killers but is no way unbalanced, again if anything it hurts the survivors because they waste preschools time squatting.

• BigBrainMegMain

They actually got the idea of the End Game Collapse from ideas on the forums.

It was a discussion a while ago on how the Hatch can be fixed and someone literally pitched the exact same End Game Collapse scenario that you see today.

• BigBrainMegMain

Camping is just something they can't PHYSICALLY control you know? They can't grab the keys/controller from the killer and force him to leave the hooked survivors. So they implement perks to stop the regressing timer of the hooked person, Borrowed Time, Kindred, you know the deal.

Camping is staying unfortunately, but the devs have been making perks and changes to ease out the frustration it provides.

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814
    edited April 2020

The problem isn't so much these 'unwritten rules' as it is the sheer frustration this game almost deliberately fosters. Survivors have so many second chance perks it's not funny, I cannot count the number of rank 1 teams I have come across that fail their way into my arms only to be ripped out by yet another uncounterable second chance perk. Screwed up a loop? DH for distance. Got too altruistic? Locker DS. Couldn't find a locker? DS/Unbreakable. Got a good snowball? Unbreakable. Another good snowball? Second Unbreakable.

Then you go play survivor and it's full of hard-tunelling killers because, hey, that's the only rewarded strat in the whole game. People like to pretend that's not the case because a good survivor can run the killer around, but what happens when the killer knows to go after the weak link? All you can do is watch your teammate die. If you try and help, the few seconds you buy just aren't worth the gen time you gave up. Or, and this is even better, someone gets facecamped to death, everyone else pops the gens, and NOED. 'Sure, do bones noob', well how about we not have such a ridiculous perk that pops if you go stand in a corner the entire match and do absolutely nothing? Doing dulls in solo que is almost impossible, anyway. Not even joking, you get 4/5 and you just wasted 2 minutes. NOED is like a survivor perk.

And so, with great reference to the enjoyment of all, people ask each other not to do these things so maybe games cam be actually fun for anyone that isn't a complete, empathy-devoid psycho. Because like it or not, this isn't a single player experience. You want to roleplay as an arsehole, you're just BEING an arsehole to someone actually real on the other end.

• Cheers
    Cheers Member Posts: 3,426

What happens when someone writes them down on some paper?

• GrannyonAcid
    GrannyonAcid Member Posts: 476

People are allowed to feel how they want. If it's a three vs one and you tunnel and camp hooks and slug the third guy to go for a 4k. I'm not going to flame you in the lobby. I'm a pretty quiet guy. But I'm certainly going to sit there and be baffled by how pathetic you are that you had to waste everyone's time being afraid that one person might escape by hatch. Free to play however you wanna play. But if people don't like it you can't sit there and tell them you have to like it either. This thread is kinda pointless.

• oxygen
    oxygen Member Posts: 3,309

I honestly just go by the good old "do unto others as you would have them do unto you".

People can play however they want, but if they play in an "unfun" or "toxic" way and then cry when their opponent(s) do the same they're not getting even the tiniest bit of sympathy from me. The one thing I would like to ask is for people to avoid playing with "make others mad" as an actual primary motivation, call it griefing or "playing for salt" you know exactly what I mean.

But I'm not ever actually going to say anything like that to another player, because all of this stuff is subjective. I probably have a very restrictive use of words like "toxic" and "griefing" and meanwhile there's people that seem to think staying near a hook when there's 3 survivors swarming it or having the conscious thought of clicking the SWF button on the main menu is inherently toxic and "playing for salt" so... 😂

• Raven014
    Raven014 Member Posts: 4,188

Um, I hate to say it, but if you want a 4k every match (especially at red), that is usually the best method, since a downed person cant crawl as far. It's really nothing about being pathetic, it is just because they don't want a kill they have struggled to earn stolen by a random mechanic (which it technically can be, but with BBQ, it usually isn't). Then again, every game I have has at least 1 key, so what do I know? : P

• Shocktober
    Shocktober Member Posts: 678

I get the most salt in the game camping the basement as leatherface. Mori's also mean your family doesn't love you and you are a horrible human being.

YOU ARE A TERRIBLE PERSON, WHO HURT YOU? - Survivor with 4x second perks (aka the full crutch build) mad they can't genrush and end the game in 3 minutes. Also the map is fractured cowshed with a pallet literally every 2 feet but they still go down easy.

• Fibijean
    Fibijean Member Posts: 8,342
    edited April 2020

No one is saying they have to like it, but they don't have to be a jerk about it. As my grandmother used to say, "if you don't have anything nice to say, just say gg and leave".

• LALYTHIA
    LALYTHIA Member Posts: 1,656

Nah fam, I'm gonna continue to push for sportsmanship and consideration of others in this game. Always.

• GhostofYharnam
    GhostofYharnam Member Posts: 597

If only more people were like this

• PigMainClaudette
    PigMainClaudette Member Posts: 3,842

Well, not "following" these "unwritten rules" leads to perks like Decisive Strike and Borrowed Time being created, so I'm of the opinion that if some people did unto others as they wished to be treated, then we wouldn't have complaints about how people abuse them, since they wouldn't need to exist.

• johnmwarner

Fair point, I have a “code,” I follow but it’s entirely self imposed and if it screws me over because the other side is “toxic,” then I’m still okay with it.

As killer I won’t tunnel, because when I play survivor I know that getting like 30 seconds of actual play time before being tunneled off hook and modi’s stinks.

As survivor I don’t sit at exit gates when it’s clearly over, because as killer I hate those few wasted moments of people forcing me to walk to the gate so I can see them leave and teabag.

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814

It's called "The Survivors Rulebook For Killer, Complete Edition."

• oxygen
    oxygen Member Posts: 3,309

Oh yeah in general there's nothing wrong with having rules for yourself at all. I'm the same, I'd much rather go for more hits and hooks than camp out a kill, and I'll happily die to make someone else escape.

The issue is when people try to force their personal rules on others afterall.

• Cheers
    Cheers Member Posts: 3,426

Ah many survivors have reccomend that to me after I got a 4k with 0 gens being completed, but my local library doesn't have it.

• johnmwarner

which I guess is every facet of life, religion, politics, etc. lol

Im with you, I would rather have good chases, hook everyone once or twice and get zero kills with good bloodpoints. Then I’m pretty confident everyone had fun.

Things insidious camping Bubba may be fun for some people so if so good for them, whatever floats your boat.

• FlintBeastgood
    FlintBeastgood Member Posts: 97

Killer: Is there a Killer's Rulebook for Survivors?

Survivors: Hahahahahahahhaha.

I do love the DBD parody animations.

• ZoneDymo
    ZoneDymo Member Posts: 1,946

wrong though, the only reason camping is allowed is because the devs have no way of policing it.