Will the new matchmaking solve the low rank vs high rank problems?

I know the new matchmaking system will be hiding other players ranks but is this going to be with an improvement or just a way of hiding the fact that experienced players are getting placed against newer players.

I have had matches as both killer and survivor where the player/s I'm against are significantly higher rank than me.

I've had full teams of red ranks at only green rank as killer and have been placed against red rank killers multiple times as green rank survivor.

Whilst I'm red rank survivor now I still get matches as killer against full red rank teams whilst still being at green rank.

So is this problem being looked into or will the new matchmaking just hide it?

Comments

• FKreuger1
    FKreuger1 Member Posts: 43

The way the new matchmaking will work is it will get a large amount of people into a group, match as many games as possible with close score numbers and the remaining games might be a bit unbalanced.

To counter the unbalanced factor of the last few games, if you are matched with people with a higher score, you will gain more points than normal for winning, pr lose barely any points for losing.

In short, I wouldn't expect amazingly balanced matchmaking, if i was the devs and I had just fixed it, I wouldn't hide the ranks/scores, I would leave them visible so the players know it's fixed.

• Rullisi
    Rullisi Member Posts: 392

It didn't seem to solve anything really. It's just more confusing with this old rank showing your rank falsely. I still get a lot of completely unbalanced games a lot, especially if I am in swf but also when solo, recently. Ranks are also much worse when I have to match with russians. There should be matchmaking filters to filter out swf, killers, countries.

• TheShape13_TDZ
    TheShape13_TDZ Member Posts: 41

Yeah I actually feel blessed when I get a full team that is my rank as killer and not the four man swf rank 1 groups that I'm used to getting, I have nothing against swf as long as the highest rank is equal to or slightly above the killers.

• Rullisi
    Rullisi Member Posts: 392

Yeah those are nice. Whenever I play killer, I often get like one very skilled player and two similar skill level and one bit worse player. The games are really only ever bad for myself then if I commit to the best player too much or I get unlucky with maps or their perks etc. As a survivor, it's very rare that the killer is as dumb as I am.

• GoddamnBananas
    GoddamnBananas Member Posts: 54

This is BHVR were talking about. Anything to reduce the number of rainbow games (a person of every rank color) I get on both sides would be great. Or games like a couple hours ago when I went up against two red ranks, and two rank 20's. As a rank 12 at the time. I hope to God well see an improvement, but I don't have high hopes. And while this game could use a reduction in toxicity, hiding ranks isn't gonna help. Let's hope I'm wrong though.

• TheShape13_TDZ
    edited April 2020

You said it, I've seen threads about how this will just be a band aid to get rid of all the posts with the rainbow match images like you mentioned. however I will try to give the devs the benefit of the doubt and be hopeful that it will improve.

• qquestion
    qquestion Member Posts: 86

I’m going to try it but if I feel there was no fix, just a hiding of ranks, I’m going to either continue finding news ways to have fun or quit. I really think Ima just find new ways to have fun by any means. I like seeing these horror characters and playing them and against them but I want it to be a fair match making toward ranks, so I can play fair.

• Fibijean
    Fibijean Member Posts: 8,342

Depends who you ask. I suspect it will fix the problem you're describing, since that's actually a bug with the current system, so unless they port that over, bugs and all, to use for the MMR system, the same issue shouldn't still exist in both versions.

• TheShape13_TDZ

I wasn't actually aware that it was a bug, even though it explains a lot, Thanks.

• Fibijean

Yeah, I think the bug specifically has to do with how the algorithm processes the killer's rank - sometimes it receives incorrect rank information from the server, and so it matches them with survivors based on the 'false' rank. So if you get, for example, a rank 9 killer matched against four red-ranked survivors, that's probably what's happening because the system has essentially mistaken that rank 9 for a red-ranked killer and matched them accordingly.

• TheShape13_TDZ

That has actually given me some hope that after the update I'll actually be put against people who are my rank and be able to enjoy playing as killer again.

• Fibijean
  • sulaiman
    sulaiman Member Posts: 3,219

What exactly is this bug then? What does it do, and why does it happen?

• Tarvesh
    Tarvesh Member Posts: 765

No. It won't. The new matchmaking system can't account for tunneling, SWF, Perk levels (and their effectiveness), solo survivors not comig to unhook you, map variation (certain maps are killer/survivor sided), etc.

It's a performanced based matchmaking that takes ZERO of these factors in consideration. All the new matchmaking does is ask if you had a good or bad game without any consideration for what actually happened.

They're just hiding the ranking system and making the game a free for all so they no longer have to worry about it.

• TheShape13_TDZ

Do we know what will be counted as a "win" for killers yet? Will they have to get a 4k for it to count as a win or will a 2k count as a win?