do you see slugging as toxic?

Options
brubli
brubli Member Posts: 214

Browsing the forum I see a lot of people talking badly about slugging. I see it compared to tunneling/camping and I just don't get it. Sometimes you need to slug survivors to get more than one or to just get a buttload of pressure and sure you might also need to tunnel/camp but only in really rare scenarios and slugging for pressure is far from rare. Excluding those rare scenarios I just don't get how slugging/tunneling/camping can be seen as the same levels of toxic.

Comments

• GhostofYharnam
    GhostofYharnam Member Posts: 597
    Options

I don't mind it unless the killer has a build for slugging and refuses to hook anyone.

• TheButcher
    TheButcher Member Posts: 871
    Options

Kind of, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do

• PBsamichShoe
    PBsamichShoe Member Posts: 314
    Options

I think there's room for it to be toxic like previous people have commented, but to a large extent it's just another strategy.

I'll slug if there's some sweaty SWF team standing by in plain sight or rushing to save the person I just downed. I've actually had this happen multiple times. A whole group of three other players all in plain sight like 6 feet away from em and the downed survivor and they're all either waiting for an opening to come in and heal them or flashlight blind me and then heal them or they just outright start rushing me to heal and take hits in the hopes they'll get the person up. What happens is if they get the person up then I just easily and immediately down them again and it's not fun for them or me, the only people having fun are the three other SWF players. I've literally had to just stand over a survivor until they bled out because this happened and there was no other strategy to deal with it. On the occasions where I've been playing as leatherface and this happened I literally just used the chainsaw and downed all four survivors in one shot. Like, srsly ######### were they thinking?

Otherwise I'll slug if I know I'm playing against a squad of solo players and the person is on their last hook (death hook) and I know they haven't gotten much or very good play time. I'll slug them and leave and patrol some gens so their teammates can heal them up and get them back in the game. Then, where possible, I'll try not to focus on them if I end up spotting them right away after they have gotten healed. I'll only do this once per match and only under those circumstances where the person hasn't really gotten much play time or it really would be frustrating for them to be killed. It's very situational but I try to make a good judgement call on it in the service of providing a good clean, fun match for everyone.

• aregularplayer
    aregularplayer Member Posts: 906
    Options

yes, but works. what can i do?

• sulaiman
    sulaiman Member Posts: 3,214
    Options

So, slugging is just a tactic, and usually fair. Dont fall for it.

• brubli
    brubli Member Posts: 214
    Options
  • DelsKibara
    DelsKibara Member Posts: 3,127
    Options

Nope, I understand why the killer does it.

Does it suck to be the person slugged? Maybe, but if I recover fully I at least have a chance to keep the game going when a teammate comes in to rescue me.

• BeHasU
    BeHasU Member Posts: 830
    Options

How is it toxic? If you down 1 person with Oni and other 2 survivors scream because of Infectious, you need to slug that one guy so you can get more people down.

Toxic slugging is when you just down everyone who is still alive and just let them bleed out for 4 min

• The_Horde
    The_Horde Member Posts: 107
    Options

The only toxic part about slugging is people complaining that slugging is toxic. 99% of the stuff in this game that people say are toxic aren't actually toxic, IMO. If the game mechanic is working as intended by the developers then I'm sorry, its not toxic. Lets face it, just because someone loses to something other than a three hook with no tunneling or camping doesn't make the thing they lost to toxic. That's not just for survivor mains either, that goes for the killer side complaining about flashlights, gen rushing, keys, and hook swarming.

Now, that's not to say that we shouldn't voice our opinions and try to get things that we don't like changed, but this crusade where we call out everything besides what we consider to be "vanilla" game play as toxic is silly.

• xenofon13
    xenofon13 Member Posts: 1,241
    Options

Toxic no. Sweaty yes. Especially at 5 gens sluggin is stupid and boring.

• Deadeye
    Deadeye Member Posts: 3,627
    Options

Toxic means when you do stuff to piss people off intentionally. To an extend maybe when a killer goes for the 4k camping a slug, waiting for the last one to show up because he is simply afraid of losing the hatch race. Or stuff like that. Letting you bleed out on purpose, or while placing traps to farm points, waiting until last second before picking you up and stuff like that is toxic.

Slugging off hook because of a damn unsafe unhook without BT is not toxic, that is just taking advantage. Blame the survivor for that. Slugging with another one being in a chase directly around a gen that is on 80+%? Strategy, fine too. If there is no reason for slugging, you can consider it being toxic. But that is in just rare cases. Camping is more likely to be meant toxic (or more specific, face camping).

• xenotimebong
    xenotimebong Member Posts: 2,803
    Options

The only time slugging is toxic is when you slug one person and let them bleed out for the full timer, refusing to hook them or let them be picked up. Strategic slugging is fine.

• MadArtillery
    MadArtillery Member Posts: 826
    Options

It's absolutely mandatory nowadays with ds on everyone. What killer can, just get by without slugging? Have ds god mode people body blocking you all day if you couldn't slug em.

• Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,614
    Options

Lol no...

But i would be annoyed if i got slugged.

But to me: Annoyed =/= toxic.

• SnakeSound222
    SnakeSound222 Member Posts: 4,467
    Options

Only if the Killer purposefully lets the Survivor bleed out.

• CakeDuty
    CakeDuty Member Posts: 994
    Options

Toxic? No, unless the killer has downed everyone and just letting them bleed out

Extremely boring? Yes, being slugged as a survivor is really boring

Sweaty? Yes, especially when they do it at 5 gens left or do it for the 4k, I really don't care enough about pips to slug for the 4k. Though I can't deny that sometimes it's the best way to slow down the game and do it myself, if I feel like there's not enough pressure on the survivors.

Though I'd never call anyone toxic for slugging unless the reason stated above.

• Poweas
    Poweas Member Posts: 5,873
    Options

I don't see it as toxic... But that might be because I do it a lot, but I sometimes see it as the only way to counter genrush.

• JPLongstreet
    JPLongstreet Member Posts: 5,466
    edited April 2020
    Options

There is a feeling of hopelessness when you are hurt and being chased, two are dead and there's more than one gen left. You are kinda certain you will be slugged for the 4th surv. Makes me pause a lil when I'm killing and enter this scenario. Maybe I've been that 3rd surv too often, especially with Unbreakable already spent...

It is a valid strat none the less.

• Huff
    Huff Member Posts: 1,480
    Options

If they intend on actually hooking me, no. If they just plan on leaving everybody waiting around for nothing, then kinda.

• csandman1977
    csandman1977 Member Posts: 2,358
    Options

Like stated above. Its only 'toxic' if there is ni intention to hook. Bleeding out isn't toxic if the downed person hides and killer cant find them.

Although i one time only played a slugging build with og freddy. I had 3 downed and felt so bad i started hooking. I then apologized after the match. It was an insanely easy vicotory but nit at all rewarding

• Rie
    Rie Member Posts: 86
    Options

Toxic? No.

Boring if I'm on the receiving end? Yes.

I could bring Unbreakable, but I dislike 2nd chance perks so I guess I'll just have to deal with it the normal way.

What would be cool: if your bleedout timer reaches a certain time have a concede button for me to leave the match and keep my points?

Just a thought.

• Doomspooge
    Doomspooge Member Posts: 184
    Options

Na slugging is fine. It was even encouraged a lot by survivors as a solution to the old hatch standoffs. "If you don't wanna deal with a standoff just slug the 3rd and find the 4th, ez" they used to say. The only time i would count it as toxic is as many others have already said, when you do it to intentionally make everyone bleed out. Lost crawling survivors don't count in that. Some survivors, including myself (guilty), have crawled off to bleed out to deny the killer a hook. So there's that.

• Kon
    Kon Member Posts: 76
    Options

its fine unless its only 2 survs left and he slugged him/you to go find the other one. kinda toxic, and slows down the game for all 3 ppl to a snails pace (especially when the first slug cant be found now and waiting for him to bleed out)

all so he can get that one last kill "guaranteed"

• CoffeeKiller
    CoffeeKiller Member Posts: 10
    Options

I don't see it as toxic. Of course some killers just do it for a laugh as people bleed out. Which could be seen as toxic. But whatever I'll just move on to the next game.

But I do it sometimes to get a few people of gens and give myself a chance to get back in the game considering someone has to go heal them.

I also sometimes slug the 3rd survivor if I think they planning on a hatch escape for the last and they obviously know where it is. (Sometimes I'll allow it if they ain't toxic survivors and I think I have pipped, or I feel like being nice I'll even give the one I slugged the hatch as a sorry lol).

• oxygen
    oxygen Member Posts: 3,289
    Options

It's just a thing that people can do, which can be used both tactically and for pure "griefing".

Without getting into what counts as "toxic", lets compare it to flashlights. People can be spammed and clickyclicked which some find annoying and toxic, but they can also be used for their "intended" purpose which is to blind the killer in one situation or another. Just like slugging can be used to pressure more survivors or save time, but it can also be used to down someone and follow them around while nodding for 4 minutes for no real tactical reason.

Unless your'e talking about straight up exploits and stuff like that, things aren't usually inherently toxic. It's about how they're used. Of course, some people think any slugging is toxic and any use of flashlights is toxic, but they're just kinda... wrong if you ask me. Scrub mentality and all that.

• Arxaion
    Arxaion Member Posts: 104
    edited April 2020
    Options

It's definitely annoying if the killer's whole build is central to slugging, but it isn't toxic and I don't blame them for trying different things. There's a bleed-out timer for a reason.

• Champagne
    Champagne Member Posts: 110
    Options

I mean I wouldn’t call it toxic? It’s just a strategy for killers to use, plus if people think that that is toxic take a look at the face-campers, those are people I see as toxic.