Why dont some survivors like stealth

I've been having lots of fun playing stealthily and creeping around the map all immersed and stuff but some people say they hate it, in my opinion it's pretty fun. Maybe it's not for everyone, I'm not gonna force someone to play a certain way

Comments

• CoolAKn
    CoolAKn Member Posts: 677

I think for some people it just doesn't match their play style. Some survivors are objective-based, like I mostly am. Some survivors are distraction-based, where they can keep the killer busy while other do things.

Some people just don't see the need for it, but for my play style, having one perk that will alert me when the killer is nearby is all the stealth I might need. It also depends heavily on the available perks. For instance, I have a Level 15 David King, and I currently have No Mither, Resilience, Deja Vu, and Dead Hard. All of the other perks I have available don't grant me very much stealth. The only one that tells me where the killer is is Dark Sense, and most of the time, I don't even pay attention whenever I fix a generator because I am focused on getting to the next generator (it's totally on me for not paying attention). All blood points I earn go to leveling up all the other characters at least to Level 5, both survivor and killer.

• PhantomMask20763
    PhantomMask20763 Member Posts: 5,176
    CoolAKn said:

I think for some people it just doesn't match their play style. Some survivors are objective-based, like I mostly am. Some survivors are distraction-based, where they can keep the killer busy while other do things.

Some people just don't see the need for it, but for my play style, having one perk that will alert me when the killer is nearby is all the stealth I might need. It also depends heavily on the available perks. For instance, I have a Level 15 David King, and I currently have No Mither, Resilience, Deja Vu, and Dead Hard. All of the other perks I have available don't grant me very much stealth. The only one that tells me where the killer is is Dark Sense, and most of the time, I don't even pay attention whenever I fix a generator because I am focused on getting to the next generator (it's totally on me for not paying attention). All blood points I earn go to leveling up all the other characters at least to Level 5, both survivor and killer.

True I guess my playstyle is being a stealthy guy lol
  • powerbats
    powerbats Member Posts: 7,068

I enjoy the stealthy playstyle but a lot of killers and survivors both in game and on the forums think it's toxic or unfun. In game both sides have threatened to report me for playing stealthy which i laugh at. The killers because I evaded them and didn't run around blindly in the open. The survivors for the same reason because i evaded the killer and didn't blindly run around in the open.

Some good examples are killers camping, I notice it right away so I skulk off and do gens. The other 1-2 decide to take the bait and run blindly in and get downed. I keep plugging away on gens and escape via gate or hatch. Afterwards I get a torrent of flaming about being too immersed or sacrificing teammates etc.

It's like why didn't you come to save us/them well duh you were camping in the basement, I'm not stupid nor am I giving you 4k for doing nothing. Well you obviously didn't/don't care about your team mates, no I cared about them enough not to let give you free kills.

Both sides say don't reward the camper, tehn both sides bash the person playing stealthy for being unfun and not rewarding said camper.

• PhantomMask20763
    powerbats said:

I enjoy the stealthy playstyle but a lot of killers and survivors both in game and on the forums think it's toxic or unfun. In game both sides have threatened to report me for playing stealthy which i laugh at. The killers because I evaded them and didn't run around blindly in the open. The survivors for the same reason because i evaded the killer and didn't blindly run around in the open.

Some good examples are killers camping, I notice it right away so I skulk off and do gens. The other 1-2 decide to take the bait and run blindly in and get downed. I keep plugging away on gens and escape via gate or hatch. Afterwards I get a torrent of flaming about being too immersed or sacrificing teammates etc.

It's like why didn't you come to save us/them well duh you were camping in the basement, I'm not stupid nor am I giving you 4k for doing nothing. Well you obviously didn't/don't care about your team mates, no I cared about them enough not to let give you free kills.

Both sides say don't reward the camper, tehn both sides bash the person playing stealthy for being unfun and not rewarding said camper.

Same when a killer is camping I just say ok and rush to the nearest gen and start to work, unfortunately most of my teammates dont do the same and end up getting downed trying to save the one who's getting camped. However if the killer leaves to hook the downed person and the person that was getting camped is still alive THEN I'll rescue, it's a shame stealth isnt really encouraged as much I find it fun 
  • jiminie
    jiminie Member Posts: 200

I personally like running around chasing killers, i know i'm a bad person, sorry

• Chi
    Chi Member Posts: 780

It gets boring really quick, playing stealthy. And getting chased makes me feel like I can actually help my teammates somewhat, by distracting the killer and have them waste time on me.
    My cosmetics on some survivors make it hard as well... Fashion over stealth any day~

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675

Some people are bored by stealth, but instead of making a game for the people that do, which is how this game was advertised, someone (my money's on the publisher) decided to do the opposite. Now the devs are stuck with it.

• Mister_Holdout
    Mister_Holdout Member Posts: 3,144

Survivors don't like stealth because it takes skill and isn't glamorous.

For some survivors, looping is their entire world. Any other play style is boring.

I honestly think survivors hate stealth because there's a lot of risk involved. You make a bad read and the killer will catch you. Looping is much more forgiving.

But for me, stealth is rewarding. There's a lot of satisfaction when you can just straight up make the killer lose track of you. That means you genuinely outplayed the killer.

• kone19
    kone19 Member Posts: 72
    Short attention spans. I’m also a stealth player
  • pemberley
    pemberley Member Posts: 1,510
    As a survivor, I like stealth. Mostly because I feel in control whereas going into a chase I panic and make bad decisions. It is also more immersive imo, because if you were really up against a killer you’d be dumb to run around them. 

As a killer i also prefer stealth because the looping and bait chasing is just obnoxious. 
  • Vietfox
    Vietfox Member Posts: 3,823
    Survivor main here: i usually play stealthy, but if i gotta face the doctor then i just run and yell "Geronimo". 
  • PhantomMask20763
    Vietfox said:
    Survivor main here: i usually play stealthy, but if i gotta face the doctor then i just run and yell "Geronimo". 
     Yeah that's why I dislike the doctor and freddy, they force me out of my whole playstyle of being stealthy but I just try to not be seen once I'm past madness teir 1 and once I hear the lullaby. 
  • Milo
    Milo Member Posts: 7,383

@CoolAKn said:

I do both :chuffed:

• MegMain98
    MegMain98 Member Posts: 2,913

@Chi said:
    It gets boring really quick, playing stealthy. And getting chased makes me feel like I can actually help my teammates somewhat, by distracting the killer and have them waste time on me.
    My cosmetics on some survivors make it hard as well... Fashion over stealth any day~

It depends on my character, I’ll play stealthy on Claudette. Although on Meg I use the long red hair and grey track outfit.

• Esheon
    Esheon Member Posts: 568
    Stealth costs points. I prefer playing stealthily, but being stealthy the whole match can cost upwards of 5k possible points. It's also harder to pip, as you're mostly ignoring 1/4 of the pip categories.
  • CornChip
    CornChip Member Posts: 540

Stealth brings nothing to the team.. while one of your teammates is buying time with the killer, two others are doing gens.. your crouched in a bush/locker somewhere.. being a survivor means teamwork.. thats just my 2c though

• MoodyFoodie
    MoodyFoodie Member Posts: 5

@PhantomMask20763 said:
    I've been having lots of fun playing stealthily and creeping around the map all immersed and stuff but some people say they hate it, in my opinion it's pretty fun. Maybe it's not for everyone, I'm not gonna force someone to play a certain way

I also like stealth it makes me win more games easily.

• powerbats

@CornChip said:
    Stealth brings nothing to the team.. while one of your teammates is buying time with the killer, two others are doing gens.. your crouched in a bush/locker somewhere.. being a survivor means teamwork.. thats just my 2c though

It depends, if you're stealthing around doing nothing the whole match waiting for the exits gates to be powered or hatch then yes. But blindly running around non stop usually in full view of the killer and then getting downed how is that team work?

• CornChip
    CornChip Member Posts: 540
    powerbats said:

@CornChip said:

It depends, if you're stealthing around doing nothing the whole match waiting for the exits gates to be powered or hatch then yes. But blindly running around non stop usually in full view of the killer and then getting downed how is that team work?

Run bond for a few games and you will see the dumbest stealthy survivors hiding in lockers crouching in bushes doing nothing while you run the killer around across the map... That's what playing stealthy does to you.. You gotta have a healthy mix 
  • akbays35
    akbays35 Member Posts: 1,123

Do a mix of both? I often just break chases from vaulting mindgaming then hiding somewhere random and waste more of the killers time than just looping and eventually getting hit from blodlust.

• powerbats

@Orion said:

@CornChip said:
    Run bond for a few games and you will see the dumbest stealthy survivors hiding in lockers crouching in bushes doing nothing while you run the killer around across the map... That's what playing stealthy does to you.. You gotta have a healthy mix 

Hiding while doing nothing is not stealth. Play a stealth game or two to understand what true stealth is.

This +100 true stealth isn't about hiding and doing nothing, that's basically just griefing your teammates and leeching off them. If you want stealthy play that's sneaking around the killer when they're close. It's about sneaking that Hex totem under their nose or sneaking past to safety.

I think @Orion and may'be @SovererignKing have posted some videos of really good stealth play, I've got some recodred as well I'll have to upload.

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675
    edited September 2018

@powerbats said:

@Orion said:

@CornChip said:

Hiding while doing nothing is not stealth. Play a stealth game or two to understand what true stealth is.

This +100 true stealth isn't about hiding and doing nothing, that's basically just griefing your teammates and leeching off them. If you want stealthy play that's sneaking around the killer when they're close. It's about sneaking that Hex totem under their nose or sneaking past to safety.

I think @Orion and may'be @SovererignKing have posted some videos of really good stealth play, I've got some recodred as well I'll have to upload.

I have never posted a video on this forum, or at least none that I can recall. I have, however, shown stealth gameplay on my stream, many months ago. I often go unnoticed by Killers even when they're walking past me out in the open.

• powerbats

@Orion said:

@powerbats said:

@Orion said:

@CornChip said:

I have never posted a video on this forum, or at least none that I can recall. I have, however, shown stealth gameplay on my stream, many months ago. I often go unnoticed by Killers even when they're walking past me out in the open.

Ok thanks for clarifying that, I know you did the streams but I can't remember who else posted videos. i'll try and post some alter today of what I at least consider stealthy gameplay.

• Zarathos
    Zarathos Member Posts: 1,911
    edited September 2018

Competitively i don't trust my teammates to hold up a good chase. Some will do way better then me but most of the time if the killers attention isn't on me it ends badly for me as my team will go down very fast. Once players start going down generator progression ceases and then everyone's diving hooks for saves which is sub optimal. However if you go loud and get the killers attention on you then the other players can focus on getting gens. Don't go clicking flashlights or teabag you ll only be letting the killer know your good at looping and then he will ignore you in the higher ranks. Instead hang out in the open pretend you don't know where the killer is and then begin the chase. Stealth is very important for nurse games but the rest of the killers can pretty much be looped around the map with some good map knowledge.I recommend you take maps that can track killers belonging when looping hag and trapper as with red twine or rainbow map your map will pick up on the location of all the traps letting you know which loops are safe and which aren't.